Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Is there a Mage class in Driftmoon?

Is there a Mage class in Driftmoon?

Fiach 11 years ago
Played the game up until you get a bow, looking at the skills available at level up, there doesnt seem to be any "Mage" type skills, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help

Edited 11 years ago
#
ville 11 years ago
You haven't gone blind, don't worry. Leveling in Driftmoon isn't actually class-based, rather it's dependent on the talents you select. We made a decision early on that the player in the game isn't a powerful wizard, so none of the talents available will look like magical spells. I'm actually hoping that someone will make a magic-user mod, and it shouldn't be too difficult with some of the new fancy scripting tools we're getting in the final release version. That's a tip for anyone interested...

By the way, the talent tree will grow by four new talents in the next update! My favourite is the Goldfish talent, doubly useful.
#
Fiach 11 years ago
Ah, OK, thanks for the reply, I tend to just play mages in rpg's.

OK, so I went back in the game with archer in mind, it looks like I have to buy a sword skill before I can buy an archery skill?

Thanks again.

Edited 11 years ago
#
ville 11 years ago
We've removed that requirement from the final version, it's been commented about before.

Driftmoon isn't a combat-heavy game - in fact we've focused most of our development efforts into the story and the characters. Still, we've spent a lot of time designing the combat side of Driftmoon, but it's definitely not supposed to compete with action RPG's. I believe the finesses of combat in Driftmoon really come out farther into the game where the opponents are more varied and depending on your skills, you can get fairly creative.
#
Fiach 11 years ago
OK, thanks for the reply
#
Anne 11 years ago
Hi Fiach, here's my two cents as well:

Like Ville wrote, the talent tree in our current version is considerably less finalized than in the full version (which has been undergoing beta testing by us, and in a few days by our beta testing group).

We're trying to focus most of our efforts into getting everything in the game finished soon, and I think that's why Ville forgot to mention that the Vanilla Driftmoon does actually have some mage skills, a bit later on into the game (bless, and summoning a stone giant, for example - and naturally we have a bunch of potions as well). Just wanted to mention it, so that you don't get the wrong idea. And in addition to those, there's a whole bunch of other non-melee based tactics you can use against opponents, once you advance a bit futher (you can build your own walking, exploding barrels, use mines, etc).

But like my dear husband said, while we've actually put quite a lot of effort into combat as well, Driftmoon is not a game heavy in combat - there's many more things to do in it, than just fight your way through. If you'd like more combat in it (and thus, also faster advance in the combat skills), I suggest you play with one of the two harder difficulty settings.
#
Fiach 11 years ago
Hi Anne, thanks for the reply

It's not that I want more combat, it's just that I prefer class based combat, eg. Mage, Archer etc. and ideally composite/hybrid incarnations of those classes.

I got the impression (dunno how) that the game was 98% complete, but from what you say, I am mistaken and apologise for pre-judging it.

What I did play, I found interesting and enjoyable.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Fiach: The game we're still holding onto is almost a 100% complete, but the version available is still missing a few things. Luckily, that should change soon.

Nice to hear you enjoyed the alpha you played, thanks!
#
Forum » Is there a Mage class in Driftmoon?

Your email:
Your name: