Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Got a question about Notrium? Ask it here!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Got a question about Notrium? Ask it here!

Uberzolik 11 years ago
    Is there any way to run the game windowed? I can't seem to find any option for it.
    #
    INFERNUS 11 years ago
    Go to C:\Program files\Notrium and there is an setup.exe there, open it and tick "Windowed"
    #
    LordCirth 11 years ago
    I think many people would return to modding Notrium if the source code were released under the GPL. This would allow a higher quality of mods, and perhaps native Linux support. I love Notrium and have played it and its mods for years, but I have recently switched entirely to Linux, and entirely free software. I would love to make a mod, and have lots of ideas, but I prefer not to compromise my freedom. I can't see any reason not to release the code, since you never charged money for the game. Notrium is the perfect game for a community project, IMHO. Thanks.
    #
    MageKing17 11 years ago
    If I recall, making Notrium open source was a lot more complicated than other games Ville has released the source code to, like Wazzal. I could be misremembering; it may also just be that Notrium's code was so messy that Ville didn't want anyone to see it. On the other hand, I seem to recall Notrium being able to run on GNU/Linux through Wine; still, if you have moral objections to using Wine, I suppose we could lobby Ville to release at least some of Notrium's source code.
    #
    Anonymous1157 11 years ago
    IIRC, the problem was a combination of messy source code, and the fact that Grim2D is closed-source and not being updated. Even if Ville released his part of the source code, a Linux port would require a completely new game engine, and even if you just wanted to build an updated Windows version, you'd need to go find an old IDE to work with it.

If you're asking for a source code release so that you can port it yourself, I think you'd be better off building a new engine that interprets Notrium scripts.

Edit: ...Oh, and as long as I'm here, I should probably mention that Notrium's Wikipedia page may/not be deleted soon because it doesn't meet notability guidelines. <.<

Edited 11 years ago
    #
    Amarth 11 years ago
    *shrug*

The code is cleaner than the other games, an SDL replacement for Grim2D isn't hard to make (as opposed to the other games where DirectX-calls were sprinkled *everywhere*), and a Linux version isn't hard to build with SDL backing, there are a few Windows-only parts in it (VS libs) but they are easily replaced by cross-platform libs.

I think Ville has other plans with the code or just doesn't want to open source this already before his next project is done.
    #
    ville 11 years ago
    I don't actually see any objections to open-sourcing Notrium. I might do it one day when time allows.
    #
    My Little Penguins: Linux is Magic.

... That's all I have to say about that.

Oh, wait a minute, there's one more thing. If the source code ever does get released and/or there's a reason to make another official release, could someone make the game support a full range of screen resolutions? I'm forcing it to run at 1440x900 and the right edge of the screen streaks. Everything works otherwise.
    #
    MageKing17 11 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Oh, wait a minute, there's one more thing. If the source code ever does get released and/or there's a reason to make another official release, could someone make the game support a full range of screen resolutions? I'm forcing it to run at 1440x900 and the right edge of the screen streaks. Everything works otherwise.
    Seconded; I just tried running it at 1920x1080, and I get some... unusual graphical artifacts. Nothing too major, but mildly annoying.
    #
    dfTruF (guest) 11 years ago
    Notrium is not working on my windows xp. Instead of textures there are white rectangles. It doesn't matter if I run this game windowed or in full screen, 16/32 bit colors. What is going on?
    #
    What graphics hardware do you have? It sounds like your driver is too old, or your hardware is unsupported.

(If you don't know what graphics hardware you have, you can find out by right-clicking any link to My Computer and clicking Manage, then opening the the Device Manager from there. Look under Display Adapters.)

If it's even a viable option, you should consider getting a newer computer. It's very rare for people to have graphical problems with this game, notwithstanding forcing the game to use strange resolutions.
    #
    ville 11 years ago
    It sounds like the graphics driver doesn't support the kind of texture Notrium wants to use. Either you have too old, or too new driver/hardware.
    #
    Too new? Is that even possible? Windows 8 has a bunch of new compatibility features under the hood, so much so that there's no need to disable compositing or change themes like Windows 7 does. (Considering the completely new direction Microsoft is taking some other parts of the OS, I found this surprising.)
    #
    Grim Reaper 11 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Too new? Is that even possible?
    You've never tried playing an older game on a newer system without any compatibility options/software (emulators such as DOSBox counting as such)?
    #
    ville 11 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Too new? Is that even possible? Windows 8 has a bunch of new compatibility features under the hood, so much so that there's no need to disable compositing or change themes like Windows 7 does. (Considering the completely new direction Microsoft is taking some other parts of the OS, I found this surprising.)

It might be possible that support for some DirectX 8 stuff is going out of fashion, now that we have those fancy programmable shaders and the like.

Don't worry, I still plan on releasing Notrium source code at some point, and we'll just have to hope that someone can upgrade it a bit.

Edited 11 years ago
    #
    dfTruF (guest) 11 years ago
    Thank You so much for replies. It seems that I have too old laptop with integrated graphic unit.
    #
    7were (guest) 11 years ago
    Hi i am new to Notrium and i need to know
    how do you use berserk
    #
    Anne 11 years ago
    Hi 7were! We'd really like to help you out with your berserk problem, but I'm afraid neither Ville nor me know the answer to this one. I'm not that surprised about myself, but since Ville didn't remember anything about it either (he's either got selective amnesia, or) it might be in one of the Notrium mods.

Any idea, anyone else?
    #
    MageKing17 11 years ago
    I think this comes from an error in one of the journal entries for the Alien. When you gain Evolution 3 Abilities, you see this text ("first pick up" text for "Night Vision Strong"):
    You feel stronger and your Night Vision has become entirely evolved, allowing you to see clearly at night. Along with your Night Vision you've gained the ability to detect creatures nearby, Spit Acid and use a Berserk Attack. To further your evolution you'll now need to kill more challenging prey (Blue Alien).
    There is no aforementioned Berserk Attack; Evolution 3 just gives you Night Vision Strong, Motion Sensing Near, and Spit Acid.

EDIT: Why yes, I did find all that information out just by searching the text files with a text editor instead of using the NMV, why do you ask?

Edited 11 years ago
    #
    ChrisM (guest) 11 years ago
    This is probably a silly question but how do you drop items?
    #
    Anne 11 years ago
    ChrisM (guest) said:

I'm not a Notrium expert myself, but if I remember correctly, you need to press the letter D.
    #
    Guest2 (guest) 11 years ago
    Anne said:
    ChrisM (guest) said:

I'm not a Notrium expert myself, but if I remember correctly, you need to press the letter D.
    yes you're right
    #
    Begginer (guest) 11 years ago
    Hi I'm a begginer in a Notrium.I got a one question, how to find long metal poles please someone help me.
    #
    Begginer (guest) 11 years ago
    iberianshadow said:
    Erm... I'm new to the forum, but a Notrium addict, and I just wanted to know if there are any plans for further mods or sequels to Notrium? I think the mods made so far are awesome, especially the Werivar and Werivar expansion. Kudos to the creator(s). Ive looked around and cant seem to find much for the past year or so... Any ideas?
    Hi I have a question for you. Where do u dounload the Wevrivar expansion mod? Please answer me.
    #
    INFERNUS 11 years ago
    Mods
    Here is the harwe's list of mods

And for the metal rods, you can either find them in the ship cementary map, or in robot's base in desert I think.
    #
    van0014 (guest) 10 years ago
    Theres also one metal rod at the beginning, where your pod crash lands. Unless you've already got it.
    #
    Priok 10 years ago
    I recently got back into playing this game after a 2 year or so break, and I'm kind of confused about some stuff. I know that there's an ice area somewhere, but it has been a long time since then. I think there were a few marines near the entrance, or inside of it too.

Does anybody know where the Ice Area is? I thought it might be in the Ship Cemetery, or the Dried Up Marsh, but I can't find the entrance to it there. I've also looked throughout the Internet, but I can't find anything about it. any help would be appreciated

edit: nevermind, I should have searched more in-game before posting this I found it and it's in the Ship Cemetery

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    Guest123123123123123 (guest) 10 years ago
    Hi, ummm, I've unzipped the werivar folders to the main game directory to play the mod, however when I start the game, I am missing the lvl 1 psionic blast, shield, etc. items that you normally start with as a werivar. I do start off with that psi-temperature regulation, so I'm confused why I start off with that one, but not the others. Even if I keep leveling up I never get those skills either, so my claws remain at lvl 1 even though it should level up after I get enough levels.

Also, I noticed that there are several levels of the increased xp special skill. I can get the first one, but the next higher levels of that don't seem to appear. I'm not sure if this is related to the problems above.

Also, how do you check what version notrium you're using? I just downloaded the one from the front page.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    If I recall correctly, you do not start with lvl 1 psionic blast, along with some other skills, as a Werivar. Rather, you must keep collecting experience until he says "I grow stronger!", which will give you the next step of Werivar evolution. If collecting a lot of experience doesn't help either, then I'm clueless myself.
    Edited 10 years ago
    #
    kinORnirvana 10 years ago
    I can't find Particle Accelerator (v 1.3.4 - latest from site). It is just missing on the map. I started to visit mining fields (a map to the right) but no luck. I can't craft a weapon. I have only parts which are not useful and can't be combined.
    #
    feafea (guest) 10 years ago
    kinORnirvana, go the Ship Graveyard (most top-left part of the planet) and there are a lot there.
    My question is where can I find a pistol? I have to get another for my Marine Buddy to have a sniper.
    #
    Bladekill1298 9 years ago
    I dont Understand but what are freaking turrets for i mean where would you use them? Cause in default at the beginning area theres only like 6 aliens so why would you need to place a turret there?
    #
    INFERNUS 9 years ago
    They are useful if you want to make a base of some sort. I once used few MG and laser turrets at the brown alien hive nest, along with tons of barricades, lets just say that I was never hungry again.

You can also carry them with the "V" button (Or is it "C"?) so you can drop it when someone is following you.

Also, the turrets are massively needed in werival mod.
    #
    MageKing17 9 years ago
    Bladekill1298 said:
    I dont Understand but what are freaking turrets for i mean where would you use them? Cause in default at the beginning area theres only like 6 aliens so why would you need to place a turret there?
    More aliens spawn all the time; as far as I can remember, there is no area (excepting possibly the VC bunker; it's been too long since I've played for me to remember exactly what was in there) that can be rendered free of hostiles.

INFERNUS said:
    werival mod
    *Werivar
    #
    madscientist 8 years ago
    When you return to a psionic dreamscape after you already finished it once, and go to the final area, how do you exit it?
    #
    Forum » Got a question about Notrium? Ask it here!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: