Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium modding questions/answers

Admiral 16 years ago
    Oh, by the way all my ideas, and the subsequent mod, are to be used by anyone who can use them to make a mod of their own... improve an already existing mod... or any other concievable way to benefit the users of this forum.

Oh and i plan to have an exp bar using effect 44 in the creatures Death block to increase bar (insert number) or exp bar by that creatures exp worth BUT as an extra i want to have each creature saying (in the same way Hermit does) 'kill me to gain XX xp.' If at all possible...

Would that tax the cpu too much?
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Admiral" said:
    Oh, by the way all my ideas, and the subsequent mod, are to be used by anyone who can use them to make a mod of their own... improve an already existing mod... or any other concievable way to benefit the users of this forum.

Oh and i plan to have an exp bar using effect 44 in the creatures Death block to increase bar (insert number) or exp bar by that creatures exp worth BUT as an extra i want to have each creature saying (in the same way Hermit does) 'kill me to gain XX xp.' If at all possible...

Would that tax the cpu too much?
    I'm a bit confused. Do you want numbers to appear over the creature once you kill it, or do you want a creature walking around saying "kill me"
    Once you kill it: Deathblock - drop creature, this creature says something like "you gained 40XP!" by using effect 47 in the timed block, and this creature dies after 1 second.

Walking around: Timed block - effect 47, make sure the dialog length works with the timed block frequency.
    This would be too CPU intensive, in theory it should use less then when the creature was alive.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Yeah, just tried it out, did Not like it. And it make the enemy WAY too easy to spot. Still working on it though...
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    The creature walking around screaming "KILL ME FOR EXP" would be pretty strange. Have you tried the death and then dialog thing? That shouldn't reveal anything.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Indeed, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable solution.

In fact, this sounds like the only mod whose solutions are incredibly easy to do in the Notrium engine. We've obviously all been trying to go about modding in an incredibly roundabout way.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Yeah, i'm looking at this and going "wow, this is all so simple and yet so expansive".

It's not "original" per se, but god am i tired of people wanting originality for the sake of originality. They're "standards" because they're the best ideas.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Alright, thanks for the encouragement guys/gals! I'm going to start coding the whole mod!
    The Oath:
    http://www.monkkonen.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3568

By the way, how many inventories are there?
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Is it just me or are specialties for creatures nowhere documented? Searching through the FAQ didn't help me anyway.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    //Creature specialties in creatures.dat:
    0=has bar parameter0 from bars.dat with minimum parameter1 and maximum parameter2 and current value of parameter3 (if any bar reaches minimum, dies)
    1=weapon class parameter0 damage is multiplied by parameter1
    2=carries light parameter0 size parameter1 transparency parameter2, attached to (parameter3, 0=hands, 1=legs, 2=head)
    3=force this creature's AI to be calculated always
    4=prevent collision detection for this creature, parameter0 (1=prevent plot_object collision detection), parameter1 (1=prevent creature collision detection), parameter2 (1=prevent bullet collision detection), parameter3 (1=prevent prop collision detection)
    5=force this creature's AI to be never calculated (prefer setting this as the first specialty, use this for every creature that doesn't need AI)

Source: A text file in the data/default folder called Effects and Conditions List.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Admiral" said:

By the way, how many inventories are there?
    I am 99% sure that there is 20
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    After trawling through the Modding FAQ i have discovered there are only 10 (including 0) but even though i've found a way of only using 1 inventory (by removing all the items used afterward) I found this out after i'd coded four of the altars... So no problems
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Would it be possible to have the player have a certain weapon when he changes into something else as determined by the last weapon he was carrying?

Basically, if i had a button that makes that player go from race A to B. And when creature A presses the button while holding weapon x, i want creature B to be holding weapon x(B). And the same for weapon y to weapon y(B) or whatever.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    No easy way... the only solution I can come up with is a script for every weapon in your game.... Very messy.

P.S. I suppose this is modding related... Does anyone know how to turn off Notrium's Windowed Mode? You know to get full screen?

@ Aegis, according to that little file 'effects and conditions list' there are 20 inventories but I haven't tried using any more than 0-6...
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "Admiral" said:
    No easy way... the only solution I can come up with is a script for every weapon in your game.... Very messy.
    Only bother making those scripts if they have multiple purposes.
    Eg. In my mod they're used for grenade right-clicking and stealth mode enabling and disabling.
    "Admiral" said:
    P.S. I suppose this is modding related... Does anyone know how to turn off Notrium's Windowed Mode? You know to get full screen?
    In the main Notrium directory there is a program called "setup"
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I was fairly sure there were 10 inventories only, though it could easily be 20.

"Crazy" said:
    Would it be possible to have the player have a certain weapon when he changes into something else as determined by the last weapon he was carrying?

Basically, if i had a button that makes that player go from race A to B. And when creature A presses the button while holding weapon x, i want creature B to be holding weapon x(B). And the same for weapon y to weapon y(B) or whatever.
    I think it could be done without scripts by adding invisible counter items and checking for their existence upon switching races, though that's very messy too. In short, there's no quick-and-dirty method, like adding 100 to the identifier or something equally simple.
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    52=active inventory=parameter1 (0 to 20)
    From the effects and conditions list.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    So that's 21 inventories.
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    I'm hitting a major problem.

Say I have a plot object with a timed effect to fire a single particle every 1 millisecond as long as its conditions are met. On screen, it looks great, and doesn't cause any slow down. But if the player moves into the area with that plot object after a minute in the game, that plot object will fire a particle for every 1 millisecond that has passed since the game started, as long as its conditions are met when the player enters the area.
    I know this is happening with plot objects, and it could be happening with all timed effect blocks. It wasn't a problem when my mod was confined to one area, but now I have several, the game is pausing when moving between areas as it deals with the large amount of particles etc created through this bug, and sometimes locking up completely if it's been some time since the game started.

A lot of my mod is built around timed effects, and unless I can think of a way around this, it's going to kill my mod.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "roburky" said:
    I'm hitting a major problem.

Say I have a plot object with a timed effect to fire a single particle every 1 millisecond as long as its conditions are met. On screen, it looks great, and doesn't cause any slow down. But if the player moves into the area with that plot object after a minute in the game, that plot object will fire a particle for every 1 millisecond that has passed since the game started, as long as its conditions are met when the player enters the area.
    I know this is happening with plot objects, and it could be happening with all timed effect blocks. It wasn't a problem when my mod was confined to one area, but now I have several, the game is pausing when moving between areas as it deals with the large amount of particles etc created through this bug, and sometimes locking up completely if it's been some time since the game started.

A lot of my mod is built around timed effects, and unless I can think of a way around this, it's going to kill my mod.
    That is a very nasty problem, and I can't believe we didn't know about this before.

Does anyone else remember hearing about this before now?
    #
    Redemption 16 years ago
    Try condition 15.
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    I've been using condition 15. While it presumably is preventing any of the objects off-screen from doing this, any object in range to have that condition met when the player enters the area will still successfully fire once for every time it could have fired since the game started.
    #
    Admiral 16 years ago
    Roburky, could you give us the code for your plot object?
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    I believe it's actually a number of different things combining to produce the noticable effect.

I'll upload my mod as it is currently for you guys to take a look at.
    Edit: I've got the latest version uploaded now. If anyone would like to take a look at it to help me fix this, please send me an email.
    SOS at roburky.co.uk

Edit: I emailed Ville and got his thoughts on it. He suggested using an interval of 0 for the timers on the plot objects causing trouble, which causes them to activate once every frame, but called only once upon entering the area. Combined with a bit of condition 8 (randomness) to keep their output roughly how they were before, it works perfectly. Crisis averted!
    #
    FaV 16 years ago
    How I can change all text in game: "Start Game", "Continue" and e.t.c. in main menu?
    #
    Redemption 16 years ago
    You can't change those. The most you can do is change the font.
    #
    FaV 16 years ago
    This bad. I was wanted translited Notrium on Russian, but this is problem for me.
    #
    FaV 16 years ago
    Can I create double weapon for tower? In order to bullet fly no ----- but =====.
    #
    roburky 16 years ago
    Use effect 66

66=fire weapon parameter1 (creature is affected by weapon kickback), times parameter2, fire location x offset parameter3 (0=player race default), fire location y offset parameter4 (0=player race default)

paramater3 and parameter4 let you choose the location on the creature the bullet comes from. So have two effects like this:

66;//effect number
    18.000000;//parameter1 (weapon number)
    1.000000;//parameter2
    2.0000000;//parameter3 (x offset)
    -26.0000000;//parameter4 (y offset)
    66;//effect number
    18.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    -3.0000000;//parameter3
    -26.0000000;//parameter4

Put them in the fire effects of a dummy weapon, or something like that.
    These are the effects I was using for a creature that fired two lasers, one from each eye. The creature's weapon didn't do anything itself, just used these two effects to fire the lasers when it tired to fire its normal weapon.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I used a similar weapon in one or another Wazzal II version to have an alien mothership fire five beam lasers simultaneously. The odd thing about Wazzal II, though, is that the "double lasers" you see most often actually have a graphic of two lasers side-by-side. I thought that to be quite silly.
    #
    BlackJackZero 16 years ago
    I'm looking through mods such as the weriver to see how to use the right click to (for example fire a second weapon), and be able to put weapons in the right hand slot on the game to use duel weapons. in the mod i'm creating, i'm trying to make such a thing. i know how to create quick keys for certain items.
    and can someone explain to me how to 'pick-up items' works. what file is that in. i thought it was the scripts, and after searching, came up empty handed.
    #
    Redemption 16 years ago
    The pick up items thing is built-in to Notrium's engine, you can't change that.

Right-click weapons are made by having an item with a wield script that has condition 37 and effect 24. I put up the code in the library a while ago, so you can just copy that (here). As for the right hand slot thing, I think it's possible to do it that way, but I've never really tried it out that much. Aegis has been doing some work on dual wielding different weapons, so he might have some more tips.
    #
    BlackJackZero 16 years ago
    alright, that makes sense. thanks alot though. that one thing has been bugging me for months.
    #
    Fixo 16 years ago
    I'm trying to make a mod but I've got a problem. I've placed some items, props and no random objects "terrain" but when I want to play it some times it crashes and some times it starts but every thing is swarming with items and props !!!! What should i do ???
    #
    SmokinBaraka 16 years ago
    is it possible and if so how can i make a gun like a machine gun that shoots in bursts of 3 bullets at a time, at about .1/.2 second intervals at each fire (and cant then fire again till its shot all 3 bullets),

i put in the 3 bullets at a time thingy, but it continued to just shoot like the rapid fire pistol. and would not burst fire even like the shotgun

also, when your combining things like the ether and the bullets to get the sniper bullets, can you make it so you combine like 20 ether and bullets in the same combine time to speed up the process?
    #
    Aegis 16 years ago
    "SmokinBaraka" said:

i put in the 3 bullets at a time thingy, but it continued to just shoot like the rapid fire pistol. and would not burst fire even like the shotgun
    Change the spread.

"SmokinBaraka" said:

also, when your combining things like the ether and the bullets to get the sniper bullets, can you make it so you combine like 20 ether and bullets in the same combine time to speed up the process?
    No. That's in-built into Notrium's engine. The least you could do would be to create an item which takes 20 ether and 20 bullets, then gives you 20 sniper bullets.
    But there will be no combine time.
    #
    Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: