Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium modding questions/answers

seddo111 15 years ago
    thank you, but now i need help with the sort of everything, well ill explain in steps,
    because i am not a good scripter or whatever, i have copied the ancient ruins climate data, is this ok?
    now all i need is the areas.dat, but i'm completely lost, if someone could send or write here a simple lowdown of of how i get the data i need to write in here, i would be very grateful
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    ok, i have filled in the area.dat, but now my map wont run, could someone please show me or tell me what i am doing wrong?
    42;//--------------------------------------------------------
    survivor camp;//area name
    8;//area class
    1;//climate in climate_types.dat, -1=random climate
    36;//terrain map number
    -1;//wrapping, -1=no wrapping, 0=wrap horizontal, 1=wrap vertical, 2=wrap both
    2;//random object density, the bigger the value, the more the area will get. This is multiplied ingame by the area size.
    begin_alien_list;
    2;//alien type in creatures.dat
    20;//number of these aliens
    1;//side
    end_alien_list;
    begin_excluded_plot_object_classes;
    end_excluded_plot_object_classes;
    it asppears that the survivors from three of the crashed escape pods in this area have grouped together and formed a small camp, best go and see if there is anything i can do.
    end_of_file;

any help will be much apreciated

-------EDIT-------
    got it to work by changing the area class to 3 lol
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    i understand that you can only place a map in if it has a area class of 0-7, so when i changed my map to area class 3, sometimes themive shows up instead, what can i do to chage this?
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Use a different area class for one of them. That's about it.
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    thank you
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    new question lol,
    is there any way i can get my creatures to spawn at aelected times of the day, and if possable how, oh and can i controll the ammount that will be spawned or will they just keep coming out? lol
    any help will be much apreciated
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    First of all you need a bar to measure time, one that clicks over whenever it reaches a new day.
    Make this bar increase by 1 in sync with the lighting (may require trial & error) and once it reaches 25 it clicks back to 1 (through a script with condition 38 and effect 17)
    Then create a creature that drops your spawned creatures (effect 10, using the timed block) and drains it's own bar by 1 (effect 4), as long as the player's time bar is within a certain amount (condition 24 & 25) and that it's own bar is above or at 1 (condition 3)
    More on creature's own bar: Make it start it on 10 (10 creatures to be dropped) and each time it drops a creature this bar will drop by 1. Each day this bar will charge up back to 10 in a timed block, using effect 17 and using condition 38. Condition 38 should relate to the player's time bar, making sure that it is on 1.
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    thank you,
    #
    fifth 15 years ago
    well you can call me stupid but is there actualy a way of setting how much damage a weapon deals??? if yes i didnt get it yet
    #
    fifth 15 years ago
    awwwwwwww found it out myself sorry i bothered you ^^'
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    spose that is the best way tho, lol, me im just usles at this stuf lol
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    i have been using gimp for quite a while, but only editing things, are there any tutorials on actually drawing characters, because i don't get why there are so many different pictures for one character, and if you draw them on different layers etc
    please help lol
    #
    Grim Reaper 15 years ago
    I have a question, open to answering by all established and to-be modders...

How would YOU (yes, YOU) go about creating something as strange and abnormal as...

...DISTRESS BACON?!?

Yes, this is a real question. I just wanted to add a bit of "drama" to it.
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:

How would YOU (yes, YOU) go about creating something as strange and abnormal as...

...DISTRESS BACON?!?

Has someone already created the Bacon Ray?
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:

...DISTRESS BACON?!?

...And this "Distress Bacon" would do what, exactly? Attract aliens to its baconey-goodness?

"Murska" said:
    Has someone already created the Bacon Ray?
    The core concept to make the Bacon Ray work was posted, but I don't believe anyone actually went and coded it.

Actually, I think I once wrote some quick data file entries for it and posted them, but without graphics. You might be able to find them if you look around (and it wasn't deleted).
    #
    Grim Reaper 15 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Grim Reaper" said:

...DISTRESS BACON?!?

...And this "Distress Bacon" would do what, exactly? Attract aliens to its baconey-goodness?
    That's for the modder(s) to decide.
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    what do the parameters mean when u put effects etc in?
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Why that's the basis of Notrium modding!
    Parameters are basically options and choices which you choose to dermine the outcome of the effect number...
    It's pretty hard to explain so I'll use examples.

Your everyday effect number:
    1;//effect number
    1000.000000;//parameter1
    10.000000;//parameter2
    3.000000;//parameter3
    1.000000;//parameter4

Note taken from effects and conditions file:
    1=multiply creature speed by parameter3 for time parameter1 with creature visual effect from weapon parameter2, parameter4=disable speed change when bullet hits (0=no/1=yes)

So, in short, parameters are simply a method of linking the 2 together, so that people can understand and modify the code. It could just as easily be colour coded, or letter coded but using the word 'parameter' is just easier.
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    is this the same for all the things that use parameters, (i really am a noob lol)
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Well, I don't really know what things you are talking about...
    But the word parameter basically means 'option'
    Effect number 2 uses effect numbers 2's parameters, Effect number 3 uses effect numbers 3's parameters, etc.
    You can check to see which each parameter does within an effect number by going to the notes/effect & conditions list file.
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    thank you
    #
    roy 15 years ago
    I can't seem to get the jungle pillar on top of the walls when I try to edit the starting location on weriver in the editor. The walls always get over the pillars and idk about you but it doesn't look good.
    #
    Curudan 15 years ago
    "roy" said:
    I can't seem to get the jungle pillar on top of the walls when I try to edit the starting location on weriver in the editor. The walls always get over the pillars and idk about you but it doesn't look good.
    Hover your mouse over the pillars and press the "F" key, that should get the pillars to stick in front.

And now for my own question. Is it possible to change a players bar based on a creatures bar? If not, is there any way to change a creature into another creature while keeping the same health value? I don't want my marines to be healed whenever i switch their weapons.
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    15=change creature into creature number parameter1 for time parameter2 (-1 for infinite) with creature visual effect from weapon parameter3, parameter4 (0=reset bars, 1=don't reset bars)
    Just set parameter 4 to 1.
    #
    Curudan 15 years ago
    Gosh, am i dumb or what?

Edit:Looks like my problem was the outdated modding faq. :/
    #
    roy 15 years ago
    With that f thing it shows it in the front at the editor but not when I start a new game...
    #
    MindFreak 15 years ago
    Would it be possible to... Create some sort of herblore mod? Like collecting the native plants, and combining them into potions/medkits? And if so, how?
    #
    roy 15 years ago
    "MindFreak" said:
    Would it be possible to... Create some sort of herblore mod? Like collecting the native plants, and combining them into potions/medkits? And if so, how?
    I'm no expert but yes it's possible. just add some new items and plants to the game, the new plants would have a pick plant option.

Actually not a bad idea, might try it out out myself (personal use though).
    #
    MindFreak 15 years ago
    ...Actually... Why not just a full blown hunting/farming/crafting mod? Now thats a great idea! You could like... hunt down the more powerful aliens... And tan the armor plating to make various things. Throw some cooking in there, maybe the ability to make your own green house!
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    i was wondering if there was any way to get an npc to move to a specific location instead of just roaming and such?
    thanks in advance
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    "seddo111" said:
    i was wondering if there was any way to get an npc to move to a specific location instead of just roaming and such?
    thanks in advance
    You need to make a trail of eat objects to get the creature to the location. But if you want this on a squad command scale you should make an item which runs a script which drops the creature eat object at the mouse location. You need the script because it is the only way to drop the item at the mouse location. You can adjusts a creature's eat object through the creatures.dat file. Make sure that the creature's AI tactic allows eating.
    But unfortunately whenever I have used this method I have found that if the creature is too far away from the eat object it wont go to the location. I fixed this in my mod but it is very complicated and is not worth explaining unless if someone asks.
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    thank you, i was only planning on simple patrol routes or ships dropping men off at a specific point then flying of lol
    #
    seddo111 15 years ago
    ok, another question, hope it can be done but i prob wont work, so any way
    in my mod, i was planning on having a generator which you could hook thing up to with wires, would there be a way for the player to place these wires down and connect them to other objects that need power to run?
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "seddo111" said:
    ok, another question, hope it can be done but i prob wont work, so any way
    in my mod, i was planning on having a generator which you could hook thing up to with wires, would there be a way for the player to place these wires down and connect them to other objects that need power to run?
    Not that I can think of.
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    I can think of is that each wire is a creature which fires an invisible electricity weapon around itself as long as it has electricity. Its electricity weapon will hit other wires (to do this they need to be enemy sides, just make a wire side and make it an enemy of itself) which will raise a bar which will make the next wire fire more electricity. Or you could use a condition which detects creature distance and use 2 different creatures (wire with electricity and wire without electricity) to determine if it's linked or something.
    #
    Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: