Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium modding questions/answers

MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    There's was another NMV previously, but it somehow was much less publicly visible
    Yeah... somehow. Like not working in the slightest.

Dorten's NMV, on the other hand, I've never had a problem with.
    #
    SmokNiszczyciel 13 years ago
    I need to know:

- If I want to make animation then do i need to use only .png or will it read also clips?

-How to TELEPORT player from one to second map&position after time

-How to make TELEPORTERS - you enter it [as step in it, i guess "player near distance 5pixel then script]

-How to make player PLAY AS OTHER CREATURE [example: first you play as human and if conditions met then you play as something else]

-How to make explosions

-Someone to mod with me, I've already project which we can change

-
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    - If I want to make animation then do i need to use only .png or will it read also clips?
    Clips? As in video files? No. You're not making an animation per se; you're making a sprite. You need to lay out the frames as they appear in the images you already see, but other than that, you should be able to save it in any ole' image format. Not even Ville really knows what other formats the engine supports. I've seen mods with MIDI files for music!
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    -How to TELEPORT player from one to second map&position after time
    There is a teleporter in the default mod. See if you can find its code and modify it for your own purposes.
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    -How to make explosions
    This is explained as "How to make a grenade launcher weapon" earlier in this thread if you want to know more, but basically, you need to drop an invisible creature that fires off an explosion weapon and then kills itself.
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    -Someone to mod with me, I've already project which we can change
    Many of us can mod Notrium, or are decent with some kind of image editor. If you do a good job starting the mod off, then sure, we might be inclined to chip in.
    #
    Well at this moment im stuck with name[yes, changing it] for like 3h...
    Any ideas? I would love you
    @edit
    Now 4 lol

@edit2
    how do i make a weapon have in-built ammo that cannot be recharged [laser]

@edit3

how do i lower enemy shooting skills so they will miss sometimes...
    also how do i add granades that can fly over some objects[breaking collision code]
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    -How to make player PLAY AS OTHER CREATURE [example: first you play as human and if conditions met then you play as something else]
    The creature change was involved in that Earth Defender mod. Ask INFERNUS, perhaps?
    #
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    how do i make a weapon have in-built ammo that cannot be recharged [laser]
    All weapons expend part of your energy bar or some of the items in your inventory to function. All you have to do is make it spend one of itself every time you fire it, and give the player a few dozen of it to start, kinda like the fire extinguisher.
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    how do i lower enemy shooting skills so they will miss sometimes...
    In most mods where something like this was worked on (Werivar and one or two more, I THINK), what the author ended up doing was giving the player a random chance of blocking shots, rather than give the AI a random chance of missing outright. If you want the AI to miss, the weapons the AI carry would have to be specially handicapped to be less accurate. I don't remember what this would involve, so I can't tell you what to do next.
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    also how do i add grenades that can fly over some objects[breaking collision code]
    IIRC you can make a weapon fire a bullet that does not collide with anything. From there, just duplicate the grenade launcher that has already been discussed earlier in the thread.
    #
    About weapons:
    No, i dont want weapon use player's energy bar but use its own bar, so its like each weapon has its own ID and bar ID and eats this ID, even if player drops weapon then its bar should be like it was before dropping so player cant glitch this

And yes i know its not possible for notrium so i will have to make a bit fucked up weapons
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Jeszcze raz tak, żebyś zrozumiał.
    On napisał, żebyś zamiast jednego lasera dał graczowi powiedzmy dwieście, i żeby laser zużywał sam siebie jako amunicje, czyli tak samo jak gaśnica w podstawowym Notrium.
    W ten sposób nie będzie miał możliwości doładowania w żaden sposób (chyba, że dasz mu więcej). Jedyny minus jest taki, że gracz będzie mógł sobie zrobić wykładzinę z dwustu laserów,
    gdyby chciał. Ale o to już nie trzeba się martwić.
    #
    Lol ok thanks, did u use translator or w/e?

I also need to know how to make AI follow waypoints but if enemy seen then attack

And i know it's possible because i saw it in some mod

I know almost all i need to start making my mod
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    If you can find a translator that translates this perfectly, then you're great.
    No, I actually do speak polish.

I'm pretty sure this waypoint thing was made by making lines of food the AI follows.
    But I never really got into Notrium modding so I'll probably just shut up from now on.
    #
    Then you speak polish nice Gratz

By the way, these weapons wont work because if player picks up another plasma rifle then it will add him ammo what i dont want, i want each plasma rifle have its own clip

@edit
    Fucking grenades, hard to make them, I've tried copy'ing+editing grenades from DOOM MOD but something went wrong,

By looking how these grenades work I've got great idea how to use this for other things, so is there any tutorial about making grenades?

"Jedyny minus jest taki, że gracz będzie mógł sobie zrobić wykładzinę z dwustu laserów,"
    Hahaha i keep laughing
    #
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    I also need to know how to make AI follow waypoints but if enemy seen then attack

And i know it's possible because i saw it in some mod
    If you've seen it in another mod, then try to figure out which mod that was, and learn how the pathfinding was done from its code.
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    By the way, these weapons wont work because if player picks up another plasma rifle then it will add him ammo what i dont want, i want each plasma rifle have its own clip
    Then you're going to need to create an ammo bar for every weapon that's gonna have this feature, and every time it hits zero, use up the weapon. IIRC (I wonder if I recall correctly a lot. ) the Opposing Force mod has an ammo clip system and twenty different weapons, but the way it did it was to spend separate ammo objects, which isn't what you wanted to do.

... Oh, I JUST got the BEST idea EVER. IIRC (Again), there's support for having multiple inventories in the game. Just create an ammunition inventory, fill it with whatever ammo you want the player to have, and create a bar shown to the player called Ammunition. As the ammo in the inventory is spent to fire the weapon, it changes the reading on the bar (Logically), and when it's out, the gun simply doesn't work. This'll give the illusion that the gun was entirely self-contained, and the end user never has to manage ammo.

Good luck!
    #
    @up
    If player picks up weapon then it adds new invetory and it's ammo to this invetory and if player drops it then the invetory is gone? Thats what you mean?

WHAT ABOUT GRENADES;O
    #
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    @up
    If player picks up weapon then it adds new invetory and it's ammo to this invetory and if player drops it then the invetory is gone? Thats what you mean?

WHAT ABOUT GRENADES;O
    No, the inventory exists the entire time. You store all of your ammo for all ammo-based weapons in that inventory, and the weapons in the primary inventory use that ammo. If it's empty, well, you're out of ammo, but the inventory is there to collect more ammo the entire time.

Grenades are already kinda self-contained one-time-use weapons, y'know? So pile them up just like the Battery weapon, in the main inventory. Or you could treat it like the other ammo-based weapons.
    #
    No, I did mean how to make grenades[weapon]
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "Previously, Redemption" said:
    You need to have the weapon effect drop a creature that is of a neutral side (or the player side if you don't want to damage yourself) which fires the shrapnel [GRENADE]. Else, the explosion attack will belong to the target, which won't be able to hurt creatures of its same side as friendly fire is disabled.
    That creature, as far as I understand, should have limited lifespan. That's also set somewhere (IIRC, in creatures.dat). The explosion may be get from the Battery discharge attack of original N. IIRC, that was proposed by Anon. Change animation, damage to your liking and you're all set.

P.S. Ville, something is really wrong with forum search. For example, if I search word "grenade" in this topic, it found 4 matches but only on the latest page. And it's obviously wrong, because JakeWedding's question about that didn't vanish. It's still there, on page 60 of this thread, humbly waiting for match. That's why no one can find anything and writing "IIRC"
    I know you've got other matters to work on, but please look at it.
    #
    Ok I understand now all i need, time to make mod

By the way - i thought that there's no topic about grenade making [i used serach]
    #
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    Ok I understand now all i need, time to make mod
    Hooray! Now, get to it.
    "SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    By the way - i thought that there's no topic about grenade making [i used serach]
    It's a set of posts earlier in this topic, with the solution being on page 60 after a bunch of discussion into the matter. I do find it strange that it didn't come up in the search function for you guys. I'll go check it myself.
    #
    Lmao you want me read 60 pages of pointless for me [except nades] text?

Actually I've problem:
    1. I want my granade[after explosion] drop plot object - "fire" that exists 15 seconds and damages nearby creatures but it doesn't

2. My grenade falls just at front of your face and explodes after 3 seconds and damaging your face permamently

3. Jump off cliff

4. It's explosion sound is weak, any way to make it harder?

5. I died

I've tried script for speeding up my grenade but it doesn't speed it up
    I've also added to grenade creature in death block "drop plot_object - fire" but it doesn't

My thrown grenades are also FUCKY small

@edit
    I really need to know how does grenade work+how to make it so i can use these effects for many other ways and it's last thing i need to know before i start making mod

@edit2
    Wow i don't belive it, this forum has just 3-4 active users and they help me more than forum with few millions users![powerbot.org]

Thank you a lot for helping me

Cookies for all of you!

Ima add ya to credits of my mod lol [first there's gonna be a demo lol]
    #
    Meh, the search function failed for me too. The closest I got was another post on the next page that says that we'd just discussed it on the last page. Strange. Well, the whole thing is on page 60, if you want to read it.

"SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    2. My grenade falls just at front of your face and explodes after 3 seconds and damaging your face permamently
    It sounds like you're making the gun drop the creature. This is wrong. When a bullet fired from the mortar hits its target, the target drops the exploding creature. The only way to make it work if the weapon is dropping the creature would be to have it face the right way and walk forward until it explodes, and I don't know if that's possible. (What I DO know is that it'll leave footprints behind whether you like it or not, should it actually work. So unless you can have it make a whoosh sound instead of footsteps, it'll be a bit silly. )

"SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    4. It's explosion sound is weak, any way to make it harder?
    You could give it a new explosion sound with more oomph, like the one from those old TV shows where things blow up often. I've tried this sound search engine before, and despite mixed results, it turns up some nice stuff every now and then.

"SmokNiszczyciel" said:
    I really need to know how does grenade work+how to make it so i can use these effects for many other ways and it's last thing i need to know before i start making mod
    Unless you're making a mod with a storyline or a linear exploration path (Or both), you could easily skip the grenades for now until you're really sure of how you want to implement them. As for reusability, the exploding creature could be reused for those random explosions I seem to recall you asking for earlier, and you could theoretically make another creature-dropping weapon that drops some kind of parasite that attacks enemies for you, kinda like a Snark.

Wow, you're editing your last post faster than I can post this one!
    #
    Lol,

About your weapon idea - yep I've many ideas and many secrets for my mod, just play halo and you'll know a bit of them [the flood FTW LOL starts by 5 flood infection and ends at all the world in floods -- eww nvm o_o]

I will try more with these grenades

@edit
    I just burnt in fire made from grenade, it almost worked - it sometimes HAVE SPEED and after explosion it drops fire ALMOST SAME I WANT adn the fire makes light and then vanishes

@edit2

Actually I've made sound, it's just great volume but there's new problem: it plays only once at like 3-5sec so:
    if one grenade explodes then sounds play, but it doesnt play again if another grenade explodes in 3-5seconds

@edit3
    Still have problem with speeding-up grenade, but LMAO ive fired grenade at fire and it exploded and killed me I didnt want to make that but ill let it stay in game

@edit4
    YAY grenade works perfectly, but it only lags a bit so im gonna fix it now

I will make a tutorial after im done with mod

@edit5
    Hm, something wrong happens when i choose one of my 2 new weapons-assault rifle and magnum - game crashes

@edit6
    Actually it crashes IF I CHOOSE WEAPON, but doesn't crash with grenades... any ideas?

Lol everything is right but it crashes... wtf?

@edit7
    I really don't know why it crashes, I've used new weapon class...

@edit OVER 9000[8]
    Actually I do lol - I can't use new weapon class I've added and I don't know why, when I changed weapon class of my new weapons then they've started working... WHY?
    #
    I still didn't get help, looks like it's not worth making big mod for a few peoples lol

I'm leaving modding and I'm back to programming
    #
    INFERNUS 13 years ago
    can you upload your mod so i can see what is wrong?
    #
    I don't remember lol

Yes I've it somewhere, and it's not mod yet, I still have plans somewhere on my desktop.

This mod was for making grenades for real mod, so if you want have these grenades

[this mean that my mod is just for testing before I make real mod]
    #
    INFERNUS 13 years ago
    ok
    #
    This forum is dead?
    #
    Anarion 13 years ago
    No, what makes you think that?
    #
    This is so quiet!

Notrium doesn't have enough player so thats why I've stopped working on mod, I have better things to do
    #
    messina176 13 years ago
    sorry if i put this in the wrong place but how do i Unrar to the main Notrium directory?
    #
    Endymion 13 years ago
    You need Winrar or some other program that can unpack .rar files
    #
    INFERNUS 13 years ago
    There's an additional problem with making an RTS. Not all of the action that is possible is calculated when you're not looking. In essense if you moved your screen away from your troops fighting opponents, they might remain still while you're away. It depends largely on how many creatures there are at the same time.

Is it posible to change it?
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "INFERNUS" said:
    There's an additional problem with making an RTS. Not all of the action that is possible is calculated when you're not looking. In essense if you moved your screen away from your troops fighting opponents, they might remain still while you're away. It depends largely on how many creatures there are at the same time.

Is it posible to change it?
    Yes. You can force a creature to compute offscreen; I have no idea if this happens regardless of the number of creatures concurrently running.
    #
    Just edit the game engine lol
    #
    INFERNUS 13 years ago
    I dont know how
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    I think it was a joke. However, Ville lately gave a hint about publishing Notrium code...
    #
    Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: