Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Surviving Forever?
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Surviving Forever?

strogian 19 years ago
    Is it possible to survive forever in Notrium, for all of the races?

For instance, I know that I'd have no trouble surviving as an Alien, since all I need is food and health, which I can get from devouring small blue aliens. (simple!)

But my first game was as a Human, and I don't think I ever got to that point with him. I was always in a hurry, because I feel like I'm dependent on strictly-limited resources. (i.e. battery power -- specifically to see at night in the Hive)

And I have a hard time dealing with that situation I think -- when I got the Eden ending, I was sort of disappointed, but just figured, "eh sucks to be him," deleted my savegames, and made an alien.

Alien is so much better I think, because I feel like I can waste all the time I want. In fact, now I'm *trying* to waste time to get rid of all my roasted brown meat, since blue corpses are so much better

So how 'bout it?

(as a little side-note, is there a way to attach your light to a weapon? I never went to the hive because I didn't have any good-enough one-handed guns, and I can't see in the dark. That's probably why I was satisfied with the Eden ending. )
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    You could probably survive forever seeing as there is unlimited food (brown aliens) but eventually (after a very very long time) you would run out of fuel cells and electric plants and therefore electricity. But energy is not essential to surviving. So in short, yes you can survive forever on human. Android however depends soley on battery power, so it could eventually die. Psoinic uses that little food that you could pratically last forever.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    One of the best things about Notrium is THAT you really can drag things out just about forever depending on how creative you are. I do agree however that Android would probably be the hardest to keep going. I'm going to try and work on the time waste factor in the expansion so you can really just waste your life away in Notrium and it'll never end if you don't want it to. Indeed the best thing with Notrium is going back and trying something you hadn't thought of before, and there usually is a trick or two people just don't know of yet
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    Why not just add scripts like the one in Wazzal II that adds energy to the map?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Why not just add scripts like the one in Wazzal II that adds energy to the map?

That would be the most minor thing I'd do
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    As others have said you could probably survive forever as human, it's possible to survive forever as Android(although anyone who has played Android will know how incredibly hard it would be), definately possible with Psionic(because not only do they have really low food consumption rate, but they eventually get a couple of psionics tokens that will let them essentially create both energy and health) and relatively dead easy as the Alien(full evolution with the Alien was the only time ever while playing Notrium where i thought that i owned the whole planet, the Psionic fully tokened up came close but not quite enough to make me feel invincible).
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    How could you possibly survive as an android? Your battery will become empty, and repair kits are not at all infinite...
    Of course, you could stay in the stasis field, but that's a bit stupid . Indeed, thinking about it, with a couple of well-placed stasis fields (and battery extensions) and a lot of patience, it could be possible...

-Amarth
    #
    ForceUser 19 years ago
    The problem with the Android (Atleast, how I see it) is that there is no energy being CREATED in the game, hence, you will die at the hands of entropy. Something like a solar power plant *could* help

but yea, if you are human, you can subsist on brown or blue aliens in the hive esp since his food consumtion aint that high (Compared to the alien) But only because food is continually being created in the game.

Anyways, I would really like to be able to survive forever with little continual effort. Perhaps alot of effort one time to get, say an Ether well, kinda like an oil well or a solar power plant for the android.

ForceUser
    #
    Murska 19 years ago
    You would need to use turrets and fists with human, but yes, it is possible.
    #
    strogian 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    One of the best things about Notrium is THAT you really can drag things out just about forever depending on how creative you are. I do agree however that Android would probably be the hardest to keep going. I'm going to try and work on the time waste factor in the expansion so you can really just waste your life away in Notrium and it'll never end if you don't want it to. Indeed the best thing with Notrium is going back and trying something you hadn't thought of before, and there usually is a trick or two people just don't know of yet

Really though, it's not necessarily bad to have some races like that. Sort of gives it that "behind enemy lines" feeling to it. You just want to get OUT, not settle down and build a home.
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    "ForceUser" said:
    The problem with the Android (Atleast, how I see it) is that there is no energy being CREATED in the game, hence, you will die at the hands of entropy.
    Actually between the battery generator, and those spawning robots in the desert that drop batteries, it'd be tight but you could do it.
    #
    Murska 19 years ago
    Do the robots spawn?
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    Do the robots spawn?
    Check it yourself. You have Notrium.
    #
    ForceUser 19 years ago
    hmmm... I cleaned out the dessert with my alien (Full evo, could see every robot) and it din't *look* like they were respawning? perhaps I was in there for to short a time?

ForceUser
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    I stand corrected, after further inspection it appears that the robots don't respawn, so from a theoretical stand-point the Android is the only class that could not survive indefinately. Thus further emphasizing the point that the Android needs an upgrade, in theory not needing food is a huge advantage, however in practise food is plentifull(and limitless thanks to spawning aliens) and energy less so(and limited), in short upgrade the Android.
    #
    UberWaffe 19 years ago
    I agree on giving the Android some sort of upgrade or means of recharging. But perhaps instead of making it a thing independant from fuel it should need fuel. But hang on just a second...

Instead of using ether, fuel cells, etc. Why not make it a bio-mass reactor? Something that uses biomass to fuel itself? That way the Android must also hunt for 'food', be it indirectly.

1 ->Android kills alien
    2 -> Takes alien to the bio-reactor Android had suffered so hard and scavanged so long to construct
    3 -> Android dumps dead alien in reactor so the machine can begin its ugly process
    4 -> Android enjoys a nice refreshing jolt of energy.

I would like that. If the idea strikes your fancy I could mod it. (Don't expect great graphics.)
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    "UberWaffe" said:
    I agree on giving the Android some sort of upgrade or means of recharging. But perhaps instead of making it a thing independant from fuel it should need fuel. But hang on just a second...

Instead of using ether, fuel cells, etc. Why not make it a bio-mass reactor? Something that uses biomass to fuel itself? That way the Android must also hunt for 'food', be it indirectly.

1 ->Android kills alien
    2 -> Takes alien to the bio-reactor Android had suffered so hard and scavanged so long to construct
    3 -> Android dumps dead alien in reactor so the machine can begin its ugly process
    4 -> Android enjoys a nice refreshing jolt of energy.

I would like that. If the idea strikes your fancy I could mod it. (Don't expect great graphics.)

But then we would be just voiding the whole point of the Android, and it would just become nearly indistinguishable from the human.
    Right through-out the Android game he talks of giving himself upgrades(secretely) maybe we could construct these upgrades or something.
    Either way though i believe this is off-topic, so if you want to discuss it more create a topic .
    #
    Anonymous1157 19 years ago
    Continuing on with the Android Upgrade Mini-topic, yes he should be able to upgrade himself. Once he is completely upgraded, he should be able to power himself with a self-powered powerplant. You'd need a jolt of energy defined by a script to get it going, and then you could essentially wipe out everything without thinking about your power again... Essentially a super-huge never-run-out battery that recharges itself since you're self-powered. Maybe 2000% and a 1%-p/second increase? And a powerplant that needs 10 computer units, 6 glass tubes, Ether for half of the jumpstart, 2 battery extensions, and a new object: Wiring! 14 of those.

If you want more data on that, see the corresponding general topic.

I'm aware that I created a new topic, i'll go copy it onto the ideas thread.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "eug1404" said:
    Right through-out the Android game he talks of giving himself upgrades(secretely) maybe we could construct these upgrades or something.

I think this is one of the many misconceptions. Those were not taking place during the time on Notrium. The upgrades were made prior to coming to Notrium and if you re-read the journal entries you'll find out that they were past rememberances/flash backs. All that was done to justify the strength and health of the Android compared to the other races. So in other words before coming to Notrium he was as strong or even weaker than the Captain.
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    "eug1404" said:

I think this is one of the many misconceptions. Those were not taking place during the time on Notrium. The upgrades were made prior to coming to Notrium and if you re-read the journal entries you'll find out that they were past rememberances/flash backs. All that was done to justify the strength and health of the Android compared to the other races. So in other words before coming to Notrium he was as strong or even weaker than the Captain.

I know that, but i was saying maybe while on Notrium the player could construct upgrades to himself, as on the ship he had to do it secretely, and i do believe that he didn't get to upgrade as much as he would of liked IIRC due in part to the Psionic catching on.
    #
    Toko 19 years ago
    i liked that the alien evolved so it was easy to play.
    and the human can do almost anything.
    the pisonci have tokens.
    so it would be fair for the android to be abel to upgarded him self.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    They shouldn't be compared that way. This game is already way too easy. Every character has it's strengths and weaknesses and it should be kept that way.
    I'd even like to propose a way of DEGRADING a character, so that it gets harder with time... Gives you a bit of pressure . Right now, I got the feeling it's just the start that's hard, and some avoidable area's.

-Amarth
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    They shouldn't be compared that way. This game is already way too easy. Every character has it's strengths and weaknesses and it should be kept that way.
    I'd even like to propose a way of DEGRADING a character, so that it gets harder with time... Gives you a bit of pressure . Right now, I got the feeling it's just the start that's hard, and some avoidable area's.

-Amarth
    But the whole point of this topic is surviving forever. Wasn't someone going to make an Ultimate Survival mod, where the whole point was to survive indefinately on Notrium?
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Zombie had some pretty extensive plans going for that, but he hasn't done anything with them yet.

Perhaps there could be a mod designed to make surviving much more difficult and then set certain required lengths of survival to pass that level, with each difficulty level changing how hard each level would be.
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    "Marevix" said:

Perhaps there could be a mod designed to make surviving much more difficult and then set certain required lengths of survival to pass that level, with each difficulty level changing how hard each level would be.
    Sounds good to me, Notrium does get too easy after a while, and as the Alien after a 5 minute acquantance with the Alien gameplay the game becomes really easy(for anyone with _ANY_ hand-eye co-ordination whatsoever).
    #
    burgerking 19 years ago
    Maybe someone could make a mod dedicated to the alien in which you have to survive + evolve in serveral different scenarios? once u reach fulll evo u can move on or stay in an area till u want to leave it? i dunno if this idea needs a new thread.
    #
    AsdMaster 19 years ago
    Where on the map is the reaper spawner.

for the alien
    #
    Flikerator 19 years ago
    "AsdMaster" said:
    Where on the map is the reaper spawner.

for the alien

I think the reaper spawner is in that Spider nest place (Cant remember name), unless it was taken out.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Ever since 1.32 (perhaps longer) the reaper spawn in the Gorge has been removed. There's a couple spawns in the hive, particulary on the northern side.
    #
    Flikerator 19 years ago
    "Marevix" said:
    Ever since 1.32 (perhaps longer) the reaper spawn in the Gorge has been removed. There's a couple spawns in the hive, particulary on the northern side.

Yah I was remembering from awhile ago. I was trying to think of now but I couldnt rememer seeing any in the 'nest'...Except when I leed them into the nest...

I always wondered, how come you get no evo points for killing "large blue aliens" when you are supposed to kill smaller ones? It doesn't make any sense >.<
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Flikerator" said:
    I always wondered, how come you get no evo points for killing "large blue aliens" when you are supposed to kill smaller ones? It doesn't make any sense >.<
    The answer: They were lazy.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    I think Quanrian just didn't think of that when he was working on it. He wanted the player to work up in the ranks to a higher level from the smallest to biggest.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Marevix" said:
    I think Quanrian just didn't think of that when he was working on it. He wanted the player to work up in the ranks to a higher level from the smallest to biggest.
    He probably thought about it and dismissed it, preferring the current system for various reasons.

Right, Quan?
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    Don't question the omnipotent one.
    #
    Flikerator 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Flikerator" said:
    The answer: They were lazy.

Well I think it would be easier to code in "Small blue alien worth 1 evo" "Large worth 3"...Ext then have it different from each rank. I could be wrong, but it just seems a lto simpler.

I would go take out the Alien Quees first for lots of evo

Don't question the omnipotent one.

I guess he just wanted to do more work...Lolz
    #
    Forum » Surviving Forever?
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: