Register
Email: Password:
Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • AETAS Discussion Thread

Thaif 17 years ago
    I think it would be the best if you made a v.2 map as it is quite clear that it will be used.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Ok, I'm on it... Tomorrow.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Ok, I finally managed to upload the map.

As you might see, I've added two new regions, Hryfon and Northern Wastelands. Also added some population in the arctic regions.
    The light green/yellow colour is for savanna/steppes/dry land.

I know the rainforrest might have a strange position with desert in the east and south, and Bear Island having other forrests even though it's located on the same meridian(or something). However, this is another world than our own, so the climate system would be entirely different, creating warm, moistured weather where the Ares Rainforrest is located.

Also, I thought that it would be fun if we could allow players or NPCs to explore outside the known world, and add their findings to the map. I think it would be a great augmentation to the RP experience.

The Known World:

http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcopyiu7.jpg
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    I'd seriously prefer to have the complete map before starting the RP thing.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Soo... Anyone else got something to complain about, or shall we just take Gemini's newest map and go with that?
    #
    Thaif 17 years ago
    Go with this. As competition in map making industry is nil.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Alrite. Now then, LET'S GET THE GEARZ ROLLIN'!

...and by that I mean "let's get the game going".

...which you already knew.

...so I dunno why I'm still writing these whachamacallits.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Yes. Release the character descriptions!
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    Yes. Release the character descriptions!
    ...we're in THAT stage ALREADY?

I thought we had agreements to do on general settings or something...
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Oh, yea thats right.

So, what about the level of advanced tech?

I would personally have some degree of computer technology avalible, along with limited space travel. I do however only intend to use space travel for the background of my character.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    Oh, yea thats right.

So, what about the level of advanced tech?

I would personally have some degree of computer technology avalible, along with limited space travel. I do however only intend to use space travel for the background of my character.
    For the advanced tech, I'm thinking that stirling engines (generating power from heat differences alone) and steam cells (steam power without pollutants). Note that these are both existing technologies.

And as for the computer technology, I think babbage engines and such would suffice, no?

And space travel would be somewhat easy (at least the propulsion required for movement in space... Just vent steam in the opposite direction of where you want to go. And the asteroids that fly by can be captured and mined for their ice, so running out of water shouldn't be a problem that soon. ), methinks.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Babbage? I've never heard of the word.

Oh, what about the psionic abilities. Should we keep the rules and background for psionics or not?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    Babbage? I've never heard of the word.
    It's a name. Just search for the man on Wikipedia.

"The Gemini" said:
    Oh, what about the psionic abilities. Should we keep the rules and background for psionics or not?
    I think we oughta keep things like that out... Too much similarities with magic.

Something I forgot to suggest in my earlier post: Prosthetic limbs that work kinda like the real ones, although not as smoothly (unless they're a very, VERY special design and thus out of reach for the more common people ).
    #
    Thaif 17 years ago
    I'll agree with Grim on these "tech" issues. Oh and by the way the Stirling engine was first made in 1816, way before any ICE motors, interesting aint' it...

Babbage was the man who tried to make the difference engine(These things are cabable of nearly the same, if not same, calculations as modern comps)Babbage sadly never finished his work as he continously changed the desing, but his son did...There is a book on the subject called Difference Engine, where Babbage actually finishes his work.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Sooo... How 'bout them cities and such? Will we make up the communities as we go, or...?
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    I think it would be best if we made that up during rp. Thus we get much more time on our hands to come up with a good idea.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    In that case, does anyone feel there's something we oughta talk through before starting the RP?

And who will be joining the thing from the start?
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    I'll probably be joining at some point.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    I'm in. (duh)
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    I smell RP. Human only? Savvy. As long as I get my steam tech, I'm shiny. I've already got my char in mind.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    Oh, character... hum. All my character development is being saved for my novel, right now. Maybe I'll join later. Maybe.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Perhaps I'll join in later.
    #
    Murska 17 years ago
    I might join if I get an idea for a char.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Aye, I might even join in if I have the time
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    I'll join (eventually), and I promise not to defeat the purpose of copyrighting a character like I did the last time I tried.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    So... The time has come to post the character sheets or whatever you call them. If somebody postes one, that may draw others into this. I'm currently developing my char, so I can't post it.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Yeah, sure. Here's my character.

Torrance Fennerth
    Male
    14 Years Old
    Unskilled and Untalented
    Recent History: Today is Torrance's 14th birthday. In his isolated mountain village, he's become a man. It was the first day he went with the rest of the men out hunting. A pack of wolves, or something similar, was driven from the upper mountain by a harsh winter. The wolves attacked the hunters, killing many. Torrance is running through the woods, desparate to escape almost certain death.
    Equipment: Clothes on his back.
    Plain but functional hunting spear.
    A meal of salted meat, cheese, and a flask of weak beer.

I'll place him close to some other people's starting locations.
    And, he's never seen any steam technology. So I'm leaving that up to other people until I get a better feel for what you all want.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Cejer" said:
    a flask of weak beer.
    Get ye flask.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    Name: Rhenna Alt Alayah

Sex: Female

Talents:
    [list]-Engineering
    -Mechanics
    -Alt Umai and Blade Combat
    -Highly Empathic
    -Animal Skills
    -Outdoors
    -Survival[/list:u]

History: Rhenna hails from a grassland island in the northeast of the crater gulf. Her home is thought to be unpopulated, but is merely just not populated enough to gain notice. Her people live in tune with both nature and machines, often integrating steam technology with water purification and irrigation technologies. Rhenna herself was not born of any particular tribe. Instead, she was the sole survivor of a steamship crash. When the tribes found her, she was being protected by free-roaming wolves that had made the steamship's smoking hulk their den. They named her Rhenna Alt Alayah, her middle name being her family's tribal rank and her last name being her tribe's name. A tribal Alt is equivalent to the alpha female of a wolf pack and, as such, denotes leadership over all of the pack, both male and female. Rhenna's Alayah tribe is her own and only her own. She was raised by an amalgamation of several different tribes that agreed to travel together to care for this child and, perhaps, raise her to be able to teach the other peoples of the world about the power of nature and machine together. As a child she was taught about machines and nature as if they were both creatures that had much to gain from each other. She showed a natural affinity to pick up on others' thoughts and feelings after a while in addition to her amazing skill (for her age) with machines, animals, and nature in general. Her abilities lead to her becoming rather popular for solving problems with interweavings of nature and machine influence.

Recently: Children of Rhenna's people usually stay with their tribes and, eventually, raise a family of their own and possibly even start their own small tribe. However, Rhenna is a tribe unto herself and has been told that she has now come of age. Upon learning this, Rhenna immediately started assembling the things she needed in order to survive comfortably while travelling. Setting her sights on the still-steaming hulk-den of the crashed steamship, she intends to retrieve any salvage and, quite possibly, a prized Steam Core.

Equipment:
    [list]-Alt Umai*
    -Handmade Clothing
    [list](Longsleeve Sance** Shirt)
    (Sance** Pants)
    (Knee-High Mali Ene***)
    (Mali Enna Rei****)[/list:u]
    -Handmade Oiled Document Satchel
    [list](Sewing Patterns)
    (Self-Designed Blueprints)[/list:u]
    -Large Handmade Rucksack
    [list](Two Changes of Clothing)
    (Sewing Kit with Extra Thread)
    (Basic Toolset)
    (Rope)
    (Some Replacement Parts)
    (Some Commonly Useful Parts)[/list:u]
    -Two Large Oiled Flasks
    [list](Water)
    (Burning Oil)[/list:u]
    -One Small Oiled Flask
    [list](Lubricating Oil)[/list:u]
    -Small Oiled Food Bag
    [list](Prepared Meals for Three Days)[/list:u][/list:u]

* - The Alt Umai is Rhenna's handmade and self-engineered weapon, carefully designed and constructed out of various salvage she could obtain from her people. It is essentially a sectioned longblade with a chain connecting every section to the one before it. A trigger on the handle can activate the steam-powered miniature winch that retracts or extends the chain, turning the weapon into either a longsword or a whiplike blade. She has plans to upgrade this weapon, but lacks the parts and funds to do so.

** - Sance clothing is quite common among Rhenna's people. Sance clothing basically consist of multiple (usually two or three) layers of fabric and hide. The inner layer always is wool, to provide comfort, and the outer layer is always oiled cloth to protect from water and dirt. Sance shirts usually have oiled hide reinforcement at the elbows (if longsleeve) and shoulders. Sance pants usually have oiled hide reinforcement at the knees. Sance clothing is common as it provides warmth for the cooler climate in Rhenna's people's region while protecting quite well against the frequent rains.

*** - Ene are the oiled hide boots lined with wool that are commonly worn by Rhenna's people. They come in several different lengths. Rhenna's boots are knee-high and were called Mali Ene as she integrated metal plates into their design. Mali, in Rhenna's language, means "metal." The metal in Rhenna's boots encase her feet from toe to heel (underneath and sides, not over) and also provide ankle and shin protection with curved plates. As the metal used was made for use in steam machines, it is rather impervious to rust and resists heat quite well.

**** - En Rei are the work gloves of Rhenna's people. As she worked with machines almost constantly, she decided to specially design her pair. Standard En Rei are made of oiled hide, are wool-lined, and have full fingers. Rhenna's are called Enna Rei as she has removed the fingers in order to provide more dexterity and feeling when working on a machine. They are also prefixed with Mali, meaning "metal", as she has integrated metal plates into their design. The backs of her hands are protected by segmented plates, as are her wrists. Her knuckles are reinforced with metal as well, to provide that extra kick to a punch. The palms of her Mali Enna Rei have been treated to resist heat and the metal used in them was intended for steam machines, so it is rather impervious to rust and resists heat quite well.

Any questions, young-uns? ;D
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Not at all.... >.>
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    What about the spoken languages? Surely the known world has at least a few different types.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    What about the spoken languages? Surely the known world has at least a few different types.

We can have many languages that the players may come up on the way (for example when somebody visits a native tribe on the Hryfon savanna), and a few large languages that is predefined before we start. These languages can cover entire regions or continents. This way we creates the base of any RP development of the different cultures and nations of [InsertRPworldnamehere]*. This is good, since the current map is politically and culturally neutral, unless you view the different regions as separate with their own culture.

*We really need a name for the RP world.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    Algioth... The map looks like an Algioth. Of course, different cultures with different languages might refer to the planet or world in different ways... Rhenna's people call life on the planet Rhen (Can you see where Rhenna's name came from?) and call the planet itself Syo. Don't try to screw with me either. Rhenna's people have their own mythology.

It starts with three siblings: Rhen, Syo, and Meka. Rhen is everything with biological life, Meka is all things with mechanical life, and Syo is everything without biological or mechanical life.

Yeah. Each of them is governess (Rhenna's people believe in goddesses, not gods. They find female dieties more soothing and caring.) of their own realm. Where the three realms intersected, the three goddesses created a world for all of their talents to intermingle and bring glory to their ability as goddesses. Other such worlds were created in the intersections between two realms, but not three. Of course, each realm has worlds of its own dedicated completely to their governess.

Rhenna's people believe they were brought to the planet by the three goddesses in order to teach people to live in harmony with the three goddess elements. The circle made by the central-most Crater Gulf islands is thought to be the sacred landing point of a device made by Meka and Syo and then powered by Rhen. The device was then thought to be cast through the heavens with Rhenna's people inside. The wreckage of the device is still thought to exist in the center of the Crater Gulf.

Of course, Rhenna's people's mythology does not really fall under the umbrella of "religion" as Meka is seen to be everything mechanical, Rhen is seen to be everything biological, and Syo is seen to be everything nonmechanical and nonbiological. The goddesses exist through their creations, not in spite of them. As such, Rhenna's people strive to live in harmony with their goddesses instead of in subservience to their goddesses. In their eyes, all Rhen, Syo, and Meka want is to create a happy, harmonious world.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Name: Unknown

Background: Unknown

Recently:
    He just woke up on a bed in a small room, with no memories before that. Amnesia you might say. He has no memories of where he is, who he is and how he got there.

Talents:

-Resource-full
    -Skilled combatant both ranged and melee
    -Intelligent
    -Ability to operate most vehicles
    -Extremely high pain threshold

Handicap:

-Impulsive
    -Reckless and self-destructive

Equipment:

-Spectre M. class 30cal. machinegun
    (Spectre ammunition)
    -Aeron Sword*
    -Armour Suit**
    -Rusty red Space Pilot vest
    -Standard clothing
    -10 000 gold pieces (currency)

* An Aeron sword is one of the finest swords available on the market. With features similar to the Katana of our world, this rather large sword is wielded only by the experts on sword combat.

**An armour suit is a full body covering armour, fused with a hydraulic exoskeleton making the wearer stronger.

This seems ok right?

I would like to see elecrical thingies in the RP, such as elecrical light and radios. Remember that nearly every form of power generators are infact steam engines, except the ones utilizing the sun, wind and waves. Also, the battery was invented during the industrial revolution. Electricity can thus be utilized in a steam punk world, but not to the same extent as here on Earth, as it would be regarded as high-tech.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Name: Ipsen Oggletop

Appearance: Long, black hair, pale (or more like light grey) complexion, green eyes, average height, slim, smiles unnervingly most of the time

Languages: Überwelsch (sounds a bit like Swiss and/or German)

Personality: Eccentric, if not a bit insane. Prefers to work alone, but can work efficiently in a group if needed.

History: Born in Ürbenschtok, the largest city in the Überwaldian Empire, Ipsen got interested in steam technology at an early age. Supporting Ipsen's choice of career, Ipsen's father bought him a whole bookshelf filled with books on various aspects of steam technology. Once he got out of the basic schooling, Ipsen was found to have what it takes to be a scientist. And that's what he did.

After publishing a few articles on various things on steam technology and how it could be improved upon, he became rather well-known in the scientist circles. His latest endeavor is with the University of Ürbenschtok's observatory, located in the western parts of the arctic. When the University announced that they needed someone to operate the monstrosity, Ipsen was the first to sign up. After spending well over 5 years, with checkups from the University every 3 months, he has been called from his post to help the University with a complex mathematical problem they're having. For the last 6 months, Ipsen has been training an apprentice of sorts to continue the work he begun, and is now confident that his "apprentice" knows what he's doing.

Possessions:[list] Scientist's coat *
    Casual attire **
    Steam Spider ***
    Steamwork attire ****
    Various steamworking tools
    Warm, black coat (to protect Ipsen from the arctic environment)
    Various personal knick knacks of no importance[/list:u]

* Similar to the one Prof. Membrane from Invader Zim uses (picture), although the coat has lower collar, it's blue with golden buttons, the buttons go from the left shoulder down to the waist, and the button near the left shoulder is engraved with the scientist's rank insignia.

** Dark brown leather jacket, white shirt, brown pants, black leather belt, dark brown leather boots, brown large brim leather hat.

*** After Ipsen turned 20, Ipsen's father told him to pick a vehicle of his choice as a birthday present from him, so Ipsen picked a custom-built, eight-legged steam vehicle, which had caterpillar tracks in case some fault were to befall on one or more of the legs (the legs can be folded out of the way to the sides of the vehicle), or if the driver didn't want to leave his vehicle out of the city (moving the legs requires quite a bit of space, usually the width of four lanes, which isn't that common in Überwaldian cities). The Steam Spider can carry up to 4 people (pilot included) in the cockpit. The cockpit is also equipped with a set of lenses with which the pilot can view the area around him and even zoom into the distance.

**** A protective suit made of leather, resembles the scientist's coat, although has a higher collar and is of brown color with dark brown buttons and no engraving. Also includes leather boots and gloves, which Ipsen wears as a part of his casual attire.

I agree with you on the matter of electricity, Gemini.
    #
    Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: