Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Vacuus: Dying, living, or dead?
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Vacuus: Dying, living, or dead?

Vacuus 18 years ago
    Meh - I think I'll move onto Irrlicht...
    SDL, whilst not overly confusing, seems to be difficult to find some decent information for..
    I've decided to start the player on a planet ala Notrium..
    The player would of been exiled there, and after some exploration, will design a ship & leave.
    Yeah, not much of a back-story, I know, but it's not meant to be - the game is meant to be about exploration.

I've also decided that I'll use Irrlicht to create a 3D landscape - but have a camera fixed above the 2D player. This way, when I want to go 3D, I should simply be able to "un-fix" the camera (add controls, etc), and replace the player/creatures/props with 3D versions - without having to re-write the whole thing.

I wont set a release date, as it'ld never be done by then, but I expect it will take me roughly a month to learn Irrlicht (or parts of it), though I cannot be certain..
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    Irrlicht is devilishly easy. All you really need is to set up your camera, load a model and say render.
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Agreed - within an hour I've been able to ad a moveable camera, load several different models- maps, characters, etc, and stuggle with the GUI .

I suppose coding is only 1/2 the work - I'd still need to make models, and animate them. Not to mention props...

[edit]

Meh - I can't seem to find any info on the setText function for the IGUIEnvironment - I've been trying to make an FPS counter, and had one working - except that I'ld get a "shadow" of the previous count..
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    I found Irrlicht to be easy, too, but I had to dive into the docs quite some times to see what I could do. And it took a while to wrap my head around it, but that might be a result of what I'm trying to achieve with it . But overall, it's a pretty nice library for sure.

Anyway, Vacuus, I can't help you ATM, but when I'm at my other pc next week I might be able to get a look at it. Bug me if you have bugs, or rather, your programs.

And indeed, coding is only a part of the job . Models, animations, textures, sounds, ... you got it.
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Thats fine - I can do without for now...

I agree, though, it takes a little while to get used to the structure of it all, but otherwise its easier than HGE!

I actualy think I might add the ODE/Newton physics engine into it - it doesn't look that hard to use....
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    [OT]
    "Vacuus" said:
    I actualy think I might add the [url=http://www.ode.org/]ODE[/url physics engine into it - it doesn't look that hard to use....

Someone needs to read the tag quide... [/OT]
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    [OT]
    No, its this damn keyboard - I can't be bothered turning my computer on, so I'm stuck with this thing
    [/OT]
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Ahhh, I've disovered how to get that FPS Counter:

IGUIStaticText* FPS_Counter = guienv->addStaticText(L"[", rect<s32>(0,0,100,20), false, true, 0, 1); //Where guienv is your pointer to IGUIEnviroment

Then, create a string, modify it to how you want, and call:
    FPS_Counter->setText(string);

Don't know how I missed that
    #
    Anonymous1157 18 years ago
    One small problem: you know how the title says you have a demo out? The link seems to be broken. Have you removed it or something?
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Which link? I had to upload it to Rapidshare, as I was unable to get it working on my site (probably because its an EXE)...

The demo isn't much, anyway - just a simple text thinge
    #
    Games and art based on ANSI characters is my #1 getaway from motion blur, 8x antialiasing, and glow effects, and I can't even use antialiasing because it slows stuff down. Then again, it's just plain cool, and it makes everything look cool and take up less space .
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Ahhh, I hate to do this - but, I've lost almost all interest....

I'm thinking of closing Vacuus, its been a great learning experience - but, after almost a year, I have nothing to show for it.
    I'm not particulary interested in continuing this project either - this was just one of those "What if?" Idea's clearly inspired by Noctis, and one episode of Star Trek. I originaly had planed something completely different for my first game.

Don't get me wrong - I still plan on programming still - more often than ever, I just think Vacuus will get anyware if I don't have any interest in it.
    I'll leave it up to you, however, if the majority of people want me to continue, then I might....

[EDIT]
    Woah - that was weird, I think this head cold is messing with my brains - you can ignore them "idea"s they were pathetic.
    For now, I'll just continue learning Irrlicht, and try to get some ideas...
    #
    Erm... okay then...

I still like ANSI characters though. *sniff*

*runs back to his compy station*
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    forgive my last post - I tend to get melancholy when I'm sick...

Anyway, I've got an idea for a new game, from the soon-to-be site:
    Currently, I'm hoping to use some of my girlfriend's (Xtreamcrazy) ideas & art to start a new game. The game will hopefully be centered around an alien race, the Marpeacillans (forgive me if I spelt that wrong), where the player will hopefully start as a slave on their homeworld, working there way up in their master's faovur, or that of the underworlds.

Keep in mind that it is very early stages yet, and wont be finished for some time
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    yay! funny alien names! I've been in love with 'em after i played star control 2...
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Funny anthromorphic aliens?

Well, atleast someone has some inters
    #
    You know that saying, "One look is worth 1000 words"? Well:

OMFG WTF?
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Errmmm, WTF to?

Anthromorphic means animals with human characteristics - often used in anime/manga...
    It just happens to be Xtreamcrazy's main style of art - and she's pretty good at it, too..

Now, I'm not trying to make a Pokemon clone, or anything like it. Infact, I'm kind of hoping to put all of this in a dark, gothic sort of world, its an odd mix, but thats sort of the point
    #
    Oh... okay then.
    #
    Forum » Vacuus: Dying, living, or dead?
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: