Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Driftmoon Mod Terrain Size?

Driftmoon Mod Terrain Size?

etchevalier 10 years ago
Hey all,
I've been playing with the editor off and on for a year now, and after a break I'm back to trying my hand at a mod. I sat down last night hoping to rough out a version of Hashima Island so I created a terrain, added points around the border and dragged them into the right shape. This one terrain object takes up the majority of a single map.

Problem is that all characters appear underneath the object when I playtest. The whole thing is set as a bridge, and I've made sure the settings match terrains in other mods and the main game. Is there a size restriction on terrains? Do they loose their physics after a certain size?

I even started a new map and created another terrain object only a few meters across and it worked fine. I scaled it up to being most of the map and could walk around in the middle, but getting closer to the edges I would pop down to the floor level, so only the character's head was poking through.

Any ideas? I can break it up into smaller objects but I was hoping there was an easier fix.
#
ChuckV 10 years ago
I can't tell you exactly what is happening, but terrain objects aren't meant to be very large; when the player gets to a certain distance from their center, they stop being rendered, or apparently in your case their physics stop applying but they are still visible.

Is there a reason that you don't want to use the floor settings to create your island? You can choose texture the same way as terrain objects and set the height and all. If you want to cover your map in terrain objects, you will have to use a lot of them. I don't know what the practical size limit is, but just making a large-ish building in my mod I had to break the floor up in parts.
#
etchevalier 10 years ago
Using the floor alone I was getting very jagged edges along diagonals. Hashima Island is lined with concrete barriers, so I guess I could just do a mix of the two to cover the jags but that would take much, much longer. I'll try combining them and see what I get.

I just assumed with the name "terrain" that I could use it for larger walkable areas.
#
ChuckV 10 years ago
I suspect you will have no choice but to combine floor and terrain to make your island, you can make yourself a concrete barrier terrain, and make multiple copies of it using the "export" and "import" functions to speed up the process.
#
ChuckV 10 years ago
I suspect you will have no choice but to combine floor and terrain to make your island, you can make yourself a concrete barrier terrain, and make multiple copies of it using the "export" and "import" functions to speed up the process.
#
ville 10 years ago
That's one of the limitations of the current system, due to performance reasons, bridges are only calculated a few screens from the object's center. This will be improved in a future version, I'm working on something cool right now. But it will still take months, so for now, the only thing you can do is to split the bridge object up.
#
etchevalier 10 years ago
Thanks ville. I ended up making it a raised floor section with terrain objects along the edges to replicate the concrete sea walls.
#
Forum » Driftmoon Mod Terrain Size?

Your email:
Your name: