Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Official Monkkonen.net Chatroom!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Official Monkkonen.net Chatroom!

E_net4 15 years ago
    It seems that MageKing17's shift-key is hanging: 9.0% of the time he wrote UPPERCASE.
    For example, like this:
    <MageKing17> ...F3?
    I lol'd.

Also, good job. What other features can we find on the bot?
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Lots, from my limited questioning of it via PM. Unfortunately, "help" doesn't appear to be helpful enough to list all commands... or even tell you how to use some commands properly.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    About the bot...

When talking in the channel, you need to prepend your commands with an @. "@echo test", for example. In PM, this is not necessary. I will leave out the @ in this whole stuff for brevity.

You can gain a listing of loaded plugins with the command "list". A listing of commands in a plugin is seen with "list <plugin>". You can also list all available commands with the command "commands". Some commands are unique, you can just put them without specifying the plugin (e.g. echo, which is in Utilities), but for ambiguous commands ("add" is in multiple plugins, for example), you need to prepend the plugin: "todo add ..."

You can use "help" to get help on most commands (like "help todo add"). Sometimes the help is not very useful though, but you can always google on "supybot <pluginname>" and there's probably some website around to help you, and otherwise just experiment.

What else... You can do command substitution in the bot: "echo I rolled a [dice 2d6] and the secret is [rot13 [rot13 secret]]". Sometimes the bot ends with (N more messages). You can give the "more" command to see the next fragment.

Some commands (mostly things that can be abused) require you to be registered and identified with the bot. This is separate from Nickserv authentication and you need to enter your password in PM to the bot. It can also recognize you by hostmask. I'm not sure you can create users for yourself, perhaps you should just ask me.

A quick tour of some plugins:
    * Alias allows you to create aliases for commands. This is particularly useful to combine lots of commands in one command.
    * Factoids allows us to store simple facts by saying "learn bot as something stupid". Later on, one can then say "whatis bot" and get the "something stupid" reply. Especially useful for recurring questions of the type "hoaw i mod nortium?"
    EDIT: It seems this conflicted with MoobotFactoids, another plugin with more possibilities. The correct syntax is now "X is Y" and just "X" to get the reply. "Modding is kewl but hard" followed by "modding". Little problem is that this plugins requires registration, but I'll just hack around that in a few days.
    * Games has the usual things of eightball, dice and russian roulette.
    * Seen contains (among others) the commands "seen <nick>" to get the last thing <nick> has said and the time at which this happened, and "any <nick>" to get the last thing that happened with <nick>, including disconnections. Time is probably in UTC + 2, my timezone. Not sure I can change this though it would be useful.

Loads of other plugins are available, some more useful than others. Search around with the "list" and "help" commands.

The bot is pretty extensible with some Python knowledge, so if you miss a feature perhaps we can do something about that.

Any other questions, ask away.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    I think I'm just going to leave the factoid plugin as it is. I have an idea to let unregistered users use it, but it might intorduce bugs and I don't like bugs. After all, you can easily register and set up autoidentification by hostmask. Right, MK?

The downtime today was caused by my ISP who requires manual login every 10 days. I tried to script around it but it seems my script doesn't run as it should. I'm searching for solutions. There might be more downtime in 10 days.

Anyone opposing putting the logs online publicly? It needs some more fiddling, but I think I can do it.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    After all, you can easily register and set up autoidentification by hostmask. Right, MK?
    With no permissions whatsoever, but yeah, "register" seems to work.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.olog-hai.be/logs/">http://www.olog-hai.be/logs/</a><!-- m -->

Updated daily, at the same time as the stats (around 4 AM UTC, it seems). Note that all times in the logs are in UTC + 2, not much I can do about that I think. The times in the stats are right, because that program has a separate offset variable.

Anyway, registration works according to M. Feel free to ask for permissions once registrated.
    EDIT: MK has #monkkonenchat,op capabilities now. Not sure what that will change since the bot doesn't have op powers, but feel free to experiment.
    #
    Grim Reaper 15 years ago
    What happened to Ville? He doesn't appear to be in the chatroom anymore, and that appears to keep everyone from acquiring voices and hops and whatnot...
    #
    Grim Reaper 15 years ago
    -NEWSFLASH-

Apparently, someone *coughZombiecough* has been offline so much that their nick got unreg'd, which in turn unreg'd the whole channel from ChanServ.

So I contacted an Abjects person who was helpful enough to give me Ops so I could re-registar the channel, etc.

Now I just hope some of the more experienced peoples will come back to the onlining so that I can shove all the responsibility on them.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    Heh. What a pain. Anyway, if the oldies aren't around anymore then we need to assign responsibilities to the newbies.

I should add that Hambot2 can, in theory, take over the job from Ville. Except that he will be out every now and then (courtesy of my ISP) and I'm not sure the auto-op stuff will work properly and all that (still needs to be set up then). Anyway, might be better to rely on something a bit more official than our own bot.
    #
    Grim Reaper 15 years ago
    Idiota showed up, gave him Founder, etc, so that ought to be more-or-less covered.

Howevar, Ville is set as private bot, so I have no idea if it's possible to drag him back to the re-registar'd channel without the help of an Abjects person.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Howevar, Ville is set as private bot, so I have no idea if it's possible to drag him back to the re-registar'd channel without the help of an Abjects person.
    It is not. Idiota should have a talk with the Abjects staff and let them know we lost our bot again (it happened before, and they were somewhat annoyed at us that Idiota wasn't the one asking for the bot back... since he's the one that made the bot in the first place).
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    I'm sorry, power outage. My server doesn't act like it should anymore and I don't feel like repairing it right now. Perhaps later today or one of the next days.
    #
    Shingo 15 years ago
    So I went into the IRC room today for the first time in over a week, if I recall correctly. I see the Topic has been changed to a pro-Obama topic, which bothers me. I don't think that the topic should be endorsing any one candidate, and the Presidential election is a bit of a touchy subject - I was supporting McCain and he got.... 'squished' I think is the most fitting term. Anyways, Mageking popped in a bit after I got there. I proceeded to ask him if he'd voted, and who he'd voted for, etc... and then he mentioned that he didn't like that McCain had ran for the office. I asked why, and proceeded to hear a long list of slurs against McCain. I responded with a similar list of slurs against Obama. And because Mageking17 is an admin, he kicked and banned me for however long.
    [22] *** You were kicked from #monkkonenchat by MageKing17: GTFO MY CHANNEL
    Later when he un-banned me, this was our conversation:

[23] *** Initial topic: Welcome to the official chatroom of <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.monkkonen.net">http://www.monkkonen.net</a><!-- m --> | Read the network rules! They apply! | Please bear in mind that this channel is for all ages. (Sometimes...)
    [23] *** #monkkonenchat: Shingo !MageKing17 @Ville +Hambot2
    [23] *** Mode change "+h Shingo" for channel #monkkonenchat by Ville.
    [23] *** -Ville- Greetings! Stay a while, and listen!
    [23] *** #monkkonenchat was created on Thu Sep 25 15:58:43 2008.
    [23] Shingo: Yeah, Guess what MK.
    [23] Shingo: You're a fucking asshole.
    [23] Shingo: And I'm going to talk to Idiota about that.
    [23] MageKing17: Go ahead.
    [23] MageKing17: I didn't leave you banned.
    [23] Shingo: You kicked and banned me.
    [23] Shingo: Because I did the same thing you did, jerkbag.
    [23] MageKing17: I'm an admin.
    [23] Shingo: you took shots at McCain, so I DARED to assault Obama's 'good name'
    [23] Shingo: I don't give a flying fuck what you are.
    [23] Shingo: That was bullshit and you should know it.
    [23] MageKing17: Somebody's feeling a bit touchy.
    [23] Shingo: Yeah, they are.
    [23] Shingo: Because Someone didn't expect you to fly off the handle and do that.
    [23] MageKing17: "Fly off the handle?"
    [23] *** You have been disconnected. Sun Nov 09 23:23:08 2008.
    That Disconnect was me leaving, because I was pretty angry.
    Edit: And yes, I was out of line to come back and reply like that, but as I said - I was pretty angry about what had transpired, and again - that is why I DCed at that point.

For a long time I've seen the Admins and/or Half-Ops resort to kicks and temp bans whenever they get their panties in a knot. I can't even remember the last time I banned someone, and most of the bans are for childish reasons. Such as an insult being directed towards the empowered member in question, during a bit of banter. The general feeling I've gotten from the room is that some of us on the channel think that we have more rights than others, or that we can get away with things that other people can't, just because we have a shiney symbol next to our names. Personally I think that's a steaming pile of.... well, I leave that to your imagination. And yes, Idiota - I would like to speak to you privately about this at the first available opportunity.
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    I support your thoughts. I actually thought they quit that behaviour, yet these Ops don't want to learn!
    You have to realize that everyone is, in fact, SOMEONE, and that someone should be respected like everyone else. Your damned moderating powers are NOT to be used to make it malfunction, but to make it work! I've said before and I say it again: Operators don't deserve their rank if they do Mod abuse. Yes, this means you don't deserve to be an Operator, MageKing17.

And I just didn't mention Grim Reaper's name, because I don't reckon any recent misbehaviour of his part.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    BTW we have logs. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://olog-hai.be/logs/%23monkkonenchat.2008-11-10.log.html">http://olog-hai.be/logs/%23monkkonencha ... 0.log.html</a><!-- m -->

Iunno. I think you all need to get laid.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Actually, I think that ban and kick abuse is something that has been going on long enough. It may not seem like it, but recieving one such ban/kick is extremely frustrating and irritating, and no one deserves being kicked for no reason. Now, I know that I'm not there a whole lot, and removing everyone's op/hop status is kinda extreme, so I'm just going to rant. It does make sense (at least it should), but you don't h ave to read it. From no one, no more random kicks and bans.

Being a moderator, an operator, or an admin isn't something to be taken seriously. But hell, it isn't something to be taken lightly either. You need to have some sort of sense of responsibility. What does that mean? Well, when you think that someone is crossing the line, you have to assess the situation. The first thing that should come to mind is wether or not the problem can be solved with polite interference. This is the case most of the time someone is being rude, aggressive, is spamming, flooding, etc. Most of the time, this is enough. If it isn't, then the subject has clearly shown that he is ignoring your authority, and can be removed and/or banned, depending on the severeness of the situation. This is, very formally, how an operator should treat offending chatters.

Now, our chatroom is different. In fact, it's quite rare that anyone is rude, agressive or anything like that. So most of the time you, being an operator, will not have anything to do. So instead of constantly hammering on the difference between you and the commonfolk with random kicks and bans, you should instead blend in. Just ignore the fact that you /could/ kick or ban someone. Treat them as equals, because they are. Your function as an operator is to step in when the need arises, and to mediate in conflicts. If you're not doing any of those, just ignore the '@', '!', or '%' and treat it as a '+'. We all know eachother, we can all converse without resorting to childish acts of power.

Ofcourse, it can be extremely fun to randomly kick or ban someone. But that someone should be able to fight back and it should never escalate to annoy the commonfolk. So while MageKing can have a lot of fun kicking Zombie from the channel, zombie can fight back. Shingo, however, is no match for the admin's horrible powah, so leave the chap alone.

[/rant]

If you ever feel the urge to kick someone randomly, just kick me, I don't mind. If you still wanna speak to me Shingo, I think I'll be on a bit more coming days.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Quite honestly, I have to admit I was taken aback by Shingo's reaction. I had, at the time, been simply joking. I fully expected to get a PM immediately after the kick, had something of a good idea of what I expected it to say (something along the lines of, "Oh, you can make fun of my candidate, but if I make fun of yours, you ban me?"), and had a joking response pre-planned (along the lines of, "Why, I was just stating facts, while you were making what were obviously unfounded slanderous accusations..." etc.). When instead he waited until my timer auto-unbanned him, then flew in obviously angry, I was a bit shocked.

To be fair, I usually do this sort of thing with Zombie, who has admin access herself. But Shingo isn't just a +v, you know, he's a +h, with, if not ban power (that's level 5- full op), kicking power of his own. Now, it's true that Abjects doesn't let halfops kick admins (as far as I know (confirmed with Grim)), but he didn't even ask me to kickban myself, which I am perfectly happy to do. The last thing I was expecting was for him to fly into the channel, fuming. I mean, he hadn't even PM'd me once. So I suppose he must've taken it a bit more personally than I'd expected. Maybe he'd forgotten to PM me, maybe he'd been to angry to, I don't know. I just know I hadn't expected that reaction at all.

Now, I try not to kick at complete random, but I wasn't being serious about the whole thing. The "I didn't leave you banned" line was me going "Look, I didn't kick and ban you for 24 hours, so I obviously must not have been trying to say you did something wrong." If that's still too much, fair enough. I won't do it again. Just know that I didn't mean any harm with it.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    This has a lot to do with what I stated. Some people, like Shingo, aren't in a chatroom just to make fun and jokes and stuff all the time. So when your opinions differ, and you jokingly kickban him, I can understand that Shingo feels you are not taking him seriously. It just creates a feeling of powerlessness that is quite unsettling when you want to make your point.
    #
    Shingo 15 years ago
    It's not as serious as I initially made it out to be. =/ I just got extremely, and by extremely I mean extremely pissed off. I can't remember exactly what happened that day, but I'd imagine that some other things contributed greatly to that pissed off-ness, that had nothing at all to do with the chat-room and it boiled over into it. That said I think MK deserves an apology from me. As for speaking to Idiota about whatever, that's not needed either - reflecting on things now from a more reasonable standpoint that's the equivalent of me going to cry to mommy when I can't handle the music. I've been off playing Shattered Galaxy like a madman for the past 3ish... (I think it's 3, days and nights have blended together...) days, hence my absence. I'll be back on the chatroom more in the coming days.

Edit # 2: I also broke THE CARDINAL RULE. That is - one should never post in anger. >.>;;;
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    So my rant was pointless? :p
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    No, a reminder that we shouldn't act like pricks is hardly pointless.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    NOTE: MageKing17 seems to have been forgotten for some reason.
    #
    Idiota 14 years ago
    By whom?
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    By whom?
    By the services, silly.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    Forgotten? What? Did it de-register me after only being gone for a couple days?

[EDIT]No, it didn't. Way to give me a heart attack over nothing.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    Well Ville didn't seem to know who you are (using !seen resulted in "I don't know who MageKing17 is.").
    #
    Idiota 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    By the services, silly.

Well, being a bit more specific wouldn't hurt. :p
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Well Ville didn't seem to know who you are (using !seen resulted in "I don't know who MageKing17 is.").
    Either Ville (the bot) had a brainfart, you made a typo, or it has a very short memory. It's not the latter, because I've gotten "I last saw Idiota 4 weeks..." messages.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    Fun fact: The recent moving of websites from googlepages.com to sites.google.com has forgled up the Java-based IRC client I set up. Apparently the new thingy doesn't allow for custom-made HTML files or something. :\

Will be looking into some other free webhosting stuff if/when I can be arsed (unless of course Googlesites stops being an arse and lets me use my custom-made HTML file as a webpage).
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    Did anyone ever actually use it? The only time I've ever caught it was when you weren't arsed to change back to your normal screenname.

An alternate solution strikes me. Would it not be possible to modify this Java application to run independently of a web browser? All you would then need is some file hosting site, which is more easily arranged.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Did anyone ever actually use it?
    I use it to IRC whilst I'm at "work". And occasionally when I'm either at my dad's or my sister's place. Maybe even somewhere else entirely.

"Anonymous1157" said:
    An alternate solution strikes me. Would it not be possible to modify this Java application to run independently of a web browser? All you would then need is some file hosting site, which is more easily arranged.
    Can't be arsed to try wrapping my head around the code. Besides, there's more files than just one .jar the thingummy uses.

'Though I think it ought to be possible to just download the relevant files out of Googlesites and run 'em locally on whichever computer I'm using, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a "web-based IRC client".
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    I suppose I could put it on olog-hai.be? Just mail me whatever I need.
    #
    Crazy 14 years ago
    What, now? Criten down or something? I can't solve irc.criten.net. :/
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    What, now? Criten down or something? I can't solve irc.criten.net. :/
    Try irc.abjects.net, irc.eu.criten.net, or irc.eu.abjects.net, for example.
    #
    Vacuus 14 years ago
    I've been having some troubles with this, actually.

Connects fine, I registered my nick [again] and can join channels and so forth. However it will drop connection every couple of minutes without fail - I doubt it's the client, Opera hasn't had any trouble with the other of couple of networks I'm on. Will try another tomorrow but otherwise I'm stuck. Criten.net, abjects etc all do it and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm actively typing or not.

If that doesn't work I guess I'm restricted to web clients, if at all.

Anyone have any ideas?
    #
    Forum » The Official Monkkonen.net Chatroom!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: