Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Short story competition
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Short story competition

Amarth 18 years ago
    Still no reaction of MageKing17 ... He's too busy with his secret project, I bet . Bah, SNES games...

Anyways, the design-a-race idea sounds good. Will it be held before or after the release of Spore? That could severely affect your choice of races, although I don't know in what way (that will depend on Spore, I guess).

Yeah, competitions should be shorter. I noticed it . But I didn't quite expect (insert smileys) MK to come with a story after a couple of hours. How about we take the other extreme? A weekend competition or something?

[brainstorm mode on]We haven't done anything with sound yet. Well, neither haven't we done anything with feeling, or odour or taste yet, but that's a bit too hard, I think.

A remix of game music (a la overclocked) would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure about the legal side of that, neither I know of anyone that has the needed knowhow of that. But hell I'd like to learn. That could take a bit longer than a weekend, though.

Other ideas that cross my mind: submit highest score (with proof) of a game, invent something useful/wacky, write a song/poem, just another coding compo, some other drawing contest (a logo? we already had avatars... hmmm), ...

Someone combine these ideas, link them in your subconscious mind, and produce something useful from it.
    #
    Lochen 18 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Anyways, the design-a-race idea sounds good. Will it be held before or after the release of Spore? That could severely affect your choice of races, although I don't know in what way (that will depend on Spore, I guess).

[brainstorm mode on]We haven't done anything with sound yet. Well, neither haven't we done anything with feeling, or odour or taste yet, but that's a bit too hard, I think.

Other ideas that cross my mind: submit highest score (with proof) of a game, invent something useful/wacky, write a song/poem, just another coding compo, some other drawing contest (a logo? we already had avatars... hmmm), ...

Someone combine these ideas, link them in your subconscious mind, and produce something useful from it.

(some parts removed for less space waste)

How about design a entire race with technology and whatnot?

Example list:
    Race
    Technology
    Culture
    Religon
    Science
    Lifecycle
    Nocturnal or not?
    Where they live
    Music/Entertainment
    Ect. Ect. Ect.

Edit 1 min later:

We could also make diferent picture-like things, and other things like that.
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    What, design a religion competition?

As for the races, we sort of have designs for what each race does, but no pictures for every race. We'll have to chat with Quanrian about this, as he's responsible for our races.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Thank you, thank you! *bows*

I'll be finishing Chapter 2 of Beyond the Plains soon, so you can all slavishly await that if you're so eager for some stories. I may also decide to finally take another hack at Niefir: Book 1, but... one thing at a time, no?

Hmm... competition ideas, hmm...

How about a competition to see who can get to level 99 in Dawn of Sorrow the fastest? ;P

Seriously, my DoS file is maxed out. I have all the ultimate weapons, I'm level 99, the "game timer" is maxed out at 99:59:59, and I have enough gold to buy a large planet. I seriously pwn that game.

[/sidetrack]

There's always the idea of playing one of those games where someone invents a code and we see who can crack it first... or maybe have somone try to beat Space Empires IV in the fewest turns without modding the game.

Or maybe have a Space Empires IV tournament. Hmm...

[sidetrack]

DAWN OF SORROW!
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    Game tournaments?

How's about ET? *evil grin* *crackles fingers*

I may be a bit rusty but i've still got it...
    #
    Pete 18 years ago
    "Crazy" said:

How's about ET? *evil grin* *crackles fingers*

Youre talking about Enemy Territory? Sure! But on baseraceb3a map! I once had 90/38 there...
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Let's aim for Freeware games if we do any game competitions, so that anyone can join in.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    And Wolfenstein: ET indeed falls into that category.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Correction: Good freeware games. ;P
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    I would really like to have a SEIV tournament, but it is a bit hard though...

Maybe a Soldat tournament. That could kickstart the Monkkonen clan.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    we can't start our own server, tho.

Name it the MonkkonenServer Curse if you want...

And ET may not be a *good* game but its still tons of fun!
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    Perhaps I might be able to run a Soldat (or other) server when I'm at my mother's house. I have full control over the router there, so it should be possible.

But I'm not sure the computer will be able to handle it. And I'm not there that often, so it can only be for a limited time, and it has to be planned. And even then, I can't really promise anything. But if this is the only possibility we have, well, I can try...

How about Nethack? *whistles*
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    Even if we DO get a server running, some people will be unable to join it...
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    How about Nethack? *whistles*

Most points with a premade savegame in a week? I'm pretty good at it I'll have you know.
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    I haven't played it in a while (NetHack), though I'ld still give it a go..

Has anyone heard of Falcons eye? Its just a graphical versiion of NetHack, kinda like Diablo - quite interesting...
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    "Vacuus" said:
    Has anyone heard of Falcons eye? Its just a graphical versiion of NetHack, kinda like Diablo - quite interesting...
    Yeah, but it's no longer in development - try Vulture's Eye.

Oh, and I do not condone such actions. ASCII forever.

But yeah, I like the idea of a 'most points in a week', but the "problem" is we'll have to assume everyone plays ethical and does not take backups of save files and all that stuff.

Perhaps we can use a method as described on the (old) Nethack.de contest. Basically, it pregenerates as much as possible of the levels, and then goes back to level 1, so that everyone has the same dungeon layout to play with.
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of NetHack myself. Mostly because I quite suck at it. I'd rather play a good game of Soldat.

Come to think of it, have we ever had a Notrium mod contest? That's something I'm good at.
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Come to think of it, have we ever had a Notrium mod contest? That's something I'm good at.
    Something like this, perhaps? Well, yes then, we are actually having it at this very moment.

We could, of course, organise several types of games. But there's the server problem... I've been thinking, I can't do it, I am not reliable. Our internet connection seems to be quite unstable at the moment, and that does not give a very good gaming experience, I'm afraid. Sorry guys.
    Well, I could try it, sometimes our internet runs for 2 days without problems, and then disconnects every 5 minutes. So, for a bit of testing, this might be doable, but for something 'critical' like a tournament... Too risky, unless no-one cares about sudden disconnects, of course. What do you think, should I bother about it?

Or I could try to do some research on this NAT punch-through stuff, and see if I can hack something up on my NATed, more stable, connection, and my faster computer. But don't take that for granted. Would be cool, though. But I can't update you on such a plan for at least a week.

Ahh, can't we just take over some other Soldat server? Say, we invade a server, we team up against who is playing at the moment, until they think it's not funny anymore and leave, and then we use the server for our competition?
    #
    HarmlessHermit 18 years ago
    I'm sure there are a few empty servers that we could inhabit.
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    Actualy, I might even be able to host a server..
    I'm installing Windows 2000 on this crappy 100mhz thing right now - as a webserver, so it might not be possible unless someone knows how to start a dedicated one..
    Instead of that, I *could* re-install Soldat on my dad's PC (Damn patch broke the game), and go from there....

*shrugs* Your decision.

[edit]
    Meh - nevermind, I've found the dedicated server - and I must say, it looks pretty damn good.
    I can even set the server to auto-restart, if it crashes, and dump all events into an IRC channel......

Well, let me know if it would be of any use to you.

[edit #2]
    Blaargh! [censored] computer - keeps freezing when trying to load, once I've got it working, ot should be fine though.
    It might actualy be a little while before I can get this wretched thing going - but I suppose, I could install the dedicated server on my dad's computer, which is faster, and almost never off..
    Alas, I'll let you know when its all up 'n running...
    #
    Vacuus 18 years ago
    I *should* have a test erver going now - but I don't know if it works, if you have a minute, the server is called "Monkkonen.net Test"

Also, if the server seems too slow, soldatcentral.net might be able to help - as, apparently, the lend servers....
    #
    Forum » Short story competition
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: