Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium Expansion 2.0 !

Notrium Expansion 2.0 !

xriso 20 years ago
It sounds like you added a bunch of new things compared to 1.0. Can you give an overview of them?
#
ville 20 years ago
I've also put the new version on the Notrium homepage at http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php.

Happy gaming!
#
xriso 20 years ago
Okay, I've just been playing it for a bit... fun! The area with all those green aliens is very scary without the Biomass scanner. You might survive if you notice the footsteps approaching you... With the Biomass scanner, you know they're right next to you but you can't see them - even scarier!

Too bad about the 38 weapon limit. Looks like someone forgot to check his array bounds.

Bug: A used *blank* says "...." but heals player. (Edited by Quanrian)

What do I do with the Strange Bark and Odd Foliage? They don't combine with anything, and using them does nothing.

Also, I've tried using the Tentacle. It's supposed to drop a creature, but I can't see (or shoot) any.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
I did add quite a bit, I changed more than I added though, but still 2.0+ has a different feel to it right from the beginning where your goal should be to get your health up quickly.

The overview is in the readme included with the Installer when you unzip it, just read that for a general overview of what was added.

The tentacles attack from the ground and thus you can't spot them with flashlight like you could with Reapers, you have to be very good about listening to sounds and look for trails of footprints whenever you hear one. Not all Tentacles are mobile, some are actually stationary.

If you're going to use tentacles as turrets be aware they are basically really cheap turrets, they die very easily and don't hurt enemies much, but because you can collect them fairly easy and they don't require anything but using them you can drop 2 or 3 in one spot. You'll see them when they actually attack where they'll spring up from the ground and flick acid.

*blank* healing you is solved, I'm going to have Ville switch to the small updated version which includes the quick fix. But you can make it proper by simply finding that item and changing 10 to -10.

Hold on to them both, they may help you figure something out. They're pictographs, thats all I'm going to tell you.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
If you downloaded the Expansion before the date on this post please redownload from the link provided above again. There was a small revision about a glitch that was brought to my attention. Sorry for the inconvenience. The download on the mainpage will be updated when Ville gets to it, but for now use the link in this thread.
#
xriso 20 years ago
I gave up on figuring it out. I looked at endings.dat and items.dat, and I can't see any way to get the required item (#113). I remember fighting a tough boss in the new area, and I recall that it had an empty corpse (I'm not sure about my memory here...). Is that a bug?

Looking at creatures.dat and plot_objects.dat, I can't see any way to get item 113. Is creature 37 supposed to have an item in its corpse?
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
Crud, yes it is, this has to be the worst thing I've put out, sorry for all the dang bugs, I've already reuploaded once, this is beginning to give me a headache lol. Change -1 to 113 for the creature #37, I forgot to change it to that when I was testing, this version was somewhat rushed at the end because I wanted it out in time to actually get into the Update of Notrium. I'm going to upload again I'm hoping that is it as far as bugs go. When I post again it'll be for the new link. Sorry again for the inconvenience this is just as frustrating for me.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
Well here is the link for Notrium Expansion version 2.1

This version fixes the crashing that would happen when you run the Expansion. If you have any further problems feel free to tell me.

[Link Removed] Refer to link further down thread for newest version.

Put any feedback you have for the new version here please, I'm going to close the other thread. Please don't post the solution to the new ending here as its meant to be somewhat of a puzzle and I'd like you all to at least try to figure it out legitimately.

I hope you all enjoy it as I did spend quite a bit of time on it, and certainly as usual somethings can be done better, but hey I'm not getting paid for this so give me a break There are some neat additions and the new area at least in my opinion is a gorgeous area.

Ok so enjoy it and keep an eye out for Notrium's update as well which should have this Expansion integrated into it.
#
xriso 20 years ago
Alright well if there are any more bugs be sure to tell me because they all need to be fixed before it can be integrated.

Hey, there's always one more bug. I think you've nailed the big ones.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
Well I hope you all enjoy it. Any future updates will more than likely be a tweak here or there, possibly something added if there is enough demand for it.
#
Relativity17 20 years ago
I'm using the latest expansion pack off your main Notrium page, and am having trouble with the tentacles. I dropped a ring of 7 in the Ville Corps and tried luring a few pistol marines back to my little trap, and once I got them in range of the tentacles, the game crashed.

Any idea what could have caused this? The rest of the game seems to be working fine.
#
ville 20 years ago
If you're playing with sounds off at the moment, try setting them back to on.

If that doesn't help, can you send your savegame to me (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:ville@monkkonen.net">ville@monkkonen.net</a><!-- e -->, and I will check out what's crashing and perhaps fix it in the next version.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the creature glitch where when you added a new creature it removed an old one. I believe Ville said he was going to fix that by reordering the way it works or something like that. It could also be Notrium freaked out when you had too many creatures on the same screen.

For now, don't go too crazy with those tentacles, I know I really allow you to stockpile them, but try and only use 2 or 3 at a time lol.

They're also a great candidate for barrier protection because they're so weak, so you might bunker them up inbetween some barriers so you only need one, but the barriers might cause the same problem placing multiple turrets does, since they are creatures as well.

Alright well that is the extent of my knowledge, sorry about them crashing you, it might help if we knew exactly how many you used when it crashed as well. Since it may not be the creature removing glitch and it might simply be a limit of how many creatures are allowed on the screen at the same time.
#
ville 20 years ago
In the new version there is gladly no limit to how many creatures you can have per map, and the new ones don't replace the old ones anymore. It's just a tad slower, but nobody will ever notice.
#
Crazy 20 years ago
cool add-ons, the healing rain area is nice and the "easy" level is still too hard. once i started with the android and i ran into funguses all the time, they were all edible, found one every 1,5 sec(no, really, i did). I died, cus there were no electric plants. I started with the human after that and it was the exact opposite, i was drowning with electrical plants, but i was constantly starving to death.

PS! how do i make sniper/rapid fire pistol?
#
ville 20 years ago
:grins Poor guy. Regarding all usable plants, I found a bug that actually sometimes prevents the player from seeing them. Fixed it now, but you were probably just having bad luck.
#
Crazy 20 years ago
an d sometimes i see, but can't pick up . That's really confusing. And they are even shown on the map with the modded subspace radio.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
Ok first thing I'll address is you question about how to make the Sniper Pistol and Rapid Fire Pistol. You can see the rough stats for the Sniper Pistol in Notrium's FAQ thread, along with another new weapon I added. To make Sniper Pistol you add a Long Metal Rod. Yep its just that easy, but you'll need to make special bullets for it as well so make sure you not only have bullets, but ehter as well. To make the Rapid Fire Pistol you need to make a cooling unit for it, by combining a glass tube with an ice pack, than combining the cooling unit with a normal Pistol.

Secondly I must pinch you, there is reason I put a battery at the start area, that's to help you out as the Android before you start losing energy, so don't use it right away. If you didn't pick it up, make sure from now on you get EVERYTHING at the start area before you explore, I usually find a couple healing plants there on almost every game.

The Android is supposed to be hard to start with by the way because it can surpass everything else in longevity, since the human and alien can't upgrade their food, the Android is the only race that can upgrade their food source. Make sure every chance you get you make a Battery Extension because not only does it add 30 max, it actually gives you 30 energy as well.

About not being able to pick up things, which means they're probably on the boundary of the map, switch the graphics mode to 1024 x 768 32 bit fullscreen and you should not have the problem anymore, nor should you get that annoying bar on the side of the screen which seems to trail graphics. I think both problems are going to be fixed in the update since they are to do with Notrium and not the Expansion, so I have no control over them.

I can't really say why you would see any of the plants on your radar, but I suppose I'll check and see if somehow I accidently changed them to be detected..
#
Crazy 20 years ago
nonononono, i can't see plants, the items show up (shees, i can't make myself clear). and recently i've seen them in the middle of the map.
#
DiscoHugh 20 years ago
hey guys, me again
i tryed the link but it didnt work
could you make a hyperlink?
#
ville 20 years ago
You can download the expansion from the Notrium homepage: http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
The Expansion is also going to be integrated into the upcoming version of Notrium, quite a few graphics were redone and with the addition of a new targetting beam you'll find the Sniper Pistol alot more useful. I'm working with Ville to try and make the update truely feel different than the last version so don't suprised if certain endings aren't so quick to be gotten anymore.

Oh and the link should be dead, I'm going to remove it. It was just meant as a temporary link so people could get the newest version right away.
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
Alright well if there are any more bugs be sure to tell me because they all need to be fixed before it can be integrated.

Here is the new link.

[Link Removed ! Go check Notrium's Mainpage!]

Make sure to check this thread often to see if there any other updates as there may well be. :!!
#
DiscoHugh 20 years ago
Is it nessary to have 2.0 before getting 2.11?
I installed straight from 1.11 whenever i run the program it runs as 1.11!
WTF?
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
First I want you to run Notrium and where it says Default on the screen that lets you pick your race and difficulty when loading a new game, click it until it changes to Expansion. If there is no other option, than I want you to check and see if the Expansion folder installed properly into the data folder, there should be a folder called Expansion in the Data folder of Notrium, if there isn't than you should reinstall and make sure you pick the folder Notrium 1.11 is installed to.
#
DiscoHugh 20 years ago
Is there any particular forum to post suggestions for the expansion?
#
Quanrian 20 years ago
The Expansion is finished and is already integrated into the upcoming version, you can still make suggestions on items and whatnot you'd like to see in the game.

There is a pretty good chance you'll see an Expansion to add more to the game sometime after the update comes out. There is a good chance some of your suggestions will make their way into the new Expansion, but no promises.
#
Forum » Notrium Expansion 2.0 !

Your email:
Your name: