Email: Password:
Forum » Operation Rescue
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Operation Rescue

tucalipe 18 years ago
    Hi. Got a question:

How do I set the starting map?
    I've created a new map with MapEd and I want it to be the initial map.
    #
    Pete 18 years ago
    Have you ever heard about modding FAQ?

Get it here: http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium/mod/Notrium13_Modding_FAQ_2.pdf

And read it all. You will know a lot more things, including your question.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    I know, but I've read it from top to bottom, but I couldn't find the answer.
    #
    Pete 18 years ago
    Well... so you have hew creature for player or youre using human(or other default)?

For human: open the player_races.dat and there should be something like starting area idenfitier, rewrite it to number of your map. Them put the captain creature where you want to start.

For other race: open the player_races.dat and there should be something like starting area idenfitier, rewrite it to number of your map. Them put the other race creature where you want to start.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Also, remember that you need to place the creature for your player (i.e. "captain" in default) on the map where you want it to start or you'll just get placed randomly.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Also, remember that you need to place the creature for your player (i.e. "captain" in default) on the map where you want it to start or you'll just get placed randomly.
    "Pete" said:
    For human: open the player_races.dat and there should be something like starting area idenfitier, rewrite it to number of your map. Them put the captain creature where you want to start.
    #
    Anonymous1157 18 years ago
    That explains why the other guy says he couldn't find the answer himself...

That solves my problem indirectly...
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    "Pete" said:
    Meh. I'm too lazy to read that closely.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Thanks for the help
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Hi again. Now i have a bigger question. I hope not to be a burden for you.
    I'm trying to make a mod named Rescue, in which you are a rescue squad leader and goes to rescue the lost ship in Notrium.

I've already read the Mod FAQ, but, as English is not my primary language, I ddin't get some things right.

How do I set which maps will appear, their location and where the maps are connected?
    I'm using Werivar Mod as a basis. I see that some maps were removed, and I would like to use them. I'd like to use some of my maps also.

For a start, my character will start in his ship, with shuttles that take him to Notrium. Arriving at Notrium, he will find a base already built, with some wapons, supplies, three or four androids, and his squad. It may appear easy, but I'd change some things, which would make it a little more difficult.

Another thing is the Comics-like animations. I haven't got it right on the FAQ, so I culd use some help on that also.

Thanks for yor assistance, and again, sorry for any inconveniece I may cause.

PS.: Don't worry UberWaffe, I'll give you the credits for the Werivar
    #
    "tucalipe" said:
    Hi again. Now i have a bigger question. I hope not to be a burden for you.
    I'm trying to make a mod named Rescue, in which you are a rescue squad leader and goes to rescue the lost ship in Notrium.

I've already read the Mod FAQ, but, as English is not my primary language, I ddin't get some things right.

How do I set which maps will appear, their location and where the maps are connected?
    I'm using Werivar Mod as a basis. I see that some maps were removed, and I would like to use them. I'd like to use some of my maps also.

For a start, my character will start in his ship, with shuttles that take him to Notrium. Arriving at Notrium, he will find a base already built, with some wapons, supplies, three or four androids, and his squad. It may appear easy, but I'd change some things, which would make it a little more difficult.

Another thing is the Comics-like animations. I haven't got it right on the FAQ, so I culd use some help on that also.

Thanks for yor assistance, and again, sorry for any inconveniece I may cause.

PS.: Don't worry UberWaffe, I'll give you the credits for the Werivar
    1: No maps were removed to create the Werivar mod; they were simply enlarged and more were added.
    2: I don't have Notrium on this computer (Damn my report card to heck!), but it was in the file that has a lot of 0;'s and -1;'s.
    3: Love yer idea! However, one thing you'll have to ask me about if you decide to add it (Seems likely) is returning to the wrecked ship from the first panel of the intro in the Deafult and Werivar mods. That was my mod, and although there was a bug that kept me from finishing it, I'd still like to keep it as mine. So you'll have to ask about that.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    2: I don't have Notrium on this computer (Damn my report card to heck!), but it was in the file that has a lot of 0;'s and -1;'s.
    That'd be the maps.dat file.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Right. I already know how to do the starting map, which is being built right now (I'm using some new textures, they were taken from the System Shock 2, from Looking Glass...). Apparently to create a shuttle that ferries the player between Notrium and his MotherShip, I'll need to create another shuttle, and add properties like the one at the VIlle Corp Area. Am I right?

Next I'm going to shuffle the maps a little. I've done a minimap of how I'd like it to be. Map.gif

Where It shows Blue, Red or Green is the map group that may appear. For example, in Green, may appear The graveyard or one of the rainforest maps.

Another question relted to mapping: Will I have to put the separate maps (Bunker, MotherShip, VC Bunker, Comm Array, etc) in maps.dat?
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Got another question:

How can I create a new Shuttle that would ferry the player? I've made a new shuttle. It's red: Shuttle2.png
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Firstly: Don't double post. There's an edit button in the top-right corner of your post in case you want to correct/add/remove something in/to/from your post.

Secondly: I believe the "map shuffling" is done by setting a map class to the maps.dat whereever you want the map of that class to appear (or something like that... Check the default mod's maps.dat and the areas.dat and the modding FAQ for more info).

Thirdly: Do you want it to "ferry" the player like the normal shuttle does? If so, just copy the shuttle plot object from the default mod and edit it a bit.
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    "tucalipe" said:
    Got another question:

How can I create a new Shuttle that would ferry the player? I've made a new shuttle. It's red: Shuttle2.png

That's pretty well done (Did you use a hue editor or do that by mouse?). But, to use that as a creature it must be in a creature image. Since you appear to have a quality image editor, create a 512x512 image and paste your ship at the very top right, if you can't center it, add a black pixel on the left (exactly top left) of your 128x128 image and than copy it again and position it so the black pixel is in the top left of the image. Than you can erase the black pixel.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "Inane" said:
    "tucalipe" said:
    Got another question:

That's pretty well done (Did you use a hue editor or do that by mouse?). But, to use that as a creature it must be in a creature image. Since you appear to have a quality image editor, create a 512x512 image and paste your ship at the very top right, if you can't center it, add a black pixel on the left (exactly top left) of your 128x128 image and than copy it again and position it so the black pixel is in the top left of the image. Than you can erase the black pixel.
    And if that's the case, you should rotate it to look upwards.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Thanks. I used Fireworks. But I'm not using it as a creature. I'm using like a plot object. Just like the original golden shuttle.

About the ferry, i've got it done. I can now go from the planet to the ship, and vice versa. However, each time I use the shuttle, I appear in the other map, at a random place. How can I set a location where the player appears?

About the map, I still don't understand how the map.dat works... What I have understood is that either I specify what map will appear, or I specify what area class. But the first time I tweaked the file, Notrium crashed, so I decided to leave it behind for now...
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "tucalipe" said:
    About the ferry, i've got it done. I can now go from the planet to the ship, and vice versa. However, each time I use the shuttle, I appear in the other map, at a random place. How can I set a location where the player appears?
    Have you checked the two maps the shuttle transports the player between (the VC mining area and the VC ship) with the map editor in the Default mod?
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    "tucalipe" said:
    Thanks. I used Fireworks. But I'm not using it as a creature. I'm using like a plot object. Just like the original golden shuttle.

It sounds like you don't have a plot object as a destination.
    Create a plot object that does nothing and is invisible, and set two of them (one in each area) where you want the player to warp to.
    Then, in the shuttles effects that causes teleportation, put the identifier of the plot object.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Got it. I found out that I need two plot objects, and I must mention them at the parameter2 on the shuttles. Thanks.

And about the map? How can I tweak it without destroying Notrium?
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    "tucalipe" said:
    About the map, I still don't understand how the map.dat works... What I have understood is that either I specify what map will appear, or I specify what area class. But the first time I tweaked the file, Notrium crashed, so I decided to leave it behind for now...

Now, this confuses me. You don't specify what map will appear, you specify an area class. If you want an area to no matter what spawn there, than you need to give that area a unique area class

For example:
    2;//width of map below
    3;//height of map below
    -1; 2
    -1; 2
    -2; 3

An area with class 3 would be where the 3 is. Presumably there are two areas with class 2, so they would spawn in a random position out of the 2 places there are 2.
    -2 means that any area can spawn there if there aren't enough specific class placements on the map.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    "Inane" said:
    "tucalipe" said:

Now, this confuses me. You don't specify what map will appear, you specify an area class. If you want an area to no matter what spawn there, than you need to give that area a unique area class

For example:
    2;//width of map below
    3;//height of map below
    -1; 2
    -1; 2
    -2; 3

An area with class 3 would be where the 3 is. Presumably there are two areas with class 2, so they would spawn in a random position out of the 2 places there are 2.
    -2 means that any area can spawn there if there aren't enough specific class placements on the map.

Thanks. I think I got it now.

Well, for today I have done a lot of things with your help.
    One of them was get lots and lots of bugs.

I could change the star map for the Human, so it always spawn at the captains quarters. However, with any other class, the spawn point is random. I've already tried to use "Alien Spawn Point", "Android Spawn Point" and others like that, but none of those does right.

Another bug, that I even don't know why is happening, is that when with the alien class, the security team (bound to side 0) starts pursuiting me, and the military team shoots me. Could someone give me a light, please?

And still has some tweaks to be made:
    1. Remove the experience and evolution from Werivar's Mod. Only the alien will have it's normal evolution.
    2. Rearrange the map.dat and the area classes so that the map would be laid out as needed.
    3. Remove the initial Werivar's credits. (I'll replace by another one with respective credits, but for now, for modding pruposes I'd like to remove it)
    4. Still has three or four maps to do. Only two of them are random
    5. Tweak the Rocket Launcher a little to fire faster
    And lots of other tweaks.

If anyone wants to give it a look, you can get it here.
    It's not a mod yet. It's not even in the beta version. But I'll get there!
    Rescue.zip
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Is the alien the same side as the team?

Also, have you checked the starting thing on Werivar for pointers on how it's done? You could go for the "easy" way and copy the starting map for every race and just edit the spawn place or something.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Is the alien the same side as the team?

Also, have you checked the starting thing on Werivar for pointers on how it's done? You could go for the "easy" way and copy the starting map for every race and just edit the spawn place or something.

Acutally, I've changed the Aliens to another side, and put the Alien on the Human side. I hope that doesn't affects the gameplay...

Sorry? I didn't understand what yousaid about the starting map. Is there a starting map for every race? In the original game, I could only find a spawn point for the human, and I presumed that the game spawned the player there, but I was worng...
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "tucalipe" said:
    Acutally, I've changed the Aliens to another side, and put the Alien on the Human side. I hope that doesn't affects the gameplay...
    Erm... So the Alien player is on the same side as the human player, right? Then I don't see why the team attacks you. Sorry. Try looking at the modding FAQ to see if it holds the solution to your problems.

"tucalipe" said:
    Sorry? I didn't understand what yousaid about the starting map. Is there a starting map for every race? In the original game, I could only find a spawn point for the human, and I presumed that the game spawned the player there, but I was worng...
    I was just saying that you COULD make a separate starting map for each player race, and set the spawning points for them. I haven't really got the hang of all this spawning location thing, so I can't help you much. Again, I suggest you see if the Modding FAQ has any pointers.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Sorry. What I meant is I changed the Alien's side from 14 (i think) to 0, so now he is from the same team as the security team.

About the spawn points, I figured out that I just had to put the "Captain" creature where I want the player to start.

Now I'm working on the other maps. Right now I'm woring on a military base.

How do I set the hitpoints of each creature?
    And how do I set a dialog? I've already done the strings. However, my creature says the first string, but not the other two...
    #
    "tucalipe" said:
    Sorry. What I meant is I changed the Alien's side from 14 (i think) to 0, so now he is from the same team as the security team.

About the spawn points, I figured out that I just had to put the "Captain" creature where I want the player to start.

Now I'm working on the other maps. Right now I'm woring on a military base.

How do I set the hitpoints of each creature?
    And how do I set a dialog? I've already done the strings. However, my creature says the first string, but not the other two...
    Hitpoints are set within the creature data files, and it's actually called health.

The Ville Corp map is already a military base. Unless you're making a labyrnith-type base or something (and I wouldn't mind being lost in a maze at all), you should recycle Ville Corp.

You could possibly make two scripts that make the creature say the next line after the one before disappears, although I'm not sure that's possible. I'm not sure about this other idea either, but don't you define dialogs in a seperate file? List more than one ID number like a list in the order you want them to play.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    Actually, I got the dialogs system from the Hermit. So I thought it would be correct... Guess I was wrong.

And what is the command line related to the creature's health?

About the maps (and a little storyline):
    The lost captain in Notrium followed the Mining Career (some may call VC Ending). And he doesn't accepts visitors...
    The VC don't give up. They'll keep fighting. They have set up a military base and a military outpost, to try to retake Notrium.
    As in Werivar, the Marines tried to set up a mining colony near the Alien Hive. No contact from the colony team has been received since... There are other mines, some of them still functioning, some abandoned and some overrun by aliens. It's a civil war. And the rescue team drops by.

When the beta version is released, the whole story will be published.
    (Actually, most of the paragraph was made up while I was writing, but when I read what I wrote, I decided to keep it. )
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    What effect I use to remove a healing plant when a item is used when near the plant?
    Now the player can use the specimen container to get a helaing plant and transport it. I've already got the specimen container with the healing plant inside, and with it's healing abilities. But I need to make the healing plant disappear.
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    I got a bug that I can't resolve:

At the landing zone, the body temperature can't go further than 5 or -5. When it reaches 6, it jumps back to 0. I've tried heating up at the spaceship, where I got up to 30. Wher I went down to the Landing Zone, it automatically went down to 0, 5 by 5. How can i set this right?
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    First, DON'T DOUBLE-POST UNLESS YOU HAVE A DARN GOOD REASON!

Second, one of the various Hermit creatures has the code for that.

Third, that sounds a lot like the effect of Enviro-Armor. Did you reuse that script for something?
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Third, that sounds a lot like the effect of Enviro-Armor. Did you reuse that script for something?

No. I haven't touched it's script...

And thanks for the healing plant thingie. I got it working now.
    #
    Now that we're on that subject, what creature do you have to be to earn it? Could you use it as some other creature if it "coincidentally" ended up on the surface?
    #
    tucalipe 18 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Now that we're on that subject, what creature do you have to be to earn it? Could you use it as some other creature if it "coincidentally" ended up on the surface?

I couldn't understand what you said.

--

Here at Brazil is 'Carnaval' now, so I'll have from today through Wednesday to finish my mod.
    #
    Forum » Operation Rescue
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: