Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Notrium 3D engine
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Notrium 3D engine

Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    I'm not saying that it exists yet, but it's been an extra-hot topic for a while. The problem is, it didn't have a thread. Now it does.

So what do you think? We're going to get off our lazy bums and make it. What would be in it?

Current people working on this:

Programmers:
    -Amarth

Modelers:
    -Anonymous1157

Miscellaneous:
    -Arawak

-You must sign up via the new forum now which is here
    #
    Nuklearni-okurka 17 years ago
    I dont know. Its be interesting but its cant be good as good old notrium.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    I think everyone already knows my opinion in the matter, but since assumptions can be dangerous, allow me to sum it up here:

FUCK YEAH.

I return now to the depths of Oblivion...
    #
    ville 17 years ago
    What, you mean like Notrium in 3D? Could work no doubt.
    #
    Redemption 17 years ago
    it'd be awesome!
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Less talk, more action!

Seriously. If you really want to see this happen, you should start working on it! And I want to see this happen. So I'll work on it. I believe it's possible to do this.

With Irrlicht, it can't be hard to get the basic stuff working. If someone wants to take on the more artistic side (3D models, textures, sounds, ...), I'm willing to do at least part of the coding. The more people that want to do something, the better.

Who is willing to put aside school, Oblivion, WoW and other minor things for this project?
    #
    Ooh! Me-me-me-me-me! *Raises hand and waves frantically*

What did you expect? I started the topic!

I'm excellent with Wings3D, and I recently figured out UV mapping. Someone else will have to animate it, though, if we never get our hands on an animation generation engine, which is likely. I don't even have any animation programs, although Anim8or (?) sounds appealing. Guess why.

I finally have my graphics card back (Damn little brother!) but have changed so much that the only entertaining thing I could possibly do is model. So, I will.

Edit: Almost forgot. Here, take this!
    Absolute Web Graphics Archive

Edit again: Read the edit to the first post!
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "Nuklearni-okurka" said:

It would probably make it more challenging. for example, how would you know if an alien was coming up behind you?

one question tho - would it still be from a third person perspective or would it be more like a first person shooter?
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    "Nuklearni-okurka" said:

It would probably make it more challenging. for example, how would you know if an alien was coming up behind you?

one question tho - would it still be from a third person perspective or would it be more like a first person shooter?
    A 3D version of notrium could be faaar better than original Notrium, depending on implementation. Since this is obvious, I will move on.

How would you know if an alien was coming up behind you? Presumably, through the radar. We couldn't remove that and still call it Notrium, could we?

Why can't it be both? The ability to switch between the two is fairly common in both adventure games, action games, and many things in between. Perhaps we could fully animate all the character actions, making third person fun to watch.
    #
    Arawak 17 years ago
    Ill help with idea and misc tasks possibly some graphics and programming too im mostly new and would like somone to check my work and any other things...

PS: is construction going to be implemented like wooden spike pits and towers with ladders? would increase the amount of ville marines in the area though... hmm cooking..?
    Maybe a system of contruction with no presets like moving yor hands around like in trespasser to make items like banging a rock on flint to make an edge you should be able to cut yourself too..
    But having presets to tasks cause that would be too hard for the user should be able to change where you hold it too or is that WAY to complex for you guys?

ooh wounds based on injury and not hp! like in urw that would be neat...

EDIT: AN OBLIVION MOD FOR BETA!!!!!!ONEONE.
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    I like this idea but i suggest making it so that most graphics cards can cope (not just the best ones) also maybe you could include a jump/climb feature to climb trees and maybe ladders and of course Third Person, or a third person option is definately a must
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    How would you know if an alien was coming up behind you? Presumably, through the radar. We couldn't remove that and still call it Notrium, could we?

Why can't it be both? The ability to switch between the two is fairly common in both adventure games, action games, and many things in between. Perhaps we could fully animate all the character actions, making third person fun to watch.

Right, didn't really think of that ops:

"Darkdude" said:
    i suggest making it so that most graphics cards can cope (not just the best ones)

i like your suggestion about the graphics cards, mines nothing special, i'd like to see 3d notrium and i be pissed if it didn't run on my computer.
    #
    "Darkdude" said:
    i suggest making it so that most graphics cards can cope (not just the best ones) also maybe you could include a jump/climb feature to climb trees and maybe ladders and of course Third Person, or a third person option is definately a must
    I suppose we could eventually make a Lo-Fi mod and include it in the deafult distribution. That could be tested on a Voodoo 2 SLI, should it ever appear, and should anyone have a Voodoo anymore.

Jumping is in almost all games involving an animal as the main character (FYI we're technically a race of animals), and this game will have to stay true to that.

Climbing sounds quite interesting. Depending on the character you choose, they could claw their way up, float while bouncing off of it, extend their legs, or just plain climb. You can probably see what races I'm referring to.

"MageKing17" said:
    We couldn't remove that and still call it Notrium, could we?
    It depends. We could make it so that in the harder difficulty levels, all the radar does is show you a simple map with no blips or disappear altogether.

"Arawak" said:
    Ill help with idea and misc tasks possibly some graphics and programming too im mostly new and would like somone to check my work and any other things...

PS: is construction going to be implemented like wooden spike pits and towers with ladders? would increase the amount of ville marines in the area though... hmm cooking..?
    Maybe a system of contruction with no presets like moving yor hands around like in trespasser to make items like banging a rock on flint to make an edge you should be able to cut yourself too..
    But having presets to tasks cause that would be too hard for the user should be able to change where you hold it too or is that WAY to complex for you guys?

ooh wounds based on injury and not hp! like in urw that would be neat...
    You've been added to the list in the first post.

A construction system much like the ones you'd expect in an Xbox game (Manually picking up stuff and nailing it in place) would be interesting. I'm not sure it's possible with anything other than Ogre3D and Newton, though, since that's what the only game I've seen using decent physics is made of. Now, as for why I said it'd be in an Xbox game, that's because I've seen the Xbox do cool stuff.

I think you meant injuries based on wounds, not the other way around. Nonetheless, it sounds good.
    #
    Arawak 17 years ago
    yes i did mean injury based on wounds... anyway i managed to make a wings3d escape craft maybe an engine too...

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=14zy.gif

heh somone else needs to add textures, I need a list of models to make should be static ones like rocks or trees...

EDIT: Laugh out loud XD it sorta does look like a push up lolly pop!

EDIT2: anyone here actually ever played trespasser?
    #
    Heheh, looks like one of those push-up lollipops.

I'd do something really quick in Wings, too, but my middle button is frozen.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Oookay... Lots of enthousiasm, I see . If it stays this way, it'll be wonderful.

We'll need some organization, I think. I don't believe there's anyone here who has experience with keeping such projects under control? I'm most afraid (of course) about the code... It's hard to synchronize coding with lots of people without some sort of version control. And I don't know too much about that . Anyway, we'll see what works out. I, for one, am ready to learn.

We should also have some sort of place to gather ideas and bugs and everything. I don't like everything, including OT stuff, to be in one thread on a forum I don't have much control over. To be fair, I'd like to have a seperate website. What do you guys think?

About ideas already launched: sounds good, all of them . I agree about the graphic card stuff. System Shock 2 runs on my Celeron 433 Mhz and it's the best game ever. We don't have the skills to make Oblivion, anyway. Let's see how it works out.

And how would you know an alien is behind you? By radar, sound (SS2 all over again... ah, the memories... the midwifes...), or simply, you wouldn't know until it's too late. I mean, you're on an unknown planet... You'd better expect the worst to happen.

I don't really like 3th person, I see it more as an action/shooter/RPG game... Kind of like (again ) SS2 or Deus Ex. But it's always worth trying, of course. It's only a matter of pulling the camera back and placing another model in the world.

But seriously, keep your ideas until we have started organizing, please. After that, I'm more than happy to hear them .
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    System Shock 2 runs on my Celeron 433 Mhz and it's the best game ever.
    Please retract that statement before I jab this rusty fork into your eyeball. Seriously, it's a good game, but the original TES: Arena is better than it, hands down.

"Amarth" said:
    I don't really like 3th person, I see it more as an action/shooter/RPG game... Kind of like (again ) SS2 or Deus Ex. But it's always worth trying, of course. It's only a matter of pulling the camera back and placing another model in the world.
    Why bother not having the player as a model all the time? You stick the camera on the head, and that way, you can see what your limbs are doing.

"Amarth" said:
    But seriously, keep your ideas until we have started organizing, please. After that, I'm more than happy to hear them .
    I shall eagerly await that day...
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Please retract that statement before I jab this rusty fork into your eyeball.
    What's with you and rusty forks? Aren't sporks good enough for ye?
    #
    Oookay... Lots of enthousiasm, I see . If it stays this way, it'll be wonderful.
    If there was similar enthusiasm for multiplayer Notrium, this was the only possible outcome to 3D Notrium.

We'll need some organization, I think. I don't believe there's anyone here who has experience with keeping such projects under control? I'm most afraid (of course) about the code... It's hard to synchronize coding with lots of people without some sort of version control. And I don't know too much about that . Anyway, we'll see what works out. I, for one, am ready to learn.
    Perhaps the entire code could be based on modules with more code inside. That way, we don't have to worry about synchronization, although I'm sure that'll be a piece of work to code. Besides, so far we have only one programmer: you. So, it'll be easy for the first few days, or possibly weeks.

I, too, am ready to learn how to work under such conditions. (Wow, I sound like a machine...)

We should also have some sort of place to gather ideas and bugs and everything. I don't like everything, including OT stuff, to be in one thread on a forum I don't have much control over. To be fair, I'd like to have a seperate website. What do you guys think?
    Don't you already have a forum, or am I confusing you with someone else again? You could add a section and some subforums, and voila, we have an organized place to assemble in. That problem's solved.

I don't really like 3th person, I see it more as an action/shooter/RPG game... Kind of like (again Razz) SS2 or Deus Ex. But it's always worth trying, of course. It's only a matter of pulling the camera back and placing another model in the world.
    True. First-person view could be a sprite of someone's arm to make the people concerned about system power happy. I'd honestly like the Doom95 touch that'd give.

[OT] I switched from the middle-button to ctrl-right clicks in Wings3D to solve my middle button prob, but then it crashed during rendering because I wanted to try turning on shadows. It looked cool, though. [/OT]
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    System Shock 2 runs on my Celeron 433 Mhz and it's the best game ever.
    Please retract that statement before I jab this rusty fork into your eyeball. Seriously, it's a good game, but the original TES: Arena is better than it, hands down.
    Go ahead. Get this fork here. I dare you .

No, seriously, I don't believe in 'a best game ever'. You can't compare (say) Total Annihilation to Zuma. They're both great games. (DON'T say a word. Zuma IS a good game.)

Away with the OTness. Get it to GT, if you want to discuss it.

"MageKing17" said:
    Why bother not having the player as a model all the time? You stick the camera on the head, and that way, you can see what your limbs are doing.
    That might be a worse idea than you think. Remember what happens when you put the camera in a model, or in the wall, in some games? You start to see through them, but not fully, a couple of random polygons stay there. That's because of backface culling. It might be possible if you accurately moddelled the movement of the camera when the head looks around, but that's superflous work, and I think it'd feel quite wrong, too.

You know any game in which it's done correctly?

"Anonymous1157" said:
    Perhaps the entire code could be based on modules with more code inside. That way, we don't have to worry about synchronization, although I'm sure that'll be a piece of work to code.
    Yeah, that exists. It's called 'object oriented programming'. And be sure I'm going to use it. About practical things, yeah, we'll see. Not the thing to consider when I'm the only programmer, indeed.

"Anonymous1157" said:
    Don't you already have a forum, or am I confusing you with someone else again? You could add a section and some subforums, and voila, we have an organized place to assemble in. That problem's solved.
    No problemo. But it'll be along Olog-Hai Entertainment, then. Bah, doesn't matter, as long as no one has any problem with that. I don't claim any ownership or something. The forum is found on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amarth.p4host.be/joomla/index2.php?option=com_forum">http://www.amarth.p4host.be/joomla/inde ... =com_forum</a><!-- m --> . Everyone welcome to say *whatever* you want (as long as it's slightly ontopic ). Let's do this!
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    [OT]
    "Amarth" said:
    [
    Someone needs to read my BBCode tag guide... [/OT]
    #
    I signed up but it said it had an error creating my account. Now, it thinks my account is inactive! What now?
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Someone needs to read my BBCode tag guide...
    Shut up . I was organizing my site for these poor souls without a home, so I didn't re-read it. A couple of " missing can happen to everyone . [/OT]

Anyway, off to my site with all of you.

EDIT:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I signed up but it said it had an error creating my account. Now, it thinks my account is inactive! What now?
    Argh. It's still doing that? That merge is not going too well.

I think it's configured to send out confirmation emails (it's a long time ago I configured it...). You got it? Also, just try logging in and all. Don't worry about forcing something.

EDIT2:
    I disabled the confirmation emails. I also have problems logging out, so I can't try it (as it doesn't let me create a new user when logged in). This is not good . Everyone, let me know what problems you have.
    #
    I'm in! I'll just ignore the "new password" emails I sent me by accident...

Edit: Wow, you must've done sum'n really screwy on your forum...

Edit again: I tried to preview my new topic and all was earased... strange...

Edit yet again: The sign-up sheet type thread has been moved to the new forum, courtesy of me. Sign up over there, and believe me, having a dedicated subforum helps a lot, so it's worth it.

Yet another edit: Your forum, as well as Ville's and Vacuus's, could use a C-disk. This site I go to has one, and it's quite convenient, although I don't remember my account details for that site anymore... by the way, that website is near-dead until NV is released, so don't bother signing up.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    See my post on Amarth's forums

Anyway, managing code between groups isn't hard - just have some one responsible for building the project, and have everyone else send their code off to them.

Also, Amarth, if you don't want to host the site on you own, let me know - I've still got almost a gb of space, and not alot to use it for .
    Forums *might* have to stay on your site, though - I only get one MySQL database per. subdomain (although, they are unlimited), and the vacuus.bur.st already has over 300

I also made a post on the forums under the username "vacuus_guest", as my email wasn't working, which it is now. Damned gmail and long names....
    #
    I wonder why everyone suddenly hates Hotmail... I seem to have won yet again.

It's safe to make an account on the other forums now. The only issue you'll have is that your account will problably be locked (Was that the word? I forgot already!) so Amarth will simply unlock it should that happen.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    That might be a worse idea than you think. Remember what happens when you put the camera in a model, or in the wall, in some games? You start to see through them, but not fully, a couple of random polygons stay there. That's because of backface culling. It might be possible if you accurately moddelled the movement of the camera when the head looks around, but that's superflous work, and I think it'd feel quite wrong, too.

It was done successfully in montezumas return (man what a [censored] game that was). Thats the only game i've ever seen where you can look down in 1st person POV and actually see your characters body.
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    Has anyone even considered 3d multiplayer?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Well, if Notrium 3D would be made as a mod for a multiplayer game, then the multiplaying option wouldn't be that hard to implement.
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    Thats a considerable option but would still require a lot of prgramming, are there any moddable 3d mulitplayer games out there?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    You can't be serious...

Have you NEVER heard of the Unreal Tournament games? Also, Half-Life 2 isn't really a multiplayer game, but the mods HL2M and CS:S are, not to forget the original Half-Life and it's mods. Have you SERIOUSLY never heard of them?

Besides, there are numerous moddable 3D multiplayer games out there besides the ones I've already listed.
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    Heard of and played, Yes, Known they were moddable, No
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    Counter strike was developed by a bunch of guys playing around with the half life source code wasn't it?
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    That would explain a lot.........
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    "MageKing17" said:

It was done successfully in montezumas return (man what a [censored] game that was). Thats the only game i've ever seen where you can look down in 1st person POV and actually see your characters body.
    Oblivion has the camera in front of the face. You just don't notice most of the time because Oblivion has a feature to make the player disappear from view if the camera is too close/inside it, and because they purposefully made the camera not follow the movements of the head exactly (I believe they didn't want to make the player dizzy whilst performing spinning slashes). This can be demonstrated in third person view by looking straight up.
    #
    Forum » The Notrium 3D engine
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: