Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Notrium 3D engine
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Notrium 3D engine

Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    It dosen't have to start out with everything we want. We could work our way up to a really good game like Ville did with Notrium 2D. Just work on getting everything integrated into something moderately useful. We're (Me, Arawak, metroidgunner, ImmortalMage) already handling all the models and sound, so it shouldn't be insanely stressful for you and Amarth to write the game, knowing that half is already done... well, one-fifth so far, but you get the point.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    Hey Amarth, Whats happened to your forum? I can't access it anymore, I just get told the server can't be found. Is your site down again?
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Seems to be. It's a rather long time by now... There's not much I can do about it, and I don't like that. I have to say, the previous months, they had an uptime of 99.9% or so, and the last couple of weeks they are down for a lot more than usual.

If problems persist, I'll consider moving... For now, I still trust them, because these are the first real problems I have with them.

Anyway, I got a demo with graphics, stable physics and sound running. I think we're almost ready for techdemo 1 .
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    WHAT???? Did I read that wrong or did you say you've got a workable demo for Notrium 3D?
    #
    Pete 17 years ago
    W00t.
    #
    speedblade 17 years ago
    I'm just an 11 year old boy. What can I do to help? (Likely nothing)
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    WHAT???? Did I read that wrong or did you say you've got a workable demo for Notrium 3D?
    Well, if you call walking around a badly-textured heightmap with a cube you can bounce against that makes a bit of noise a demo for Notrium 3D, then yes.

In short, no. We managed to integrate all the libraries into a fairly usable package. That's Techdemo 1. Then we're going to do something useful with it.

"speedblade" said:
    I'm just an 11 year old boy. What can I do to help? (Likely nothing)
    Well, when (if ever ) the site is back up, go and check what we need. Currently almost everyone could help us, from coders to modellers, sound guys and even plain testers/idea generators. Even if you don't think you can help much, just hang around. The more, the merrier. And I'm just a 19 year old boy, and I think I'm doing a bit of useful stuff on this project, so why wouldn't you?

I'm waiting for the site to come back up. If I know nothing by, say, Wednesday, I'm going to search another temporal host, and they better give some good explanation.

[EDIT] Seems like there finally is some explanation... They had a rather hard server crash, with corrupted RAM and all that joy... If things are as planned, it should be fixed in about 24 hours.
    /me is happy.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Site is partly up again. There's still some database problems, though, but the non-db part of the site is working. That's the <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://amarth.p4host.be/users/">http://amarth.p4host.be/users/</a><!-- m --> folder that'll work. I hope the database will be back quickly now, so that the other parts of the site will work, too...
    #
    DeadSource 17 years ago
    If you need some new musical views to Notrium 3D, I believe I can help you.
    I'm an electronic music composer, and can either remake the original Notrium music <menu, and the other in-game trakcs>, or compose new music that fits it.. I can try it, yeah..

Edit: I really like the idea of a 3D Notrium, I would be glad to see it happen. Thumbs up!
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    You were right, that demo isnt much to look at, I cant be sure due to a lack of points of reference but i think once you start moving you keep going in that direction without stopping
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "DeadSource" said:
    If you need some new musical views to Notrium 3D, I believe I can help you.
    Well, you should check out the sound board once the forum comes back. We already have a sounds guy, but more opinions can never be a problem, I think.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think we can't use the music of Notrium itself. I'd rather have new music.
    "Darkdude" said:
    You were right, that demo isnt much to look at, I cant be sure due to a lack of points of reference but i think once you start moving you keep going in that direction without stopping
    Could be... I had quite some trouble with the player physics. That's probably an old demo anyway. I'd upload the newest one, but I don't even have 5 minutes to prepare it and upload it, so sorry. Perhaps this night, if my project for programming class is finished (a game - how ironic).
    #
    DeadSource 17 years ago
    No problem, anyhows I don't deal with sounds effects, just the music.
    I'll stick around for now.
    #
    Darkdude 17 years ago
    You could just use villes midis until you got the rest of the game to a workable level and then subsitute in new ones
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    No! No changing of the menu music! I love that track!
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Darkdude" said:
    You could just use villes midis until you got the rest of the game to a workable level and then subsitute in new ones
    Firstly, the musics of Notrium were made by Kush Diarra (IIRC).

Secondly, the sounds are not in MIDI format - they're MP3s.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    The site's up again. Let's hope it stays up.

I didn't have much time for the techdemo lately (yesterday, we worked on that programming project for school 'till 5 AM, tonight it'll be about the same, I think), but I should have some time tomorrow or friday.
    #
    Yay. Let's hope it dosen't crash on us again.
    #
    DeadSource 17 years ago
    I recon those were made with Reason, one of the proggies I'm working with. Then again, I could be wrong.. They were too light for me, and for the game, anyway.

EDIT: The subject here was the tracks, sorry for jumping.
    Where's the site, anyway?
    #
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amarth.p4host.be/">http://www.amarth.p4host.be/</a><!-- m -->

By the way, it's down again. Don't believe it? Try the links in my sig, too.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    http://www.amarth.p4host.be/

By the way, it's down again. Don't believe it? Try the links in my sig, too.
    Works, here...
    #
    In that case, expect it to go up and down.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    How bes the progress?
    #
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amarth.p4host.be/">http://www.amarth.p4host.be/</a><!-- m --> has all you need to know in it.

If you'd like, there's a "What's in YOUR compy?" topic that might help with the programming... you know, so we know what we're dealing with? Go ahead and post there. We might invite you for testing sometime next year if your specs are wierd enough.
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm going to move this to the Projects Thread. Reason being is too many people are going to confuse this with an official project myself and Ville are working on and we've got zilch to with it and probably never will. I think it's a great idea and hope you guys finish it.
    #
    Thanks, Quan!

The more system stats we have, the more numbers we have to choose from to work with. I think that, if we get enough stats, we might end up inviting specific people to alpha- and beta-test the game. So, keep'em coming! You can simply guest-post it if you don't feel like having an account.
    #
    Casanova 17 years ago
    Have you considered doing this as a mod for an existing game such as HL2? It would save you a lot of time and let you focus on the fun stuff rather than spending months writing a engine with all the features you want.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    There's of course the downside (not everyone can play it).

Oh, you could try using the Torque Game Engine. You can get the demo (just the binaries, i.e. prebuilt engine) for free. If you have a spare $100, though, you could go for the Indie lisence (source code and tutorials and other neat crap like that) and optimize the engine to suit your needs.
    #
    Casanova 17 years ago
    There is also the option of using a open source game as the base, such as quake2 , and cube, Nexuiz, etc.

They do have some nice support for multiplayer. We DO want to play coop games, right?
    #
    That was originally planned. I think the base engine is still set up to accept multiplayer code, but dosen't have any. Vacuus should be able to clear that up once and for all.

While searching around in the old topics, I stumbled upon the Doomsday engine. Apparently, if you were to write a couple DLLs for it, you could make your own DOOM clone. If things get bad enough, we could possibly try it. Of course, Notrium is also an adventure game, so that might not work out too well... Nevermind.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    The link you provided the other day is our of function, anon. The same counts for your forum.
    #
    Works for me. Try <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amarth.p4host.be/forum/">http://www.amarth.p4host.be/forum/</a><!-- m -->

Sweet! New posts! FINALLY!
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    That was originally planned. I think the base engine is still set up to accept multiplayer code, but dosen't have any. Vacuus should be able to clear that up once and for all.

While searching around in the old topics, I stumbled upon the Doomsday engine. Apparently, if you were to write a couple DLLs for it, you could make your own DOOM clone. If things get bad enough, we could possibly try it. Of course, Notrium is also an adventure game, so that might not work out too well... Nevermind.

Even a Doom engine would be fine for your purposes. Do not forget you're just taking the first person element and map design. How you use the map itself and interact with the world is completely up to the code you add. There isn't anything terribly complicated about Notrium's gameplay. Have you guys taken a look at the new Cube engine ? That engine should be more than good enough, and it's still in development so it's only going to get better.
    #
    I've seen the Cube engine in action in the game named after it. My only complaint is that intermediate floors aren't supported... or are they? *Googles Cube*
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Doomsday is a truly grate engine - I've seen it used for a range of things, and is relativly small, too.. Indeed, it would save alot of work.

..and, yes, our engine has some basic multiplayer code - it's just the idea of synchronising all the player enviroments into something playable
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    You know what the big trouble is with 'premade engines'? Flexibility.

We need inventories, journals, day/night phases, outdoor scenes, random maps, ... If you can give me an engine (preferably free & cross-platform) supporting all that, yes please.

Can't say we can do it better or anything, but it does certainly rule out a lot of choices, and we don't want to waste too much time to see that we can't solve something when we're halfway. So IF we use another engine, it'll be an open-source one, so that we might modify it when needed. And then I don't know what the big difference is between using Irrlicht with a couple of other libraries, and using a complete engine.
    #
    Forum » The Notrium 3D engine
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: