Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Android Mod

Android Mod

Genoce 17 years ago
Hello, im new to the forum but old to notrium, ive played the game with every character bar the pysonic on hard and am now considering making a mod based around the andriod

for this mod im going to need to make waypoints for certant creatures, since i know nothing about modding i need some help

but dont worry, im a fast learner
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
Step 1: Read the Modding FAQ.
#
Pete 17 years ago
Step 2: Dont try to control creatures. Its nearly impossible.
#
Genoce 17 years ago
well, in the ice area the ice aliens seem to follow a way point and stay in line, i need something along them lines
#
Pete 17 years ago
They do? I never went to the ice area in 1.3...
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Genoce" said:
well, in the ice area the ice aliens seem to follow a way point and stay in line, i need something along them lines
That must have been merely a coincidence, the AI cannot do things like that.

"Pete" said:
Step 2: Dont try to control creatures. Its nearly impossible.
That's not true... it's trying to control them without having the player take direct control that's nearly impossible.
#
Pete 17 years ago
MageKing, would you PLEASE stop doing that? Its funny the first time, but the 164th its annoing!
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Pete" said:
MageKing, would you PLEASE stop doing that? Its funny the first time, but the 164th its annoing!
...Yes, but that is hilarious.
#
kopana 17 years ago
Praise magekings sense of humor but anyway what is up with that? how can that not be scripted or something? as an avid morrowind player and modder it just seems impossible to me for the aliens to all coincidentally follow the exact same roout in a straight line from start to finish unless the ai just calculates once for all the creatures rather than individually. Basically i'm wondering does the ai work : I choose Left! everyone turn 4.234 degrees left!
or does it work like: you go so far right, you turn around, you stop for 4 seconds and then turn left!
so which is it? could the whole ice alien thing really just be a quirk?

Edit: btw nice avatar grim? sorry if im wrong but it's new?
#
Pete 17 years ago
No. It had to be a coincidence. The AI in Notrium is just incatable of doing such things.
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
[OT]
"kopana" said:
Yes, you're right, it IS a new avvy, but my name is spelled with a capital G. [/OT]
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"kopana" said:
Praise magekings sense of humor but anyway what is up with that? how can that not be scripted or something? as an avid morrowind player and modder it just seems impossible to me for the aliens to all coincidentally follow the exact same roout in a straight line from start to finish unless the ai just calculates once for all the creatures rather than individually. Basically i'm wondering does the ai work : I choose Left! everyone turn 4.234 degrees left!
or does it work like: you go so far right, you turn around, you stop for 4 seconds and then turn left!
so which is it? could the whole ice alien thing really just be a quirk?

The AI is "controlled" entirely by parameters... that is, in the AI_tactics.dat the modder can set what the AI will do in general, but nobody can control specifically what they do. You can set an enemy to, for example, stay near the entryway to a building, but you can't, for example, tell it to march in a square pattern.
#
Quanrian 17 years ago
The best you can hope for as far as doing anything fancy with the AI is to 'trick' it into doing something it normally wouldn't do using creative scripting. I never found Morrowind's AI all that good, but meh that's just me. If there is more of one creature and they're following something they do tend to flock. There was some tricks discussed to prevent this but I think only Casanova had any real success with it.

So if you want fancier AI than you're going to have to limit how much of a certain creature there is an area. So if something is very smart, limit it even more. Even the smartest AI is going to act pretty stupid in a swarm. There is path finding as well, but it's not something you should depend on and the creatures still function best with as little obstruction as possible.

By the way, you said you were new to modding. You contradicted yourself by saying your an 'avid' modder for Morrowind. Try starting small and working your way up to things like AI. Creating complicated AI takes an intense knowledge of how the scripts work and at this time you're a long ways off from that. In the least you should know how the the AI_Tactics file works and what the different settings do. Just tweaking one setting in there a little can cause, at times a drastic difference in how they behave.
#
kopana 17 years ago
I meant new to notrium modding the most i ever did with it before some work now is that i once erased all traces of food and temperature from easy mode so i could just run around and kill everything for fun It get's old fast without the challenge but the learning curve is much easier than it seems for playing the game
#
Quanrian 17 years ago
"kopana" said:
I meant new to notrium modding the most i ever did with it before some work now is that i once erased all traces of food and temperature from easy mode so i could just run around and kill everything for fun It get's old fast without the challenge but the learning curve is much easier than it seems for playing the game

What's a learning curve ? Me and Ville just thought it'd be kewl to see how many times people would die before giving up . Seriously though we purposely tried to make the game as hard as possible. The tutorial was about the only real aid we gave the player since most 'completely' ignored ALL the hints we gave in the journals. Unfortunately without people trying to tutorial, which was very well done by the way, and ignoring journal entries, the learning curve was signifigantly steeper.

Still, new or not, always read the excessively long Modding FAQ I wrote and was later updated by somebody. It comes in several flavors or formats if you prefer. So please taste them all and you might just find one edible enough to aid you in your modding of Notrium .
#
kopana 17 years ago
That may be true about a majority of people, but i for one actually tried the tutorial and paid close attention to the journal! Just check my post list and you can find my first couple from way back where i asked a couple of questions. After that i left, dicked around with other stuff for a long time, and then came back to play notrium Also my main problem was that back then my reflexes were still under development in a way. So my playing session adds up to
Notrium Started
Human Selected
Your Hungry Go eat faggot
Walk Outside
Death By Total Pwninization!
New Game? (Y) (N)

Totally sucked back then because i could never go outside because the crappy human punch wouldn't kill the aliens
The game's pretty darn good now Though I ended up replacing default with werivar seeing as it's SOOO much better
#
Inane 17 years ago
Er, actually, I'm a bit dissapointed in everyone here, as ice aliens do move in formation.
They're setup with the 'follow' tactic.
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Inane" said:
Er, actually, I'm a bit dissapointed in everyone here, as ice aliens do move in formation.
"Follow" doesn't create formations, it creates swarms following things.
#
Redemption 17 years ago
all they are doing is following the next one in line, take control of a large ice alien (effect 50 with effect 49) and see what i mean.
#
Roboman 17 years ago
"Inane" said:

Did you have BBCode on? I was thinking the same thing as you, they do follow in formation, otherwise when they attacked you if they got out alive they wouldn't reform!

Speaking of taking control of ice aliens, I have a question, pretty simple really, I guess. How does one do that? Take control of an alien, I mean. Does it retain info like what it eats, attacks it can perform, and default side?

Also, what's the easiest way to change a turret's weapon? I'm having a little try, but I don't know if it will work.
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
[OT]
"Roboman" said:
"Inane" said:
Did you have BBCode on?
Having BBCode on doesn't fix the fact that he forgot the / from the second . [/OT]
#
Redemption 17 years ago
"Roboman" said:
Speaking of taking control of ice aliens, I have a question, pretty simple really, I guess. How does one do that? Take control of an alien, I mean. Does it retain info like what it eats, attacks it can perform, and default side?

create an item that uses effect 50 and 49 and you will take control of the nearest creature. (I made an item of this for fun a while ago, i could give you it's code if you want it.)
yes it does retain it's attacks and default side, im not sure about the eating though.

"Roboman" said:
Also, what's the easiest way to change a turret's weapon? I'm having a little try, but I don't know if it will work.

the easiest way would be to edit the creatures.dat file (with notepad). do a search for 'machine gun turret' and change the 'weapon number' with the identifier of the weapon you want it to fire.
#
Roboman 17 years ago
Thanks Redemption, I'll do that, but whats effect 50 and 49?
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
"Roboman" said:
Thanks Redemption, I'll do that, but whats effect 50 and 49?
Read either the Notrium Modding FAQ or the Notes.txt found in the data folders.

...or both, if you're feeling up to it.
#
Genoce 17 years ago
In my Mod there will be small teams of mining bots going to a Mine, standing there for a few seconds, going to a drop-off point, and repeting the cycle

It is possible, i know its possible, even if its nearly impossible, i still want to try
#
Quanrian 17 years ago
I renamed the thread. Please don't use obscure titles for threads, it should be either the name of your mod or a close description. This section of the forum in particular gets full of junk mods that never even get names and just fester.
#
Redemption 17 years ago
"Genoce" said:
In my Mod there will be small teams of mining bots going to a Mine, standing there for a few seconds, going to a drop-off point, and repeting the cycle

It is possible, i know its possible, even if its nearly impossible, i still want to try

Eat items maybe?

Inj the werivar mod the escape pods reached Notrium because they were "hunting" an invisible creature positioned there, maybe you could use this method?
#
speedblade 17 years ago
"Redemption" said:
all they are doing is following the next one in line, take control of a large ice alien (effect 50 with effect 49) and see what i mean.

I knew there was a reason for finding chips (not the food kind, the ones that are like computer chips) in the ice alien's brain when you first pick one up.
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
No, the chips were the alien's logic drive. You can do that to ANY enemy, whether or not it's partially electronic.
#
speedblade 17 years ago
"Anonymous1157" said:
No, the chips were the alien's logic drive. You can do that to ANY enemy, whether or not it's partially electronic.
I know, I ment that why did Ville make that message appear when you pick it up, i know its just words but its a clue that its doing something special like the alien following alien thing.
#
Genoce 17 years ago
"Redemption" said:
"Genoce" said:

Eat items maybe?

Inj the werivar mod the escape pods reached Notrium because they were "hunting" an invisible creature positioned there, maybe you could use this method?

Would there be a way to increase the range so it includes the entire map, i just thought of an idea

I make a sensor bot, all will follow this one, its made to "eat" an Invisible item near the ore field, but then how do i get it to go to the other one, like, it would just do 1 run, and thats kinda pointless.....
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Genoce" said:
I make a sensor bot, all will follow this one, its made to "eat" an Invisible item near the ore field, but then how do i get it to go to the other one, like, it would just do 1 run, and thats kinda pointless.....
You can have a plot_object spawn the eat item, or have a script do it. If I had an exact picture of what you need to happen, and how it needs to happen, I could whip up some code, if you want.
#
Genoce 17 years ago
Ok, what i would like is a small group of robots, 2 miners one gunner, following a sensor bot, the sensor bot will go to an ore field, stand there for awhile and then go to the foundary

Now, you said something about scripts, could i make it that the food is spawned slowly on the ore fields yet quickly on the foundary, so it dosent go to the same ore feild yet can find its way back to the foundary

Less essentaily, could i make a script that spawns some robots after a few seconds ever time it goes to the foundary?

The basics of my mod will be pretty much this, robots will be creating more robots to find and kill you, you must survive

simple or should i give up?
#
MageKing17 17 years ago
"Genoce" said:
Now, you said something about scripts, could i make it that the food is spawned slowly on the ore fields yet quickly on the foundary, so it dosent go to the same ore feild yet can find its way back to the foundary
You can do better than that, you can have it spawn the food ONCE on the ore field, wait for the bot, once the bot has been there for a few minutes spawn the food at the foundary, wait, spawn at the next ore field, rinse and repeat.

"Genoce" said:
Less essentaily, could i make a script that spawns some robots after a few seconds ever time it goes to the foundary?
Do you expect the robots to die? If not, I wouldn't recommend this, as you'll have a lot of robots getting in each others' way.

"Genoce" said:
The basics of my mod will be pretty much this, robots will be creating more robots to find and kill you, you must survive
I guess that answers the question. Yes, it can be done, and fairly easily.

"Genoce" said:
simple or should i give up?
You should never give up, and it should be fairly simple.
#
Forum » Android Mod

Your email:
Your name: