• « previous
  • » next
  • Spambots please suck my behind kthx

The Gemini 17 years ago
    We just have to wait and see.
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    Damn.

Well, we could bombard Ville with PMs to make him preform maintenance. And also, what are we going to do about that one insane adbot whose thread is (AFAIK) still sitting in the Magebane subforum?
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Or I could bruteforce your account, and change your password for annoying Ville so much (Just joking, by the way)

Seriously, though, once I finish the AI demo, and do some more work on my new site, I'll re-download PHPBB2 (if I can find the right version), and code some saught of login authentication, which I'll send to Ville, if he wants it....
    #
    Pete 17 years ago
    I cant even figure out what the purpose of the last adbot was. Say its nice here or what?
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Seems like the adbots have some intelligence after all.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    Seems like the adbots have some intelligence after all.
    ARTIFICIAL intelligence.

Besides, the advertisement is there. If not in the post itself, then in the profile.

Also, how 'bout we dump a few pages of old threads that we don't use to another forum section where only moderator-like people can post? That just might eliminate those that try to post in the forum section with the highest number of posts.
    #
    ville 17 years ago
    I'd rather just change the forum software. PHPBB has one major problem, it's too widespread, so it's a favourite target for bots.

I've actually been thinking of getting one of those AJAX powered forums. I might test one sometime.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    New forums ey? That would be nice, we eliminate the problem with adbots AND get a whole new forum interface and style!
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "ville" said:
    I've actually been thinking of getting one of those AJAX powered forums. I might test one sometime.
    Yay! Buzzwords!
    #
    Pete 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    New forums ey? That would be nice, we eliminate the problem with adbots AND get a whole new forum interface and style!

Yuck! I like the way it is. It might not a very good way to think, but at least that way it cant end like this: http://forums.gamernode.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4510...
    #
    Murska 17 years ago
    (go kill so many of this quests)

No! I don't want you to kill the quests for me! I want to do it myself! Death to the quests!
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    IDEA!

What if we just make a usegroup for regular members. A member has to be in this usergroup to be able to post anything on the forums, but even a guest can check all the forums (except the mod part ofcourse). A person would be able to get into the usergroup by PMing an application to ville. (Or me, considering the fact that I am much more of a frequent visitor) This would solve the problem I think.

Whaddaya say?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    I think I kinda thought of SOMETHING like that earlier, might've just not spoken it out loud or something.

But yes, 'tis a nifty idea.
    #
    I think we'd need a separate Reviewer group, or Ville would start directly receiving advertisements after a while.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    It's called spam, and I recieve 1900 spam mails myself per month. Really, if we just make a seperate thread in which how to be able to post is explained, it shouldn't be a problem. Adbots exploit certain weak points in the forum software, so the only way to stop it from coming is to make a sentient barrier between the adbot and the forum.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    I predict a decrease in number of new members if you do this.

Members that might become part of the community, might be genius modding talents, or that just need some help.

I don't like it. But hey, I'm not a moderator.
    #
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I think we'd need a separate Reviewer group...
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    I predict a decrease in number of new members if you do this.

Members that might become part of the community, might be genius modding talents, or that just need some help.

I don't like it. But hey, I'm not a moderator.
    I was thinking the same thing actually.
    #
    Pete 17 years ago
    How about we just allow a post to be posted if it has a centrain keyword in it, lets say Glammorous?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Pete" said:
    How about we just allow a post to be posted if it has a centrain keyword in it, lets say Glammorous?
    They'll haxx their way around that.
    #
    Pete 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    "Pete" said:
    They'll haxx their way around that.

Some of them maybe, but it would still lower their numbers.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Or we could make the first, say, three posts have the same sort of number test as in the registration.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    That idea's been suggested already hasn't it?
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    A small idea I had lately, thank-you goes to Anony.

Okay, why do the bots post in this board? I'm not sure how they select the board to post their spam. It's not by name, since the name change didn't change anything (or did it? Idiota or someone, did the numbers lower?). It's not by board number or position, since Intelligent Conversation is somewhere in the middle (the ones who post in Magebane are using this method). So what is it?

I think they pick the one with the highest postcount, which kind of makes sense (it's the one most people read). So, perhaps a strategy could be to create a new board, fill it (script-wise) with nonsense topics and posts so that its numbers far exceed Intelligent Conversation, and see how the bots will act. Perhaps they'll all swarm to the new board. We can then make a script (I am willing to) to destroy any idiot that posts in that board.

Not too sure what Ville would think about having such a mess in his forum, though.

[EDIT]Another idea. Why don't we apply the usual spam filters to this forum? There are pretty nice Bayesian filters for mail, and I don't think it's too hard to get/make one for a phpBB board. I don't see why it wouldn't work...
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Perhaps name the new subforum/forum section "It's a trap!" and have the description say "This subforum deletes the account of anyone who posts in it. Here be monsters!" or something?
    #
    You're welcome.

I think the script should generate 16 letters and a number from 10 to 100. The number would be used to specify how many posts would be made in that thread, and the letters would be used to name that thread and seed random nonsense to put in the posts. It would do this about 5k times or however many posts are in this subforum, whichever comes first. It would then start moderating the adbots, if they do post there. The problem is, the forum has spam-prevention software that would mean you have to wait a second to post another thread. We could counter this by having it wait, or putting that thread in a queqe (?) that posts itself after the second. We'd need it to log in as several users to make it go fast enough, though, so the server might overheat or something. XD
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Well, there's about 23000 posts in this forum. Let's set the current marker at 25000. Assuming 15 second intervals between posts (I think that's the default, but perhaps Ville can temporarily lower it), that would mean 25000*15/60/60 or about 105 hours of work. I don't see a problem in letting my computer work for a couple of days to fill a forum with nonsense.

The server should be able to handle it. One request like that should be handled in 0.1 seconds at most, where most of the time is spent waiting for locks on the database etc. It's not a complex calculation.

[EDIT]That was sent a bit too early...
    Using multiple accounts will of course linearly increase the posting speed. If with 1 account it takes 105 hours of work, theoretically it would take 10.5 hours with 10 accounts. That might be a bit more stress on the server, though.

Also, it's a lot of wasted database space. Unless it's a compressed database and we keep using the same message, but even then, it's quite some wasted space. Not my problem, though .
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    i wonder if they dont count characters inside each posts then u can just use one character and make enough threads/replies that is one more than the most posted forum on here, just one or a few, that wouldnt overload the server
    #
    Yes, that math makes sense. To take it a little farther, 25000/900=27.77777etc, so we'd need to seed 28 posts. That would actually bring us over 25000, however. So, 900x28=25200. That's actually not too bad, and according to you, the server could handle it. Also, I think the real timeout is closer to five seconds, so your equation should produce a lower estimate.

25200*5/60/60=35hrs? 35hrs!?!? Did I do this right?

Wow, ten seconds per calculation makes more of a difference than I expected.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    If you put that trap above the Magebane Sub-forum (if possible) it would also eliminate the spambots that post in the first sub-forum.
    #
    "Anarion" said:
    If you put that trap above the Magebane Sub-forum (if possible) it would also eliminate the spambots that post in the first sub-forum.
    I mentioned that in my PM, too. I just hope Ville gets here before too many more bots pile up in this forum.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    is ville still gonna do any of this? just asking
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    He's getting the new software which will have über bot destroyage, so no bot will make it past the whatsit.
    #
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    He's getting the new software which will have über bot destroyage, so no bot will make it past the whatsit.
    Which whatsit? The counter-whatever mentioned above or the "Type encrypted number here" thing?
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "yHoBewas" said:
    I have found a site:

[line removed]

It is a amazing site!

For some days i have earned $425

This program is a real investment, which returns are all generated from real-life investments. The money you invest is re-invested for you and it is your invested money that will bring you the big returns.

Plans:

30% for 5 days(Total Profit 50%)
    160% after 5 days (Total Profit 60%)

[link removed]
    Hey guess what, idiot spambot makers? If someone had REALLY found a site that let you get money for nothing, they probably wouldn't JOIN A RANDOM FORUM and TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT.
    #
    Forum » Spambots please suck my behind kthx
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: