Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Spambots please suck my behind kthx
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Spambots please suck my behind kthx

MageKing17 17 years ago
    "ville" said:
    I don't get it either, but I'm willing to see how it turns out.
    I'd feel a lot better about it if it actually WAS auto-wiped daily.
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "ville" said:
    I don't get it either, but I'm willing to see how it turns out.
    I'd feel a lot better about it if it actually WAS auto-wiped daily.
    ... Especially after what happened just now. Yuck.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    ville should ip ban that foo

and as well as that, give US the ip so we can do things........ if you want........ yes.... things........ less hes on proxy........ damn im bored.. i need a target................ [OT].......... i got into my school's sassi on my laptop today...... BAD IDEA...... i hope they cannt trace back to me...............crap............... they have my mac address............. but i didnt do anything so they have nothing against me........................ FTW sassi is my school's grading system................................srry for the spam............. im just bored.........[/OT]
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    I IP ban all the spambots I encounter on the forums.
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    There is no fool proof way to stop spamming. I have completely wiped the Garbage Forum, and renamed it Junk.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    By the way, have you seen Anonymous<Whatev>? (no, not Anonymous1157, it's another one)
    He actualy created tons of topics with +18 profanity (which is not allowed) and he actually posted in a topic!
    Is it just a bot or a nooby member?
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    He actualy created tons of topics with +18 profanity
    Which is why he will not be seen around here ever again.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    Actually i was wanting HIS ip address.... good PRACTICE target
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "harwe" said:
    Actually i was wanting HIS ip address.... good target
    ...target?
    Anyway, is everything going to be wiped now?
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "harwe" said:
    ...target?
    It appears it's up to me now, I've been made moderator of the Junk forum.

<HamArt> Say, MK... Can we adress you as 'The Janitor' now?
    <MageKing17> I guess so.
    #
    What the f--?

I ought to byte you, you bit.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    "harwe" said:
    ...target?
    It appears it's up to me now, I've been made moderator of the Junk forum.

<HamArt> Say, MK... Can we adress you as 'The Janitor' now?
    <MageKing17> I guess so.
    No really...
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "The forum registration page" said:
    Are you human?
    Sorry, but this stupid question shall keep away the bots from this forum.
    HOW am I to register my bot, now? :'(

It's a cool idea, though - seems to keep them actually out for a while, it's been some time without spam. I'll just test the bot, but fill the forum if the need ever arises to trap them.
    #
    The bot seems to be working.

... Now then, if we were to clean out the Notrium Modding thread, teh server would be having of more megabytes! Not only that, but Amarth wouldn't have to make so many junk posts!
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    Hi I am back! So I guess that the Spam problem is still an issue?
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    I'm quite sure it's actually a small group. I've run into people in the past who pay individuals to advertise on forums. They're usually posting in anywhere from 10-20 different forums a day. These ones don't seem very concerned about being banned since they make a new name almost daily, if not several. If we could figure out what group it is that's disturbing the forum, we can maybe make some leeway into nipping it in the butt. For now it'd be nice if they kindly stuck to posting in the Junk forum.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "In the Junk subforum's TRAP KUN -thread I" said:
    Ooh, I know! We should add a thing that pops up when you first press "new thread" or "add reply" button! It should be a quiz with at least ten simple and silly questions that only a human can answer, such as "Write *blrrrr* in the answer box to the right. Don't forget to include the asterisks (i.e. the stars)!".
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    Answering 10 questions before making a simple post seems a little tedious to me.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    But to make a new thread, it's a brilliant idea. But instead of 10 questions, Ville, maybe consider one of those security code boxes with the funky text. Consider one of those for the sign up page, as well.

Those security code boxes might help eliminate the problem. They seem to work on other forums.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    GET OVER IT. Captchas don't work. Want proof? Try registering on the forum. Hey, a security code box with funky text thing. But, hey, still the bots get on this forum? Now, apply basic logic.

Besides, Ville already said he does not plan on hacking at phpBB, as he doesn't know where to start. How about one of you do it, eh? Send the patch to Ville, I guess he'll be more than happy to slap it on the server.

It's a big enigma to me on how those spambots work. I guess creationism would have something to say about it.

EDIT: if I just pissed off like everyone on this forum for different reasons, sorry. I need sleep.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    haha i agree, someone said earlier i think, too lazy to search that the bots lift the image to a person to determine the number on that image and then the bots does its spam, etc
    #
    Redemption 17 years ago
    Why not just check the number of posts? If the account hasn't posted once, deny them the thread creation.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    That is somewhat of a good idea.

They could post replies, though.

So we could have a thread for just random first posts if someone really wants to start a new thread.

Not that this can be done, but...
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    It's somewhat possible and I've been trying to work out how it would be done. Likely through a special group, which I've been pondering at. This group would have the ability to create threads while those not part of that group could not. It's a very tedious process to start out however. I'd have to personally add you to this special group, one by one for example. It would in a sense be like re-registering. Do you guys/gals really want that kind of segregration ?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Hey, I gots this nifty idea. You guys remember those copy-protection things used in them old Amiga games? The ones where they give you one piece of information, and then you are to use some sort of decoder to get the "answer" to that piece of information? I think it would be neat to use that one.

OR we do it like the Blockland forums do: No posty until your account is validated by an admin.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Hey, I gots this nifty idea. You guys remember those copy-protection things used in them old Amiga games? The ones where they give you one piece of information, and then you are to use some sort of decoder to get the "answer" to that piece of information? I think it would be neat to use that one.
    How about a question such as "Write the name of the first game in the Games list on the main page"?
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    I don't think that the bots are THAT smart are they?

Of course, we have our methods, try, fail, abort, redo.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    Yeah, sure. Then the bots just put the name of the first game, requiring a whole new method. I don't know how we can stop these damn bots, short of banning each and every damn one of them. Eventually we'll have a ban list full of spambot IPs and, hopefully, there's a trend we can ban on.

If we ban the "spambot mothership" then we might stop the bastards.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "Zombie" said:
    Yeah, sure. Then the bots just put the name of the first game, requiring a whole new method.
    Hah. As if the botmakers are going to spend their time on one forum. One forum, consisting of a bunch of teenagers. You think these spammers even know of the existance of all the boards they post at? No, they just use a database consisting of say 10000 boards. One that doesn't work? They won't even notice.
    I don't know how we can stop these damn bots, short of banning each and every damn one of them.
    Dream on. Blacklisting doesn't work. Whitelisting is too restrictive. Banning is a technique that can only keep the real bad ones out, but there'll always be some that are getting around it.

I would have expected more flexible thinking from you.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    put a small msg under website sayin dont put a website here on the first day or your banned
    since all bots have a website, usually and no "real" person puts a site on thier the first day anyway
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    "Zombie" said:
    Yeah, sure. Then the bots just put the name of the first game, requiring a whole new method.
    Hah. As if the botmakers are going to spend their time on one forum. One forum, consisting of a bunch of teenagers. You think these spammers even know of the existance of all the boards they post at? No, they just use a database consisting of say 10000 boards. One that doesn't work? They won't even notice.
    I don't know how we can stop these damn bots, short of banning each and every damn one of them.
    Dream on. Blacklisting doesn't work. Whitelisting is too restrictive. Banning is a technique that can only keep the real bad ones out, but there'll always be some that are getting around it.

I would have expected more flexible thinking from you.

What on earth makes you think spambot makers haven't been flexible in making the bots? Banning is useful as it keeps out a bot permanently. How can you call that bad? Ban all bot IPs and bingo, no more bots. What other way can we be done with them? You honestly think we can get rid of them by adding a stupid question? That's failed so far, hasn't it? Why would it work any more? Don't attack me because you can't think up much either.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Oh, sure that'd work..

Most bot users use a proxy, you know, to avoid things like that... Hell, some might sign up for a new account if their old one is banned... Heck, they might not even know it's the same forum.

Oh, and the "spam mothership" could just as likely be Google - which has many, many crawlers.

Don't believe me? See here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22Powered+by+PHPBB%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a">http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22Po ... =firefox-a</a><!-- m -->
    Notice how most of the results are forums?

Truthfully, I have seen the "Don't add a website on registration" used before, and it has worked relatively well.. Besides, even if bot's didn't use a proxy, blacklisting is too damned difficult. There's no way in hell we'd end up banning ALL their IP's
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Most bots don't use proxies, but when they do use proxies, it's nearly impossible to get them out of here.
    #
    ville 17 years ago
    The only real solution I see is to change the forum software to one that is less likely to be targeted by bots. PhpBB is the most commonly used forum software, and it's no wonder we're getting so much bot traffic. Opinions?
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    SMF is awesome. It's a lot like phpBB, but it seems easier and supports a whole load of fun stuff out of the box. Things like updating to a newer version or installing modification packages can be done from inside the control panel with one click, very cool. It has one of the best features ever invented: it will show when there is another reply made in a thread while you where writing your reply. Of course, loads of other things are there. Attachments, subboards, RSS feeds, ... All of which can be tweaked about as much as you want to, but the default settings work fine. Support seems to be pretty good as well. All of it is freeware.

I believe it needs MySQL, though, so if you have another DBMS (unlikely, but hey) you might want to look elsewhere.

Of course, since you are a professional developer now, you could consider the non-free options too. vBulletin is a standard option, but I can't say anything about it.
    #
    Forum » Spambots please suck my behind kthx
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: