Register
Email: Password:
Forum » New competition???
  • « previous
  • » next
  • New competition???

Vacuus 17 years ago
    Not really my area, but it's been a while since we've had a competition, so is anyone up for another one?

The only thing I can really thiink of that hasn't been done is a webpage comp. Though, I'm not sure how many of you folks would be interested in doing something like that...

So, does anyone have any other ideas?
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Uh.

Picture contest?
    Slogan contest?
    Quote maybe?
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    Video game competition (multiplay against each other in a tournament), story competition (although we'd need more than three people to participate ), pixel art competition (16x16 size limit, perhaps)...

I'm out of ideas.
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Video game competition (multiplay against each other in a tournament)

I'd love THAT one

Making a mod within time limit, creating a new game engine entirely from scratch (have no idea how hard it is, but I bet it'll be EXTREMELY hard), and... that's all I got.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    That engine thing isn't really an option, IMHO. That'd take months, if not years of work - shaders, rendering modes, collison, scene nodes, errgh... Don't even get me started...

That video game competion sound good though, but what games could we play? It'ld have to be popular and/or free, so that we can get a decent ammount of players...
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    Check the multiplayer center on Amarth's site. I'd go for Soldat personally.
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    I think Spring running Absolute Annihalation would be a good choice. It's free, and MK is the only one who objects to anything nowadays, so we might as well do it.

... And MK, no offense. It's just that it bugs people.

I recall that we came up with an idea last Christmas for Notrium minigames wrapped inside one big mod. You'd have a decently-large teleporter room as the starting location, and you'd enter each person's minigame/adventure through them. The person who made the teleporter room wouldn't count, unless there was a minigame in the room itself, or they added a standard minigame.

I personally loved the minigame idea more than any other idea, so I think we should go with that.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    If you want to have a multiplayer compo, use a number of different leagues, then. Action, strategy, FPS, ... I wouldn't like it if there would be one and only one game to play, I think...

"Anonymous1157" said:
    I recall that we came up with an idea last Christmas for Notrium minigames wrapped inside one big mod. You'd have a decently-large teleporter room as the starting location, and you'd enter each person's minigame/adventure through them. The person who made the teleporter room wouldn't count, unless there was a minigame in the room itself, or they added a standard minigame.
    I don't recall it, but it's a nice idea! Good for the the Notrium modding scene.

Thinking about it, yesh, I really like it.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I think Spring running Absolute Annihalation would be a good choice. It's free, and MK is the only one who objects to anything nowadays, so we might as well do it.
    Or howabout you bums get Total Annihilation for real, and we get to play a half-decent mod? Seriously. Spring sucks right now.

"Anonymous1157" said:
    If it didn't bug people, they wouldn't pay attention. No offense taken.
    #
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Or howabout you bums get Total Annihilation for real, and we get to play a half-decent mod? Seriously. Spring sucks right now.
    You yourself said that the game and it's mods are almost impossible to find for less than one C-note each.

"MageKing17" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    If it didn't bug people, they wouldn't pay attention. No offense taken.
    ... I'm beginning to understand your tactics. Very wise, young padawan.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Yeah, I like that mod idea too...

Keep in mind that not everyone can mod and/or to graphics, so maybe we could organise it into small teams, if people weren't interested in going solo?
    #
    Redemption 17 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I can see that working, it just depends on who is willing to take the time(I know I am, school just ended for me).
    A quick idea for the problem of having peoples work collide with another's (Same identifiers, stuff like that) would be to have someone create an empty mod with 100 of everything and then pass it out to the modders, giving them each their own workspace out of that 100. (Their workspace would be the identifiers they can work with, such as 10-20, 20-30 and so on, depending on how many people participate)
    I can really see that working out.

[Edit] Teams seems a good idea. I wonder if we should them join together in bigger teams, so we have three or so of these mods in competition with each other. This way we can have a winning team and a winning modder.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    You yourself said that the game and it's mods are almost impossible to find for less than one C-note each.
    Correction: Game + expansions. If you don't get the expansions (for god-knows-what-reason), the game itself costs, like $5 US.
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    Um. I own TA already.....and I am not hinting anything that would involve PMing me. There are also sites that give out LEGAL data files that will mod the original and add all the things from the expansion.
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    What about making new games using the RPG maker?

You can use any version, if you don't wanna spend money for newer versions you can find some for free.

Obviously points go to originality, story, graphics, and such.
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    how bout make a RPG or Adventure game with whatever you sugested or Adventure Game Studio (AGS)
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    If we did go for that, I don't think we should limit to those two programs. Some people have knowledge of C++/VB/Python/Whatever, and may prefer to use that instead...

Anyway, I'll add a poll. Let me know if I missed anything
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    um... you forgot to add MageKing's Multiplayer game tournament idea to the poll.

"Solus Lupus" said:
    There are also sites that give out LEGAL data files that will mod the original and add all the things from the expansion.
    I seriously doubt that they are actually legal. I don't recall hearing anything about Cavedog making any part of TA free.
    #
    HA! The Notrium modding competition is already way ahead of everything else. In fact, I think it was the second-place idea last year.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    "Solus Lupus" said:
    There are also sites that give out LEGAL data files that will mod the original and add all the things from the expansion.
    I seriously doubt that they are actually legal. I don't recall hearing anything about Cavedog making any part of TA free.
    They didn't. The trick is that people re-create all of the original data and distribute that for free. I'm not actually sure if that's legal (IP violation perhaps), but it's at least more stable footing than downloading the originals.

I like the RPG maker idea. I happen to have it, see, so I can actually participate in that competition.
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    Actually Cavedog is DEAD . Also the way that they phrased the agreement, and released the game (easy to mod on purpous) The only thing Cavedog still owned after you bought the game was the story and units in the game. So ultimatly the datafiles. The exception was if you sold ANY (mods) of it, obvioulsy to keep from compititon stealing the game and improving it (if possible) to sell for lots of $$$ and doing very little work for it.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Oh, right. Thanks Anarion dammed work...
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    My vote would have been for the Multiplayer tournament, since I suck at everything else in the list.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    I voted on game creation comp, it's my harder level than anything else.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    If you can submit games that are already being made (by you, of course), then my vote will be in the game making competition.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    An IRC bot competition?
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    An IRC bot competition?
    O_O
    Anyway, Grim, that means you're challenging me, right?
    Ok, I won't say anything like "You're teh suck, I win!" or "Ok, you win, i'm gonna loose so im outa here!" ^_^'
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Are you mistaking me for Grim?

Am I allowed to be very offended now?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Ok, I won't say anything like "You're teh suck, I win!" or "Ok, you win, i'm gonna loose so im outa here!" ^_^'
    No, not challenging you. Just saying that I'll vote for game making comp if, and ONLY if you can submit games you're already making.

Otherwise, I'll stay outta the whole thing, no matter WHAT comp it'll be.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    No, not challenging you. Just saying that I'll vote for game making comp if, and ONLY if you can submit games you're already making.

Otherwise, I'll stay outta the whole thing, no matter WHAT comp it'll be.
    Your problem then
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Solus Lupus" said:
    Actually Cavedog is DEAD .
    And... who exactly said Cavedog was alive? All we said was Cavedog didn't make anything TA-related (besides some units and maps) free. Which is true.

And the rest of your post, you make it sound like this is somehow shocking news. It is not. Copyright is copyright is copyright.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    O.k, folks, can't seem to edit the poll...

So, unlsess a mod wishes to jump in, just drop you votes here (below)...
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    Well you should know my vote but just to clarify things, I vote for a multiplayer tournament.
    #
    Arawak 17 years ago
    Woo I vote with anarion.

I vote for a multiplayer tournament.

That and savage is free now so we could play that if everyone doesnt have whatever game we might use.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Aye, Savage is great...

Anyway, I'll leave this going until, say, the 9th of January, unless someone wants to start earlier. I'm going camping soon, so I can't really organise an online comp in the middle of a forest
    #
    Forum » New competition???
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: