Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Music Preferences
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Music Preferences

Zombie 17 years ago
    I long to find those elusive genres, though...

Genres like industrial grunge, steam industrial, electrometal, electro grunge...

Ahh, the music we could make~
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Not me. I prefer pure and distinctive genres.

If had had to list my favorite genres, it would be Grunge and Psychedelic.
    Surf rock and Funk is aslo entertaining though.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    "Zombie" said:
    I long to find those elusive genres, though...

Genres like industrial grunge, steam industrial, electrometal, electro grunge...

Ahh, the music we could make~
    Industrial grunge - Industrial rock
    Steam industrial - Ambient industrial
    Electrometal - Pop metal
    electro grunge - meh.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    No. Nonono.

Industrial grunge != industrial rock

It's like... Imagine a Rob Zombie-like garage band with chainsaws. Saying industrial grunge = industrial rock is saying grunge = rock, which it does NOT. Grunge is where stuff like punk music came from. It's like... Metal in sound, but uses things like dischordance and such to make it sound all... dirty. :F

Steam industrial I could see being like ambient industrial, but the difference is somewhat larger. Think of the difference between a medieval punk RP and a steampunk RP. There's more modern tech in both, it's just that the type has changed. Ambient industrial would focus more on things like construction yard noises. Maintenance work noises. Jackhammers, chainsaws, etc... Steam industrial would focus more on things like radiator noises, boilers, valves, exhausts... Steam-y things... Hisses and such are more prevalent, I think.

Electrometal is NOT pop metal, though. These are different things. It's electrometal. Pop metal is very close to a musical oxymoron, even. Any kind of "pop" music is called "pop" for a reason. It pops, see? It's upbeat. Electrometal is not upbeat. It's darker and grungier. It's like a mix of Metallica or Megadeth and dark epic techno. Think if "Symphony of Destruction" was remixed to be 20 minutes long and to sound like the world was actually being torn apart during the song.

Electrogrunge is like electrometal, just that... Well... Most of it sucks. There are a few good tracks of it that I have heard. When it's bad it's horrible and when it's good it's orgasmic.
    #
    Bien45 16 years ago
    "Zephyr" said:
    Yeah, this poll sucks. I'd probably go "All of the Above", but it's not there. I like heaps of different song ranging over heaps of different genre's...

Like, for polar opposites, I like a few 50 Cent songs (I'm NOT a freakin' poser, I don't walk around trying to be gangsta...), and then I like My Chemical Romance.
    I love MCR!!!!
    #
    bwansy 16 years ago
    I can't care less about music genres, nor do I know even a tiny bit of them. I like the music as long as:
    1. I like its melody
    2. It doesn't contain heavy electronic guitar which sounds like broken chainsaw or rusty gates (with a few exceptions). Personally I consider such things as anti-music. Don't flame me for this!
    3. It has meaningful or poetic lyrics and a good singer if it's a song (or if I don't understand the lyrics at all)
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Zombie:

I have no clue about the rest of your talk, but pop metal is not actually pop metal. Rob Zombie is considered pop metal. It's nothing more than heavily electronically altered metal, and there's no actual "pop" to it.

Oh. So you're saying that stuff exists? I though it was just a bunch of funny names you threw together.
    #
    Zombie 16 years ago
    The stuff I mentioned does exist. They are fringe genres. Very rarely heard about or usually grouped with other musics.
    #
    Barebones 16 years ago
    Cellos. They be hella tight, my ears is reachin' out for dees musak.

People are into the whole violinist thing too much. What can I say, I prefer curves over a stick figure.
    #
    Marevix 16 years ago
    Marevix is fond of metal. Slayer, 80's Metallica, Destruction, Overkill, Cacophony, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Imperanon, Norther, Immortal, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Kalmah, Stratovarius, Children of Bodom, Bathory, Elexorien, Helloween, In Flames, Megadeth, Metal Church, Judas Priest, Vader, Warmen, Amorphis, Sentenced, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, you name it - I'm especially fond of the Finnish folk metal that started popping up around 1997.
    #
    Bones 16 years ago
    ROCK!
    Guns 'n' Roses!
    HEAVY METAL!
    Metallica!
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    Lately I've been listening alot to trip hop. It's awesome.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago
    After receiving a cat-ful load of musics (6767 and counting), I really changed into what I listen these days.

High-quality musics are teh winz. Although if you want something more specific...

I tend to lean into rock/metal, and try to stay away from country/crappy radio rap/pretty much what idiotic stereotypicals consider 'music'.

For 'American' band, Dream Theater is so far the best out of all I've heard. It's a shame some of them just plain sucks and some of it rawks while others lies in between. Somebody at my school told me Sonic Youth was great, and they are teh suxXz0rs. I should whack him with John Petrucci's guitar for instant kill. Liquid Tension Experiment is good, but doesn't really cut the butter.

Japanese... oh boy. Akimo I guess? There's so many to choose from, ergo.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Liquid Tension Experiment is like... 3/4 Dream Theater atm? :p Good band the latter, though. I listen mostly to music that has some intelligence. I love artists that use music to make their point, but there aren't many of those left. I pretty much like a select few songs from every genre except the extremes, but I tend to lean towards rock.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Sonic Youth is genius with guitar tunings. Guess you either love or hate their sound.

I listen mostly to music that has some intelligence. I love artists that use music to make their point, but there aren't many of those left.
    Ugh. Not another Tool fan.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    I look for music that exists for the sake of music, not lyrics. If it has good lyrics, whoop-dee-doo, but the music itself is what I care about.

Current playlist:
    1. Origa - date of rebirth (Credits theme from the Ghost in the Shell - Standalone Complex Solid State Society movie)
    2. Shiny Toy Guns - Rainy Monday (What a schizophrenic band. Good music, though)
    3. VA - Healing Winds (No idea what VA stands for, but it's a Soulcalibur III soundtrack song)
    4. Scooter - One (I FELL HARDCORE)
    5. Muse - Map of the Problematique (Because no playlist should be without a little Muse)
    6. Jeremy Soule - Squaresoft Variation (Because no playlist should be without a little Jeremy Soule)
    7. Nightwish - Amaranth (Because no playlist should... ah, you get the idea)
    8. Youko Kanno - Cyber Bird (Ah, Standalone Complex...)
    9. Linkin Park ft. Jay-Z - Numb-Encore (I saw a Phoenix Wright video to this song and it's gotten stuck in my head, on and off, ever since)
    10. The Killers - Mr. Brightside (Because a good, short playlist needs to be exactly ten songs long, and The Killers aren't bad)
    #
    varsi 15 years ago
    This is my last.fm-account: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.last.fm/user/varls/">http://www.last.fm/user/varls/</a><!-- m -->
    Last.fm records music you listen, gives you neighbours (with similar taste of music) and such.
    It has a huge amount of members nowadays. All you need to do:
    1. Make an account to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.last.fm">http://www.last.fm</a><!-- m -->
    2. Download and install the client which records the music you listen.
    3. Start listening. And make some friends!

If someone's having an account already, feel free to add me, a.k.a "varls" to your friends.
    #
    Narvius 15 years ago
    I'm listening to radio Rivendell.
    At least when I play Angband.
    #
    Forum » Music Preferences
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: