• » next
  • Werewolf Setting - Discussion and Poll

Zankman 13 years ago
    That mage thing sounds interesting...
    Though...
    Pirates vs Ninjas?
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    Pirates vs Ninjas could be awesome, but how would that work? Would ninjas pretend to be pirates?

Another silly idea would be a Prince of Persia theme. It would take place in ancient Persia, with hassansins, Ngbaka's, evil/good wizards 'n' stuff... Yea, I watched the film.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    I suppose it's my turn to host a game, so I volunteer to run the next one.
    #
    Zankman 13 years ago
    @MK
    That would be awesome.

@E_net4
    Basically yes. Well, the host (MK apparently) can ofc create something original to make it more interesting...
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    I approve of MK hosting a game. I'm sure he's capable of giving us a nice story.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    So, I guess every one would agree to any setting MK would choose...
    #
    Zankman 13 years ago
    ^^
    Don't the players vote and choose? (and, in this case, MK is the one to approve or disapprove)
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    We usually do some sort of democracy, but yes, MK makes the final decision.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I prefer a setting the gamemaster feels comfortable with, so he can weave it into a story that makes sense. :>
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I just read the beginning of the thread, and there was some Apparently Good but really Evil Mages vs Apparently Evil but really Good Mages setting.
    I like it :>
    That is basically what I used for Werewolf 4. The "villagers" were priests of some sort who tried to summon the end of the world, the "werewolves" were of an opposing religion trying to halt the summoning. I still like that werewolf most (well, of the ones I hosted), especially how near the end the in-game events brought so much tension which I could use in the story. It doesn't happen every day that you can make the whole background go up in flames with one person doomed to wander the ashes, while three others are fighting over the end of the world.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    I also enjoyed that one. Was it the one with the javelin throw?
    And it was the one where I killed myself... oh well.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I just read it, no, no javelin throws there
    (but you got yourself killed, that's right...)
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    I actually read it and yes, the javelin throw is there in the end. You'll have to look better.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Wat.

It's really there...
    #
    Grim Reaper 13 years ago
    MK hosting the new game sounds nice (at least he shouldn't get bored like he did in the previous game he was a part of ).
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    (at least he shouldn't get bored like he did in the previous game he was a part of ).
    Why thank you.
    #
    Grim Reaper 13 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    (at least he shouldn't get bored like he did in the previous game he was a part of ).
    Why thank you.
    From what I recall him telling me, he was bored of the TACTICS (which, to be honest, are more-or-less what actually make the game). Your role (and the role of any Werewolf/Mafia host) is more akin to that of the gaming board; It's not your fault if one player is tired of how the others move their pieces on said board.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    About the new game. We've got MK as game master and at least Zankman, Grim, Narvius, E_net4 and me as players. I guess we need some more players though...

Pete? Crazy? Murska? Anarion? Others?
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "Hunams" rule XD
    (a typo?)
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    "Hunams" rule XD
    (a typo?)
    Not quite...
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    So?
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    So?
    So now we poke MageKing.
    #
    Murska 13 years ago
    I'm always up for WW.
    #
    Shingo 13 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    About the new game. We've got MK as game master and at least Zankman, Grim, Narvius, E_net4 and me as players. I guess we need some more players though...

Pete? Crazy? Murska? Anarion? Others?

And me.
    #
    Murska 13 years ago
    I found a .txt-file of a forum-based game I had once developed with a friend but never gotten around to running. It's incomplete in that it's not very balanced yet or anything, but for your viewing pleasure:

TOTAL WAR

Basic goal: You're a leader of a fledgling empire and you need to get rid of your competitors.

Everyone starts with a capital in control of one territory. The capital consists of a city with a wooden wall, level 3 economy and a barracks. The capital has a +20 GPT to income. Everyone starts with 100 gold.

Countries consist of a city and the land around it. Your army in a country is stationed in a military camp outside the city. If an enemy attacks, you have the choice of either facing the attack on the field or retreating inside the city. If you retreat, the enemy can either lay siege to the city, stopping all production and income, or move on. If you retreat, enemy harassment might cost you some units.

The King: This is you. In battle, he is a small elite unit of heavy cavalry, and the king cannot attack. You can move him from a city to city, and the city he is in will be declared capital, and will receive the capital's +2 bonus to economy. If he dies, you lose the game.

Cities: There is one city per a country. The one who controls the city, controls the country. Cities can have buildings constructed in them.

Barracks: Allows you to train Militia, prerequisite for Spear Maker and Smithery, upgrades to Military Complex(?)
    Military Complex(?): Prerequisite for Poleturner and Armory. Takes one turn to build. Costs 30 gold.

Economy: Adds 1 to economy level, affecting income per turn. One economy point = 10 gold per turn. Takes one turn to build for level one, two for level two and so on. Costs 20 gold for level one, 40 for level two, 60 for level three and so on. The upper limit is 10.

Fortifications: Adds 1 to fortification level, affecting the city's defenses in case of a siege. Fortification levels are 0 - Nothing, 1 - Palisade, 2 - Wooden Wall, 3 - Stone Wall, 4 - Large Stone Wall, 5 - Epic Citadel. Takes 1 turn for Palisade, 2 for Wooden Wall, 3 for Stone Wall and so on. Costs 10 gold for Palisade, 30 gold for Wooden Wall, 50 gold for Stone Wall, 70 gold for Large Stone Wall and 100 gold for Citadel.

Stables: Allows you to train Light Cavalry, upgrades to Royal Stables. Takes two turns to build, costs 50 gold.
    Royal Stables: Allows you to train Heavy Cavalry. Takes two turns to upgrade, you cannot train cavalry in this city while upgrading. Costs 50 gold.

Archery Range: Allows you to train Archers, can be upgraded with a Crossbow Maker. Prerequisite to Siege Engineer. Takes two turns to build and costs 40 gold.
    Crossbow Maker(?): Allows you to train Crossbowmen. Takes two turns to upgrade, you cannot train archers during upgrades. Costs 50 gold.

Siege Engineer: Allows you to create Onagers, upgrades to a Catapult Engineer. Takes three turns to build, costs 60 gold.
    Catapult Engineer(?): Allows you to create Catapults. Takes two turns to upgrade, costs 70 gold.

Spear Maker: Allows you to train Spearmen, upgrades to Poleturner. Takes two turns to build, costs 30 gold.
    Poleturner: Allows you to train Phalanxes. Takes two turns to upgrade, costs 50 gold.

Smithery: Allows you to train Swordsmen, upgrades to Armory. Takes two turns to build, costs 40 gold.
    Armory: Allows you to train Armoured Sergeants. (Prerequisite for Royal Stables.) Takes two turns to upgrade, costs 50 gold.

Tavern: Allows you to train Spies, upgrades to Intelligence Agency, requires at least 3 economy. Takes two turns to build, costs 50 gold.
    Intelligence Agency: Allows you to train Assassins, requires at least 6 economy. Takes three turns to upgrade, costs 60 gold.

Ministry: Allows you to train Diplomats. Takes one turn to build, costs 40 gold.

Academy: Allows you to train Generals and Mayors, can only be made in capital, requires at least 6 economy. Mayors and generals have levels from one to six. You can affect the level you get by paying more. Takes 4 turns to build, costs 80 gold.

Palace: Can only be built in the Capital. With a palace, you can build your Special Units. The Palace costs 250 gold and takes five turns to build.

Mayors: You can have a maximum of 3 mayors. A mayor increases the income of the city he is stationed in by 0,5 per level. His level is dependant on how much you spent on him. 20 gold - Level 1, 40 gold - Level 2, etc. until 200 gold - level 10.

Armies: Armies consist of units that you buy in your cities. They can move and conquer different regions. Pure cavalry armies have two move, armies with infantry have one move.

Militia: Militia are the weakest unit. They are cheap but have low morale and no bonuses. (1 morale) Cost 5 gold, 0,5 turns per unit.

Spearmen: Spearmen are the second cheapest unit. They're also cheap, but have a slightly better morale and have a bonus against horsemen. (2 morale) Cost 10 gold, one turn per unit.

Swordsmen: They are a bit more expensive, but they have been trained to fight and have a bonus against spearmen. (2 morale) Costs 20 gold, one turn per unit.

Light Cavalry: They are fast, agile and good at chasing down fleeing units. They have a bonus against swordsmen. (2 morale(not affected by cavalry charge)) Costs 25 gold, one turn per unit.

Archers: They are ranged units, best used behind other units. They have a small bonus against cavalry, and can use fire arrows which lower the speed of firing but negatively affect enemy morale. They are very weak in close combat. (1 morale) Costs 20 gold, one turn per unit.

Phalanxes: They are an upgrade to spearmen, sharing the same bonuses, but are much stronger and have better morale. (3 morale) Costs 50 gold, two turns per unit.

Armoured Sergeants: See above, replace spearmen with swordsmen. (3 morale) Costs 60 gold, two turns per unit.

Heavy Cavalry: They are not as agile as light cavalry, but their thundering charge negatively affects enemy morale and archers have no bonus against their armor. They can also last in a standing battle, since they are wearing heavy armor, and if necessary can dismount, turning into armoured sergeants. They are the most expensive of the normal units. Costs 80 gold, three turns per unit.

Crossbowmen: Ranged units with powerful crossbows. They reload slower and can't fire in an arc, but they pack much more of a punch against armoured targets. They cannot use fire arrows. They have short swords and act as swordsmen in close combat. Costs 50 gold, two turns per unit.

Agents: Agents are special units which do not fight.

Diplomat: Without diplomats you cannot do anything with other players. With them, you can make treaties, transfer gold, sell units and even cities. Costs 20 gold, one turn.

Spy: Spies can move unseen into enemy territories. If they succeed in gaining entry to a city or an army camp, they will gain all the info about buildings in the city and it's garrison or unit composition of the army and the skill of it's possible general. If you can infiltrate the city you are attacking with a spy, the enemy will have no general's bonuses in the battle, and in the case the enemy has no general in the city, it's fortifications will be treated as being 1 lower. A spy will spot an enemy spy or an assassin if they are in the same region. Costs 50 gold, two turns.

Assassin: Assassins are a step up from spies. Not only can they attempt to assassinate diplomats, spies and other assassins if they have been spotted, mayors and even generals, they can also infiltrate into a city and attempt to burn down a building. Reconstruction of this building will take from one to two turns depending on the assassin's success and will cost 50% the amount the building costed to make in the first place. 80 gold, three turns.

Special Units: When the game starts, every player chooses one of these. They are an upgrade to one tier 2 military unit. Special units cannot flee. Special units can only be created in a player's capital, and only with the special 'Palace' building.

Spartans: Upgrade to Phalanxes, they're almost undefeatable head on. They're susceptible to crossbows, especially from behind, and also a flanking heavy cavalry charge, but no normal unit beats them head on without outnumbering them by a large amount. Costs 120, three turns.

Berserkers: Upgrade to swordsmen, they use certain herbs and drugs before battle to stop all fear and pain. They are mad from battle rage and will crash through enemy lines, ripping the enemy soldiers to shreds. A berserker charge negatively affects the morale of all units. Costs 130, three turns.

War Elephants: Upgrade to Heavy Cavalry, these massive beasts of war can rip through anything. Their charge lowers the morale of all units. They are the strongerst purely combat wise of the elite units, but they have a morale of 2, and if they lose it, they run amok, trampling everything on their path. If you win the battle, you'll recover a part of the amok elephants. If not, they're lost. Costs 150, three turns.

Longbowmen: Upgrade to Crossbowmen, these skilled archers can shoot volleys upon volleys of devastating fire upon the battlefield. They are also capable in close combat, proving a fair match against even light cavalry. Costs 130, three turns.

siege Units: Units that are only used in sieges.

Onager: Can be built by a siege engineer. This weakens the enemy fortifications and lessens the bonus the enemy gains. Costs 70, three turns.

Catapult: Upgrade to an onager, one of these removes 1 whole fortification level from the battle calculation. Costs 120, four turns.

Battering Ram: Constructed after starting a siege, this is the bare minimum with which you can attack a city. You need infantry to use it. Takes three turns.

Ladders: Constructed after starting a siege. Usable against walls from wooden to upward, infantry units carry them to the walls and climb up to fight on them. Takes one turn for one ladder, allowing one infantry unit access into the city.

Siege Towers: Constructed after starting a siege, requires a general of at least level 3 in the army. Upgrade to ladders, allows larger amounts of units to reach the walls and capture them, opening the gates for your troops. Takes 40 gold and four turns, allows five units of infantry safer passage into the city.

Diplomacy: The treaties you can do. Diplomatic proposals are sent to both the narrators and the receiving player. The agreement or disagreement with the proposal is also sent to the narrators as well as the player in question.

Diplomats: To do any of these things, one of the players must have a diplomat either in the same country as the other player's diplomat or in the same country as his king.

Free-form diplomacy: You can trade gold, ownership of units and countries if you wish, but you aren't allowed to support another player by obviously 'gifting' him all your stuff.

Trading rights: The two countries start trading. This adds 1 to the income of any bordering countries of the players.

Right of Passage: The armies of one player can pass through the lands of the other.

Peace Treaty: Stops a state of war. This treaty can be broken 2 turns after it has been made.

Ceasefire: Stops a state of war. Can be broken whenever.

Non-aggression Pact: While this treaty is active, cannot start a war with the other side. You can break the treaty, and then must wait 2 turns to be able to start a war.

Alliance: The armies of these two players can fight battles together, and even station inside each other's cities. This treaty cannot be broken until 4 turns after being made. Breaking it results in all armies of both sides being removed from each other's lands. You cannot start a war until 2 turns after breaking an alliance.

Battle Mechanics: About resolving battles.

Normal battles: When two opposing armies meet on the field, a battle will occur. First the narrator sends the participants a map of the battlefield. Both players then send a deployment order and battle-plan to the narrators, who will take this into account. The narrators will roll the dices, check the omens, compare the battle plans and most importantly compare the army sizes and composition and then they will decide the outcome.

Sieges: Sieges will give a bonus to the defending player, according to the fortification level he has. The attacker can use siege weapons to negate this advantage.

Generals: You can have a maximum of 3 generals. They have a command level depending on the amount of money you spent on them, and add a substantial bonus to your units as well as a +1 to their morale. They come with their own small heavy cavalry group, and if they die, your unit's morale is negatively affected.

Morale: Every unit has a morale stat. There are certain things that affect morale negatively, and if enough of these things happen to overcome the morale stat, the unit routs. Elite units cannot flee. Examples of such negative things are General dying or fleeing, fire arrows, being flanked, seeing a lot of friendly units die, elephants, heavy cavalry or berserkers charging etc. An unit with 2 morale can withstand two negative morale impacts, but the third makes them flee, unless they have a general in the army which gives them a bonus.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Whoah. TL;DR there. Sounds more complex than Civilization.

I think my particle physics werewolf simulation code is about done, just needs a sprinkle of pickle. I have no idea whether the code is really okay because this game is weird but I believe it is.
    #
    Murska 13 years ago
    You actually made that? Awesome!
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    So, who's in for another version? It'll probably have some rule changes to not make things too boring.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    So, who's in for another version? It'll probably have some rule changes to not make things too boring.
    So you're up for hosting? I'm in.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I'll be less boring this time.
    #
    Endymion 13 years ago
    When do we start?
    #
    speedblade 13 years ago
    I'm in!

"E_net4" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    So you're up for hosting? I'm in.

Typo Correction:
    "Amarth" said:
    So, who's in for another version? I'll probably have some rule changes to not make things too boring.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "speedblade" said:
    Typo Correction:
    "Amarth" said:
    So, who's in for another version? I'll probably have some rule changes to not make things too boring.
    That actually means Amarth is having his own rules changed, not the WW's.
    #
    Anarion 13 years ago
    I'm in.
    #
    Kario 13 years ago
    Don't forget about me! i'm in.
    SpeedBlade Looks like you'll finally get to be in the next WW and so quick!
    #
    Forum » Werewolf Setting - Discussion and Poll
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: