Register
Email: Password:
Forum » this game is way too difficult

this game is way too difficult

sharpnova 17 years ago
I'm going to give some constructive feedback.

-too difficult. when i started the game, i put it on easy and next thing I know I'm running around the map with 20 aliens following closely on my heels trying to kill me.. and having no clue where to find a stupid particle accelerator to make a weapon.. way too difficult.

-you hit the + key on the num-pad and a bunch of numbers appear in the lower left (debugging info or fps or something) and it SEVERELY slows gameplay and there is no way to turn it off without turning the game off and restarting it. absurd

-oftentimes, the mouse moves around eratically. sometimes it will move along the screen in the same direction my character is moving until it hits the edge of the screen

-you have to move your mouse RIGHT over an object to pick it up. there is practically no way to pick up an item WHILE walking by it. (it was this issue that caused me to quit the game)

in conclusion, the aliens need to move slower.. and need to stop pursuing you when you are a reasonable distance away.. and the graphics engine needs a lot of work.

no fanboy flamers please..

disagree/debate me to your heart's content, i'm open to feedback.

but if it's immature you're talking to a solid brick wall.
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
If you find that stuff difficult, then I suggest you learn some modding and mod the game to be easier.
#
Redemption 17 years ago
"sharpnova" said:
-you hit the + key on the num-pad and a bunch of numbers appear in the lower left (debugging info or fps or something) and it SEVERELY slows gameplay and there is no way to turn it off without turning the game off and restarting it. absurd
Press the - key on the numpad, the numbers stay but the game runs at normal speed.
#
Amarth 17 years ago
A difficult game does not make a bad game (NetHack), but with that said -- if you offer an easy mode, it damn better be easy, and Notrium's easy mode is indeed too hard. Or, rather... It's too uneven. Sometimes it seems a lot harder than other times, mainly influenced by what items you find and the aliens you attract the first few moments. I do agree that this is a problem, but if you try a couple of times, you'll get past it and a a certain point the game becomes loads of fun.

You might want to try another character, though. The Alien doesn't need complex items to kill, for example,.

I never had the mouse-moving thing, and I never heard about it either... Is this really unique to Notrium for you? Very strange thing, that is.

And I don't see the problem with needing to stop to pick up items. The things you might need in a hurry are usually big enough to pick up while walking by (mushrooms, plants, medkits). For the other items, well... You might want to review your strategy if you don't have the time to stop for 2 seconds to pick them up. I agree the game is kinda picky (har har) sometimes, but the text appearing/fading away when you take an item has always been enough of a hint for me.

The graphics engine was not made by Ville. It's the Grim 2D (?) engine, and about the only other game created with it that I know about is Crimsonland.

[EDIT]Oh, yeah, development on this game has halted, so... There's not much going to be done about it, I'm afraid.
#
sharpnova 17 years ago
Crimsonland kicks ass. One of my favorite games.

Thanks for the - tip btw.
#
Nuklearni-okurka 17 years ago
Well, i suggest something. If you are playing human or android, find your allys at hive(i don't know which but it will show you message i think).
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
"Nuklearni-okurka" said:
Well, i suggest something. If you are playing human or android, find your allys at hive(i don't know which but it will show you message i think).
Are you sure that's in the Vanilla Notrium? Sounds to me like something added in Werivar...
#
Nuklearni-okurka 17 years ago
I dunno. It is 2 humans and 2 turrets i think.
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
That's in the East Hive, which was added in Werivar. Wait... East? No, west... DAMN IT! The one on the left.

As for the game being way too hard on easy... I don't see how. Where did you go first? If you really don't want 20 aliens chasing you at once, you MUST stay out of the Hive, or at least run through it quickly. Are you sure you aren't playing on hard altogether? I never get chased by aliens THAT easily. I have to go to the hive and set off a weapon before so much as four follow me.
#
ahrenjb 17 years ago
I got the game, died a couple of times, became frustrated, decided to make the game work for me. I tinkered around before finding I oculd open the .dat's with notepad, then I was amazed at how easy this would be.

I gave the android a power capacity of 9999 with an auto power regen, health capacity practically unlimited with starting health of 1000, starts with a laser pistol. Doubled the pistols damage. Voila, game made easy.
#
There's an easier way to get God Mode, you know. Just remove the "Die if health is zero" script, and you'll be invincible.
#
ahrenjb 17 years ago

Amazing. This will come in handy. Especially in the expansion. Those Dire Reapers can be a pain.

Good thing I have my miraculous new weapon. Basically a laser pistol, with the rate of fire of a pulse laser, and the damage of a sniper pistol.
#
harwe 17 years ago
how..... ..... ..... .... yeah
#
"ahrenjb" said:
Amazing. This will come in handy. Especially in the expansion. Those Dire Reapers can be a pain.
I don't understand what you're referring to. Did you mean my god-mode cheat or the weapon you modded in?

By the way: Your times won't qualify for speedruns.
#
ahrenjb 17 years ago
You god mode cheat.

Another way you can do it is just add a script reverse of drain health, so you have an unbearably fast health regen. I stood in a swarm of dire reapers and my health never dropped below max.

Well, and the weapon. I had to make a ballistic version as well because in the Werivar mod eden creatures are invincible to energy damage.

Don't worry, I'm not going for speedruns just yet.
#
Elukka 16 years ago
If you find the game way too hard, try to be more cautious. Don't just run around everywhere, it won't be safe. There are lots of things more powerful than you that want to kill you.

Also, i found the alien quite easy to play with.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
Huh, yes.
But I don't think he will answer to that, this topic is 2 months old.
#
Elukka 16 years ago
Oh, so i did manage to do the most typical newbie mistake. Oh well, my excuse would be that i was tired as heck.

Well, hopefully the post may help someone else, as i've heard many people find the game too hard.
#
llabeno71 16 years ago
can someone tell me what i need to do to get god mode ( explain it as you would to a child ) and also how to turn it back of again when i have got a few important items
#
Aegis 16 years ago
Never fear! Modder Aegis is here!

1. To get the God mode cheat go to the main Notrium Directory (the big notrium folder thing with all the stuff in it)
2. Go to the data folder, then to the default folder.
3. Open the file called "scripts" (preferably as notepad)
4. The first thing you will see will say:
Player dies due to lack of health;//name
0;//identifier
1;//run without calling (set to 0 if you use the script for example as a wield script)
0;//call position, 0=player location, 1=mouse location
0;//calling creature 0=player, 1=creature nearest to the mouse, 2=player controlled creature
200;//run every n milliseconds
none;//message
0;//message type, 0=quick message, 1=journal
none;//sound, none for nothing
0;//delay script for n seconds after conditions met
1;//disabled after first use, 0=no, 1=yes
begin_conditions;
5;//condition
0.000000;//condition parameter0
0.100000;//condition parameter1
end_conditions;
begin_effects;
25;//effect number
3.000000;//parameter1
1.000000;//parameter2
0.000000;//parameter3
0.000000;//parameter4
end_effects;

This is bascially the coding which tells the game that you should die.
So get rid of it! (only the text I specified)

5. And, unfortunately, you can't turn off God mode. If you want me to, I could create a god mode item for you.
6. Then go to the dialogs file.
7.You will see this:
Pod computer mumble 1;//name
0;//identifier
System error!;//text
1000;//duration
-1;//next dialog line (-1=none)
1;//text color r
0;//text color g
0;//text color b
Pod computer mumble 2;//name
1;//identifier
Fire Hazard!;//text
1000;//duration
1;//text color r
0;//text color g
0;//text color b
Pod computer mumble 3;//name
2;//identifier
Warning!;//text
1000;//duration
1;//text color r
0;//text color g
0;//text color b

Change it to this:

Pod computer mumble 1;//name
0;//identifier
FAIL!;//text
1000;//duration
1;//text color r
0;//text color g
0;//text color b
Pod computer mumble 2;//name
1;//identifier
PANCAKES ARE GOOD FOR YOU!;//text
1000;//duration
1;//text color r
0;//text color g
0;//text color b
Pod computer mumble 3;//name
2;//identifier
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!;//text
1000;//duration
1;//text color r
0;//text color g
0;//text color b

For extra awesomeness.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
Steps 5, 6 and 7 are optional. I'd recommend you to back up the file before modifying it. Also, this question should be in another topic.
#
Aegis 16 years ago
Why should the question be in another topic? We went from:
Complaint to suggestion to solution to fanboy to gushing to suggestion to confirmation to confusion to confused explanation to solution to solution to exclaiming to confusion to question/confirmation to fact to solution to nostalgia to explanation to question to solution by me to complaint and help. As you can see it is directly related to the topic (I think). Steps 5, 6 and 7 if you want extra awesomeness.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
There is already a topic for questions about Notrium, see.
#
Aegis 16 years ago
Well this should be under another topic, then. But it was already here in the first place so by helping someone it made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Awwwwwww.
#
themados 16 years ago
if notriums to hard you could try using the editor to give a few weapons for your race i know this is old but it may help people and it shaw as hell helped me when i unlocked it
#
Corum 16 years ago
The game isn't that hard. Really. When I played notrium the first time, I also had problems, but when I've heard that even my ten year-old cousin can master it, I tried it again.

I think it is more satisfying for the people to master the game by themselves, instead of messing around with the editor.
That's why I'd like to give some hints for playing notrium the first time.

1.) Play the tutorial one or two times to get a feeling for the game. The psionic part is not needed. You learn your first combinations and the basics.

2.) Then play an alien. The assumption that a human is easier to play is rather natural but wrong. The human depends on various tool you aren't able to know when you play the game the first time.

3.) Read the journal (the J-key) for further information carefully. There are useful hints for the possible item combinations when picking up an item and important hints to the alien evolution.

4.) You can also read the combining thread, although it isn't needed.

5.) As an alien: don't waste wood when it is not necessary. Later, you will need it to build nests.

6.) Keep on moving. You need to find important items and food sources and it will not suffice to stay at the same place to survive.

7.) Don't attack everything. There are many enemies in notrium, and by fighting you usually lose life without gaining much. You need items and food, not death and action. Afterwards, you still can seek for action.
Enemies usually won't pursue you, but fighting will attract nearby enemies!
It is very often better to run than to fight.

8.) Notice that the game is divided into different areas! Some areas are quite dangerous. You shouldn't stay there for too long. But each area has its characteristics. Some items might only be found there!
You probably need to die and to reload several times before you learn that, but it is not so difficult.
#
E_net4 16 years ago
"Corum" said:
2.) Then play an alien. The assumption that a human is easier to play is rather natural but wrong. The human depends on various tool you aren't able to know when you play the game the first time.

3.) Read the journal (the J-key) for further information carefully. There are useful hints for the possible item combinations when picking up an item and important hints to the alien evolution.
Some comments:
2 - Actually, when I played the game for the first time (version 1.2) I thought the android was the better character, because it had a bigger battery and was more resistant. But I was wrong, since the battery consumption can be quite annoying. Indeed, the alien requires less advanced features to survive.
3 - Also, they can show an interesting story while you play.

OT: Yay, rocket.
#
Kaizer 15 years ago
Yeah, the game isnt very hard, the first time i played it was with the alien (see the "razor claws" on a character make me frenzy! ) and in easy, i played first the tutorial, and the climatic conditions look very dangerous, so i decided to play without them, but it was pretty easy, so i played in hard, but now i knowed a lot of combinations and stuff, so it wasnt very hard, my hint:

Play with a easy character in easy, if you are fast with the keys, use the alien, if you have good aim and eye (to see the items) use the human, is a litle hard but you can survive if you take good decitions, with your first play you will learn a lot of combinations (vitals to the other difficults) and how is the planet, is best to discover them in a big difficult, but if you cant play in medium (is very hard if you dont know the game) do that
#
themados 15 years ago
"Aegis" said:

5. And, unfortunately, you can't turn off God mode.
that is a lie if you want to be able to turn it back on just replace it with a backup. or just copy paste the stuff you deleted back in
#
Narvius 15 years ago
That's not turning it off, it's undoing it.
#
Murska 15 years ago
Well, technically, you haven't even turned god mode ON, but instead removed death.
#
MageKing17 15 years ago
"Murska" said:
Well, technically, you haven't even turned god mode ON, but instead removed death.
This man speaks truth.

There's a simple solution to the complaint, anyway... cheats aren't considered a part of the game. Especially when said cheat involves directly removing a part of the game.
#
Forum » this game is way too difficult

Your email:
Your name: