Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

Narvius 10 years ago
    In unrelated news, I've been playing a lot of the Scrolls beta.
    It's a pretty cool game. Despite having played over a hundred matches, I still get killed by some interesting combo I didn't consider; there aren't that many cards right now, and a fourth faction is soon incoming (aka missing right now), but the game is already very much playable and fun.
    #
    Anonymous1157 10 years ago
    I'ma just hop onto my favorite news site over here and--

*Sees article*

... Whoa.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    http://tiggit.net/
    Heh, interesting.
    #
    Vacuus 10 years ago
    Unsure if this has been mentioned, but the only "game" worth playing (except Driftmoon of course): http://www.ingress.com/
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Calling Ingress a game is nearly correct. Although it "alienates" the player as much, other people actually see your "alienation" in the form of:
    - wandering the streets while looking at a mobile device;
    - going to some random spot for a few seconds and then just turning back;
    - performing several turns in a round-about while on a vehicle.

So yeah, fun...
    #
    MageKing17 10 years ago
    So, Saints Row IV came out.

I, uh, I am seriously loving the hell out of it.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    I played SR3 before, and I kinda, uh... couldn't get into it. I dunno why. I technically should like semi-open-world bashing-in-heads-with-dildos simulations.
    #
    Pete 10 years ago
    So with a little help from the Lazy Newb pack Ive finally managed to penetrate the mess that is the Dwarf Fortress interface and run a succesfull fortress.

Its uh, kind of boring. Drawbridges are OP. Even a fortress-wide tantrum spiral didnt manage to do anything except reduce the population back to sane levels. Ive got a dragon locked in a cage somewhere in the sub-levels and nothing to throw him at.

...next time Ill embark on an evil biome, I suppose.
    #
    I've played Dwarf Fortress without any mods, using only the wiki to learn about the game world. (The interface actually works well for me. No, I couldn't tell you for the life of me why I like it when nigh everyone hates it.) I could bootstrap a new fortress all right, but it's just so much damned effort to get a fortress in a decent state when you've only just started playing that I got turned off. I think I'd like to try again, though.

Right now, my go-to game when I just want to play something is OpenTTD, and I've gotten too good at it. The AI doesn't know how to profit on the barren maps that make the game interesting for me. Hell, I actually lost once the first time I turned on infrastructure maintenance.

Once. S'been peachy e'er since.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    I've been mostly playing two games recently: Emacs and Minecraft.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Narvius said:
    I've been mostly playing two games recently: Emacs and Minecraft.
    Simply ignoring why you call Emacs a game, I'd rather point out that I'm freaking tired of death falls in the Nether...

... DUDE, I had some rare loot with me. D:
    #
    E_net4 said:
    Simply ignoring why you call Emacs a game...
    If what I've been reading is correct, given enough plugins, you can read email, control music players, play Tetris, browse the Internet, edit Word/Writer documents, and other things, and you need never leave Emacs. I'd try it, but it might be easier to just keep using Vim.

Anyhow, do you guys play Minecraft with mods?

Lately, I've been using a handful of mods that just add convenience or make passive changes rather than modify the game world. You know, MAtmos, Rei's Minimap, Not Enough Items (Recipe mode only, I don't cheat), Inventory Tweaks, friggin' Optifine... The only exception is MCA because screw Squidward. Conveniently, I haven't found a single village, so I dunno what it's like.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Not really, we play Minecraft vanilla-flavoured, and it feels good enough as it is. Even with the eventual rage quits and the like...

I found a village once, in version 1.5-ish (this, after having my mind set on finding one and traversing several kilometres by land and sea). There are a few cool things about it: pre-made farms ; trade with the villagers ; expand the village so it can have more villagers.

P.S.: Then calling Emacs a game would be like calling any OS a game, because games run on top of them.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    Right, Emacs is actually a collection of fun games, like find-the-parsing-code-bug, get-the-compiling-process-to-work and more!

And that fall was random as hell. There was just a single hole in the ground. :O

Also, technically, Emacs is a Lisp engine - the text editor thing is only incidental. Though I don't how that makes it more or less of a game.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought Emacs was a game. Actually, most of my real-life friends don't know much about Linux and related FOSS, so I was trying to explain what it was.

... Anyhow, my little brother is a trusted-whatever on some big Minecraft server network. I, on the other hand, would rather not play online on a public server, because there's a tendency to build far away from other players to avoid griefers if the server is vanilla. It's effectively singleplayer on a server, the way I see it, and if I'm going to have to play like that, I'd rather just play singleplayer in the first place. (That, and it's trouble to find a server I might possibly want to play on.)
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    ... Anyhow, my little brother is a trusted-whatever on some big Minecraft server network. I, on the other hand, would rather not play online on a public server, because there's a tendency to build far away from other players to avoid griefers if the server is vanilla. It's effectively singleplayer on a server, the way I see it, and if I'm going to have to play like that, I'd rather just play singleplayer in the first place. (That, and it's trouble to find a server I might possibly want to play on.)
    How about gathering around some friends to play together? You know... friends...

And that fall was random as hell. There was just a single hole in the ground. :O
    Indeed. But surprise, I didn't even mean that situation, but another one that happened on my singleplayer save that made me lose about 30 levels and a full inventory, including an ultra-rare wither skeleton skull!
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    We have a Wither skull on the server. That said, we need to play some more soon. :]

Anon: We play on a server that runs on my lappy.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    NeoGangster 10 years ago
    I "recently"(a few months ago) started to play Minecraft with the Tekkit and the Feed the Beast modpack. I like how much stuff they added. it feels like a new game. But I found it quite difficult to get into.
    #
    Really? I used to play Tekkit Lite, back when it was still under active development. I took to it really well. (It might help that I played IC2 by itself first before finding out about Technic ad friends. Sorta makes it less overwhelming.)

I've thought about playing Feed The Beast, but haven't gotten around to it. I actually tried out Voltz "recently". Unfortunately, most of the Universal Electricity content is too end-game for me to have gotten to play with it at the time. That, and the ICBM stuff is probably less useful on singleplayer.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    On another subject, I got so hooked to Driftmoon that yesterday I kept playing until 2 am. And oh boy, it's wonderful!
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    Yeah, I finished Driftmoon almost in two sittings. It's pretty cool. :]
    #
    Anne 10 years ago
    Thanks guys! Awesome to hear you're enjoying Driftmoon.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    So to anyone who didn't try out Crystal Pixels (a prototype game made by the same guy who made Noctis), consider doing so now. Cryxtels was successfully ported to modern systems, which discards the need to use DosBox!
    Link

...[/ShamelessSelfPromotion]

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 10 years ago
    I just backed Star Citizen. I thought I'd done so before, actually, but then discovered a complete and total lack of any reference to any such thing in my email history (and I clearly didn't already have an account with them).
    #
    Amarth 10 years ago
    Re: Crystal Pixels: Wow. That seems quite a project. Congrats!
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Amarth said:
    Re: Crystal Pixels: Wow. That seems quite a project. Congrats!
    Thanks. Dealing with legacy code sure was a fine new experience. Now the greatest issue I'm facing right now, believe it or not, is to compile it for Windows. The code should work, perhaps with slight changes to the open() functions, but I failed to both cross-compile from Linux and compile from Windows itself due to issues in MinGW. Regardless of that, there're a few more details about the reborn Cryxtels in my blog.
    People are actually more desperate for a modern Noctis, though. But that would be a harder fish to catch.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 10 years ago
    Terraria 1.2 is out! Looking very cool so far.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Audiosurf 2, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! :OOOOODDDD
    Edited 10 years ago
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    Wasn't that supposed to be, like, Audiosurf Air?
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Narvius said:
    Wasn't that supposed to be, like, Audiosurf Air?
    Yeah, I've seen some complaints around that. Apparently, they changed their minds.
    #
    Endymion 10 years ago
    The notonsteam.com sale is cool, it has lots of interesting games like Tower of Guns, Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages and The Yawhg.
    #
    Murska 10 years ago
    Speaking of games not on Steam, Solium Infernum. We really should play that together.
    #
    Amarth 10 years ago
    Yes! We should!
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    Wasn't that that hell politics game?
    (googling confirmed that yes.)
    #
    Murska 10 years ago
    I've got it. Go buy it and I'll host a PBEM game.
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: