Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

Xeblit 17 years ago
    Cave Story

'nuff said
    (I was about to link Notrium as well, Haha, Xeblit you idiot)
    #
    ahrenjb 17 years ago
    Hmm, just started playing Transcendence! It's a great game, but I have screwed up in several different ways that has made me restart the game several times.

First I started with a lame ship (I've now decided the freighter is best)

Then I saved right before running out of fuel

Then, farthest ever at this point, with a Hanzo Blaster and a 500MW reactor, Heavy orthosteel armor, and a 120HP shield with good regen boosted to 144HP. Along with over 100,000,000 in the bank, I made the mistake of blowing up a corporate center because it angered me. Then this corporate enforcer shows up, I destroyed it then went into the next system. Dumb. It autosaves when you go through a gate, so when I next docked I was arrested.

I really need to find a way of hacking the game, if it was only as easy as Notrium.
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    WHAT You can buy ships in that game, I never could, I must have an old version...VERY OLD ALPHA version.
    #
    harwe 17 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:
    I really need to find a way of hacking the game, if it was only as easy as Notrium.
    Its java, i think, go and disassemble it, if you cant read java, then learn it
    #
    ahrenjb 17 years ago
    No, you cannot buy ships in the game, however there are 3 choices as to what ship you start out with.
    #
    Solus Lupus 17 years ago
    ...Still that is not in the version I have...Thank you.
    #
    Vacuus 17 years ago
    Transcendence is great. Then again, so is Anacreon.
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    "Vacuus" said:
    Transcendence is great. Then again, so is Anacreon.
    Meh, I didn't find Anacreon all that good. I got kinda bored with it. Tho I'll admit I'm not very good at that sort of game anyway.
    #
    ahrenjb 17 years ago
    Well I've figured out how to mod Transcendence. Mods are made by setting up an XML file which you stick in the extensions folder. I'm working on a completely new player ship. And insanely overpowered one. I'm having some troubles but the community is helpful. I'll let you know when its done if anyone is interested.

EDIT: I've started getting into flight sims lately as well. A couple good freeware ones I've discovered are YSFlightsim and FlightGear.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:
    Well I've figured out how to mod Transcendence. Mods are made by setting up an XML file which you stick in the extensions folder.
    Oolite works much the same way. I like Oolite... great little Elite clone.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    I had thought about creating a new thread, but I'll just post it here instead. It seems like the new game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is as close as we'll get to a 3d Notrium for a while and a real good place holder till Bioshock comes out. I honestly can't run the game myself, but it seems to be getting plenty of positive feedback on the net. It's heavily grounded in realism (ballistics especially are very realistic and require a great deal of skill to use weapons properly). This isn't a free or cheap game, and if you guys want I'll remove this post and give it it's own thread.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    I had thought about creating a new thread, but I'll just post it here instead. It seems like the new game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is as close as we'll get to a 3d Notrium for a while and a real good place holder till Bioshock comes out. I honestly can't run the game myself, but it seems to be getting plenty of positive feedback on the net. It's heavily grounded in realism (ballistics especially are very realistic and require a great deal of skill to use weapons properly). This isn't a free or cheap game, and if you guys want I'll remove this post and give it it's own thread.

STALKER (Yes, i AM tired tired of adding the dotterzorz) is a god in it's own right, Notrium seems to be more of a sci-fi survival game, STALKER is a FPS. Genre-revolutionizing, perhaps, but still a FPS.
    #
    NeoGangster 16 years ago
    In my opinion STALKER is just an average game.
    -All Endings just suck
    -so many bugs with side-missions
    -bugs in the AI so that enemys just ignore you
    -Pretty hard start(although if you played the game you notice how easy it actually can be >_>
    -RPG features look so unfinished, you miss interaction possibilities with NPCs, The Traders are pretty much useless as they never have something usefull except food and sometimes the ammo you actually use(and that makes money useless too, as you will end the game with like a 1 billion Ru and nothing you could spend them)
    -the story gets interessting in the middle of the game but at the start and the end sucks, espacially the end -_-
    -50 kg limit sucks and there is no way you could change that limit
    -weapon mods were a nice idea but you need so much luck to get your hands on a scope, but no possibility to make a fast shooting ak (or sth similar) yourself

Besides this the AI actually is something I liked, most of the time they acted pretty intelligent, the graphic is nice too, the anomalies and artifacts were nice too (I really liked to pass a few anomalies to get an artifact ^^ , what sucked is when there is bag or something after 10 anomalies and it's empty -_-)

The game looks so unfinished, so much unused potential it's just depressing, they better had worked a few years more on it -_-
    #
    Zombie 16 years ago
    50 kg (110 lbs) is heavy, you know? At least to be continually carrying about.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Most games really allow you to carry way too much stuff. You try running with 50 kg worth of gear on you.
    #
    Zombie 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Most games really allow you to carry way too much stuff. You try running with 50 kg worth of gear on you.

Agreed, per my comment above. ;P
    #
    ahrenjb 16 years ago
    Games where you can carry every weapon you touched from level 1 are lame. I mean, 50 weapons + 800 rounds for each one?

Red Faction was ridiculous in that manner.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:
    So is Half-life, Half life 2, Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Generic FPS # 179, Deus Ex, System shock, System shock 2...

And we still play them.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Point being, Stalker is a realistic adventure/FPS. Not a pureblood FPS game like Doom (Yes, i -still- use Doom as the basis for a FPS game), therefore we can't really compare the two.

Stalker is also based on a book. So basically, it's supposed to be more about Ground Zero and the storyline than anything else. It's basically an adventure game with shooting to not bore the stuff between the adventuring. But instead of making an adventure game with FPS features, the creators made an FPS game with adventure game features. Well, i'm not saying that's how they came to the idea, just that that's one way of doing it.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago
    "Pete" said:
    "ahrenjb" said:
    Half life 2

The weapon management was A LOT more restricted then it was in HL1. You couldn't grab 100 something shells for shottys now, only about 32 I believe.

Counter Strike at the least was more realistic, since you were allowed to carry only primary, secondary, knife, and nades one at a time (for all of you playing CS, nades is an obvious exception.

...And about the Red Faction, I think that game was total pure linear crap. Nothing to do except blast that shit in security guards or mercenaries' face over and over again.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    "Madgamer" said:
    "Pete" said:
    "ahrenjb" said:
    Half life 2

The weapon management was A LOT more restricted then it was in HL1. You couldn't grab 100 something shells for shottys now, only about 32 I believe.

Counter Strike at the least was more realistic, since you were allowed to carry only primary, secondary, knife, and nades one at a time (for all of you playing CS, nades is an obvious exception.

...And about the Red Faction, I think that game was total pure linear crap. Nothing to do except blast that [censored] in security guards or mercenaries' face over and over again.

Thats why I left CS out... and I dunno bout you, but for me being able to carry five rifles or so at one seems unrealistic enough to make it to the list.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Lets stop talking realism, here.

Logic seems to be more appropriate when it comes to computer games.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Lets stop talking realism, here.

Logic seems to be more appropriate when it comes to computer games.
    No, I think gameplay is the most important point of discussion.

;P
    #
    Zombie 16 years ago
    In HL2 and HL1 you are in a HEV suit. One of its functions is to increase the user's strength to be able to carry tools and such for whatever task they are doing. It is fully realistic that the full body suit of the HEV is capable of storing (back-mounted weapon hooks? modular belt?) and assisting in (or taking over) the carrying of multiple weapons.

If you paid attention and you would have thought of that.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    "Zombie" said:
    In HL2 and HL1 you are in a HEV suit. One of its functions is to increase the user's strength to be able to carry tools and such for whatever task they are doing. It is fully realistic that the full body suit of the HEV is capable of storing (back-mounted weapon hooks? modular belt?) and assisting in (or taking over) the carrying of multiple weapons.

If you paid attention and you would have thought of that.
    ... I never cared. I realized that just now.

As for gameplay... what gameplay? If you want gameplay, go back to 1985. Today's games are basically tech demos that hold your attention for a short while, save a couple good ones like the Valve games. And Geometry Wars. Maybe a few more. I don't know, it's just that there's no actual thinking while you play these things, just reflexes. IIRC the N64 died because it had good gameplay, but the Playstation had better graphics.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    As for gameplay... what gameplay? If you want gameplay, go back to 1985. Today's games are basically tech demos that hold your attention for a short while, save a couple good ones like the Valve games. And Geometry Wars. Maybe a few more. I don't know, it's just that there's no actual thinking while you play these things, just reflexes. IIRC the N64 died because it had good gameplay, but the Playstation had better graphics.
    Bulls**t.
    #
    Madgamer 16 years ago
    Ah yes, graphic; one thing to rule them all...

...NOT.

I'm not sure if PS 1 pwns over N64 in graphics but I do know that older games definitely were original. Take Super Mario RPG from SNES for an example. It has some of the most classy quotes such as about why toad didn't kill the purple dino right off the bat just because he didn't have a RPG at the time; no, it doesn't have anything to do with the title.

Now take Lufia II, another game from SNES, which had a very unique combat and dungeon system. Enemies in dungeons only move if you move and you had a 'rage' meter which you could use with your weapon to kick the random encountered ass.

Then Gunstar Heroes, everybody who played it just loved this game and if you don't I'll maul you and rip your organs off while beating them up into bloody pulps. However, this one might've been due to poor commercial >.>;;

Also, Paper Mario, I believe, originated from N64 then went into another big gaming console such as PS 1. I'm completely guessing on this one but most of the time my stuffs are guessworks.

And here we have a PC game that started it all, Wolfeinstein 3D. This is the beginning of the beginnings... 'cept that Doom ripped the idea and made more weapons, more gores, and more enemies.

Tell ya what, most of the modern games these days don't even HAVE originality on them; the developers just love to pirate some older games and rip their idea off of it. It's hard to find such good ol' games like that these days.

Not to mention while not breaking your hardware limits
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    any good RPG/FPS hybrids these days? im looking for them... I have a couple.... System Shock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex 2, Deus Ex: the Invisible War
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    I dont like Deus ex invisible war... it looks too much funky and they removed all the things I liked (like loads of augmentatios, skills, different kinds of ammunition... HACKING WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE A BIOMOD...)
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "harwe" said:
    Deus Ex 2, Deus Ex: the Invisible War
    Deus Ex 2 is Deus Ex: The Invisible War.

And it STILL sucks.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "harwe" said:
    Deus Ex 2, Deus Ex: the Invisible War
    Deus Ex 2 is Deus Ex: The Invisible War.

And it STILL sucks.
    QFT.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    Have you tried Doom? There are alternatives to buying it, you know. Namely, FreeDoom and ZDoom. And, if you look in the right places, you can rip slightly-modified versions of the original sprites and graphics off of other WADs and end up with a WAD that looks like Vanilla Doom!

I do everything to avoid buying these things.
    #
    Barebones 16 years ago
    Vampire: Bloodlines isn't too bad as far as FPS/RPGs go. It's got more bugs than Morrowind however, and thats saying something.
    #
    Zombie 16 years ago
    "Madgamer" said:
    Tell ya what, most of the modern games these days don't even HAVE originality on them; the developers just love to pirate some older games and rip their idea off of it. It's hard to find such good ol' games like that these days.

For the PS2 look no further than God of War. Greek mythology made into something that has done what only one other game can make me do: Openly gape at the screen.

GoW leaves me speechless. Honestly. The only major problem in the entire games is that the cutscenes are unskippable. Yes, they are important but when you've already beat the game once it would be nice to be able to skip the cutscenes.

GoW is an awesome (and I truly mean awe inspiring) blend of action and adventure. It has clever and tricky puzzles and traps. It is beautiful in both appearance and story. It's one of the most satisfyingly fun games with very good gameplay that I have played.

If you haven't played it, don't even try to argue with me about it. Unless you have actually played through a bit of the first game, then keep your mouth clean of criticism on this topic. Seriously. Yes, not being able to skip cutscenes sucks majorly, but the cutscenes are not bad. They are very good and well made. Gameplay also flows nearly seamlessly between action sequences, normal fighting, and most cutscenes.

Again: I know unskippable cutscenes suck majorly. Leave it be. This is also the only major problem I have with GoW.

Also, Lumines for the PSP? That's a good game, too. Really good. Ultra-Tetris with great music!

For just plain fun games, check out Atlas's lineup. I love all of their games. Even their worst game is fun.

The problem I see here is that you are starting to think inverse of the graphics monkeys. You're starting to associate less graphic quality with more gameplay quality, it seems. Just like how a graphics monkey will say more graphic quality has more gameplay quality. It's a matter of preference. Games, just like any other art or form of creative expression, comes in different sizes, shapes, and flavours for different tastes. You might like Rembrandt, I might like Van Gogh. You might think Britney Spears is hot, I might vomit at the sight of her. You might like the Bloodhound Gang, I might like Beethoven. It's a matter of choice.

I agree, however, that the market is becoming stagnant for truly good games. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, however, and it doesn't mean they don't require some work or frustration. Here's an example for STALKER... I like STALKER, I really do. It's just that I die... but there is no autosave. So I lose all my progress because I don't take two minutes to save every five minutes. Even good games like STALKER have a downfall. They all have their ups and downs. It's just a matter of having the will and the drive to keep looking through the mounds, clusters, and hives of horrible games so you can find that one game that really makes you smile... or openly gape at your screen.

Want more examples of games that prove my, "It's all a matter of taste" theory? I have a bunch ready. Here we go:
    [list]Counterstrike
    Katamari Damacy
    LocoRoco
    Steambot Chronicles (Atlas)
    Metal Saga (Atlas)
    Radiata Stories
    Dark Cloud
    Pikmin
    Gitaroo Man
    Grand Theft Auto[/list:u]

Note how these all are (mostly) games that you either have heard little of (probably in case of the two Atlas games) or games that you tend to either hear "love or hate" remarks about.

Games are like any other artform. It is most akin to poetry, however. Some developers seem to have that mindset that their games HAVE to be graphically stunning, even at the cost of gameplay. This is just like how some people seem to think that poetry NEEDS to rhyme, even if it makes no sense or just plain sucks.

Seriously, grow up and share the games you like. Don't bash games just because you don't like them. I might not like mainstream rap, but that doesn't mean I go around saying it sucks and going into details about why. I focus on the positive so I can continue to see the positive. Try to do the same when it comes to your entertainment medium of choice.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    You know what?

D&D.

It doesn't even HAVE graphics, and yet it provides a really good gameplay experience. You never feel like your LOCKED in battle, there's always a million things you can do. And considering it's D&D, the number of things you can do is literally a number that reaches into 3 digits. It's flexible. I played GuildWars one day again... and it's just not the same. There's no real fighting, you just pick an enemy and press spacebar to attack it. Then, if the monster is stronger than you (and your group), you die. If not, you win. There isn't much you can do, maybe a little target prioritizing, maybe try to stop a few more heal spells, but that helps very little. However, in D&D, Shingo cast a little spell here and a little spell there and a fight that was potentially dangerous enough to end our adventure, was suddenly decimated and burnt to the ground. Our entire group took a total of 3 hits.

... if that's not flexible enough for you, i don't know what is.
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: