Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I'll go for Miles Edgeworths Game or Metroid Other M instead. :> I can always buy Portal 2 later.
    The Edgeworth game is awesome. It's as completely, ridiculously over-the-top as you'd expect, and fun to boot. Just finished the third case (out of five) and am loving it.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Eh, lucky you, I still need to wait some time until it arrives in this... mildly retarded (as in, time retarded.) country.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Puzzle Quest is kinda awesome :>

...I kinda suck at it, though...
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    I got a Halo Xbox.

... THEN I found out that I absolutely need a modchip to do what I was going to do with it. Oh well, at lease I already had some of the games I wanted to play.
    #
    Vacuus 13 years ago
    Anyone else playing Mount and Blade: Warband yet?
    #
    LunaticNeko 13 years ago
    "Vacuus" said:
    Anyone else playing Mount and Blade: Warband yet?
    Me. What's going on?
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I'm currently playing Stalker:SoC with the Stalker Complete 2009 mod (which, generally, is a complete graphics overhaul + rebalancing + some minor stuff added + ALife fixes + general fixes + awesomeness ~ only 660MB :>.

The atmosphere is effing great. Especially the labs are cree-, frightening. The rundown-ness of everything, the fact that your weapons go poof and all that stuff. Running out of ammo when surrounded by mindless-ified stalkers and running up to them - through their (somewhat unaccurate) gunfire - to knife them to (another) death. Even all that psi-mindraping stuff is done in a way that makes it seem realistic.

I couldn't appreciate this gem of pure awesome two years ago, and I regret it. At least I've rediscovered it now.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    MekPak 3.1 is out.
    #
    Pete 13 years ago
    Funny thing, I just finished Stalker SOC myself.

On master difficulty.

Using a touchpad.

That shouldnt have been fun. My quickload key will never be the same, but I sure do wish there were more games like that.
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    I heard a while back that MW4 is supposed to be re-released for free at some point. Has such a thing occurred yet, and if so, where do I get it?
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I heard a while back that MW4 is supposed to be re-released for free at some point. Has such a thing occurred yet, and if so, where do I get it?
    No, they're still waiting for final go-ahead from Microsoft (legal problems). MekPak 3.1 is everything that will be in the free release, just with the CD-check intact.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Just posted on TIGSource, but it deserves all the recognition it can get...

Ceramic shooter: Electronic Poem

Like ceramic shooter, you play a vertical shooter (think Tyrian) but the point is to *not* destroy things. Destroy too many things and it's game over. Next to that, the game is synchronized to music and, and this is most important, it tells a story in a really wonderful way, out of the game elements. It gets pretty hard so if you can't complete it, at least take a look at a youtube playthrough. But I urge you to try it yourself first.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    One guy called it an acid trip without acid.

I agree.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I managed to get The Longest Journey to run, despite massive graphics fuckups!
    Ah, the magic of changing one seemingly meaningless number in a well-hidden ini file...
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Nice. Enjoy.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I do. I never really was into adventure games, but this is just awesome, yay.
    #
    ville 13 years ago
    The Longest Journey is definitely one of my favourites. I loved the way they had a scifi setting and a fantasy setting and it all worked seamlessly. I haven't played the sequels yet though, wonder if I should...
    #
    Grim Reaper 13 years ago
    "ville" said:
    The Longest Journey is definitely one of my favourites. I loved the way they had a scifi setting and a fantasy setting and it all worked seamlessly. I haven't played the sequels yet though, wonder if I should...
    Sadly, there's only one sequel out (for now); Dreamfall. The next game(s) in the TLJ franchise would be the Dreamfall Chapters, something which isn't currently under development due to FunCom having the dev team work on their new MMO, "The Secret World".

In other news, Trine is now on sale in Steam for 5€!
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    And in more news, Outcast was released on gog.com. If there is one game that can be labeled "you haven't played it but you should", then it's probably Outcast.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    MechWarrior 4 Free Release finally given "go ahead" by MicroSoft Legal. Keep your eyes peeled for MW4 Free to go up on MTX.
    #
    ahrenjb 13 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    We've got another convert! I should update that game... if I wasn't having driver issues again...

Yep. I bought GMOD 10 on a whim and it was more than worth it, especially with all the Fretta stuff that's coming out now. Absolutely fantastic. My Steam username is ahrenjb if anyone cares to add it.

Stalker: SoC and Clear Sky were both phenomenal. Well, until my Clear Sky somehow corrupted and made all my save files worthless. I'll be doing a reinstall and adding the appropriate mods eventually.

Had a good run going in both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, but for some reason neither held my attention long enough to get more than about 2/3 through ME2 and 1/3 through Dragon Age.

Finally got around to playing HL2:EP2. Found it far more enjoyable than EP1. They managed to not make the overall plot ANY clearer though.

Discovered another fun but unfortunately shallow game, EpochStar. It's got me wanting to play Transcendence again. Transcendence has called me back nearly as many times as EV Nova, and I was compelled to donate to the man behind it. Speaking of space games, I got a Saitek Cyborg Evo and it has breathed new life into X3:TC. Those M3 class heavy fighters can lay on a world of hurt. Flight Sim X is also enjoyable.

Finally, I'm only a little ashamed to admit I gave in to ultimate nostalgia temptation with the release of the latest couple Pokemon rehashes. Nabbed a DS Lite off some guy on Craigslist for dirt cheap, but not that I have had a chance to evaluate the platform first hand and look at whats out there for it, I'm a bit disappointed. It got me thinking, why ISN'T there a Transcendence like game for the DS? Or for that matter, Notrium? Notrium would work superbly on the DS I have a feeling. So why are there only 8 million JRPGs, GBA/PS1 games ported over, and Cooking Mama? I'm getting an Acekard for some sweet homebrew action. I think it'll make a nice eReader, and the VNC client out there for DS looks quite interesting.

I guess that's it for the latest edition of my gaming chronicles.
    #
    "ahrenjb" said:
    Finally, I'm only a little ashamed to admit I gave in to ultimate nostalgia temptation with the release of the latest couple Pokemon rehashes. Nabbed a DS Lite off some guy on Craigslist for dirt cheap, but not that I have had a chance to evaluate the platform first hand and look at whats out there for it, I'm a bit disappointed. It got me thinking, why ISN'T there a Transcendence like game for the DS? Or for that matter, Notrium? Notrium would work superbly on the DS I have a feeling. So why are there only 8 million JRPGs, GBA/PS1 games ported over, and Cooking Mama?
    Nintendorks have big, stupid doo-doo heads. And let's not forget, Nintendo spends its time and effort releasing Wii Homebrew-destroying updates, so there isn't time to release quality games.

Then there's the obvious "Why go for the most underpowered console when we can use the PS3 and basically never run out of anything?" I have a hunch that that's killed quite a few games we'll never know about.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Big pay-what-you-want action going on to help charity. Give what you want for a bundle of 5 top-class indie games, and split the money between charity and the developers.

Games in the bundle:
    * World of Goo
    * Aquaria
    * Gish
    * Lugaru
    * Penumbra: overture

Worth it even if you only miss a single game in the bundle IMO.

The humble indie bundle. Go get it!

[EDIT] all the games are also cross-platform BTW, Windows, Mac and Linux compatible!
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Also, humble indie bundle supposedly generated $144.000 during the first day.
    Either the amount of willing to pay people in the indie community is bigger than I thought, or some people wanted to
    give big stuff to charity anyways and the free games they'd get were the last push.
    Or people want to support this business model (as far as I remember World of Goo did it once, and it was a success).
    Or, or, or.

[Edit]
    There are stats.
    The highest contribution was $500 oO
    That's waaaaay less than I thought.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    Also, humble indie bundle supposedly generated $144.000 during the first day.
    If you're going to be discussing dollars, using the period as the thousands separator is very confusing.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Periods are the only correct thousands seperators, EVER. xD

(no, seriously. I hate it when people use commata. Even if it's correct.)
    #
    "Narvius" said:
    Periods are the only correct thousands seperators, EVER. xD

(no, seriously. I hate it when people use commata. Even if it's correct.)
    You COULD use a k to denote thousands. I do it all the time, and it works just fine.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    The Finnish use spaces. Very sensible, easy to read, hard to confuse.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Also, apostrophes?
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Also, apostrophes?
    WHAT.
    Never saw that -> $144'000.
    Nah, don't like.
    But spaces make sense, right.

So, BACK TO (the previous) TOPIC.
    It supposedly generated $144 000 in the first day.

"Anonymous1157" said:
    You COULD use a k to denote thousands. I do it all the time, and it works just fine.
    I once played OGame (you know, the first big, successful browsergame) when it still was young, and the people there on
    the forums used for example 32kkk to denote 32 000 000 000. Amusing.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Well, I think the stats are very illuminating. Almost 50 000 people have donated right now, which to me sounds like a whole damn lot. And only about half of them uses Windows, 25% mac and 25% Linux. I find that interesting...
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Hero Core.
    Go play it.

Free, black-white Metroidvania (or, as *some* people call it, Castleroid ;P) where you can fly with interesting bosses and stuff.
    Awesome, it is, mmmmh, yes.

[Edit]
    I just finished it in less than an hour (59 minutes, 31 seconds // 100% completition).
    But that was the lowest difficulty. Hard and Nightmarish (or however it's called, I think Annihilsomething) supposedly have not only harder enemies, but extra content - a different map, extra sidequest.
    So, at least two more hours, but almost certainly more.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Hero Core - now in a post with 100% more linkage.

I finished easy mode in 2 hours. Hard mode seems doable, the other one I'm not so sure.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    <spam><nitpick>I'm pretty sure 100% more if the base value is 0 still equals 0.</nitpick></spam>

Okay, so hard is pretty hard, I guess.
    Especially some of the later energy generators, certain bosses and high-end regular enemies.

I'm almost through, though.
    But I need some sleep, so it'll have to wait 'till tomorrow..
    Good night
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    <spam><nitpick>I'm pretty sure 100% more if the base value is 0 still equals 0.</nitpick></spam>
    Yes... his post had infinitely more linkage than yours.

32kkk to mean 32 000 000 000? How silly. It's obviously 32 Gs.
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: