Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

Pete 13 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    Magicka: Vietnam
    What the crap... no one expects Vietnam in such a game!
    To the contrary! I mean, this is Magicka were talking about here!
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    Has anyone, by any chance heard anything about dynamic difficulty in Skyrim? I just started playing Oblivion again (and actually played beyond level 3 this time) and while I still maintain that Cyrodiil is boring, the dynamic difficulty simply enough breaks the game.

I mean, it levels up both enemies and loot. FFS, there is no incentive to level because it makes your character weaker and there's no incentive to explore because that chest with the Very Hard lock that you reached through the lava pits, the spike traps and the rhythmically rising towers of flame will still contain a clay pitcher and two spoons.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    ...I mean, it levels up both enemies and loot. ...
    then later
    "Crazy" said:
    ...that chest ... will still contain a clay pitcher and two spoons.
    Wait, isn't that a contradiction? If it'd level up both enemies and loot that chest should contain, like, feather-enchanted daedric armor, or, LOL, anyway...
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Wait, isn't that a contradiction? If it'd level up both enemies and loot that chest should contain, like, feather-enchanted daedric armor, or, LOL, anyway...
    You find the phat pitcher lewts at lower levels.
    #
    Endymion 13 years ago
    It's been a while but I think either Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod or Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul could help(OOO changes lots of other stuff too)

Also afaik Skyrim's system will more similar to one in the fallout thingies (which I have no experience with)
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I must be a being devoid of any emotions whatsoever, because I'm completely unable to get all fired up over a game that isn't there yet.
    Or I just became a bit cynic after Oblivion.
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    Oooh, thanks for the Fransesco tip, I found OOO before but it didn't quite seem my cup of tea.

Narv: I blame Jeremy Soule.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    I found OOO before but it didn't quite seem my cup of tea.
    O_o

Complaining about Oblivion's dynamic leveling system is for Ecksbawksers, not PC gamers. Unless, of course, we're discussing it being even remotely possible that Bethesda would include it in Skyrim. Which they'd better damn well not.

Also:
    "Crazy" said:
    I blame Jeremy Soule.
    FUCK YEAH JEREMY SOULE.

That is all.
    #
    Pete 13 years ago
    Portal 2's preorder is taunting me, from the depths of my steam games library... just one month and fifteen days...

on a related note I bought braid while it was on sale but it was terribly average I honestly dont get why people make it sound like such a big deal
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    MK: Yeah, no, I can still complain about Oblivion's dynamic difficulty if I'm playing on the PC. Why on earth shouldn't I do that? I mean, yeah, mods, but they're third-party products. If they would mean that I can't complain about the dd, then the whole Hot Coffe BS-a-thon was valid as well. Which it wasn't.

Pete: Braid was all over the everything because it was all "artistic" 'n shit, but because the people saying that were vidjagame enthusiasts and not artists they just mistook "petentious" for "artistic".
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    I won't defend Braid as "art", although I do believe it is. But Braid was great as a game, too. I haven't seen as good an implementation and exploration of a time-rewind platformer.

I guess the implementation of Sands of Time might be as solid, but it just doesn't use the whole mechanic as wonderfully as Braid does. Levels were time moves in the direction you are physically moving? Levels where time moves backwards? This is somewhat like VVVVVV did with gravity flipping instead of time rewind - by itself it had been done before, but not as masterfully.

Also keep in mind Braid is almost three years old by now, has been over-analyzed and over-hyped, and Jonathan Blow is a weirdo who thinks adventure games are worthless and rightfully died.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    I won't defend Braid as "art", although I do believe it is. But Braid was great as a game, too. I haven't seen as good an implementation and exploration of a time-rewind platformer.

I guess the implementation of Sands of Time might be as solid, but it just doesn't use the whole mechanic as wonderfully as Braid does. Levels were time moves in the direction you are physically moving? Levels where time moves backwards? This is somewhat like VVVVVV did with gravity flipping instead of time rewind - by itself it had been done before, but not as masterfully.
    Ditto.

Also, I got Braid via the Humbler Indie Bundle, which I basically got just for Cortex Command, so... yeah.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I just finished BIT.TRIP RUNNER, which I guess qualifies me as slightly hardcore, in case beating several Touhous didn't accomplish that.
    Now onto the FLAWLESS.* achievements!
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I just finished BIT.TRIP RUNNER, which I guess qualifies me as slightly hardcore, in case beating several Touhous didn't accomplish that.
    Now onto the FLAWLESS.* achievements!
    Fuck, I still haven't beaten a single Touhou game. Well, I technically finished Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, but that took me several continues and I haven't a hope in hell of reaching the extra stage.

On the other hand, I am totally going for the FLAWLESS.* achievements. BIT.TRIP FOREVER!
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Don't bother with the extra stage. It's two difficulty grades higher than lunatic. And that's an understatement ;P But at least unlocking it is also an achievement, yes.

That FLAWLESS.* thing might take a while, though :c
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I'm taking a break from BIT.TRIPs in favour of old Spiderweb games (Geneforge looks yummy. I'm playing the pretty large demo of the first one).
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    Has anyone played URL Hunter? (Warning: the game will screw with your web browser's history.) It's an entire game played in the URL bar!
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Yes. It's a nice gag, but that's pretty much it.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    I'd like to know how many of you are going to get Portal 2. For eventual Coop-age.
    Also, TV spot.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Me. Obviously. The day it's out. Screw oaths.

Will have to buy a new pc first. But I was going to do that for Magicka anyway.

Not sure I mentioned it before, but I can barely run Magicka on my computer.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Gah. Lately, my nerdgeekscore fell quite a bit, due to having a life.
    I seriously need to beat some Touhou on hard or something. Or I might actually turn into a healthy member of the society.
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    When I start playing video games, I have to finish or get really bored with them, or they rule my thoughts. Like the time I started playing through Halo 1 and 2 for the first time and nearly didn't finish some homework I had for that weekend. (The week between playing the two games was a drag, too.)

Coincidentally, I spent the past day and a half playing GTA3, and now I'm putting off psychology homework by writing about it here.
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    When I start playing video games, I have to finish or get really bored with them, or they rule my thoughts. Like the time I started playing through Halo 1 and 2 for the first time and nearly didn't finish some homework I had for that weekend. (The week between playing the two games was a drag, too.)

Coincidentally, I spent the past day and a half playing GTA3, and now I'm putting off psychology homework by writing about it here.
    Oh god, I get the Tetris effect with everything. Like, I've been playing Medieval 2 recently (again) and this morning I was eating scrambled eggs. I set the plate before me and took the first bite. And then, I swear, for about half a minute I stared at it waiting to see how it moves it's troops.

Apparently it decided to not move them and I slaughtered them from range. Incidentally, a lot of archery-based faction playthroughs end rather the same. The battle AI in Medieval 2 (god bless its stupid little soul) tends to be rather passive, even if I'm fielding only ranged troops and they're fielding only melee troops. Indeed, if such is the case, it decides that the best course of action is to stand there and die. I tend not to field ranged-heavy armies. Not that the battle AI is less passive then. GRIPE GRIPE
    #
    Murska 13 years ago
    Heh. I bought Shogun 2 - Total War recently. The pre-programmed historical battle AI is actually somewhat competent. I had to blink a few times when Togukawa first harassed my archers with light cavalry and then flanked my relief force with samurai cavalry by fording the river farther upstream, protected by a number of archers on the other side of the river.

It seems to be slightly better even in normal campaign battles, though still oh so abusable.
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    Heh. I bought Shogun 2 - Total War recently. The pre-programmed historical battle AI is actually somewhat competent. I had to blink a few times when Togukawa first harassed my archers with light cavalry and then flanked my relief force with samurai cavalry by fording the river farther upstream, protected by a number of archers on the other side of the river.

It seems to be slightly better even in normal campaign battles, though still oh so abusable.
    Maaan, now I wish I had a comp that could run that. Or Empire, for that matter.

The whole Japanese setting is somewhat of a turnoff, though. Mostly the fact that all the factions are uniform in design and purpose when in something like Rome you could have anything from Greek phalanxes to Roman legions to Germanic warbands, all of which funtioned completely differently in battle. A setting of East-Asia at large would be cooler than just Japan IMHO. But I dunno. I know next to nothing about the history of that region. And of course, smaller scope means better quality within that scope.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I'll just go play Wesnoth instead.
    I never could quite get into this whole Total War thing. Even though I really wanted to like it.
    #
    Zankman 13 years ago
    Oooh, the last (and only) Total War game I played was Rome... Having in mind that I was younger then, I didn't even take it all that seriously...
    I would so like it if I could play these new Total war games...
    Dammit, I've missed out on Medieval 2, Empire and now Shogun 2. -.-

King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame, as a somewhat similar game, also caught my eye. I would also like to play this game and it's expansions, despite the difficutly.

Again, in the same vein, The Kings' Crusade...

But then again, I missed out on dozens upon dozens of PC and console games, and with a PC like mine, who knows when I'll get a chance to play them. -.-
    #
    Murska 13 years ago
    Wesnoth is fun too, but I can never find people to play it with me. And I can't do the singleplayer for long until I get too mad at the RNG.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    We used to play a while ago with the IRC people, didn't we? Just hang around and ask people, they might join.
    #
    Murska 13 years ago
    That'd mean I'd have to log on IRC, though.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Yes, that's really a thing you should avoid doing at all costs.
    #
    Crazy 13 years ago
    So did you hear about Duke Nukem Forever?

It got delayed.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Well the strange suspicion haunted me since the game name was revealed...
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    So did you hear about Duke Nukem Forever?

It got delayed.
    >.>

<.<

Let me guess... it was the console ports this time, right?
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/console/">http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/console/</a><!-- m -->

That's so half-assed... I'm disappointed.

And I believe DNF did, in fact, NOT get delayed again.
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: