Register
Email: Password:
Forum » [VC]Anime
  • « previous
  • » next
  • [VC]Anime

Idiota 17 years ago
    So... what anime do YOU like? Also, please catagorise, so that other people may know what to expect from that anime. I'll start off.

Action
    Bleach
    Naruto
    Ghost in the Shell

Yeah, those three are about the only 3 animes that I watch that I can really suggest for you to watch. The others I've watched aren't that great.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Action (or something like that, too lazy to think 'bout it)
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    #
    Anarion 17 years ago
    I never really got into Anime. The only Animes I have really watched are the first Ghost in the Shell and The Animatrix.

Although I did watch Astro boy as a kid.

But thats going back many, many years.
    #
    Madgamer 17 years ago
    "Anarion" said:
    Although I did watch Astro boy as a kid.

But thats going back many, many years.

Meh, I think that was 8 years ago before my first/last one

Me personally, I liked Samurai Champloo. Funny most of the time and its not like other most chivalrist anime. One guy is totally on whack and the other is all about doing the 'right' thing. Mix them together and POW.

Before going into any more detail, the biggest anime cliche that annoys me is when one guy pwns all the other characters without a freaking scratch. I mean, how is that even possible? Nada meh thinks.

Hare+Guu does not follow the cliche I mentioned above and this one is funny in an insane way. Go watch and you'll get what I mean.

Also just as a note, I never liked Naruto or Bleach (I don't even know what's Bleach >.> so don't even try to get me fed up with that stuff.
    #
    Shingo 17 years ago
    Gundam Wing -

.hack// - I admit, this anime is nucking futs. However, it's very good. Erm... egh... I'mma have to say look on the wiki and/or google this one as I don't trust myself to properly describe it.

Trigun - Gotta love Vash the Stampede. I mean, he has a red trench coat, he has gravity defying hair, and he has the Angel-Arm. Anyways, Trigun is a 23 episode anime that centers around Vash. A gunman, ironically, who refuses to kill, and his brother Knives, who views humanity as a plague that must be eradicated. He has a bounty of $$60,000,000,000 on his head. Why? He has a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being blamed for just about everything under the sun. Along the way he runs into Milly and Meryl - two insurance agents sent to watch him at all times and try to keep him out of trouble and Nickolas D Wolfwood, the wandering priest.

Cowboy Bebop - The story of two bounty hunters, Spike and Jet, and their companions Faye, Ed, and the dog Ein. Bounty Hunters, in space. Also called Space Cowboys. Except they all have a past. A past that cannot be forgotten and that cannot be buried. Can they overcome it?

Rurouni Kenshin -

Outlaw Star
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    Anime, huh?

I have a bunch of that, and love a bunch of it.

Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
    Genre(s): Shoujo Ai, Romance, Drama, School
    Type: TV series
    Episodes: 12
    Opinion: My absolute favorite anime of all time. The manga even better and longer, thus worth picking up. I highly recommend this anime for everyone who likes lesbian romance without gratuitous naughtiness. Everyone I know who knows this anime and manga loves it. I have heard no bad reviews so far. By the way, the anime faithfully follows the manga up to episode 9 and then it splits off into a bit of an alternate universe. This means that past episode 9 of the anime is non-canon as the manga is the canon version.

Dead Leaves
    Genre(s): Action, Dementia
    Type: OVA
    Opinion: Great psychological anime. It is gritty and very, very mindbending. Might take a few watches to get, but it is very much worth a watch or two.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
    Genre(s): Magic
    Episodes: 13
    Sequels: [list]Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's - 13 episodes
    Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS - 26 episodes (not released yet)[/list:u]

Opinion: One of my favorite animes of all time. It is one of the best magical girl animes out there. The characters are rather cute, yet realistic and the story does get serious in places.

Blue Gender
    Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Mecha, Sci-fi
    Episodes: 26
    Opinion: One of my favorite animes of all time. Superb action, character development, and is very gritty and realistic. The plot is believable and interesting and the characters can keep you hooked.

Serial Experiments Lain
    Genre(s): Dementia, Drama, Mystery, Sci-fi
    Opinion: One of my favorite animes of all time. Awesomely psychological anime. It will not just mess with your mind, it will redesign it. I cannot say more as, well... I cannot do Serial Experiments Lain justice. It is just amazing and is a wholly superb anime.

Mujin Wakusei Survive (Uninhabited Planet SURVIVE)
    Genre(s): Adventure, Sci-fi
    Episodes: 52
    Opinion: Superb anime, superb character development. Not for everyone, though, as it is mainly about survival of some students marooned on a mysterious planet. The ending is very interesting, though, and there are a few plot twists along the way.

Texhnolyze
    Genre(s): Action, Dementia, Drama, Sci-fi
    Episodes: 22
    Opinion: Superb anime. One of my favourite brain scramblers. It pulls you in with a soundless broken story to make you curious, then throws you right into the plot. It can be tough to follow at times if you do not pay attention. Words are not the only things used in this anime to convey messages. You actually need to watch characters to see some things. The characters, by the way, are damn excellent. They act very realistically in an extremely gritty and dark world. Worth a very, very long watch.

Uta Kata
    Genre(s): Drama, Ecchi, Magic, School
    Opinion: Another superb anime. Great if you like drama and implied lesbian romance. It is a bit perverse, but doesn't go too terribly overboard. The story is crazy and it does screw with your brain. Very good, I say.

Furi Kuri (FLCL)
    Genre(s): Action, Comedy, Dementia, Mecha, Parody
    Type: OVA
    Episodes: 6
    Opinion: One of my favorite animes of all time. I am at a loss for words, except that FLCL is something everyone should watch.

Heppoko Jikken Animation Excel Saga (Excel Saga)
    Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Comedy, Dementia, Parody
    Episodes: 26 (25 + 1 "special" banned in many places)
    Opinion: Freaking random and hilarious. I love you, Excel Saga. You make me laugh. Definitely worth your time.

Cowboy Bebop
    Genre(s): Action, Detective, Sci-fi, Space
    Opinion: I love you, Cowboy Bebop. Definitely a favorite. It is gritty at times, silly, serious, and just a fun watch. Edward rocks your box so hard.

Azumanga Daiou (Azumanga Daioh)
    Genre(s): Comedy, School
    Opinion: Azumanga is so damn cute. Chiyo-chan rocks with her head-mounted ovals. Hahaha, seriously. This is something you should watch.

Boukyaku no Senritsu (Melody of Oblivion)
    Genre(s): Action, Dementia, Mecha, SciFi
    Episodes: 24
    Opinion: Completely whacked out, yet I love it. It is crazy and seems completely freaking random at times, but makes complete sense in the end. Love for Melody of Oblivion!

Love Hina
    Genre(s): Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School
    Episodes: 24
    Opinion: Perverse, but not overly. A lovely anime and very cute. Worth a watch! Addictive, too!

Tokyo Mew Mew
    Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Comedy, Kids, Romance, School, Shoujo
    Episodes: 52
    Opinion: Sweet zombie Jesus, I love Tokyo Mew Mew. It's so cute and so wonderful. Second only to Nanoha. It wouldn't even be close if Nanoha had a cute catgirl who actually acts like a cat. Plot is a bit cheesy and is very similar to other magical girl animes. Very reminiscent of Sailor Moon, but I think TMM does it much better and doesn't overplay things. Worth much love.

UFO Princess Valkyrie
    Genre(s): Comedy, Ecchi, SciFi
    Sequels: [list]UFO Princess Valkyrie: Jyuunigatsu no Yasoukyoku (UFO Princess Valkyrie: December Nocturne)
    UFO Princess Valkyrie: Seiresetsu no Hanayome
    UFO Princess Valkyrie: Toki to Yume to Ginga no Utage[/list:u]

Opinion: Awesomely adorable. One of my favorites. So adorable and just plain good to watch. It is perverse and has bath house scenes but is NOT graphic in a naughty manner! Well, at least not that I have seen. Okay, so maybe it is. It has loli undertones, but I don't care because it leads to mass hilarity. It is very cute and funny. Definitely something to watch if you have a sense of humour.

Koukyoushi Hen: Eureka Seven (Eureka SeveN: Psalms of Planets)
    Genre(s): Drama, Mecha, Sci-fi
    Episodes: 50
    Opinion: Awesomely awesome. Lots of action, character development, and odd girls that talk to machines. Oh, and odd machines that surf invisible waves and can slice enemy machines in half with its "invisible wave surfboard." Yeah, I'm being silly. E7 is cool. Watch.

That is some of the anime I like. Note that this does NOT include movies. This only includes series and OVA. Dead Leaves is, technically, a "movie" as it is a one episode OVA, but is not feature length. It is only an hour long and is really a two episode OVA mixed into one.

Next post I'll do movies.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Ah, Cowboy Bebop. Forgot I had even watched it, but it is a great deal of fun to watch. The real 'action' scenes are a bit short and few, but they totally rock.
    #
    Barebones 17 years ago
    "Zombie" said:

Serial Experiments Lain
    Genre(s): Dementia, Drama, Mystery, Sci-fi
    Opinion: One of my favorite animes of all time. Awesomely psychological anime. It will not just mess with your mind, it will redesign it. I cannot say more as, well... I cannot do Serial Experiments Lain justice. It is just amazing and is a wholly superb anime.
    Next post I'll do movies.

Weirdest series ever. That is all I have to say.

Unfortunately I have not been keeping up with the latest mainstream anime, but I have heard of the demonspawn known as Naruto, which I scorn for spreading lies about the art of the Ninja.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    Yeah. I dislike Naruto very much. It only gets relatively interesting around episode 70. I mean, it still isn't interesting at all, but it's ages better when compared to the beginning eps. The major battles rock. Everything else should probably be cut because your life isn't long enough to watch all of Naruto.

What? You think you'll be living long after a long chain of filler that has nothing to do with the story? Trust me, filler is more deadly, persistent, and incurable than cancer and AIDS combined. The only cure for filler is to cut it out.

Filler kills, kids. Just say no.
    #
    Nuklearni-okurka 17 years ago
    Dragon Ball (DB)
    Dragon Ball Z (DBZ)
    Dragon Ball GT (DBGT)
    Naruto
    Naruto shipuuden

These are all action animes i can think off.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Serial Experiments Lain is still the only anime series i've ever watched. And... well... Lain was... erm... it's very... i found it... LAIN IS LAIN, FFS. There really aren't words that can accurately describe it.

Oh, i watched Beyblade as a kid, too. Was it even called that? I remember only the word "bitbeast" from the whole affair for some reason.

Oh, and then... you people... tried to get me to watch FMA. Which i got bored of.

Look, i don't want realism in entertainment. I really don't. Reality sucks. My friend got hit in the head with a chair today. That's reality. I don't want to be hit on the head with a chair.

But what i DO want is logic. SEL was logical. It remains the most confusing thing i have ever seen, but it was logical. FMA was NOT logical. Yes, i know, it's "alchelmy", that's why they can do that. All of the alchelmy stuff was logical. Up to the point where that... dude... started firing great big arcs of fire, because his gloves were made of "ignition cloth" and thusly gave the spark. This is logical, just because the series explains what is happening. But then they say that after that, "he just changes the oxygen levels in the air and vóila!". Yes. Oxygen is the main ingredient in fire. I mean, BURNING is really just a reaction TO oxygen. What oxygen IS NOT is a fuel. Oxygen can't burn because oxygen can't oxidize.

Someone watch "The 9th Company" (9 рота and point me towards an anime that equals it. And i promise that i will watch a minimal of 10 hours of it before concluding it to be negative, even with a ll my prejudice set aside.

Oh. And when watching the movie, you need to consider that the Soviet army REALLY WAS like that. They really DID give away defective equipment, they really DID have such a degree of violence inside and this stuff really DID happen to the men of the 9th company.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Up to the point where that... dude... started firing great big arcs of fire, because his gloves were made of "ignition cloth" and thusly gave the spark. This is logical, just because the series explains what is happening. But then they say that after that, "he just changes the oxygen levels in the air and vóila!". Yes. Oxygen is the main ingredient in fire. I mean, BURNING is really just a reaction TO oxygen. What oxygen IS NOT is a fuel. Oxygen can't burn because oxygen can't oxidize.
    But what about the REST of the stuff in the air? I'd guess he changes the levels of oxygen in the air so the rest of the stuff ignites.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    WHAT "rest of the stuff"?! Nitrogen? Though my knowledge in Chem is limited, AFAIK, N20 DOES burn, but with a very small, blue flame. What else? There was some combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen that created a gas that exploded. But that exploded instead of burning. The explosion that big a flame would bring along would shatter the eardrums of anyone watching, not to mention those fighting. Yet no bang was heard.
    #
    Murska 17 years ago
    Or the guy who said that just didn't know everything about his power. Of course, what the story tells of him, he wouldn't have told all of it anyway.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    There was some combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen that created a gas that exploded. But that exploded instead of burning. The explosion that big a flame would bring along would shatter the eardrums of anyone watching, not to mention those fighting. Yet no bang was heard.

Are you high on something? Density, composition, and compression are all important to create an explosion. Hydrogen does not always explode. It is highly combustible, but explosions occur when material is compressed or condensed.

Just like gasoline does not explode unless it is compressed and ignited. Why do you think a car can use it and not explode while if a gas station is run into, it will cause a violent explosion? It is because the gas in the pump is compressed and condensed. In an engine, gasoline is even sprayed into the ignition chamber to PREVENT explosions.

Also, explosions do not necessarily have to be eardrum shattering. It depends on the amount of material combusting and how much force it produces.

A prime example is the Hindenburg. There were not many explosions in the Hindenburg disaster. Most of the damage was combustion related and I have yet to hear of anyone who lost their hearing from that. People did die, though. I assume that was from burning to death, though.

Hydrogen will not always explode.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Not Hydrogen... It was some combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen. I don't remember the exact formula, which created AN EXPLOSION. As in, "BANG!". Without any compression whatsoever. Just release it into the air and watch it go.

And hydrogen itself burns with such a weak flame that it's not even worth talking about. Well, it's not the flame itself that's weak, just that a hydrogen-oxygen burn is almost invisible to the naked eye.

And in the case of the Hindenburg, the only reason the flames were visible was because the flames took their color from the canvas and paint. Hydrogen alone wouldn't do that.

I said this at first. Read something you start flaming before you flame it.

And don't start talking about Hydrocarbons. There isn't a chance in hell there was enough carbon in the air there to for hydrocarbons.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Not Hydrogen... It was some combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen. I don't remember the exact formula, which created AN EXPLOSION. As in, "BANG!". Without any compression whatsoever. Just release it into the air and watch it go.

And hydrogen itself burns with such a weak flame that it's not even worth talking about. Well, it's not the flame itself that's weak, just that a hydrogen-oxygen burn is almost invisible to the naked eye.

And in the case of the Hindenburg, the only reason the flames were visible was because the flames took their color from the canvas and paint. Hydrogen alone wouldn't do that.

I said this at first. Read something you start flaming before you flame it.

And don't start talking about Hydrocarbons. There isn't a chance in hell there was enough carbon in the air there to for hydrocarbons.

Doesn't seem you understand enough about combustion. Combustion is a reaction that adds oxygen to a compound and yeilds light, heat, and compounds with water vapour. Hydrogen and oxygen burn. Oxygen is consumed. Hydrogen and oxygen mixed in different ratios just produce better circumstances for combustion, with the right amount of oxygen to burn and not enough to smother the reaction...

"Just hydrogen" would never truly combust as it needs oxygen to react with. Learn some chemistry and blah blah blah.

I'm not flaming, anyway. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was. I was tired and just typing stuff. Sorry about that.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Why shouldn't hydrocarbons be mentioned? It's very very bad science/discussion/intelligence to dismiss something out of hand like that.

First off, what do we know that Mustang does? We know he increases the oxygen content of the air. How could he do that with alchemy (which must have balanced chemical equations)? The first thing I think of is to take water vapor and carbon dioxide, and strip the oxygen off. Then Mustang could combine the free carbon and hydrogen produced into simple hydrocarbons (I'm thinking propane, as it's easy to burn). The resulting mixture is already combustable (in nearly ideal ratios of fuel to oxygen), and as alchemists are certainly capable of adjusting localized pressure it would be child's play to compress the mixture suitably. Add a small amount of energy (spark from the gloves) and you have an explosion.

The compression is very important but is certainly possible. Leira (spelling?) was hardly a capable alchemist. Yet she was capable of using an attack by manipulating pressure to form a shockwave.

Honestly, you give the writer of FMA far too little credit in understanding the laws of the natural world. The only fudging is how alchemists can reduce entropy seemingly at will. This is explained later in the series however.
    #
    Murska 17 years ago
    "Cejer" said:
    Why shouldn't hydrocarbons be mentioned? It's very very bad science/discussion/intelligence to dismiss something out of hand like that.

First off, what do we know that Mustang does? We know he increases the oxygen content of the air. How could he do that with alchemy (which must have balanced chemical equations)? The first thing I think of is to take water vapor and carbon dioxide, and strip the oxygen off. Then Mustang could combine the free carbon and hydrogen produced into simple hydrocarbons (I'm thinking propane, as it's easy to burn). The resulting mixture is already combustable (in nearly ideal ratios of fuel to oxygen), and as alchemists are certainly capable of adjusting localized pressure it would be child's play to compress the mixture suitably. Add a small amount of energy (spark from the gloves) and you have an explosion.

The compression is very important but is certainly possible. Leira (spelling?) was hardly a capable alchemist. Yet she was capable of using an attack by manipulating pressure to form a shockwave.

Honestly, you give the writer of FMA far too little credit in understanding the laws of the natural world. The only fudging is how alchemists can reduce entropy seemingly at will. This is explained later in the series however.

And all this just by snapping his fingers. I want that kind of gloves.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Hydrogen-oxygen reactions should be disregarded as they burn with a very faint, blue flame.

Hydrocarbons should be disregarded as the amount of carbon in the air is very small. Though it is there, the amount is by far not enough to create flames going 15 to 30 feet.

I think i figured it out, though. Hydrogen peroxide is powerful enough to be used as a monopropellant. But i don't know what color it's flame is.

Now.
    "Zombie" said:
    "Just hydrogen" would never truly combust as it needs oxygen to react with. Learn some chemistry and blah blah blah.
    "Crazy" said:
    And hydrogen itself burns with such a weak flame that it's not even worth talking about. Well, it's not the flame itself that's weak, just that an hydrogen-oxygen burn is almost invisible to the naked eye.
    I WAS wrong about the explosive gas thing, though. Damn my chem teacher.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Also, just to throw some more water to the mix (as I think I've seen/heard people say), there's always the bit of CO2 in the stuff we call air, so could he have deoxidized the carbon and burned that?
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Yes. That would be the most effective variant. The only problem is that there is very little CO2 in the air.
    "Wikipedia" said:
    It is present in the Earth's atmosphere at a low concentration of approximately 0.03%-0.06%
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    ... What? CO2 at 0.03%? Then what are the plants breathing?
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    And what's warming the global?! That's supposed to be CO2's fault!
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    That is NOT very little, you guys need to get the scale of a planetary atmosphere into your heads.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    You guys didn't know that?!

By god...

But still, MK is right. Take 0.03% on... say, a square km, multiply that by the height of the atmosphere and you get a pretty hefty amount. Then take into consideration that it works as a greenhouse gas and... well, we've all been to a greenhouse.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Also, water is the biggest greenhouse gas.
    #
    Shingo 17 years ago
    How did we get from talking about Mustang's gloves to Greenhouse Gas? -.-

Hmm... Just to be a jerk, I'm going to list the Voice-Actors that I've met at the 2 (soon to be 3) anime conventions that I've attended.

FMA:
    Edward Elric
    Alphonse Elric
    Roy Mustang - I swear the fangirls wouldn't shut up about this guy..... =/
    Winry Rockbell
    Lust

DBZ:
    Master Roshi

Trigun:
    Vash the Stampede - This guy was also the black power-ranger, and is the lead singer in a band (Eyeshine), that attended and performed at the second anime convention.

Cowboy Bebop:
    Faye Valentine

Wolf's Rain:
    Kiba

Last Exile:
    Clause

More that I forget at this moment....

Ps. Once I remember where I hosted them I'll post the pictures that I've uploaded of me and said voice-actors.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    One last comment before (if?) a mod kills the off topic posts...
    Ice core data shows that warmer temperatures predict rising CO2 levels. Not the other way around as proponents of man-made global warming want you to believe. Meaning temperatures went up AND THEN carbon dioxide levels went up AND THEN temperatures went down.

The solar cycle, on the other hand, matches up with warming periods as follows: solar output increased AND THEN temperatures went up AND THEN solar output decreased AND THEN temperatures went down.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    I was just being silly with that global warming comment. I do realize the sheer scale of the planetary atmosphere. I'm just silly sometimes. ^-^
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    It did genuinely shock me, though. I got it mixed up with this documentary I saw that said that primordial Earth had 20% CO2, and Earth a million years ago had 2%. I thought there might still be at least that much in there.

... I gotta read Wikipedia some more. [edit] It's actually 0.04%. [/edit]
    #
    EvilP 17 years ago
    I was gonna suggest some awesome animes, but this thread has gone off track. Well done.

FMAs whole 'alchemy' business is rather broken overall because it never much considers things like the energy needed to separate molecules and molecular bonds. The whole science aspect to it just part of the story, really.
    #
    Arawak 17 years ago
    I like coboy bebob (you asked remember?)

Ahem:

(spike looks at crazy guy with a catlike stare)

(crazy guy remembers a cat in the window from the "lab")

(crazy guy freaks an in a split second spike throws a knife)

(knife hits crazy guy in the leg)

(crazy guy falls down and cries like a child for his mother)

(giant robot carnival parade smushes crazy guy)

(they go home and have chicken chow mein with no chicken)
    #
    Bien45 16 years ago
    I like :
    Gundam Seed
    Naruto
    Flame Of Recca
    One Piece
    when i was a kid i liked these
    Digimon
    Pokemon
    #
    bwansy 16 years ago
    Comedy:
    Azumanga Diaoh
    Aria the Animation, Aria the Natural (sequel)
    Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
    (As you can see the English title is exactly backwards )

Ones with serious (as opposed to silly) storylines:
    AIR TV
    Uta-kata
    Chobits
    Uchyuu no Stellvia (Stellvia of the Universe)
    Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho (The Place Promised in Our Early Days)
    Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star)
    All of Miyazaki's works

Liked when I was a kid:
    Eva
    Zoids
    Astro Boy
    Pokemon

A friend of mine likes:
    Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (he recommended it to me)
    Higurashi no NakuKoro ni (When Cicadas Cry)
    Bleach
    DNA2
    #
    Forum » [VC]Anime
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: