Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Problems with internet.

Problems with internet.

The Gemini 17 years ago
I just got my old computer back from repairs, and I was ready to connect it to the internet. I stuffed my plug-and-play network card into my computer and waited to hear the "ding dong" sound, however, I got a strange "dong dong dong" sound. I checked everywhere on my compy, but it showed no signs of that it was aware that a network card was connected to it, except the "dong dong dong" sound. I then got a USB network thingie from a friend of mine, and it worked perfectly, untill one day when I connected it and heared the dreaded "dong dong dong" sound. Now I got no internet connection on the bastard, er... I mean computer, and is forced to use my mom's computer.

I really wants help here. Can somebody explain what's going on, and what's the meaning behind the "dong dong dong" sound?

The repair guys had to change the hard drive if that's to any help. I've got all the network drivers required installed, and Service Pack 2.
#
Pete 17 years ago
Dong dong dong means that device was UNplugged I think. Try pulling it out and back in, or apply some force.
#
Anonymous1157 17 years ago
Is it a PCI card? Does it have a model number? Did you plug it in right? Did you dust the port its in? Actually, dusting it is bound to work, because that's why the NES had so many problems.
#
The Gemini 17 years ago
It has nothing to do with dusting at all. This compy just came back from repairs and is as good as new. Also, the "dong dong dong" sound is something completely different from the plugged/unplugged sounds. I think the unplugged sound was "ding dong", and the plugged is "dong ding" or something. At least its not "dong dong dong".
#
Grim Reaper 17 years ago
You're correct in the plugin/plugout sounds, that's for sure.
#
The Gemini 17 years ago
But does anyone know what "dong dong dong" means?!
#
Does it sound like the "dong ding" and "ding dong" sounds rapidly played one after the other? That was supposed to mean something, but I forgot what.

Open up the Device Manager and tell us what it thinks the card is.
#
The Gemini 17 years ago
It doesn't even detect the card. The same thing goes with the USB network hub thingie.
#
ahrenjb 17 years ago
How about plugging an Ethernet cord right into your computer? Do other peripherals work?
#
The Gemini 17 years ago
Using a cord works. The problem is that it is only available on the ground floor.
#
Get a really long cable, then. Better yet, build your own.
#
Anarion 17 years ago
"Anonymous1157" said:
Better yet, build your own.
Building a cable can be a pain in the ass. Buy it, it's easier.
#
Lochen 17 years ago
Making a ethernet cable is easy. *shrugs* That or I am just as weird as I always thought I was.

(Oh no! Lochen is still around once in a while! )
#
Anarion 17 years ago
"Lochen" said:
Making a ethernet cable is easy.
I never said it was hard, I just said it was a pain in the ass.
#
Lochen 17 years ago
Well, the first dozen times it was a pain, but gets simple and easy after about the hundredth time. Prob just easier to go buy though, not many people have the right cable and ends for it, or the time.
#
LunaticNeko 17 years ago
"Lochen" said:
Making a ethernet cable is easy.
Yes. It's a simple basic most people should be able to do.
#
ahrenjb 17 years ago
Building an ethernet cable is easy! Just do this

(long metal pole+ether) + Computer Unit

#
Zombie 17 years ago
"Lochen" said:
Well, the first dozen times it was a pain, but gets simple and easy after about the hundredth time. Prob just easier to go buy though, not many people have the right cable and ends for it, or the time.

The reason it's a pain, I think, is the time it takes to make one. After you've made and used a few of your own cables, though, you tend to realize that they fail a lot less and tend to work a lot smoother than mass-produced, commercial cords. :3

The mantra of the commercial world is "less resources for more money!"
#
Solus Lupus 17 years ago
I have a sugestion for finding out what Dong Dong Dong is, look in the control panel for the Dong Dong Dong sound under sounds. It then should tell you why it goes off. That would help ALOT in solving the problem
#
Crazy 17 years ago
Making your own CABLE instead of buying one. This truly is degeneration X.
#
Forum » Problems with internet.

Your email:
Your name: