Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium 3D
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium 3D

Kario 13 years ago
    a company? wouldn't that be kinda hard since there already is one?
    and before you think big finish it first.
    anonymous like half hour after your post.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Kario" said:
    a company? wouldn't that be kinda hard since there already is one?
    ...Yes. Because there can only be one company in the entire world.

*facepalm*
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Kario" said:
    and before you think big finish it first.
    We are absolutely aware of all standards to follow when programming. And that's only one of them, mister.

"Kario" said:
    anonymous like half hour after your post.
    wat
    #
    Kario 13 years ago
    i meant instantkingdom.com mageking17 or to others monkkonen.net.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    *facepalms*
    Kario. Please. Just shut it.

I'm actually quite programmey, too.
    Apparently, we don't really have a shortage of this type of people here, though
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    You can say that again.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Narvius" said:
    You can say that again.
    Did you really need to put 5 links? Yes, we realise our problem.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    So, two programmers meet on an internet forum...
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    It's funny that you guys should mention not being short on programmers. I just found out that we have a second programmer for a video game we'll be working on in my IRL school club. And I never expected that the guy could program!

So, as far as this thread goes, does this mean that just everyone in general is going to work on Notrium3D as they get the chance to? This WAS supposed to be a community project to begin with, IIRC. It just kinda never took off 'cause only one programmer was officially working on it.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    Indeed, that barrier was removed. Now let's see if there aren't any others ahead.
    Also, post on olog-hai forums more.
    #
    I'm sure the activity on Olog-Hai will start to ramp up as the game does. There were, like, five active posters when modeling was at a high the last time around, so it shouldn't be hard to imagine that five programmers trying to work together on a project could talk up a storm.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I just found out that we have a second programmer for a video game we'll be working on in my IRL school club.
    Oh, lucky you. I'm the only one for mine. But at least the graphics guy is my friend who lives like fifteen bicycle minutes from me, so organization is no problem. (I made it pretty far, even. The engine works, mostly. It's a p'n'c adventure, educational purpose. *sigh*)

So... if we would start over from scratch, what language/existing engine/magic would we use?
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    does this mean that just everyone in general is going to work on Notrium3D as they get the chance to?
    Well, I won't. I'm too busy with those two projects I linked to screenshots of.
    #
    "Narvius" said:
    So... if we would start over from scratch, what language/existing engine/magic would we use?
    We'd use Source! Almost all of us have a few Source engine games, save for myself when we started the project (IOW I do now), which is why we didn't use it in the first place. But then we'd be working in C, not Java, so IIRC, we'd only have two or three possible programmers as opposed to four or five.
    #
    Vacuus 13 years ago
    Oops. 16 days late, that's what I get for never checking anything beyond intelligent conversation and projects corner.

Programming in C wouldn't be so bad, it's actually a pretty simple language and using a pre-existing engine/game means that 90% of the work is already done for you. You wouldn't have to worry about programming idioms or principles or whatever and can instead on making the actual content. Mind you, I haven't actually worked with source before but I can't imagine it being any harder than making our own game from scratch; apart from syntactic idiosyncrasies about the only practical difference I can think of between java and C++ is that Java has better garbage collection by default and forces OOP. Of course C is not C++ and I really, really hope source isn't pure C if we go that way as that usually results in macro hell if I know anything about commercial C engines.

One of the biggest problems with starting this off as a community driven project is that people are going to argue - it's not such a big deal for the artists as they can just focus on one model and not really care what every one else does but it'll be different with the programmers. E_Net4 and I have already had that trouble, we tend to confuse terminology and probably aren't clear enough with our explanations but even so I think it usually works better if there's just one programmer working on the core components until things can be branched out a little more. I don't see that happening though; none of the current programmers seem to want to do so, and with Amarth, Mageking and myself either too busy or unwilling it looks like it'll be purely community driven. Fair enough.

I'm probably talking too much but as a final word you might want to look into Panda3D - it's an engine written in C++ with python bindings, so it's not overly slow but being able to program in python will mean it could be developed damned quick.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    And some people (like me) aren't even involved in gamedev. Specifically, I can't even imagine how to program that main game core.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Source is C++. I kinda don't like C++ but in terms of deployment I think Source would be a good choice for someone wanting to make a FPS. Great networking support is also a plus. UDK might also be a possibility there.

Niwsters is currently working on the core, or at least, I think he is . Like you say, once he's done some substantial work we can easily jump in and extend on parts where we don't interfere with each other all the time.

And Panda3D is awesome. But I'm not sure I'd trust Python for a large project like this.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    I'm not into Python myself, though Panda3D seems to look sort of nice.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    I'm not sure I'd trust Python for a large project like this.
    I've never used Panda3D, but I have used Pyglet (another 3D-capable Python graphics library) and it's definitely not so great for doing things quickly. If you want a first-person shooter, Python is definitely not the language to do it in (unless you go EVE Online and make the game engine Python and the graphics library C++ or whatever).
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    I've never used Panda3D, but I have used Pyglet (another 3D-capable Python graphics library) and it's definitely not so great for doing things quickly. If you want a first-person shooter, Python is definitely not the language to do it in (unless you go EVE Online and make the game engine Python and the graphics library C++ or whatever).
    Which is what Panda3D does.

I was talking more about the lack of type-safety in Python, which you probably know my viewpoint about by now.
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    No no, I don't mean use a library that uses the Python C API or whatever, I mean write the entire game-specific rendering engine in C++ and just link a Python game logic engine into it.
    #
    Vacuus 13 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    No no, I don't mean use a library that uses the Python C API or whatever, I mean write the entire game-specific rendering engine in C++ and just link a Python game logic engine into it.

It'd be no slower, embedding (as you're describing it) is a pretty heavy operation and in reality no different from extending python with a C++ library. If anything, it's actually harder to do with practically no real difference in performance.

Of course that depends on how much you do in python, but the reality is you have to do quite a lot (data file loading (could load that separately as well), update func, callbacks etc) for it to be worth while. The more you do in python, the more you have to bind from C++ as well and eventually the rapid development which is Python's strong suite is gone as you're developing for basically two languages.

I'm doing a similar thing in my project right now, I have a vtable of events which point to script functions; I've implemented both python and lua (lua was faster, btw) and compared to what I was previously doing, which is using Panda3D in python, the performance is hardly slow in either. Mind you, it is just 2D so I guess it could be a bottleneck in N3D though I doubt it.
    #
    Roooobles (guest) 10 years ago
    yeaa!
    #
    Grim Reaper 10 years ago
    Please do not perform thread-necromancy unless you have something to contribute to the thread.
    #
    Forum » Notrium 3D
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: