Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Marevix's New-And-Improved Compositions

Marevix's New-And-Improved Compositions

Marevix 16 years ago
My signature has a link to the MySpace that I have a couple demo tracks from March uploaded to. A bit better than my old MIDI work, methinks . I'm recording a demo (instead of using Guitar Pro for playback purposes) some time this summer.
#
Grim Reaper 16 years ago
I'd check 'em, but then I'd have to sever my hands so they cannot direct me to another MySpace page ever again.

If you could host them somewhere else, I'd be happy to check them out.
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
Ditto. I was willing to check out Zombie and Shingo's MySpace pages, but only once. I'm never going back there again.
#
Marevix 16 years ago
I can compile an mp3 of my in-progress Guitar Pro tabs and send them via IM, I'm on AIM as Marevix. Probably in the IRC chat as well if I figure out how.

Edit - MageKing uploaded a demo of Kinetic Redirection at this link.
#
Crazy 16 years ago
I'm willing to reject Zombie and Shingo just for having MySpace pages...

On the other hand, it seems to be a rather popular way to distribute music, so i'm willing to forgive bands (and musicians) that use MySpace for that. Many a time has the soft, purring melody of a little-known Death Metal caressed my ear, after being uploaded there.
#
Anonymous1157 16 years ago
The only time I ever went to Myspace was because I was looking for this one song.

... Didn't Marevix disappear with everyone else that left a while back?
#
Marevix 16 years ago
"Anonymous1157" said:
The only time I ever went to Myspace was because I was looking for this one song.

... Didn't Marevix disappear with everyone else that left a while back?

If there was a mass abandonment, I missed it or forgot about it. I stopped by now and then in 2006.

Comments on the music, anyone?
#
E_net4 16 years ago
Well, not that of astonishing, it's something to hear.
#
Anarion 16 years ago
It's not too bad really. It would probably sound better if some of the instruments in guitar pro sounded more like their real life counterparts.
#
Marevix 16 years ago
Forgot to mention, the guitar solo in Kinetic Redirection (right now) is a joke, and about a third of it is more or less an idea dump (i.e. not arranged).
#
ahrenjb 16 years ago
Pretty good, if you were to set it up with some better sounding instruments, maybe something from FruityLoops, it would be better yet.
#
deejay_hr 16 years ago
Hehe, way to start off, this is my firs post. I don't really see the point of you all hating Myspace. I admit, I have a Myspace page. Go ahead and shoot me. I live in Europe, and I use it to stay in touch with my American friends. Otherwise my only contact would be the IM session I have with some of them once every month or 2. Time zone differences ftl.

On Topic: You seem to have potential. Did you make all that on computer, or did you play part of it on a guitar and record it? The metronome sound ruins it a bit. I believe that with some effort you could make it even better. For example, I have a free program that simulates drums. So you could add that. And I'm hoping to hear some kind of voice in the songs. Considering the style of music, could partial screaming, the rest just normal. I see a lot of potential here, but you need other band member, and you need to stop simulating the sounds, and actually play the stuff. God luck with the recording.
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"deejay_hr" said:
Hehe, way to start off, this is my firs post. I don't really see the point of you all hating Myspace.
It's frequently used by stalkers, rapists, and child molesters, and it's owned by News Corp, which is run by Rupert Murdoch. How much more evil can you get?
#
Amarth 16 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
"deejay_hr" said:
Hehe, way to start off, this is my firs post. I don't really see the point of you all hating Myspace.
It's frequently used by stalkers, rapists, and child molesters, and it's owned by News Corp, which is run by Rupert Murdoch. How much more evil can you get?
You know, I hate the US roads. Yeah, the roads. It is used by stalkers, rapist and child molesters, and it's owned by the USA, which is run by George W. Bush. How much more evil can you get?
#
MageKing17 16 years ago
"Amarth" said:
You know, I hate the US roads. Yeah, the roads. It is used by stalkers, rapist and child molesters, and it's owned by the USA, which is run by George W. Bush. How much more evil can you get?
What, didn't you realize there was a reason I haven't made any attempt to get a driver's license yet?
#
Crazy 16 years ago
Deejay: If you listen a bit, you'll see that there IS a drum machine behind the thing.

As for vocals, to me it's a meh. It's a necessity for a commercial band, but even then it's usually the very last thing they do. Though i haven't heard how the thing sounds like on a real guitar, my first thoughts would also be an In Flames/LoG style high growl or early Mudvayne style screech. Low growls don't seem to fit it, IMHO. Though i want to hear it with the actual instrument. That might just change my opinion 180 degrees.
#
Marevix 16 years ago
"deejay_hr" said:
On Topic: You seem to have potential. Did you make all that on computer, or did you play part of it on a guitar and record it? The metronome sound ruins it a bit. I believe that with some effort you could make it even better. For example, I have a free program that simulates drums. So you could add that. And I'm hoping to hear some kind of voice in the songs. Considering the style of music, could partial screaming, the rest just normal. I see a lot of potential here, but you need other band member, and you need to stop simulating the sounds, and actually play the stuff. God luck with the recording.

It's all recorded playback from Guitar Pro 5. I'm planning on recording the two original songs I almost have written and a cover in July. My lead guitarist has a quality guitar setup, and with the decent microphone I already have, the guitars will definitely sound better. I have some half dozen quality soft synths, so the keyboards will be quite phat indeed. Still trying to decide on a drum machine, though. The Guitar Pro bass guitar sounds acceptable, so I might use that for the final recording if my lead guitarist can't learn the bass guitar parts by July.

As for vocals, I originally planned on mid-low screaming (think of In Flames - Embody the Invisible), but I'm pretty sure that I'm switching the screaming to high black metal-esque screaming, split evenly between a high nasal technique for lyricless screams and open-throat for verses/choruses and the like. I'm trying to improve as a clean singing vocalist, but I don't think I'll have enough tone control for anything other than scream backing and the occasional midrange choir.

"Crazy" said:
Deejay: If you listen a bit, you'll see that there IS a drum machine behind the thing.

As for vocals, to me it's a meh. It's a necessity for a commercial band, but even then it's usually the very last thing they do. Though i haven't heard how the thing sounds like on a real guitar, my first thoughts would also be an In Flames/LoG style high growl or early Mudvayne style screech. Low growls don't seem to fit it, IMHO. Though i want to hear it with the actual instrument. That might just change my opinion 180 degrees.

There's programmed drums for one of the verses, and an interlude (maybe more, I've already written a bunch of drum parts and don't remember which I had on that demo) - maybe he didn't listen all the way through?

If I had a more solid low growling technique, I'd probably use it as a lead vocal for a bridge or something. Right now, the tone sounds more like a rough/gurgly zombie groan, though - I can go death metal low, but I don't have the thick death metal tone. I'm probably using it as a black metal-style backing for the high screams where the tone is out of focus.

I would beg to differ, however, regarding commercial bands; have you heard Fallout Boy or Panic! At The Disco recently? Practically all of their songs use string instruments as either sound fill or an aftertouch to the "catchy singing always in all parts of the song ever" style of writing they tend towards (or rather, have done for them ).
#
Crazy 16 years ago
have you heard Fallout Boy or Panic! At The Disco recently?

Try "no".

I seem to be the exact opposite on growls, though. I seem to get the low end out rather easily (though i run out of breath in about 3 seconds), i can't do mids or highs at all.

As for a drum machine, i highly recommend Hydrogen. The Windows version, at least, is rather buggy, tough, and i've had some corrupted saves. But the program itself is wonderful, allowing to produce some rather human-like drums. (tools such as "random pitch" or "velocity")
#
Marevix 16 years ago
"Crazy" said:
have you heard Fallout Boy or Panic! At The Disco recently?

Try "no".

I'd recommend keeping it that way.

"Crazy" said:
I seem to be the exact opposite on growls, though. I seem to get the low end out rather easily (though i run out of breath in about 3 seconds), i can't do mids or highs at all.

As for a drum machine, i highly recommend Hydrogen. The Windows version, at least, is rather buggy, tough, and i've had some corrupted saves. But the program itself is wonderful, allowing to produce some rather human-like drums. (tools such as "random pitch" or "velocity")

Does Hydrogen support MIDI import? Bugs and save file corruption would be fine if I can do the bulk of editing in a sequencer.
#
Crazy 16 years ago
Well, it has a nice little "export to midi" button, so i guess an import feature is somewhat likely.
#
Marevix 16 years ago
The lead guitarist who was going to play as a session member on the demo has joined as a permanent member (again), so we're writing a third melodic death metal track (heavier, mid-tempo, low growls, with mainly his guitar riffs and my keyboard/bass/drums). A standard three-track demo with a bonus cover is planned.
#
Forum » Marevix's New-And-Improved Compositions

Your email:
Your name: