Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Virus mod- v0.09a Lite version now available!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Virus mod- v0.09a Lite version now available!

MageKing17 15 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    Scout Rifle - Single shot
    Scout Rifle Alt - Full clip burst (14 sniper bullets...at once)(subject to change)
    That's not a burst, that's a shotgun blast. A burst is a short period during which it fires quickly... bam-bam-bam instead of bam-wait-bam-wait-bam. Sniper rifles do not fire in bursts.
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Right now it fires all bullets at once, since I'm too lazy to code it otherwise. And I do know that snipers don't fire in burst (pretty useless) but the scout rifle won't be a sniper. It'll be a versatile close-mid-long range weapon, capable in corridors and in open fields. The assault rifle will do a 10 bullet burst (maybe a 0.05 second delay between each shot) and the scout rifle will enter an almost shotgun-like 3 round burst mode for closer combat. I'm going to change the fusion beam to a kind of fusion link, where one laser beam hits an enemy and bounces off to another enemy, then it bounces and hits another, etc.
    I also have plans in later versions for multiple grenade types including a standard grenade, flashbang, smoke, freezing grenade, grav grenade (which implodes instead), scatter grenade and a flaming grenade. The flashbang and smoke grenade will come with the advanced AI update (flanking, proper sight and hearing, etc.). I also have plans to allow the player to customize their suit, weapons, allies and gadgets. Update to v0.08 coming when I finish the epilogue map.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    Right now it fires all bullets at once, since I'm too lazy to code it otherwise. And I do know that snipers don't fire in burst (pretty useless) but the scout rifle won't be a sniper. It'll be a versatile close-mid-long range weapon, capable in corridors and in open fields.
    I only used your own description "14 sniper bullets... at once".

"Aegis" said:
    I'm going to change the fusion beam to a kind of fusion link, where one laser beam hits an enemy and bounces off to another enemy, then it bounces and hits another, etc.
    It's been tried before. It doesn't work, they just move from one enemy, to the next, then back to the first. Beam weapons would be even worse.
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Guess what?
    Bingo! New update!
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rapidshare.com/files/123937612/Virus_v0.08.rar">http://rapidshare.com/files/123937612/Virus_v0.08.rar</a><!-- m -->

Make sure you change fire mode a lot now (Q), it actually works now due to weapon structure changes!
    If you happen to fall unconscious and can walk around please notify me. Also notify me if you can't move once you wake up.
    Anyway the next update will feature 2 new missions, a starting cutscene, some advanced AI and other stuff.
    #
    themados 15 years ago
    I don't know if this is wanted or not but you can't open automatic doors in strength mode and if you win the training in it it stuffs up and the guy won't move
    #
    harwe 15 years ago
    Uploaded to sig.
    I believe Str mode just pushes the walls on the side, not open doors.... and dunno about the training part...
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    "themados" said:
    I don't know if this is wanted or not but you can't open automatic doors in strength mode and if you win the training in it it stuffs up and the guy won't move
    Thanks for telling me.
    You can't open automatic doors because of a small bug I need to fix. It works by detecting if the player creature is nearby, but all the suit modes are different creatures so the door doesn't open. To fix your 'bug' simply change to armour when you're waiting to be led to your cell. Unfortunately this might mean starting again. But you can speed up the training gone wrong bit by shooting the leftmost target drone.
    Since the v0.08 release I've SCAR's burst fire and added some weapon customization. It only allows you to attach a silencer to your SCAR at this point, but more will be coming. I also have a lot of crazy plans for mission 1. It turns out the Dirk survived so you need to go to an enemy base with your buddies who are suited up in Advanced Combat System Suits just like you. Once you find Dirk you need to destroy the station and escape. I'm going to give the player the option to destroy the station almost however they like. Including explosives, vacuums, removing the oxygen, etc.

Edit update: You can now attach a silencer, laser sight and torch to your SCAR!
    Another edit update: You can now attach a silencer, laser sight and torch to your handgun too.
    Coming up next is my all time favourite weapon combo: Dual silenced pistols with laser sights.
    #
    themados 15 years ago
    no i mean when you beat training in strength mode when you come out of the the cutscene the guy in your cell won't open the door so you have to restart and you can't change to amour at that stage
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Progress update!
    I'm now making a cutscene! This cutscene will show after you escape from the epilogue section via escape pod. Here are some screenshots of the action. Downsized for my uploading and your downloading pleasure. Average image size is about 80kb.

As the pod goes along you see it accumulate more and more damage until it begins exploding and shaking all over the place. Then your buddies come to the rescue and blow the baddies up to kingdom come.

Both of themandos' bugs have been fixed and I've added some squad commands for suited buddies. You can command them to walk to a location, fire at a location, call an airstrike and change suit modes. The go to location code was really tough. I had to make the squadmate fire a creature which seeks to where you issued the command, dropping eat objects along the way.

Old post:
    Both door related bugs have been fixed!
    I've now made silencers and laser sights attachable to dual wielded handguns! I've also fix up the bug where you can't wield a weapon without some ammo in your clip. That means that you can reload a weapon without going to your inventory.
    #
    themados 15 years ago
    "Aegis" said:
    themandos

Its Themados no n
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Good news! My vacuum code is working fine (besides some minor bugs). Here are some pictures, cropped and uglified for my uploading and your downloading pleasure.
    [attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->1.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]
    Hmm. Nice station. Let's blow it to pieces.
    [attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->2.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
    Kaboom. Hey, looks. Those crates are moving into space! (I'm also aware that the fire would extinguish, so I'll fix it later)
    [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->3.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
    Hey? Are those walls on the right moving? Oh dear.
    I've also added the freeze-ray, spiced up a cutscene, added some neato music, added stuff to the store and added another combat training challenge.

OLD POST:
    Oops. Sorry. You may now call me Aagis for a while so we're equal
    Anyway I've finished the escape from the epilogue cutscene (complete with fiery smoke which looks pretty neat) and have also managed to remove the player carry icon from showing up. I've also added a starting cutscene and a tiny cutscene when you return from the epilogue. I've also added the MOlecular ARrestor (MOAR) from Crysis, which is a freeze ray for those who don't know. And now I'm working on mission 1, which will have 100% destructible terrain. I've made a destructible door and am now starting the level design and adding vacuum affects when you break a hole big enough into the station. And I've also made another combat training challenge and added a weapons/weapon add-ons store. Plus I've added some life to the base. They have a tendency to walk into walls though, so I'll add a lot of waypoints.
    #
    Gregg 15 years ago
    I'm just downloading it now. I can't believe I missed this mod. It looks great from the screenies. I haven't been this anxious of a mod since that desert Island one (which I forced from my memory after been so depressed...)
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Destructible Computers Update
    I've now made destructible computer which explode if they get shot at. They are also damaged by fire and the sprinklers. If they get wet then they'll zap electricity all over the place causing nearby stuff to explode and get damaged. This game just got a whole lot more dangerous. Here are some pretty pictures showing off the sprinklers, computers and spreadable fire.
    [attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->shot1.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->Shot2.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
    I've also fixed a bug with the shotgun.
    I might upload a video of this level in action. It'll probably last for only 20 seconds though.
    Check my sig for frequent updates on where I'm at in the modding.

PRETTIER EXPLOSIONS UPDATE:
    I've just made the explosions look a whole lot better. Previous explosions used limited particles and object graphics, while this uses a whole lot more. First off, it spawns a giant and star shaped particle on-screen for less than 10 milliseconds. It also creates a MASSIVELY BRIGHT light for 100 milliseconds. How bright? A torch in standard Notrium is 1 intensity unit in the light file. I set the explosion's light to 10 units. It also creates several bright balls of fire which fly through the air dropping smoke and fire. It also creates several spark which fly in all directions. It all looks very impressive. I couldn't hep putting in some of my fire starting code into this. So explosions start spreadable flames too! I've also optimised my mod even more in the form of making creatures which don't need AI to not calculate it then realise that they have no use for it. And instead of invisible bullets being empty texture files they are now just set to "none" which improves performance slightly. Now I'm working on destructible objects. I'll probably upload the explosion pics at the end of the month when my internet quota resets. Or maybe earlier.

FIRE SPRINKLERS UPDATE:
    I've added fire sprinklers which activate whenever fire is nearby. The fire sprinklers extinguish the fire after a while. I've re-balanced the shotgun, improved performance on the space station and have improved performance on all levels by removing invisible creature corpses from the game rather than staying there unnoticed) Now I'm working in computers and other equipment which short circuit and explode if a lot of water touches them. Sure, they might not explode in real life, but I like pretty explosions. Which reminds me, I'm going to add some particle effects and other things to make explosions much prettier.

OLD POST:
    I've begun work on my mod again after my 2+ month break of laziness. So far I've improved AI so they call for reinforcements if they see you, fixed a bug involving the dual handgun reloading, re-coloured the HUD, re-made the suit icons and have added a spreadable fire. Once a fire starts it begins to spread, stuff around it. I've limited the amount of spreading it can do so that it doesn't freeze everything. That happened to me twice... Unfortunately, with fully destructible walls, vacuums, fire, placed lighting and 200+ scripts there comes slowdown. I went from 60fps to 30fps. But that's only on the fully destructible mission. Here are my computers specs so you can estimate what it'll be like for you.
    3ghz single core.
    1gb 266mhz RAM
    128mb video card
    Notrium is at 1280x1024 with 32bit colours.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago

That is looking pretty wow. Keep it up.
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    New Update (24/01/09):
    -I've redone the lighting in the station (mission 1), making everything brighter.
    -I've made the station more aesthetically pleasing
    -I've actually added the objective to the station.
    -I've added more explosive and destructible things to the station
    -Your entrance to mission 1 is now a lot more intense. There are tonnes of enemies, but I've designed the level in your team's favour .
    -The station now has 2 light circuit centres. If you blow one up an entire section of the station goes pitch black until aux power turns on the lights, although dimmer than before.
    -Weapons now automatically reload when they're empty.
    -The handgun and SCAR now have their own individual reload sounds (harder than you think!)
    -The grenade is a little bit stronger.
    -Fixed a bug where you pick up SCAR ammo, yet nothing happens.
    -Made the escape from the epilogue cutscene better.
    -If you get damaged it no longer takes ages for your health to drain. Instead you drain really fast, but slow down when you have only 10 damage due to you for accuracy.
    -I've changed the suit mode icons. They now look more... hexagony
    -I've optimised all the .png files to make them smaller. But GIMP already optimises them pretty well so I only managed to subtract 500kb total .
    -Probably some more I forgot.
    Why doesn't anyone comment? I feel so lonely.
    I'll drop this mod if no-one cares...

Previous post:
    -I've improved fps again, this time managing to get about 15fps instead of 9fps when there's heaps of fire and particles and explosions, without sacrificing the graphics.
    -I've also made a destructible LCD TV (texture from Nameless mod) but I had to draw it myself for the destroyed texture. It's barely adequate ops:.
    -I've also added more chatter for the marines, and they can say 1 of 15 things when they reload .
    -I've also made it so that if the wreckage of a desk comes into contact with fire it will look burnt.
    -Plus I've hidden 2 Easter eggs in the level. They're pretty easy to find .
    The explosions are as pretty as ever, and with the great music booming out of the speakers it's an incredible experience.

Original Post:
    After 2 months I've decided to begin work on my mod again. I've improved my code so you'll get a 1 fps increase when everything's on fire and particles are everywhere. I've also ditched the first entry method to this level (you arrive in a crate) and instead made a giant, explosive teleport entrance. With awesome boss music from the game "Iji", which you may or may not know. I've also made marines give orders to each other while fighting, which is pretty neat. Right now I'm trying to make the AI confused at first in your super explosive teleport, because right now the react INSTANTLY to it, while the player is left confused. I also made a pretty funny bug by accidently adding a line where it shouldn't be. This bug fixed the camera to a random marine, gave flamethrowers to all the marines and made them all say "This is Sabre! I've managed to launch an escape pod but I'm under heavy fire!"
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Aegis, people care, although the most people who care are most likely guest or one-post members. You have to realize that you're not making mods for the forum community alone, but also for the people who download and enjoy Notrium wanting an expansion. People like that aren't going to post here. It's hard, I know, when you're not getting as much feedback as you would want, but if you keep having fun in modding I suggest you keep going.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    I always read your updates, even though I don't comment, because I feel like I shouldn't comment until I've actually tried the mod.

Trust me, people care.
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Virus Mod v0.09a
    Click here to download v0.09a
    Since I'm about halfway to the full v0.09 release I thought I should release an alpha version so that people can give feedback on the music, mission 1, the cutscenes and the new features. There's no changelog as I haven't recorded what I've done and there's way too much stuff to remember. The download is pretty hefty but the replayablity would be pretty good for mission 1. I also have part of mission 2 made with destructible trees and a dodgy jeep which can run things over. Just before you begin combat training there is a big heap of weapons which you can pick up and use for the rest of the game. Your weapons should be disabled while in your friendly space station. Remember to use Q to change fire modes! I put lots of effort into it!
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Hmm. Only 1 download after 3 days...
    Is the download size a problem? Just ask and I'll release a version without music, perhaps along with a music pack you can download later.
    Is the amount of content a problem? Don't worry, it has about 30 minutes of gameplay, plus probably that again if you decide to replay the first mission.
    Is it crap? Just tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it. You're the one going to play it, so you tell me what you want!
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    I was gonna check it out, even reinstalled Notrium to try it (Amongst some other mods) but I haven't found time yet. Soon... Very soon... you shall have TWO downloads!
    #
    harwe 15 years ago
    ugh, i hate rapidshare, uploaded to sig....
    #
    Aegis 15 years ago
    Now I have 3 downloads. Who else can boast about the amount of downloads of their game being tripled in a mere day?
    I've also a made lite version of my mod in case someone doesn't want the awesome music.
    I may also make an Ultra Lite version which less and lower-res textures.

Lite Version
    Click here for v0.09a without music

P.S. Feel free to laugh at my artistic skill, or lack thereof.
    #
    Forum » Virus mod- v0.09a Lite version now available!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: