Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Programming Questions

Programming Questions

SWATLLAMA 10 years ago
There are lot's of other topics, but the last post in most of those was from when I was a wee llama lad.
- I know you use C++, but how much C++ have you found that you need to know before you can start making a game with reasonably efficient code? I have ~ 1 college semester experience in C++.
- What graphics libraries are you using? DirectX, OpenGL, or something else?
- What do you think of Python for game-making? Since it's interprative, does that slow down the run-time? I've done one major python project and thought well of it, but the only graphics were a GUI with TKinter.
#
NeoGangster 10 years ago
It all depends on you.
If you want to start with DirectX or OpenGL then go for it. If you want some low level stuff done for you then you should look at SFML or similiar libraries. If you want even more done for you then you should look at Unity, the Unreal Engine or something along those lines.
Your code doesn't need to be as efficient/fast as you might think so just use what seems right for you.
I would suggest you try to do a snake or pong clone first or something along those lines. Then you can start bigger projects but you should keep it managable(max one week games) or you might get frustrated.
Game development contests are a nice motivator ;D (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/)

Edited 10 years ago
#
ville 10 years ago
These days I'm directing everyone to Unity. It's free to get started with, works multiplatform, uses the excellent C# language. Plus it's a requirement for many studios these days if you're ever looking for work. I use it at work for educational games, and I use it at home for Driftmoon. But like they always said in programming lessons back in my school days, there is no silver bullet. Unity has many flaws indeed, so prepare to be irritated.

And of course, if you're looking at making an RPG, use the Driftmoon editor! It even has a sort of a programming language.
#
SWATLLAMA 10 years ago
Loved Driftmoon .
I've heard of Unity and I think I've played some works made in it. It's an editor, but also an engine, right? That means that I'd be building off a very general engine, wouldn't it?
I didn't know it was becoming a standard in the industry though, so thanks, I'll definitely try to get started with it.

Thanks Neogangster, Ludum Dare seems like a great way to get motivation to do a complete project.
#
ville 10 years ago
Unity is a general engine, it has support for graphics, sounds, input, physics, and a lot on top of that. The reason I recommend using something like that, is simply that if you're interested in making a game, there's simply no time to make an engine. If you're purely interested in making an engine, then there's no time to make a game!
#
Forum » Programming Questions

Your email:
Your name: