Register
Email: Password:
Forum » RP discussion
  • « previous
  • » next
  • RP discussion

Idiota 16 years ago
    Well, technically it's not discussion yet, but I can imagine that it'll be the fate of this thread once we start. Anyway, I'll give you some information about the thing, starting with the setting.

The year is 2267, and that's a year that'll go in any and all history books later on. Man has conquered all obstacles thrown at them since the initial invention of the Interplanetary drive, and the entire system is in the process of being terraformed into a habitable planet. The system counts 5 bodies that would pass as planets, of which 2 are gas giants. The planet humans originally came from is named Versillo, and it's the 2nd planet in orbit around the star Gabraith, which is a yellow dwarf. To find out the reason why 2267 will be such a memorable year, we'll set the scope a bit backwards.

Back in 2067, experiments were being conducted to replace parts of the brain with machinery to speed up the thinking process. Initially, it was a huge success. Even people who had stained severe damage in certain brain areas could be fully cured from what would normally be a permanent affliction. Ofcourse, like every new technology there were just people who tried to go as far as they can. A small section of the scientists who invented the type of machinery needed started to replace more and more of their brain with machinery. However, after replacing most of their critical brain areas with machinery, the people just no longer felt human anymore. It was as if they were lifted to a new level of consciousness where there were no emotions, no instincts. Only ratio survived. This process would later be known as the Transenlightenment.

The scientists who had conducted these experiments then unanimously decided that they would have to spread the Transenlightenment to other people. They called themselves the conjoiners, and from 2068 to 2075 they would quickly bolster their numbers until the point where they realized that they could not hide their movement much longer. In large enough numbers to occupy a small country, they moved to the uninhabited north pole of Versillo and made their base there. They didn't need luxury or expensive homes due to their lack of emotion, so they settled with a military style base. From here, they launched raids to the populated areas, and abducted people in order to 'force feed' them with the machinites until they were one of their own.

It took a very long time before the planet authorities found out who was behind the kidnappings. In fact, they weren't classified 'kidnappings' at all. After the Transenlightenment, the abductees willingly wrote letters to their relatives explaining that they wouldn't come back. However, when the authorities finally did notice, it was already far too late to settle things peacefully. All conjoiners were outlawed, and a large military force was send to the north pole by 2135. However, after a long battle, this force was outsmarted and wiped out. After recieving word from their defeat, Kevin Morgg, counsil chairman, proposed to drop the bomb on the conjoiners. The proposal passed with 117 out of 220 votes, a close call.

However, there were many unforeseen consequences. The explosion and the heat from the fusion bomb ripped the north pole in half, sending the two halves drifting away to warmer areas. The sudden movement provoked a tsunami unlike any that has ever been seen, millions of people died. The seperated blocks of ice melted, flooding most coastal settlements. This unfortunate incident would be know as The Unfortunateness.

After The Unfortunateness, people lost all faith in their government. Rebellion, protests and terrorist attacks were common for years, until the year of 2178. On a certain day, 2 ships appeared from outer space, into orbit around the globe. The ships fired upon the planet, destroying most military bases and major cities as if they were flies. The Versillo authorities quickly retaliated by launching several nuclear missiles at the ship, but they were destroyed by interceptor missiles. When most of the planet's defenses were taken down, the ships spawned massive amounts of dropships. It wasn't even a war. Within a matter of hours, 60% of the planet was either prisoner or dead, and by the end of the week, all resistance was tossed aside and the planet enslaved. The invaders were dubbed by the Versillians as Outworlders. They were highly intelligent jellyfish would be the most accurate term to describe them, but they were cruel. Their bodies were made mostly from what looked like water, buth they had implants to allow the breathing of oxygen.

The enslavement lasted for well over half a century, untill both of the ships suddenly retreated from the planet. The people took this chance to organise a rebellion. They were secretely plotting and planning, until the ultimate chance arose to drop down their tools and raid military installations on a global scale. The Outworlders were massively outnumbered, but took millions of lives before succumbing nevertheless. After the enslavers were killed and burned, the people studied their technology, and learned from it several new scientific methods. With it, they could start developing the antimatter drive, which would allow for faster spacefaring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the story from the Versillian perspective. I have not provided any details on any major events on purpose, we will be able to fill that in as we go. Now, you should also know some things the Versillians don't.

The conjoiners had managed to optimise Fusion technology in their ship's engines long before the other Versillians, and they had evacuated the north pole just as the nuke hit it. It was a small ship, however, so the trip to the nearest planet was quite long. The planet was called Loindred, famous for it's white color. This was because the entire planet was covered in ice, save a few places where mountains pierced the ice due to vulcanic activity. The ship landed near one of the biggest mountains, where they found the raw materials needed to rebuild their base. They decided that the best way to build a big ship was in space, so that's where they build a massive shipyard and build The Chaos and The Order, ships bigger than man could ever dream of.

So when the invaders finally came, you can imagine that the conjoiners were better capable of defending themselves. The Outworlders reasoned that the relatively low radio activity on the planet meant that there were less humans there to enslave, so they decided to send only a smaller ship that way. Battle ensued between the two forces. Order and Chaos were bigger, but the Outworlder ship had far superior weapons and technology. In the end, the conjoiners were victorious, and they could use new technologies to improve and repair the 2 ships.

It was around this time that the 2 battleships left Versillo for Loindred. and, in 2240, it finally came down to the big battle. Even the emotionless conjoiners felt a hint of tension when the Outworlder ships slowly approached them. The Order was winning his duel with the enemy battleship, but a fault in the Chaos' evasive patterns invoked a direct hit from the enemy ship, tearing the hull to pieces. Luckily, most of the hull was unmanned because they had no passengers, but the ship lost most of it's weapon systems. A moments later the Order finalized a complicated maneuver to evade it's main enemy's fire and also score a direct hit against the enemy warship. This turned out to be the turning point in the battle, and the 2 ships fled the system using there antimatter drives.

The year is now 2263. The Versillians regained much of their lost ground in the past years, having build up a single fleet around there one battleship, the Undeath (symbol of their ressurection). They now call themselves The Versillo Coalition. The conjoiners spend their years repairing their own ships, building fleets around them. Now, tensions between the two forces are rising as they both set out to colonise the other planets in the system...
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    The RP
    Some basic information about how this RP works

The idea is, and has been for a while now, that we're basically the protagonists of a story that will slowly unfold itself. The way it unfolds is entirely up to us, the players, allthough I am the one who sets things in motion at the beginning of each chapter. Between each chapter I may or may not decide to skip time a bit and summarise the events. I will try to prevent this as much as I can, but sometimes we just have to skip half a century or so for things to get interesting again. If it does happen, you will have to narrate your own character's progression. It might happen that players of a certain faction start with a disadvantage. This is entirely the case in even the 1st chapter, since the Conjoiners have a spare fleet. But for the first chapter itself it does not matter, since it involves only one of the fleets. (If you're still thinking of making a conjoiner, make sure he's in the same fleet as MageKing17's character, otherwise you won't have anything to do in the beginning). I might add more on this subject later because I can't really predict myself how things will be in a few weeks.

It might not have been entirely obvious, but there is also the option of making a footsoldier character. He'd be stationed in a boarding pod in one of the bigger ships (flagship, carrier, destroyer, cruiser (and if you really insist I might allow them on frigates as well)), which allows for a more action-oriented writing style. Character death is, ofcourse, a lot more frequent as a footsoldier.

The player

-Combat
    It might happen that you find yourself on the opposite side of a battlefield with another player. There aren't necessarily rules that decide who wins, but there are some basic pointers I can give you:

[list]
    Size does matter. Don't try to attack a player's frigate (or any frigate) in a fighter or you will die (more of that later).
    Reinforcements. If you attack the same frigate with a fighter flanked by 2 bomber squads, then you will have a large chance of winning the fight, depending on the weaponry and assistance the frigate has.
    HP. There's not really an HP bar in the RP ofcourse, but if your ship has been damaged by previous encounters, then there's a bigger chance of the other player winning.
    Ship load-out. If your fighter has long range weaponry for taking out slower moving targets (like bombers), and you're faced by a fighter with dogfighting weaponry, then you're more likely to lose the battle.
    [/list:u]
    Can't think of anything else atm. And I might have used fighters to illustrate myself, but these rules apply to larger ships as well.

A player is allways very talented and skilled in what he does, unless you don't want him to be. You can also narrate in a way that makes him look less skilled, but with more luck or tactics or whatever. You character should be progressing during the story, not die an honorless death in a dogfight against some farmerboy.

-Player death

Players do die in this RP. But I'll clarify myself a bit. If your ship is destroyed, you have 2 options:

[list]
    Your character survived in an escape pod.
    Your character died in the explosion.[/list:u]
    In case of the latter, you are dead and you will have to wait for the end of the chapter to make a new character. In case of the first, then you just made an impressive gamble. If your faction wins the battle, then your pod will be retrieved and you can continue playing with only a minor dent in your pride. If your faction loses, however, then your pod is captured by the enemy. If you're with the VC, and you're captured by the conjoiners, then they will convert you to their side (There is no preventing this). If you're with the conjoiners, then you'll die (It's technically impossible to removed the machinery from the brains, but if you think that this isn't fair then I might allow the converting of conjoiners as well).

Anymore I need to add?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Ok people, the main story is up, and there's now time for you to post the characters you'll be playing here. I'll post a few rules here.

[list] You can pick from the 2 factions, or you can assume the role of freelancer.
    If you are in a faction's military, you are not allowed to be of higher rank than captain of a frigate sized ship, or fighter pilot in one of the flagships.
    If you are not in a faction's military, then you may not be in the possession of any military vessel at the start of the game. This applies to freelancers as well.
    If you are a freelancer, you can later choose to join any of the 2 human factions. Until then, expect unfriendly reactions from both. Expect hostile reactions from the outworlders.
    The average fleet has 1 battleship (Flagship), 2 destroyers, 2 carriers, 4 cruisers and 7 frigates. The battleship and the carriers all carry an equal amount of fighters.
    All ships use a fusion drive as it is currently the only type of drive available. As of weaponry, most battleship and destroyer class ships use high powered lasers to fire upon enemy battleships. They also have smaller lasers to target smaller ships. Smaller ships use either smaller lasers or railguns to take down their targets. Fighters are equipped with small missiles and projectile weaponry. Bombers have small nuclear warheads to dumb on larger enemy ships.
    As for other technology, people commonly have implants that allow them to communicate with computers without keyboard or mouse, and conjoiners have implants that allow them to speak with other conjoiners through a wireless connection. Also, their thought process is sped up to allow for faster decision making. Other implants are also common, use your imagination.
    I want this to become a story with many chapters, so perhaps we will, after this conflict is settled, be able to move on to the next chapter.[/list:u]

If you want to comment on any of these rules or propose additions or adjustments, feel free to post.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    quadruple post omg... Anyway, I /guess/ I'll have to start off. Bear in mind that it doesn't have to be a 10000 word description, you can roleplay a lot of your past and personality.

Name: Warren Delorge
    Faction: Versillian Coalition
    Job: Fighter Pilot
    Ship: 1st fleet's 'Panopticon', carrier, model VCC1
    Background: Born during the economic rebuilding of Versillo, he lived in a good time for the people. Everyone had a set goal before them: To rebuild. To become stronger. There were little politics involved to get something done, and he never got to see the bad side of humanity. Now, heated debates have risen over what to do next, and Warren is introduced in a world he hadn't known before. People gossiping about their superiors, trying to beg their way up. It made Warren a horribly pessimistic and straightforward character.

This is all I ask you to write. There's no big deal about it, please write your character as fast as possible, and I think we'll be ready to start next week, on Wednesday, once I made up my mind about the start (Expect the start to be early, unless something comes up, in which case I will post about it.)
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    First off, FIRST POST!!!

Secondly, "The Unfortunateness"?

Thirdly, I'd like to make a Conjoiner character, but the total lack of emotion (which is completely illogical) pretty much eliminates all but a few roleplaying possibilities.

Fourthly, "The Unfortunateness"? Seriously, WTF?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    First off, FIRST POST!!!
    Zamg no wai
    "MageKing17" said:
    Secondly, "The Unfortunateness"?
    Fourthly, "The Unfortunateness"? Seriously, WTF?
    So far I've had one person who liked it and one person who didn't like it... twice.
    "MageKing17" said:
    Thirdly, I'd like to make a Conjoiner character, but the total lack of emotion (which is completely illogical) pretty much eliminates all but a few roleplaying possibilities.

Nono, not a complete lack of emotion. They just have the ability to fully supress those emotions at will. They can still enjoy a pretty view, or get angry, etc. Did I write it like that? Stupid me...
    #
    Murska 16 years ago
    Name: Derek Schöner
    Faction: Versillian Coalition
    Job: Fighter Pilot
    Ship: 1st fleet's 'Panopticon', carrier, model VCC1
    Backround: He was born into a normal family in a rather peaceful area. He was an adventurous spirit all along, and didn't really get along with his family. They didn't like his decision to join the army, but he did it nevertheless. He got trained as a fighter pilot, and met Warren when their fighter wing was created. They quickly became friends, although they were rather different in personality. Derek is often in a happy mood, and jokes around with the other pilots.

I contemplated making another Kevry, to doom this one to failure too, but decided not to.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    I just hope these are valid:

Name: Sajur Kõen (I know the name sucks)
    Faction: Versillo Coalition
    Job: Electronics and Mechanics Engineer
    Background: Sajur lived disgracefully when acquiring his knowledge. The same thing happens to the current days, as he spends all of his time building and managing all fleets of sector 4. The many years he stood on the job makes him feel highly pressured. The fact is that Sajur's behaviour differed a lot to all common beings. Apart from other people, he is brave, but weak. Intelligent, but has a low academic value. In addition, he is rarelly happy.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    That a portugese õ?

[EDIT] Ofcourse it's a portugese õ, you idiot. [/EDIT]
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    That a portugese õ?

So it doesn't exist in any other language? Didn't really know that.
    The name isn't actually portuguese, however.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Name: Alan Yeckman
    Faction: Conjoiner
    Job: Starship Captain
    Ship: 3rd fleet's "Tigershark", frigate, model LNF3
    Background: One of the new generation to be born on Loindred, Alan demonstrated an aptitude for tactical thinking and enlisted in the Navy. He served as tactical officer on three ships before being given his own command, the frigate Tigershark. He has a tendency to point out flaws in his superior's plans, resulting in simultaneous gratitude and aggravation, partly due to an annoyance that they didn't see the flaw themselves.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    I'd like to appeal to those who haven't created a character yet: We need some more conjoiners. C'mon, they're not that bad and whacky! (You can still choose your faction ofcourse.)
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "Crazy" said:
    That a portugese õ?

So it doesn't exist in any other language? Didn't really know that.
    The name isn't actually portuguese, however.
    It does, actually. That's why i asked. But then i remembered you're Portuguese, to it's rather obviously a Portuguese õ.

[EDIT] I propose we use Alcubierre drive for faster-than-light travel.

The Alcubierre drive is the closest physical theory to the star trek warp drive. Most importantly, it does not create any time dilation and therefore is the most comfortable to fit into story-telling. I think that we should imply that the "certain quantum inequalities conjectured by Ford and Roman" do not hold.

Ofcourse, this wouldn't give our RP any scientific background, we just get to use shiny terminology to make us feel like we do.

And, by my proposal, the Alcubierre drive does not have to be the only form of faster-than-light travel. Just don't forget to use fancy words when you describe yours.

Now here's me adding some color to this if it were to pass:

The first criticism described in the wikipedia article (link given, you need to read the criticism to understand what the hell i'm on about) is true with a few but-s, creating two kinds of faster-than-light travel.

The first is a smaller device (though it's still the size of a small room. I guess it would not be unthinkable to fit one to large fighters and bombers.) for interplanetary travel. Since there is no time dilation, the device simply measures the time it is in warp and stops when it reaches it's destination. More powerful devices would create a quicker travel, but i think that we should make the difference very small, the weakest device would traverse 1 AU within 2 minutes, the fastest would take 1,7 minutes to go the same distance. This would make the speed of you interplanetary drive more of a tactical consideration, not giving any bonus to traders or the such. Also, larger ships would require larger drives, with the minimal being some 5x5m (maybe a more expensive variant for smaller craft that is 3x3m), that is capable of jumping a ship up to 50 m long and with a diameter of 20 m. The amount of ship it can warp grows twice as fast as it's own size.

The second is a much larger device (say, minimally 20x30m, the size of a small fighter) capable of warping a ship 540% larger than itself. The amount of ship it can warp grows 1,3 times as fast as it's own size. The speed of this interstellar drive is insignificant as any travel is almost instant. Smaller ships, such as frigates could have some sort of thing they dock with that is just a separate interstellar drive. This gives the ship more maneuverability when not attached. Used mostly by military ships, traders that can afford an interstellar drive can usually afford a ship large enough to fit it in.

Now, since non-warp travel is always cooler because it has rockets, i propose that the destination of both devices is easily trackable, requiring a certain distance from any enemy to make a safe jump. The interstellar drive can be stealthed, however, as this is much more viable with such large ships than the increase in speed. Oh. And the size of these devices would not make a missile using the Alcubierre drive viable.[/EDIT]
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    I think that the speeds you propose are a bit too fast, Crazy. The theory is interesting, however... It is very much open to discussion people, since we won't be using the interstellar drive yet.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Yes, i forgot to mention that the interstellar drive would be unusable at this point (chapter?) in the game.

I also forgot to mention the small detail of why there are two separate drives (yes, i'm an idiot). As you can read, the interplanetary drive measures time and then stops when it reaches it's destination. The interstellar drive would require a pre-placed node to stop because it's speed is not as stable. A kind of warpgate, even though there's no actual gate, just a machine that tells you to stop. But whatever, that's just me on an idea rant.

But if you said that this is far too fast, we can simply enough slow the warp drive down. Way down. What did you have in mind, Idiota?

Agh, i totally got ahead of our level of technology. I propose we make the interplanetary drive as large as the interstellar drive.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Well, getting anywhere in the system in under half an hour isn't my idea fairness. I propose that this is the technology that's currently still under development, and will be introduced later. When it eventually does get introduced, I think a speed of 1 AU per 5 minutes is reasonable, with a computing time of 10 minutes or less, depending on the location (If the ship computer has the location stored, it takes about 2 seconds to look it up, but since the amount of calculations required is so large, you can't store many locations). I'll be posting the information post now, with a couple of rules that you might like or might not like. In case of the latter, do speak up.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    I think a speed of 1 AU per 5 minutes is reasonable, with a computing time of 10 minutes or less, depending on the location (If the ship computer has the location stored, it takes about 2 seconds to look it up, but since the amount of calculations required is so large, you can't store many locations).
    I don't think a storage-based limitation makes sense (I mean, imagine how much data the military could store on a spaceship now if it was necessary. I'm thinking a few hundred terrabytes, at least. And besides which, storing a location doesn't help if your own location is unknown in relation to the stored location.

So instead, I say you can store loads of locations... the limiting factor is you also store your current location with respect to that location. The computer automatically tracks various cosmic drifts in the various directions, but you still have to line up the two points to make a jump between them. Thoughts?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    That sounds like a more reasonable explanation to me.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Thinking about this some, and I thought I'd spell this out a bit more explicitly so as to eliminate any possible confusion on how such FTL drives would work, if/when they were introduced to the game.

The computer takes a local reference point (planet, asteroid, star, whatever the closest, largest mass is) and a destination reference point, then performs a bunch of tedious jump calculations. The results of these calculations are stored in the computer, as a route from the local reference point to the distant one. Since the crucial necessity for the jump is the reference point, the location of your ship relative to the reference point is largely irrelevant; the computer simply adds on your relative position to the local reference point, making transit possible from anywhere in the local area of the reference point. Get too far away, however, and the calculations become largely invalid, and will have to be redone from a new local point. Your exit point relative to the distant reference point is similar.

In more simple terms, if you were to jump from Earth to Mars, it wouldn't matter if you were hovering over Africa or flying above the North Pole... the local reference point (Earth) is close enough that the distance between you and it can be accounted for easily. Your destination is likewise entirely up to you... pop out over Mons Olympus or above the Cydonia Mensae, it does not matter, the distance between the various potential points in orbit and the reference point (Mars itself) is insignificant to the jump calculations.

As always, thoughts welcome.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    [OT]You know you've read too much SF if you know exactly what the Mons Olympus and the Cydonia Mensae are...[/OT]

So the board computer would have a relatively easy time calculating jumps within the system, or from system to system, but a harder time when there are no reference points around except the stars? (interstellar space)
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Actually, what i had in mind with interplanetary drives was that you tell your computer where you want to go, then the computer points your ship towards that point and instantly begins traversing the spacewaves at FTL speeds. Or well, start accelerating to FTL speeds (i've always wanted it to be a smooth change, not some gate thing). There really isn't a whole lot to calculate if the position of your ship is known. And to counter the fact that your ship can escape so easily, i proposed the whole tracking thing. Interceptor follows you, tracks your jump, fighters with FTL capability jump in after you, you're still screwed. Unless you've made the decision on spending extra and getting a faster warp drive plus batteries for a second jump and just jump out from where you jumped to before the fighters jump in to jump you.

We also need to figure out more synonyms to "warp" and "jump".
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    Well, I'd originally written "hyperspace calculations", but then I remembered it wasn't a hyperdrive.

And yes, Idiota, that was pretty much how I'd imagined it, except that the routes would only be valid in "reference point pairs"... you could have a route between Earth and Mars stored and between Earth and Venus stored, but a jump between Venus and Mars would require fresh calculations. Something like that.
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    I pretty tired of FTL travel, espesially warp drive style FTL. Can't we have a RP leaning towards hard science fiction for once?

Anyway, I'm back, and my character is under development.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    FTL travel is something for the future, Gemini. It'll take a while for humanity to reach the point where FTL travel is possible, so for now we're sticking to rock-solid physics to determine travel times.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    Name: Edward H43R17
    Faction: Conjoiner
    Job: Marine Captain, Black Ops sniper
    Ship: 3rd fleet's "Hyperion", carrier, model P4
    Background: Edwards parents being one of the more active proponents of conjoining, even going so far as do drop their first and last name, Edward was born as H43R17, but later adopted the extra name "Edward". From his early years he showed an aptitude to patience and situational awareness, later joining the Conjoiner Marine unit and earning a good name with his steady hand. Though also the sniper in the Black Ops, his main task is amongst the first landing/assault battalion "Bloodhounds" stationed on the "Hyperion" as a team leader and captain. His combat capability has risen to amazing levels in his time with the army.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Gemini and Zombie, don't wait too long with posting your character today. Not gonna wait forever, ya know?

[EDIT]Postponing the start to tomorrow, still waiting for 2 possible appliccants and something's come up anyway, so hold your horses.[/EDIT]
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Ok, had a conversation with Gemini, who will instead join us next chapter (perhaps), so I'll write the prologue Friday, this time fo sho.
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Idiota" said:
    Admiral Lorington glanced over the proposal once more. After all, it was his fleet that would be send to the outskirts of the system, not admiral Operin's.

So... is Lorington in charge of 3rd Fleet (in other words, am I in Lorington's fleet)?

Yes

"MageKing17" said:
    "Idiota" said:
    That was 3 years 2 months and 6 days ago, the admiral concluded. 3.5 revolutions around the sun, plus 6 rotations of Versillo.

So a year is only four months long (3 years + 2 months = 3.5 revolutions)?

Yes. Isn't this far more logical than having 12 months?

"MageKing17" said:
    "Idiota" said:
    People would begin to harvest their outdoor crops normally. Ofcourse, there was no such thing on his own home planet. All they had was ice.

So... hydroponics? Or what?

People would begin to harvest their outdoor crops normally.

"MageKing17" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    The conjoiners will be planning an attack, where the Versillian Coalition expects them to send an missionary. This doesn't mean that the entire fleet is cought off-guard, however, and both parties are drilling their forces for war.

So we'll get a brief moment of surprise as the enemy fleet reacts to the unexpected turn of events, but once that's over they'll behave pretty normally?

That is correct. It allows for some planning from your side.
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    All ships use a fusion drive as it is currently the only type of drive available. As of weaponry, most battleship and destroyer class ships use high powered lasers to fire upon enemy battleships. They also have smaller lasers to target smaller ships. Smaller ships use either smaller lasers or railguns to take down their targets. Fighters are equipped with small missiles and projectile weaponry. Bombers have small nuclear warheads to dumb on larger enemy ships.
    Boarding ships - yes or no?
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Idiota" said:
    People would begin to harvest their outdoor crops normally. Ofcourse, there was no such thing on his own home planet. All they had was ice.

So... hydroponics? Or what?

People would begin to harvest their outdoor crops normally.
    I was referring to Loindred. If the Versillian Coalition gets their food by farming, and Loindred is covered totally in ice, do the conjoiners use hydroponics for their food?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    I guess. They can't eat ice, you know.
    #
    MageKing17 16 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Also, it might be a good idea if you guys posted suggestions for the outcome of the fight. There's no one who's going to decide the outcome just like that. You should ask yourself, what type of society does humankind need to battle the eventual return of the Outworlders (Both the VC society and the conjoiner society have their pros and cons), how do you want your character to progress, etc.
    I think it's about time we did this.

Personally, I think either side will be capable of simply battling the Outworlders, but as for greater kill/lose ratios and long-term survivability, we know too little about either one. Perhaps we should post some ideas about the societies before we decide which one is "better".

Or we could get right down into the prejudicial "mine's better" stuff.

I think Conjoiners should win, because we're obviously superior with our advanced cybernetics and direct communication, and the VC is just a bunch of losers.

;P
    #
    The Gemini 16 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Idiota" said:

I think Conjoiners should win, because we're obviously superior with our advanced cybernetics and direct communication, and the VC is just a bunch of losers.
    Yea, Idiota, about this. The Conjoiners seems to be superior to the VC. Not to mention they have a bigger fleet. Is it so that the VC have a bigger economy, or what?
    #
    Idiota 16 years ago
    Well, if the VC wins, then the conflict between them and the conjoiners will escalate further, with 2 sides pretty much equal to each other. But if the conjoiners win, it's pretty much all over for the VC, because that was their only fleet. So if the conjoiners win, the story will progress to the showdown with the outworlders much faster. But if people prefer hard SF, then letting the VC win will allow us to dwell in this age a bit longer.

And I think the VC should win because we're more human and the conjoiners are just calculative pussies.

"Gemini" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    "I think Conjoiners should win, because we're obviously superior with our advanced cybernetics and direct communication, and the VC is just a bunch of losers.

Yea, Idiota, about this. The Conjoiners seems to be superior to the VC. Not to mention they have a bigger fleet. Is it so that the VC have a bigger economy, or what?

The conjoiners are currently superior to the VC due to their second fleet. The advantage the VC have is the advantage of numbers and the scale at which they can produce new things. (their second fleet is done after this conflict, pretty much. At least, that's how I had envisioned it.)
    #
    Crazy 16 years ago
    I'd actually like the VC to win as the conjoiners are far too calculative to be RPd effectively. Cyborgs, yes, conjoiners no.

In another age, i'd rather like the humans to be VC than conjoiners.
    #
    Forum » RP discussion
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: