Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Revolution of Indy Games ? (XNA)

The Revolution of Indy Games ? (XNA)

Quanrian 16 years ago
So here we have it, it's finally here, a low cost development suite for a very strong console. XNA is by far the most promising thing to happen to Indy development in a long time. I've been extremely impressed that M$ has continued to push to get the Indy developers out of the proverbial closet and give them just as much of a shot as any big developer, and on a mainstream console to boot.

Recently and most importantly, M$ added a new feature to their XNA component of Live. This component in short lets you play user made content 'without' a membership. Currently all you can download are some demos, but I can't stress how small a move it is to go from demos to full blown freeware games that we can all be playing on our 360s. This is definitely the stride in the right direction I've been waiting to see 'any' big company make.

This is all open for speculation, but I think if you check out the demos you can see there is some real promise. One thing that's debatable is how M$ will turn a profit off of any of this, because I don't just expect them to offer their server space for nothing. I do know in at least one of the 8 demos showcased, that it will be turning into an actual Xbox Live Arcade game for sale. My main hope is that we get a crapload of at least decent quality games on the 360. I've even discussed the possibility of porting Cormoon to XNA at various junctures. Wouldn't it be kewl to see Cormoon or maybe even Notrium 2 on the 360 ?
#
Idiota 16 years ago
That would totally kick ass, agreed (And I don't even own a 360!), but exactly how do you get your content on Live?
#
NeoGangster 16 years ago
well what's cool about xna is the easy portability from pc to xbox 360 and vice versa
#
E_net4 16 years ago
This thread has hereby forced me to Wiki-search on XNA.
Apart from that, I wouldn't be benefited from that, since I don't have a 360.
#
Amarth 16 years ago
"NeoGangster" said:
well what's cool about xna is the easy portability from pc to xbox 360 and vice versa
Windows and Xbox 360, for as long as Microsoft supports it.

XNA = vendor lock in. Not for me.
#
Quanrian 15 years ago
I finally got XP on my PC, and actually got to try XNA for myself. It's not too bad, and if I actually knew how to program I think I could make stuff pretty quick with it. The main thing I'm noticing though, is that the nicer stuff made with it, as expected, is using prebuilt engines and aren't built from the ground up like you'd see with C+. Still I think there is some definite potential here and several Indy XNA games have been published already. Hating it just because of Microsoft is silly, especially when you look at the publishers out there, and see EA is basically trying to buy everyone still.
#
Forum » The Revolution of Indy Games ? (XNA)

Your email:
Your name: