Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Simulated Ecosystem Help

Simulated Ecosystem Help

JDIZZLE 15 years ago
Heyo there was a post before asking about this which sparked my interest but the question was never answered. Soooo, is it somehow possible to simulate population size and a foodchain in a Notrium mod? If so i want to implement it into my first mod.
#
Narvius 15 years ago
Of course it's possible.

If there are at least three Notrium Modding overminds working on it.
At *least*.
#
JDIZZLE 15 years ago
ha ha point taken. I'v spent a few hours reading everything i can find about Notrium modding and I really don't want to be one of MANY who start a mod and don't finish. So i will probably just shuffle this idea to the back of my mind until i'm an expert =]
#
Nocture17 15 years ago
It can be done, I've looked into it for the Expansion several times.

You need:

1: A side for every animal on the foodchain, they cannot share sides. This in itself limits the potential biodiversity.
2: The eat command doesn't work with corpses, so instead, a programmed on-death drop for each creature.
3: Because there's only one possible eat command, each animal can have exactly one prey creature/item, and one predator creature, to get around this, there's always the option of using a "proximity" type script, though whether that works smoothly with items is dubious.
4: Notrium is unfortunately slightly loose when it comes to sticking to maximum populations, but the general figure is notionally in place in every spawner in the game.

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be worthwhile investing effort into it unless that was the entire theme of the mod.
#
JDIZZLE 15 years ago
Awesome just what i wanted. I don't want to make any extreme claims that my mod won't live up to but yea the ecosystem will be one of the main features so i will definitely try this out. Thanks for the response.
#
roburky 15 years ago
Instead of using Notrium's hardcoded eating stuff, you could simply have a predator get the effects of eating whenever it kills its prey, making the assumption that it ate it.
#
JDIZZLE 15 years ago
Good idea, i was thinking about using your "triggered death" thing to infkunce a species' population bar number which would in turn affect that particular species' spawner. I don't know how possible this is because of my lack of experience but it seems simple enough and it would allow for extinction of a species! Which could be a bad thing but w/e it sounds awesome so i'll fiddle with the idea over the next couple days. I'm gonna be dedicating myself to my Stargate mod for the next couple weeks. In any programming project though, i find it easier to work out a problem on my main project if i can just bounce to a side project for a little while.
#
Forum » Simulated Ecosystem Help

Your email:
Your name: