Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Dwarves and their Ancestors
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Dwarves and their Ancestors

Idiota 15 years ago
    "Athel Oddomkol? Athel, please step forward." A dwarf stepped forward from the crowd. His muscles showed extensively even though he was wearing fully covering clothes. The dwarf appeard to want to walk straight through the town elder for a moment, but came to a halt in front of him. The elder continued speaking: "Athel, the community thanks you for the work you have done in digging an excellent sewage and drainage system. For years, our community's growth polluted the streets with it's increasing amounts of garbage and feces. Your dedication to cleaning up the streets has earned our full respect." As the elder stopped speaking, the whole crowd stood up and started applauding. After everyone was seated again, the elder spoke: "For your hard work, the council has agreed that you are to be rewarded. I think it would be no more than our duty to give you the oppertunity to create your own future. You have been granted a suitable property in a faraway land. The council looks forward to a succesful relationship between your would-be fortress and our own community." Once more, the crowd applauded.

That night, Athel had a dream. He had a vision of a magnificent fortress. A fortress that he would name Nithalal, Hammerempire. It would be a place that held hundreds of dwarves, that would last through time, through sieges and droughts. It would grow to hold the Dwarven royal family, and to craft some of the greatest artifacts in Dwarven history. Then the image disappeared. He now stood before a group of dwarves. The dwarves were wearing finely crafted clothing, giving them authority. Athel was suddenly struck with both awe and fear, and he dropped to his knees. He barely managed to speak a few words: "W-who are you?" Then the dwarves started speaking as one: "We are your ancestors. We have been watching you, Athel. You are a driven dwarf, seeking to make name of themselves. We once had an attitude like yours, and we created fortresses even greater than the one you just saw. But after we died, we could only watch how the places we lived to create, crumbled into ruin." The ancestors stepped closer to Athel, and he could feel his fear take the better of him. The dwarves continued speaking "But our dream lives on, Athel. A dream of a magnificent fortress that would be known throughout dwarven history. You were given the oppertunity to do this, and through you, we will make our dream come true. We are immortal, we can guide not only you, but in time, your people as well. We do not care for you, your people, or your dream, just our own success" As the ancestors came to a halt just a few inches in front of him, Athel could feel only fear.

"Firstly, you will gather companions to travel to your new property. When you arrive there, you will build us a statue through which we can channel our power to guide you and your people. After that, we will reign once more" Athel stood up and bowed. Now, there was only obedience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you guessed right. The ancestors, that's us. I chose for us a location that has the recources to make steel, I already checked, they are indeed present. We have flux stone (Chalk end Limestone), and Magnetite (iron ore) and Lignite (fuel). I think the location is quite ideal, and I'll start making a fortress tomorrow (I'm quite ill, cold and I wanna go to bed). The order of players will be:

Idiota
    Amarth
    Murska
    E_net4
    Thaif
    Crazy
    Dorten

Now, if anyone wants in, they'll have to go to the end of the queue. Lets have some fun.
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    How long does every player play? I'd suggest maybe a season or two per player?
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    That was the idea, yes. If it turns out our fortress lasts long, we could make the turns a bit longer though.
    #
    Grim Reaper 15 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Athel was suddenly struck with both awe and fear, and he dropped to his knees. He barely managed to speak a few words: "W-who are you?"
    "Idiota" said:
    "Firstly, you will gather companions to travel to your new property. When you arrive there, you will build us a statue through which we can channel our power to guide you and your people. After that, we will reign once more" Athel dropped to his knees. Now, there was only obedience.
    Does Athel have two sets of knees, or...?
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    That's why you keep your fanfic and your gaming seperate, I guess.

...Or something.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    and that's why I intended to have "crappyassstory" in front of and "/Crappyassstory" at the end of the story, bewteen brackets. But apperently, forum software doesn't like putting random things in there so I removed it. :p

EDIT: I finished my turn. Amarth, you can download the region here. Ofcourse, if anyone else wants to see the progress, feel free to download the file. Just make sure you change the '1' to a number that you haven't used in your own games yet. You should never have to overwrite something, for that matter.

Anyhow, as you can see I've started and left unfinished a lot of projects. The only thing I did mange to finish was crafting a battle axe for our woodcutter. I was busy crafting pump components to get the farming going, it still needs a block and a pipe section, with the corkscrew currently under construction. I reccomend making the block from stone and the pipe section from wood. The mason has already crafted a floodgate, a grate and a door; you should still have the mechanic make a lever and mechanisms for the floodgate control though. The grate should be placed in front of the door for water drainage and to prevent the mud from spreading through the fortress. I haven't dug any tunnels for the water draining yet for that matter. Also, I didn't manage to make a whole lot of crafts, but still, make sure they get sold.

So in short: Dig drainage tunnels + build pump = farming, after which I think it's about time to start making some sleeping and eating quarters.

Also, You might find the sapphires in the gem storage interesting, but don't touch them yet. They're very valuable gems that shouldn't be cut and set until we have some proper craft and gemdwarfs imo. link

Anyhow, good luck.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    "Go away you silly ancestor with the silly clothes and silly attitude!" *kick* "It's time for the cool ancestors to come into play here! Yeah, I might not be mentioned in your family history, but trust me, your great-grandmother once knew me very well indeed... Anyway, let's get around for some fun, shall we? How's stuff around here? ASCII-O-vision, ACTIVATE!"

Upper level:

Lower level:

Surroundings are pretty okay. Iron ore is visible on the surface, there's fuel being mined, a brook close, wood and bushes to the south. Let's see how I can creatively doom this place...

EDIT: Okay, autumn passed. The trading caravan came, I bought some food and small tidbits but they didn't have much. I began construction of a barracks and a dining room. I flooded the farming lot, the water is now evaporating and we can begin farming somewhere in winter I suppose. Bigtime yawn, thus. Eight immigrants by the way, with a diverse skillset, so that might be useful.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Boil 'em! Mash 'em! Stick 'em in a stew!
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Boil 'em! Mash 'em! Stick 'em in a stew!
    The dwarves or the 'taters?
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    BTW the idea was that we constructed a statue before the end of the first year. That was the idea, wether it still is, is up to you
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    Okay, we survived winter. Nothing to it, really. Murska, you are next. You can find the save over here.

I've created your statue on the lower level. It has a separate room for dignity and stuff. I like the idea that we try to make the statue more valuable with each turn or something. Current value is 200 IIRC, it should be easy to do better than that.

Don't think there's anything else to say...
    #
    Crazy 15 years ago
    End of queue, I is wants.
    #
    Thaif 15 years ago
    The Assembly of Ancestors grows. It'll be quite a sight to hold when all of the rulers/despots/bullies are through.
    #
    Dorten 15 years ago
    Any chances for me to join?

I even have some decent portfolio at DF map archive: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Dorten">http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Dorten</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    Time to take upon my shoulders the heavy responsibility of finding a creative way to crush this fortress to the dusts it rose from!
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    "Dorten" said:
    Any chances for me to join?

I even have some decent portfolio at DF map archive: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Dorten">http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Dorten</a><!-- m -->

Heh, you don't need a resume to join in on this one Dorten. :p Just being a forumer is enough.

I added everyone who asked for it btw.
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    Here is the save for the next year's Autumn. I made stuff look pretty, got a couple of artifacts, got a legendary craftsdwarf churning out masterpiece stone crafts like no tomorrow and created a Kennel to train some war dogs. I also made a specialty refuse pile for bodies and bodyparts outside to lessen the miasma, but it still happens sometimes. Oh, and I replaced the statue with a platinum one, value 1000.

For the next player, I suggest finishing the assigned bedrooms I started making and creating some more workshops to get jobs to all the around 30 immigrants I got total. Enlarging the military might also be an idea. Oh, and don't you dare touch my tomb!
    #
    Narvius 15 years ago
    I'm sorry, I have to pass.
    Something weird is going on on my side.
    Sorry.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    That's ok. Next up is E-net 4 then.
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    Roger that. Let's see if I can sustain this thing.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Sustaining it shouldn't be too hard.

Yet.
    #
    Thaif 15 years ago
    Ah, soon my machinations will be brought to fruition in a sensless flikering ASCII palette. Soon there will be...My Age of the Hammerempire.

P.S: Too bad Cheater didn't have the time to play his part. Would have been fun to see what he had in store for my...our Fort.
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    Alright, It's time to play the save some more until Spring comes.
    So far, I have kept building bedrooms and smoothing them, brewing drinks and exploring the underground.
    In addition, I built a small tomb with 6 coffins, one of them is already assigned.

Edit: Done. I'm uploading the save for Thaif.

2nd Edit: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rapidshare.com/files/185361050/region1.zip.html">http://rapidshare.com/files/185361050/region1.zip.html</a><!-- m -->
    By the way, an Elven caravan is about to arrive, so you may want to greet them.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    The plot thickens...
    #
    Thaif 15 years ago
    Okay, finally I have the motivation and time to get my turn done.

I ordered a large mining operation to make some better rooms for these stunties. They are going above the old rooms.

Speaking of rooms: These dwarves seem to keep chalk in their quaters. I imagine it's for good luck. "To bring upon them the gaze of the Ancestors" or some such...

Ah, the trades have arrived. I'll just greet them and...

Yap, nothing of value. Mountains of cloth. Also: What frikkin' ethical works? The statues?

There was a small outburst of miasma in the Great Bone Yard, but it dissipated without causing any trouble.

I spoke too soon. The miasma is pouring to the Great Bone Yard. Hopefully it will not go further. As a side note: We seem to have 4 neighbors. One Elven "The Flover of Laboring"(flowers are serious business), one Goblin "The Stupid Dread"(lolwut) one Dwarven "The Rampart of Paddling"(Fear the mighty oars!) and Kobold "Giliflakin"(also puzzling).

Yeaph, the miasma is evaporating and...

O SHI-
    TO ARMS! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE!!
    #
    Narvius 15 years ago
    Wha...?! DF has standard tiles now? oO
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    Wha...?! DF has standard tiles now? oO
    Yes, but you need the graphic tiles and the text of the tile's info. Then you turn it on in the options.
    It didn't work when I tried though, I think this feature is still an alpha.
    #
    Thaif 15 years ago
    Sorry for the Double posting. My Compy decided to do as it pleases and the images had trouble loading so I posted what I had done and proceeded to fix the computer.

Now then. The aftermath of that ambush.

Not supricingly the gobbos weren't up for the challenge. Luckily the elves died before the dwarves got to the scene(intentional delaying?). We now have tons of cloth and it's prepacked!
    Damn, one elf survived...no matter. We'll be fine, cloth or not.

We have a Dungeon Master! The annoying thing is he's quite picky of the things he wants. We also got some migrants and the extension project isn't even near completion!

A boy was born shortly after the Dungeon Master appeared and our Mayor has issued mandates requiring the construction of 3 shields. I guess he has a spark of initiative.

Okay..the Dungeon Master is a wyrd lady:

Dragon bone!? Why not demon skin while we're at it.

Phew, we didn't lose any kids. I hope they got a good lesson not to go around when gobbos are near...

A woodworker was taken by a fey mood! Lezzee what that is to do...
    Seems like have want's some rock, wood and tanned hides. Lucky we don't have a tannery nor any prepared hides...

I designated an area near the buthcery to be mined so that the tannery can be set up. Unforunately the Strange Mooded dwarf decided not to wait any longer and went INSANE. Great.

In other news: Designed an primitive AC(airconditioning) to the Great Bone Yard and in the room that houses the fishery and buthcery. It works to slightly lessen the miasma. Didn't work as greatly as was planned, but hey this game is for having Fun.

The dwarves race far too far to get their fix of water so a channel is designated to be mined in the irrigation route and then to be put to use as a water source. Oh, and a fishing site. grates will feature heavily in this place.

A new Mayor was elected. His name is Endok Logemurvad. Athel Oddomkol has picked up his "old" profession of a Miner. Times are a changing.

Whoa, slight mishap, though an expected one.

The water spilled slightly, but didn't go out of hand. While this was happening a dwarven couple was married! Huzza!

I started to build common burial sites. They are due west of the new lodgings.

And it seems as though Autumn has come.

Here's the save.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Crazy, your up! Go get 'em boy!
    #
    Crazy 15 years ago
    Woof woof!
    O LOOK A SAVE: http://rapidshare.com/files/192571426/region3-win-203.rar.html

From the Book of the Ancients, page 1904:

Urdmuk "Crazy" Aestetail, the Trickster Ancient awakes from his slumber to see through

the fortress of Nilthalal, the Hammerempire. As the great spirit wakes, he decides to take a frightening form, one of horror and pain to scare whoever ran this establishment into submission. In fact, he decided to take this form long ago, as it has always been his style. But alas, as he wakes, he takes a look around trough the eyes of the statue before he even seeks to gain a physical form. A party is what he sees.

(Z-level -1)
    A PARTY?! Such blasphemy amongst the dwarves?! We are a working race! One of pride and honor! We have not time nor need for such petty dealings as a parties.

I conj-- er, i mean, Urdmuk conjures the most horrible image imaginable, a non-euclidean monstrosity that would make a person insane just by looking at it. The party-goers flee due to the trickster's magnificent wizardry.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 124:

Another of the Ancients came forth from the statue. This one is a real freaking moron.

There was a party going on in the statue room, which i attended as well. He assumed some sort of odd form which really looked unintentionally funny, but as he pestered us endlessly, the party-goers became rather annoyed and left. I guess it was my task to talk to him at that point.

He looked rather smug about driving away the party, the sod. Talked some nonsense about dwarven heritage or other. He constantly talkes about himself in third person and refers to everything he does as "magnificent" and "great".

This is going to be a long Autumn. I brought him a map of the fortress as it was. Loudly, he exclaimed that the living rooms being prepared were far too large.

(Z-level 0)
    "We're dwarves, we should be sleeping in the mud with dogs and chewing on soggy mushrooms!" he said, waving his fist around and trying to make his voice sound deeper than it is.

Oh, dear. I fear for the future of our fortress.

He didn't cancel our order to smooth out the bedrooms, but he did essentially stop their construction, as there were no beds.

He also complained about th way our workshops were placed and therily cursed whoever had decided that our main corridor should be one tile wide.

(Z-level -1)
    He did give me a proper office for me to work out of, though. I still fear the orders he will give tomorrow.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 125:

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE HAVE 32 IDLERS?!"

Urdmuk was absolutely shocked. This wasn't his normal, megalomanical self. He was genuinely horrified and out of balance.

I have to say that though i hate this Ancient with every hair of my chin, he does have a point. The fortress COULD be run more efficiently.

He started scrambling orders like the madman he is, trying to find work for the dwarves. He was able to rapidly lower the amount of idlers, but after an entire day of finding work, we were still nowhere near done. We'll continue tomorrow.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 127:

Not much happened. Still trying to find work. I've discovered that Urdmuk actually knows a thing or two about running a fortress, though if he had a tenth of the skill he thinks he has, we'd be up to our necks in booze and riches.

He decided that the 3-tile wide upper floor would make a much better main corridor and as such we should plan future developments so that traffic would be focused on that area.

(Z-level 0)
    Urdmuk told me to see what i can do to improve the traffic problems. I have a few ideas.

From the Book of the Ancients, page 1944:

The great Urdmuk has done magnificent work on improving the well-being of the fortress in just a few short days.

He has gracefully and heroically saved two miners that were trapped under the farms.

(Z-level -2)

He has brought the fortress to peak efficiency, with no idlers remaining.

He has created a brilliant new system to lower traffic on the lower level.

He has begun creating an effective defensive army.

He has begun work on a tunnel to more efficiantly dump refuse.

He is truly a wonderful and gracious Ancient.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 128:

What a bastard, that Urdmuk. Here's how we work:

1:He tells me of a problem.
    2:I figure out what is causing the problem.
    3:I speak to the dwarves and see what they think of the problem.
    4:I draw plans to solve the problem.
    5:I introduce the plans to the dwarves.
    6:I oversee the work, making sure that everything is according to plan.
    7:I make sure that evrything will work smoothly once the plans have been brought to action.
    8:He claims he did everything.

Urgh. At least we have some soldiers now, we were completely defenseless before.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 129:

SIEGE! WE ARE UNDER SIEGE!

I've told everyone to get inside and for the soldiers to guard the entryway. We have but a single axedwarf, the rest are recruits. Luckily we have a wonderful choke point, which we shall utilize. The goblins are just outside the door now, waiting. We keep the door open, we are not afraid of them. We should be able to make short work of them by utilizing our choke point.

However, one of our own was caught outside the walls but managed to escape to the hills. The elf in the trade depot, however, was less fortunate.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 130:

THAT BASTARD. THAT MORONIC IDIOT.

At dawn, Urdmuk told out men to storm the goblins just outside of our doors. The fool, the idiot. I wish i could strangle him.

Many great soldiers lost their lives needlessly in that situation. They will be given a proper burial.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 147:

I've been silent again for quite a while, but there really isn't muh to say. The fortress is working well. We could use a few extra hands, but we're not quite desperate for them. The corpses of the goblins still rot outside. Urdmuk still won't allow us to clean the battlefield. The moron.

From the Mayor's diary, entry 164:

Oh, god.

Oh, merciful Armok.

What have we done?

How has this come upon us?

Have we done something as to deserve such a fate?

There's no. No. Alcohol.

Why is the rum gone?

From the Mayor's diary, entry 221:

Finally, it's Winter again, Urdmuk is leaving. Ugh. I hate that megalomaniac. I hate him for his ego. And i hate the fact that he can actually run a fortress. Because that means his orders are not ridiculous enough to be overridden.

Well. In this season:

-Goblin siege, lost all but a few soldiers.
    -Ran out of alcohol, problem was rectified.
    -Messed around with the borked up storage space designations, there should be no more

miasma from the bone & shell storages and rotting items are more easy to move.
    -Lowered main corridor traffic.
    -Started frantically making bins because we were utilizing ridiculous amounts of

storage space.
    -Made a clothier's shop & loom.
    -Made craftsdwarve's shops to work down the ridiculous amount of bone & shell we have.
    -Trained an army capable of holding it's own against a siege as big as the last one.
    -Eventually mined out a tiny bit of ore.

Notes for winter:
    -Too many dwarves are hauling, the general efficiency of the fort can still be

increased.
    -The Noble's demands are not met.

I don't know what else. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep now.

God, i hope the next Ancient is sensible.
    #
    Crazy 15 years ago
    The images are borked, but fuck it all. Fuck it all.

I'm dropping out of the game.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Dorten, you're up. Strike the earth!
    #
    Dorten 15 years ago
    OK, I got it... WHAT A MESS!!!

I've uploaded the map to DFMA, to get a clear view of layout.
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4528-hammerempire">http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4528-hammerempire</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Dorten 15 years ago
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rapidshare.com/files/192870831/region3-sum-204.rar.html">http://rapidshare.com/files/192870831/r ... 4.rar.html</a><!-- m -->

Well, I'm not a very good storyteller, and it were very quiet two seasons. No goblins, only a couple of thieves, a couple of artifacts. Anyway, here's the report:

Soooo... I come to rule, ready to repel the nasty goblins, terrorising poor dorfs, and what do I see?

Very clever! It must have been planned to be a drowning trap! But unfortunately I cant understand how it was supposed to work, so I rewall it and forget about it.

Previous ruler complained abot corridors being too thin, but I've found the best solution: dig it wider!!!

OK now, our miner decided to get legendary via artifact... cool. But he needs THREE shells, and we have none, because someone
    Made craftsdwarve's shops to work down the ridiculous amount of bone & shell we have

All eat only turtles!!!

Whew... He is saved. And look what he gives out:

Cool shiny table with cool shiny pictures on it... It gives me an idea: make a huge shiny image of myself like this:
    [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->p6.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

All in all it's very quiet place, I have no idea what are those "Gobleenz" everyone is talking about... Anyway, I ordered to build an extended defence wall near the entrance. With traps. Why didn't anyone used traps here?

And the time has come to leave. Well, I almost finished the Picha-Of-Mehselv:

My successor only needs to finish the wall, which should prevent anyone of stepping on my face. IT MUST BE OF PHYLLITE BLOCKS ONLY!!!
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    And that would be me. Yaay!
    #
    Forum » Dwarves and their Ancestors
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: