Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Grim done made a music thyng

Grim done made a music thyng

Grim Reaper 15 years ago
Yes.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imeem.com/people/gsAafNT/music/ODN99vIt/john_grassi_music_thyng/">http://www.imeem.com/people/gsAafNT/mus ... sic_thyng/</a><!-- m -->
#
Amarth 15 years ago
Mmm. I likes. I don't know enough about music to give any usable critique though.
#
Thaif 15 years ago
You already know my opinion on your composings. Hope fully you'll maintain your motivation for this endeavor.
#
Idiota 15 years ago
Well, I do like the motif you have going on in the song, but it could use a few variations. Song build up seems ok, but I'm no expert musician or anything, so it might be all messed up as well. Fairly sure about the first bit of this reply tho.
#
Anonymous1157 15 years ago
I like it. It sounds alright, but it'd probably be better if it was condensed into thirty seconds and made the intro to a more complex-ish piece. (Not sure if that's what you'd call it, but you get the idea.)
#
Idiota 15 years ago
30 seconds? What the hell can you explain in 30 seconds? :p
#
MageKing17 15 years ago
Well, I have to agree that condensing it into 30 seconds would've made it better. I mean, it feels like 30 seconds worth of music stretched out by repeating bits for no significant reason.

The only time needless repetition is tolerated is in techno, and even then it's not desired.

For an example of a good, long piece, try Valse Aeris for Voices of the Lifestream.
#
Crazy 15 years ago
"Idiota" said:
30 seconds? What the hell can you explain in 30 seconds? :p
Plenty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dws87NR6DpM

No, that is not a joke. This a real Napalm Death song and was on their album. They even made a video. The lyrics go "You suffer - but why?"

The point of microsongs is to say something if you want say something. Don't muck around.
#
Quanrian 15 years ago
I've got to agree with most of what is said about condensing it. There's also a serious lack of depth to the music, and there would usually be a bigger build towards either something more resonant or complex. The tempo was actually nice in the beginning and basically would of set the melody for something else...

The main problem is, there never was something else, so it's just one long, drawn out melody. I read up a bit when I was working on composing music for my games and found you rarely need to go over one minute. The best loops were a minute or less, so I've used that as a good standard. Yes, even 30 seconds in length would be quite acceptable.

I highly suggest checking the link below, it's a FAQ for Music Generator 2 and has some very nice stuff on music theory that can be useful as a guide.

MTV Music Generator 2 FAQ
#
Idiota 15 years ago
Yes, well, I've been holing this up 'till now, but frankly, I agree. It was merely due to a weird error on my part (as in, thinking that the reply was made in the thread in which Quanrian showed the Cormoon vids) that I posted that, so I ask you to disregard that post. :p I kinda felt stupid so I kinda ignored the fact.
#
D0M0 14 years ago
it sounds great for a scene sound, even now i have about six ideas where to implement that
#
Forum » Grim done made a music thyng

Your email:
Your name: