Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Ville's new baby and game news

Ville's new baby and game news

ville 15 years ago
I just wanted you to know what I've been doing very intently for the last three months. We got a little girlie on the 20th of November. Her name is Saara Maria Mönkkönen, and she's what's been keeping me busy lately. She's already giving me a hand programming, she likes to bang the keyboard with her hands while she sits on my lap. And drooling on the keyboard is also a big hit at our house.

I've also been busy programming, and I'm still continuing work with the Cormoon game engine. It now sports a complete top-down simulation (like Notrium), and there's water and mountains. Terrain painting makes very smooth transitions between textures, and it supports much more precise painting that Notrium ever did. The lighting engine supports unlimited dynamic lights as well as stationary lights with shadows. We also have dialogue trees similar to many RPG games such as Baldur's Gate. Modding is a high priority for the engine as well, and I'm planning on including some modders into the development some time in the future - just to make modding much easier than it's ever been. Also the engine features a simple map editor that allows easily making more maps to the main game. I'm planning on having some easy way to distribute maps between players. I won't be posting screenshots of the game yet because I'm keeping much of it under wraps until it's mostly ready.

That's it basically. Growing a baby is a lot of work apparently, but I'm still finding time to work on the game, so no worries on that front.
#
Grim Reaper 15 years ago
Congratulations on the babby-forming! She certainly is a happy-looking lil' bugger.

Also nice to hear that the game has progressed so much from the silly ole beta(s) we got to try out.
#
E_net4 15 years ago
Well, I wish you the best of luck to your family. It's good to know there's some progress going on.
#
Amarth 15 years ago
Hooray! Congratulations!
#
MageKing17 15 years ago
Congratulations! I see you're well on the way to adding another code monkey to the family. Give it a dozen or so years and Cormoon will have twice the coding capacity! ;P
#
Idiota 15 years ago
I knew when you said 'gotta go take care of the baby' to me in chat that I kinda missed something. :p Turns out I didn't. Congrats Ville on your wonderful baby. I see a future Notrium X (Or Cormoon X?) in her! :p I really do hope that you'll put babytime in front of coding time, and that you'll keep doing that. Nowadays is a hard time to raise kids it seems, but I'm sure you'll do just fine.
#
Amarth 15 years ago
There's a South-African song about a girl called Sarie Marijs (which is their version of the name Saara Maria), btw... First YouTube link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7c83DqE9WY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7c83DqE9WY</a><!-- m -->

It's about someone missing his girl during a war or something.
#
ville 15 years ago
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to tell her your regards.
#
Crazy 15 years ago
Ho, sweet! Human-spawn!

Congrats and let there be many a keyboard drooled on in the near and perhaps far future.
#
Pete 15 years ago
Id also like to submit my congratulations.
#
Murska 15 years ago
What? I just noticed that, contradicting what I had thought, I haven't actually posted here yet to congratulate you on such adorable offspring.
#
AsdMaster 14 years ago
CONGRATULATIONS!

;]
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm
Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:55 pm
Necromancy much?

Wait... AsdMaster? For realz?
#
ville 14 years ago
Thanks AsdMaster!
Saara is really growing fast. I honestly think she can say isi (dad) now. At least she says it whenever I'm tickling her, so it's got to mean something funny.
#
Crazy 14 years ago
Ah yes. That beautiful time when our minds were more... flexible.

Either that or she finds the concept of this haggardly man actually being trusted with the life of another being absolutely hilarious despite the ultimately tragic nature of the situation.

I jest.
#
Idiota 14 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm
Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:55 pm
Necromancy much?

Wait... AsdMaster? For realz?

I say it's not necromancy when you congratulate someone for having a baby. Quite the opposite in fact. :p
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Idiota" said:
I say it's not necromancy when you congratulate someone for having a baby. Quite the opposite in fact. :p
Zontamancy?
#
Crazy 14 years ago
No, i think the opposite of necromancy would be killing someone.
#
Narvius 14 years ago
...before he was born.

Like, bring to life after death / kill before birth, you see.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Narvius" said:
...before he was born.

Like, bring to life after death / kill before birth, you see.
See, this just proves that there's no easy way to tell what the opposite of something is. The opposite of necromancy is therefore either zontamancy, straight-up murder, or killing somone before they're even born.

...Wait a minute, is this some sort of roundabout abortion reference?
#
Murska 14 years ago
What exactly IS Zontamancy? Google fails me!
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Murska" said:
What exactly IS Zontamancy? Google fails me!
"#MonkkonenChat" said:
<%Grim_Reaper> Btw, what's zontamancy?
<!MageKing17> I looked up the Greek word for Alive and transliterated it with "mancy" on the end.
<!MageKing17> (Since Necros is the transliteration of "Dead".)
<!MageKing17> Which, apparently, comes from Nokus, meaning "Corpse".
<!MageKing17> The things you learn from Google.
<+Anonymous1157> I brainfarted, what's a -mancy?
<!MageKing17> ...
<!MageKing17> If death magic is called "Necromancy" and "Necros" means "Dead", what do you think "-mancy" means?
<+Anonymous1157> ... Well, I didn't know it meant magic.
<!MageKing17> What did you think a Necromancer used?
<!MageKing17> Ponies?
<+Anonymous1157> Well, they can do it to one.
<%Grim_Reaper> Or perhaps Anon thought "necromancy" came from "necros" and "romancy"?
<%Grim_Reaper> (maybe even "romance"?)
<!MageKing17> Except "romancy" isn't a word.
<!MageKing17> There you go.
<+Amarth> The word necromancy derives from the Greek νεκρός (nekrós), "corpse", and μαντεία (manteía), "divination".
<+Amarth> A bit of wikipedia could have told you that.
<%Grim_Reaper> So, in princible, necromancy is the art of reanimating corpses (i.e. making people move after they've died)...
<!MageKing17> Actually, any "divination" to do with corpses.
<!MageKing17> Conversing with the spirits of the dead is also necromancy.
<%Grim_Reaper> I'm holding the line at resurrection
<%Grim_Reaper> In any case, the archetypical example is reanimating the dead
<!MageKing17> Nobody cares about archetypical examples.
<!MageKing17> Actually, I think you just mixed up archetypal and typical.
<+Anonymous1157> ... LOL, I just found heavy metal in the mod music pack I downloaded.
<%Grim_Reaper> Now, depending on whether we place the axis of mirroring on point of death or being alive, we get either making the living stop moving (the former), or making the unborn stop moving (the latter).
<!MageKing17> Wait, nevermind, archetypical is a synonym for archetypal.
<!MageKing17> The thing is, the "opposite" could also be resurrection.
<%Grim_Reaper> The act of freezing some sperm would count as the latter example, I think
<!MageKing17> (As being opposed to re-animation.)
<!MageKing17> Consider the card "Resurrection" from Magic: The Gathering, which costs 2WW.
<%Grim_Reaper> Resurrection's opposite, however, would be killing someone before they're born
<!MageKing17> Versus the card "Zombify", which does the same thing for 3B.
<%Grim_Reaper> Also, telling me to consider a MtG card is a bit like telling me to consider the ramifications of globalization on the global ant supercolony.
#
Narvius 14 years ago
Actually, what're we doing in this thread here? oO
It's ville announcing his child and we went and got started on killing stuff.
#
Crazy 14 years ago
"#MonkkonenChat" said:
<%Grim_Reaper> Also, telling me to consider a MtG card is a bit like telling me to consider the ramifications of globalization on the global ant supercolony.

xD

Also, if conversing with the dead is also necromancy, would conversing with the live be the opposite? Maybe ignoring the live? Or would that be a double negative?
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Crazy" said:
Also, if conversing with the dead is also necromancy, would conversing with the live be the opposite? Maybe ignoring the live? Or would that be a double negative?
Welcome to the wonderful world of confusing opposites, where everything is nothing and nothing is everything. Or is it the other way around...?
#
Idiota 14 years ago
The reason I did not reply to MageKing's post was because I wanted to keep the thread on topic.

So stay on topic guys, please.
#
Grim Reaper 14 years ago
I DEMAND MORE PICTURES OF VILLE'S PROGENY!

(on-topic enough for you, Idiota? )
#
ville 14 years ago
Ok Grim, here's a new photo of Saara.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"ville" said:
Ok Grim, here's a new photo of Saara.
There is only one proper response to that.

D'awww!
#
Idiota 14 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
D'awww!
Need anymore be said? :p
#
Forum » Ville's new baby and game news

Your email:
Your name: