Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Looking for Tetris sounds.

Looking for Tetris sounds.

Narvius 15 years ago
I'm writing a Tetris clone.

Either my patience or my googling skills failed, because I couldn't find any Tetris sounds (rotate block, block touches ground, clear line, clear 4 lines).
Could anyone help me out with this?
#
MageKing17 15 years ago
"Cheater" said:

Either my patience or my googling skills failed, because I couldn't find any Tetris sounds (rotate block, block touches ground, clear line, clear 4 lines).
Could anyone help me out with this?
Googling failed?!? That's unpossible!
#
Narvius 15 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
Googling failed?!? That's unpossible!
Not googling. *My* googling skills.
#
E_net4 15 years ago
"Cheater" said:
You cannot guess how fortunate I am to hear about it. I've been sticking to Tetris for quite a while now, and I will feel bad if I don't get a better Tetris game to play.
#
Narvius 15 years ago
Hehe.
I've never written a real game before (unless you'd call Tic Tac Toe one), so don't expect too much.
Also, it has kind of... nonconformist graphics.

More like, a lack thereof.

Actually, I still haven't found anything.
I guess I'll have to go without <.<

[Edit]
And, uh, I write in C#.
That rules out any non-Windozers, I think. >_>
That's a pity, because it's the best language I've used so far.
#
Narvius 15 years ago
Okay. I just recorded the sounds myself using Audacity and VisualBoyAdvance.
The thing should be ready BY <.< monday.
#
MageKing17 15 years ago
"Cheater" said:
The thing should be ready 'till monday.
Did you mean ready by Monday? Because if it was ready until Monday, it's ready now, and will cease to be so on Monday.
#
E_net4 15 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
"Cheater" said:
Did you mean ready by Monday? Because if it was ready until Monday, it's ready now, and will cease to be so on Monday.
Very funny, sir.

I will wait for your gamesy thing with anticipation.
#
Pete 15 years ago
"E_net4" said:
"MageKing17" said:
"Cheater" said:
Very funny, sir.

I will wait for your gamesy thing with anticipation.
Ah, yes. Mageking.

Righto. Ill make sure to check it out as well.
#
Narvius 15 years ago
I is ready or something.
It's not perfect, the rotation is a bit weird, the scoring system is a fail and all.

Game.
Source.

The source requires to import the libtcod C# wrapper project to compile.
#
MageKing17 15 years ago
Well, I gave it a try, and it looks like a pretty normal Tetris clone. I liked the intro, but was pretty neutral on the game itself (like we don't already have five million Tetris clones out there?). One thing I didn't like was the use of space instead of enter as the ubiquitous "do something" button. It's unintuitive. People expect hitting enter to select a menu option, so make hitting enter select a menu option.
#
Pete 15 years ago
So, ya. Tried it. Its tetris. Didnt see no bugs or flaws. So, ya. Its a proper tetris clone.

Now make something original
#
Narvius 15 years ago
I already have something in mind (actually, the concept's ~99% done), but first I'll have to get into using that whole XNA stuff, since it won't be a consoleus thingie for once (my big dream, an own roguelike, is delayed until I make some proper stuff. I can't sit on consoles for my whole life).
So, yeah, it might take a while.
#
NeoGangster 15 years ago
doesnt work for me, maybe its cause I have vista x64 :/
#
Narvius 15 years ago
Maybe because you don't have .NET Framework [2.0 or higher] installed.

Okay, XNA is teh overkill. You won't hear anything related to programming from me for a long time.
#
NeoGangster 15 years ago
"Cheater" said:
Maybe because you don't have .NET Framework [2.0 or higher] installed.
nope, I have 3.5 installed
#
E_net4 15 years ago
I played it. There are several aspects that should be considered if you intend to keep working on it, but I liked the game at some point.
- The space bar thing was already mentioned.
- Using it in-game instantly installs the piece where it is, without allowing us to move it before becoming static, which is bad in a Tetris game. Consider the following:

O....
O.##.
OO.##
In a Tetris game, the player should be able to move the L piece to the right before it becomes static. You can't do that if you press Space in this clone.
- The difficulty should be regulated. The lowest difficulty is insanely slow IMO.
- It could really use a bigger window. Computers these days have a minimum of 1024x768, and using such a small window not only makes it harder to see, but you're also "despising" the free space on the display. In fact, a Tetris game window is usually taller, if you know what I mean. The instructions could also stick to a separate section of the menu.
- Sure the rotation is glitchy, and I kept failing at positioning the pieces. I assume that with a bit of maths you could get that fixed.
- "See you soon" is something I don't like in games. Why won't the game let us play again?
- And I think I saw a bug. Nothing too serious though, and I can't be so sure, because...
- I tried playing it for the 3rd time, but now it crashes when running the exe.

Whatever you wish to do, here's something to think of next time anyone works on anything related to Tetris.

You probably think I don't have a life now.
#
Amarth 15 years ago
Allrighty. First of all, it works, it's finished, which is a huge thing to do. Good job!

* E is saying something about being able to move pieces right after the drop. In fact, this is one of a huge collection of Tetris rules that are not obvious but actually part of Tetris in it's recent incarnations. Fans might or might not want these, but it's useful to at least scan through the list. See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tetrisconcept.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tetris_Guideline">http://tetrisconcept.com/wiki/index.php ... _Guideline</a><!-- m -->

* I don't agree about difficulty. It never hurts to have an easy mode, even if it seems really, really easy to you, there are people who might still find it enjoyable. If you find easy mode too easy, then turn up the difficulty, but leave the option there for others. Default seems about right to me.

* I also don't really agree about the bigger window. Yes, desktops have 1024x768 probably. But there's an uplift of netbooks and other small devices with smaller screens. Still, make your own choice there. With console stuff it's probably not much of an option anyway.

*HOWEVER. More than half of your screen is devoted to, well, non-playing area. I know that is just the way Tetris works (it's by definition a rather vertical thing) but it looks bad. Be creative.

*About rotation, it's hard to get right and I even doubt it's possible with simple maths. I had to keep a list of all blocks and their possible positions (basically a 7x4x4x4 binary array - that's block x rotation x width x height).

If you want it, I could take a look through the source code to see if there's some tips I can give you. I don't promise anything.

[EDIT] Also, "cotris", what sort of name is that... How about "coitris"?
#
Narvius 15 years ago
"E_net4" said:
The space bar thing was already mentioned.
Sure. I don't know why I chose Space, I *did* use Enter before (in my previous project, I mean).
"E_net4" said:
Using it in-game instantly installs the piece where it is, without allowing us to move it before becoming static, which is bad in a Tetris game.
Didn't know that anyone does this. But sure. It also would take only a few minutes to do that...
"E_net4" said:
The difficulty should be regulated. The lowest difficulty is insanely slow IMO.
Absolutely randomly chosen. Runs at 60 FPS, easiest difficulty is 61 frames per cell dropped, each higher is -5 frames per cell dropped, if I remember correctly.
"E_net4" said:
It could really use a bigger window. Computers these days have a minimum of 1024x768, and using such a small window not only makes it harder to see, but you're also "despising" the free space on the display. In fact, a Tetris game window is usually taller, if you know what I mean. The instructions could also stick to a separate section of the menu.
The UI was hastily assembled. I theoretically could fix that in some short time, since libtcod is awesome.
"E_net4" said:
Sure the rotation is glitchy, and I kept failing at positioning the pieces. I assume that with a bit of maths you could get that fixed.
Tetromino rotation is an awful thing to write. You can check the code, it's a really hackish solution, since I had really no idea.
"E_net4" said:
"See you soon" is something I don't like in games. Why won't the game let us play again?
I fail at planning. And I am lazy. The main loop simply doesn't allow this, and I didn't fix it afterwards.
"E_net4" said:
And I think I saw a bug. Nothing too serious though, and I can't be so sure, because...
- I tried playing it for the 3rd time, but now it crashes when running the exe.
I think it's something about the ini file. Delete it / Cut & Paste elsewhere and try again.
"E_net4" said:
Whatever you wish to do, here's something to think of next time anyone works on anything related to Tetris.
I've dropped the project already. It was more to test if I really had the patience and endurance to actually get something done. My next project will be a RTS, uh, I mean RTT. But pretty much different from everything you've seen before (I hope. At least it's my own idea and not my fault if someone else had the same =P). But until I tame XNA it will take a while, and then... it will take another while. And a few more.
"E_net4" said:
You probably think I don't have a life now.
Hey, 90% of my schoolmates think I have no life. ^.^

[Part 2]
YAY, another long post I can respond to =D!

"Amarth" said:
Allrighty. First of all, it works, it's finished, which is a huge thing to do. Good job!
Thanks!

"Amarth" said:
* E is saying something about being able to move pieces right after the drop. In fact, this is one of a huge collection of Tetris rules that are not obvious but actually part of Tetris in it's recent incarnations. Fans might or might not want these, but it's useful to at least scan through the list. See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tetrisconcept.com/wiki/index.php">http://tetrisconcept.com/wiki/index.php</a><!-- m --> ... _Guideline
Too bad I didn't know before. While good to know, I don't think I'll ever need that again =P

"Amarth" said:
*HOWEVER. More than half of your screen is devoted to, well, non-playing area. I know that is just the way Tetris works (it's by definition a rather vertical thing) but it looks bad. Be creative.
Again, the UI was hastily assembled (to get it done quickly). Right, I could do something about it, but I dropped the project (since, well, I want to do some proper stuff now).

"Amarth" said:
About rotation, it's hard to get right and I even doubt it's possible with simple maths. I had to keep a list of all blocks and their possible positions (basically a 7x4x4x4 binary array - that's block x rotation x width x height).
My tetrominoes were 4x4 strings and I did rotation in a rather hackish fashion. You can check it.

"Amarth" said:
If you want it, I could take a look through the source code to see if there's some tips I can give you. I don't promise anything.
Thanks, but I won't do anything anymore, anyways =D
(Yay, three any's in a row!)

"Amarth" said:
[EDIT] Also, "cotris", what sort of name is that... How about "coitris"?
It's like, you know, one of the most uncreative names I could come up with.
It's kinda like this:
Cotris = Console + Tetris - (Te + nsole);

[Edit]
Once I seriously start working on my game, I'll announce it here.
Setting myself some kind of deadline really helps.
#
E_net4 15 years ago
My next project will be a RTS, uh, I mean RTT.
I wonder what that kind of game is. And how different will it be?
#
Narvius 15 years ago
I will reveal it when I start working on it.
Until then it makes no sense to do so.
#
NeoGangster 14 years ago
what does RTT mean? Real Time Tetris?
#
Murska 14 years ago
Real Time Tactics.

...now that begs the question, what is Turn-Based Tetris?
#
Narvius 14 years ago
There's a roguelike called TetrisRL, I think. From the 2009 7DRL challenge... check it out =P
#
Amarth 14 years ago
"Cheater" said:
There's a roguelike called TetrisRL, I think. From the 2009 7DRL challenge... check it out =P
Whoah. That's almost as cool as ChessRogue!

No seriously, ChessRogue is fun.
#
Narvius 14 years ago
It's awesome, I just plain fail at it =P

At the moment, I'm figuring out how to draw geometric primitives using XNA. It's... complicated. I already pity the guys writing graphics engines.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Cheater" said:
"E_net4" said:
"See you soon" is something I don't like in games. Why won't the game let us play again?
I fail at planning. And I am lazy. The main loop simply doesn't allow this, and I didn't fix it afterwards.
For the longest time, all of my games have used a double-loop... the outer loop holds the main menu, options screen, sets up the game, whatever, and the inner loop actually runs the game. That way, when the game ends, you wind up right back at the main menu.

Mind you, almost of my games have been written in TI-BASIC, but I've started doing similar things in Python (the only major differences are classes, subroutines, and double-buffering... game logic is fairly consistent ).
#
Narvius 12 years ago
...I regularly get mails from box.net that someone downloads the sources.
#
E_net4 12 years ago
Huh, yay?
#
Narvius 12 years ago
Seriously, I wonder why. This is a piece of hideous crap written ages ago, well-hidden on an almost derelict forum. WHAT THE.
#
Grim Reaper 12 years ago
It COULD be them crawler bots that just follow all the links to the end, I guess.
#
E_net4 12 years ago
"Grim Reaper" said:
It COULD be them crawler bots that just follow all the links to the end, I guess.
And I'm pretty sure crawler bots like playing Tetris.
#
Narvius 12 years ago
And it's probably a bit more accessible to them, since it's in a console!

A pseudoconsole in a SDL window - shhhh, don't tell them!
#
Forum » Looking for Tetris sounds.

Your email:
Your name: