Register
Email: Password:
Forum » New Computer

New Computer

ahrenjb 14 years ago
Despite how few of you will care, I feel obliged to spread thrust my excitement on you concerning the fact that I have indeed acquired a new computer.

Upgrading from my old HP Pavilion zv5000 (Dual Core 3.0ghz Pentium 4, 128mb ATI Graphics, 384mb RAM :O, 40gb HD) which was enormous and brick-like, and produced sounds and heat akin to a blast furnace, to the new (lightly used actually, hoorah for craigslist) Asus G50VT-X1!!!

Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz
4GB RAM
240 GB HDD
nVidia GeForce 9800 512MB

It's an order of magnitude better performing on all fronts than my HP was. It cost me $600 used, but it's nearly mint condition. Unless I misjudged the person I bought it from and he was actually a serious tech guy who knew how to clean traces of use off well, he only used it to play Oblivion and browse the web. It's a beautiful machine. Fast, quiet, solid construction. It even came with Oblivion, Crysis, GTA IV, and Microsoft Office Pro 2007 (looks like a copy he took from the university). When I picked it up he had a macbook on his table. BLEH.

That's all, I just had to get that out.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"ahrenjb" said:
It cost me $600 used
Holy fucking christ, you made a steal. Enjoy your newfound access to next-gen gaming.

Also, ask me anytime for essential Oblivion mods.
#
Grim Reaper 14 years ago
Congraturation! A winner is you! \o/
#
NeoGangster 14 years ago
you could have got a new and better machine for 600 bucks...
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"NeoGangster" said:
Better than this?
"ahrenjb" said:
Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz
4GB RAM
240 GB HDD
nVidia GeForce 9800 512MB
Where do you buy computers, NeoGanster?
#
NeoGangster 14 years ago
oh wait sorry I overread that we're talking about a notebook ops:
#
Narvius 14 years ago
"MageKing17" said:
As far as I'm aware, gangster's don't exactly buy anything.
#
E_net4 14 years ago
"Cheater" said:
"MageKing17" said:
As far as I'm aware, gangster's don't exactly buy anything.
*gives Cheater +1 Internets*

Sometimes I wish computers didn't evolve so fast. It forces everyone to update their machine once a year. D:
#
Narvius 14 years ago
Hm... the only "upgrade" I need is formatting everything. I have hopelessly overinstalled my PC and bogged down dah speed to slower than a snail.

And at least another 300GB space. Seriously, it's hard to survive with less than half a terabyte nowadays.

E_net4 said:
*gives Cheater +1 Internets*
Uhm. Thanks?
#
ahrenjb 14 years ago
"MageKing17" said:

What mods would you suggest? I've been playing the hell out of it for the past couple days. It's more massive than Fallout 3 by a long shot. Level 10 and haven't scratched the main quest!

"NeoGangster" said:

Sure, you can build a marginally better machine for around $600. I've gotten sort of attached to the mobility and convenience of notebooks though.

"Cheater" said:
And at least another 300GB space. Seriously, it's hard to survive with less than half a terabyte nowadays.

No kidding, I bought a 180gb external when I got that HP, filled it up promptly, and had to start using my old desktop (320GB) as a file bin. It's full too now. I'll be needing a 1TB external. Damn torrents, the data you provide thee
#
Narvius 14 years ago
My uncle burns 500GB externals as if there was no tomorrow >.>
#
E_net4 14 years ago
"Cheater" said:
I'm looking forward to buy a hard drive myself, but my parents insisted that I should buy an external hard drive for when I have a laptop for use in college. And that is exactly why I still have the ridiculous total hard drive size of 74GB. It's just that I actually wanted something that "sticked" to the compy. I would get many gigabytes of free space if I just moved the Steam cache files, for instance.
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"ahrenjb" said:
"MageKing17" said:

What mods would you suggest? I've been playing the hell out of it for the past couple days. It's more massive than Fallout 3 by a long shot. Level 10 and haven't scratched the main quest!
Well, the first thing I always do is install Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (although the latest version inevitably requires some digging to find). The second thing I do is grab the latest version of OBSE and install nGCD, "not Galsiah's Character Development" (Galsiah's Character Development being the absolutely best leveling system mod for Morrowind, hands down, and nGCD coming as close as possible given certain limitations with Oblivion's engine... it even completely replaces magicka regeneration). Those are the only two "essential" mods in my opinion, though of course many more fantastic mods can (and should) be downloaded.

OBSE homepage: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://obse.silverlock.org/">http://obse.silverlock.org/</a><!-- m -->
#
Anonymous1157 14 years ago
Nice lappy! (Lucky.)

I just recently filled my 20GB HDD up until I had to convert some of my files to other formats to free more space. I'm surprised it took me so long to fill it.

... Actually, I'm still surprised I have my sanity. My dad has upgraded almost every other computer in the house to have +2GB RAM, and I'm still stuck with 256MB just 'cause it's a lappy. (Running Fx3 and SharpEnviro simultaneously takes up 256MB, by the way.)
#
Forum » New Computer

Your email:
Your name: