Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Scavenge!

Scavenge!

Pete 14 years ago

Here's a little something Ive been working on in my spare time... a short story entitled Scavenge! You play the role of an unfortunate shipwreck victim, who washes up on the shore of a special island...

One download location...
And another.

EDIT: I guess some installation instructions would be nice, so, what you do is extract this into the Drifmoon folder, then start the game as usual and use the red ring to the left of the path to the house.
#
E_net4 14 years ago
Arr, nice stuff ye did thar, matey!

Let this be the beginning of Driftmoon modding. Don't give up and spread the knowledge.
#
Endymion 14 years ago
Quite nice except that Martin usually gets stuck for awhile at the beginning while trying to walk to the hut and all the shoving and teleporting hurts my eyes. addForce would be much nicer looking than shoving but can easily cause quite strong kickback if you walk into it for a while and as for stopping player movement you can teleport player to invisible cage made out of 4 rectangular objects that have weight of 0 and are hidden and unhidden when necessary( you can leave corners open without allowing player to walk through) although getting it small enough to really prevent moving can be a bit tricky since it refuses to teleport if it's too small.

When walking with Martin to the place with stepon script he talks to me while he's still quite far away but lowering the distance he needs to be stopped it from working at all for some strange reason and moving waypoint2 messed up his walking... after some further messing I'm still quite confused by it but adding delay seemed to make him walk further...
Also you can avoid stepon scripts sweep within the 0.2 seconds since it's distance isn't larger than conditions distance.

In the wishing well you can't really see the water since there's stuff blocking the light from reaching it enough to notice it.

Overall you made quite nice use of the items without having to add any new ones and that portal was pretty and helped me to figure out how to make animations
#
Anne 14 years ago
Thanks Pete! It must have taken some time to figure out & implement all that! Scavenge was inventive, and quite challenging at times. [If you play it, remember to save, I didn't and had to restart from the beginning.] I played it through (was able to open the magic portal at least?), and Ville followed from the side once in a while. He's at home with the flue, you see...

We were both impressed with what you've put together! You had even used some features neither of us remembered were there...
#
ville 14 years ago
This is really something, makes me eager to get the automatic mod distributing system working.
#
Crazy 14 years ago
Whee! I love how there's mods before the game is released.
#
LunaticNeko 14 years ago
This is the result of open module system, unlike many capitalists that close-shut their own systems to prevent "hacks". "Open" games are bound to get community support, and my support too, even if I don't actively do modding anymore.

@Ville: Automatic mod distribution? Something like moddb or something? Or integrated into the game?
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
"Thaimodz" said:
This is the result of open module system, unlike many capitalists that close-shut their own systems to prevent "hacks". "Open" games are bound to get community support, and my support too, even if I don't actively do modding anymore.
Even "closed" games, if popular enough (and old enough), can still get community modifications. HardWar was actually hacked directly in the assembly code, and despite MechWarrior 4 having no modding support whatsoever, a group was able to insert a whole slew of new mechs into the game (in fact, for those of you who haven't heard, MekTek (the group that made the MekPaks that modded MW4) has been given official permission to release MW4 (including the two official 'mech packs) for free, which they've been preparing for for some time).

"Thaimodz" said:
@Ville: Automatic mod distribution? Something like moddb or something? Or integrated into the game?
In-game mod downloading/management is awesome, as my fellow Blockland players can attest (another amazing community contribution, Return to Blockland, adds an in-game mod management window, which even allows you to browse RTB's download servers and download new mods (and update old ones) without leaving the game). A particularly fascinating feature is the ability to see which mods a server is running before you join it (assuming the server also uses RTB), allowing you to download the pertinent ones (those that add content as opposed to change behavior (which are server-side)) directly from RTB's servers, instead of going through the slow process of having the server transfer them to you.
#
ville 14 years ago
My plan is to have a mod browser within the game launcher. I haven't decided how I will structure it all yet, as I'm hoping to add automatic mod publishing to it as well.
But let's not go into mod browser details in this thread.
#
Pete 12 years ago
Right, updated & uploaded to the mod browser.

first mod is mine, mwahahaha
#
ville 12 years ago
I'm actually amazed you managed to open the map file, it's been what, over a year?
Did you get my feedback from the game? It sends the feedback to the mod owner as well as me, in case it's a technical problem.
#
Pete 12 years ago
Theres been one or two missing textures, had to switch a weapon or two around, and whenever I clicked on the chest it crashed, but thats about it... like I said, suprisingly easy.

As for the feedback, where would that end up? If it goes to email, it might take a while to get there, seznam isnt all that... fast.
#
ville 12 years ago
That would be the email you registered as a modder with.
If you ever get it to crash again, I'd be more than happy to add a decent error message to the game if I can get the crashing map. Notrium never had error messages, and that was one of the biggest flaws of Notrium modding. So I'm learning...
#
Pete 12 years ago
I didnt get any reports so far. It COULD just be seznam being extremely unreliable...
#
shafk 12 years ago
Can you please confirm that the Journal Works, I see Check Boxes but absolutely no text.
This makes it difficult to complete the module unless I write everything down.

The Mod might need to be re-imported into alpha 5 to confirm all features work.
I tend to get stuck after getting the bone because I don't know where to teleport to.
#
ville 12 years ago
Or possibly it should be possible to disable the journal button for a mod, in case there are no quests.
#
reaver894 12 years ago
Gonna have another play through of the Bit of driftmoon available and then have a go at this
#
Pete 12 years ago
I should probably mention the portal at the end doesnt actually lead anywhere. Should probably fix that one of these days but my attention spaohshiny!
#
Forum » Scavenge!

Your email:
Your name: