Redemption 14 years ago
2010!
#
Zankman 14 years ago
A bit early? (or not?)

Happy New year!
#
Redemption 14 years ago
About an hour late, actually (Aussie time).
#
Anonymous1157 14 years ago
It's still eleven in the afternoon of the eve of the date in question in America.

... Wow, that's a strangely-worded sentence! Anyhow, happy new year to everyone, no matter what your timezone may be. I'm not going to make a New Year's resolution because I know I won't keep it.
#
NeoGangster 14 years ago
Happy new year to everyone
#
Murska 14 years ago
Happy new year, as soon as it rolls in.
#
Pete 14 years ago
Ctrl+c, ctrl+v.
#
Grim Reaper 14 years ago
Happy new year! Just a few more hours 'til the release of the second part of the Doctor Who 2009 Christmas / 2010 New Year special!
#
E_net4 14 years ago
Well, late happy 2010.

At least I'm just in time to say hello to the GMT - 2 guys, who are huh... *checks map* in the Atlantic Ocean...
#
MageKing17 14 years ago
Happy new year to my overseas friends. It's still over five hours for us here, though...
#
I've about an hour to go at this point. All I can think of is how silly it would sound if I told someone I haven't showered since last year.
#
Zankman 14 years ago
It's sad when a New Year's party ends in blood. Especially on a innocent girls face.
#
"Zankman" said:
It sad when a New Year's party ends in blood. Especially on a innocent girls face.
Wait, what?
#
Zankman 14 years ago
This year we were celebrating new year like "big boys", at a huge party... Dunno the correct word, but one of those big parties with about 300 people you don't know, most of them older than you (21)... In a big dance hall, with live band and such...

Anyways, my brother and I got bored about 02:00 AM so we found our friend and told him that we are going. He tells us "O.K. you get your coats (outside) and I'll check around if i'll stay". We get outside...
Then, BANG, lights go on, people start coming out, one security guy is carrying a screaming girl all bloody in the face, more guys, also covered in blood, start coming out... They start, some more drunk than others, "common', what are you waiting for?", "lets go you fucking pussy, what are you waiting for...". Hooligans, ya know... Security blocking the entrance, police and ambulance arriving... Chaos. "We have a situation here, get the emergency room ready...", that's what I heard a paramedic say. The coat guy fricked out, it took him 10 mins to get our coats.

I thanked my brother several times for making me go outside minutes ago.
#
Narvius 14 years ago
A very late happy new year.
The last two days were somewhat weird, probably partially due to major sleep deprivation.
Also, I'm happy none of you said anything about 2010 being the start of a new decade.
#
Grim Reaper 14 years ago
"Narvius" said:
Also, I'm happy none of you said anything about 2010 being the start of a new decade.
'Tis but a herald, and a nice round number. People have prepared themselves for the decade to come, more or less, and thus the next change of year comes with less celebration than this one... unless something rather grand is right around the corner by then.

[EDIT] Albeit after giving it some thought, whether or not year 'X0 is the starting year of the decade or the ending year of one depends on whether the years we've been counting are "nth year after event X" or "n years since event X" (former beginning the count at one and the latter at zero).

And then there's the fact that any year is the start of a decade (from year n to n+9), whether you like it or not.
#
Narvius 14 years ago
When saying "decade", I implicitly refer to any period [xx01]-[xx10], the same way I'm implicitly meaning [x001]-[x100] when saying century.
*Most* people agree that there was no year zero, we had 1BC and 1AD. 1AD is the first year of the first decade and the first century, and, obviously, a new decade or century begins when the old one is over.
A decade is ten years (and not "ten years since X happened"), which would be from 1AD to 10AD, and 11AD would be the first year of the second decade.

We count our age the same way.
You turn 1 year old *after* you have finished your first year of life.
That means, basically, you start living with your Year #1 (let's ignore the fact that people exist before they come out of mommy).
The moment you turn 10, you have finished living ten years, one decade.
Then you start your eleventh year of life, which is the beginning of a new decade.

I'm touchy about that, sorry. :>

(Oh, and about the last thing. Yes. Of "a" decade. But pretty much everyone claiming 2010 to be the beginning of a new decade refers to "the 202nd" decade, not any. So, it doesn't really bother me :>
#
... But I thought one was supposed to count from zero to nine, THEN start the next decade with ten because the number in the tens place just increased.
#
Grim Reaper 14 years ago
"Anonymous1157" said:
... But I thought one was supposed to count from zero to nine, THEN start the next decade with ten because the number in the tens place just increased.
Which, apparently, most people do. Also, there's the whole thing with the astronomical yearing method, where 1 BC/BCE is the year zero (this according to Wikipedia).
#
Narvius 14 years ago
Zero is a very young number, mind you. That's why this confusion exists :>
Also, yes. 1980 was the last year of the 70s. At least mathematically.
But who am I to oppose mass stupidity?
#
"Narvius" said:
Zero is a very young number, mind you. That's why this confusion exists :>
Also, yes. 1980 was the last year of the 70s. At least mathematically.
But who am I to oppose mass stupidity?
It's not mass stupidity. It's a misnomer! (Kinda like how when one "charges" a battery, it does not involve storing a charge.)
#
Narvius 14 years ago
No matter how you call it, I still find it annoying :>
#
Forum » Happy new year!

Your email:
Your name: