Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Will everything work with wine / linux x86_64?

Will everything work with wine / linux x86_64?

unsfa 13 years ago
Hi!

Will everything work with wine / linux x86_64 at the point Driftmoon is released?

Somewhere some sound issues and/or crashes with an earlier demo version were mentioned I think... is there maybe a list somewhere what windows libraries the game uses (uhm... those dll thingies... ) or something?

Thx!
#
Vacuus 13 years ago
Yeah, I had some trouble with the sound crashing WINE (multilib version, this was before 64bit wine was avaliable) but IIRC Ville changed this not long afterwards so it might infact be fine.

Only way to find out would be to preorder!
#
ville 13 years ago
It should work fine, since it uses just plain DirectX 9 for sound and graphics. I am hoping to test it myself before long.
#
lindquist 13 years ago
Hey.

I've played through the preorder demo on my x86-64 ArchLinux box with Wine 1.3.6. It worked out of the box with no glitches as far as I could find.

Although I had expected the demo would have been just a little bit longer...

-Tomas
#
ville 13 years ago
Good to hear that!
#
unsfa 13 years ago
Thanks, that was exactly the Information I was looking for! Just tried it, works fine on my x86-64 ArchLinux box with Wine 1.3.6 too

Just three minor things:
- There's no mouse pointer unless I start the exe directly from Driftmoon's home directory
- The dialogue font is sort of hard to read and all fonts are sort of small - then again, I didn't configure stuff & dpi or whatever after installing wine
- Hardly noticeable horizontal screen tear. Might be a wine issue, maybe no vsync.

(strange, for some reason arch seems to be all over the place for some months now already and I'm not even counting the stuff that's somehow related to what's in the repos / AUR)
#
ville 13 years ago
I will add the option to select screen modes later, possibly that will help with most of those problems. Right now the game isn't forcing VSync, so it has to be configured in the graphics settings for the computer. But it's good to hear it runs with so minor problems!
#
jgprof 12 years ago
Hi,

Just another success report that might help others trying to install Driftmoon on 64 bit Linux.

A few months ago I was running Fedora 13 (very out of date...) and, as far as I can remember, Drifmoon installed fine out of the box. I played both the 110404 and 110609 alpha releases to completion without problems. I can't remember what versions I had of everything, but I was using the proprietary nvidia driver (from the rpmfusion repos), a GeForce GT240 and the PAE kernel.

I recently installed Fedora 15 and have only just got Driftmoon_110609 working again. This installation is x86_64 (2.6.40.3-0.fc15.x86_64), with the same hardware and the nvidia drivers version 280.13 (provided by akmod-nvidia). I installed the wine.i686 package (NOT wine.x86_64 -- I couldn't get it working with the 64 bit package at all). Wine is at version 1.3.24. I also installed wine-alsa.i686 and alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, though I'm not sure if these were strictly necessary.

This time Driftmoon did not work out of the box. It installed relatively smoothly (wine always seems to spit out a load of error messages which don't actually seem to affect anything, and the first time you install something it seems to want to install Gecko twice). However, after entering my key it failed with an error message stating that it couldn't find DirectX 9. Amongst other things, the terminal output included:

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly

After a lot of messing around the solution turned out to be quite simple: install the 32 bit opengl libs. On fedora this is simply a case of:

sudo yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

Driftmoon now runs well with a few minor issues:
[list]
[*]In fullscreen there is a very annoying tearing artifact. At least it looks like a tear, but I don't think it's anything to do with vsync (which is enabled in the driftmoon graphics options and in nvidia-settings).[/*:m]
[*]In windowed mode there is no tearing but the motion is sometimes slightly jerky...it's still very playable.[/*:m]
[*]As with unsfa's experience, some of the fonts look a little crap (like they've been reduced in size and not filtered first) but they're still readable. As (s)he said, it may be possible to fix this by messing with the dpi settings in winecfg, but it's not severe enough for me to care about.[/*:m][/list:u]

I suspect that all of these issues are wine related rather than driftmoon's fault. Good work, Ville and Anne!
#
ville 12 years ago
It's great to hear that you got it working jgprof! It probably needed the OpenGL drivers because it's emulating DirectX on OpenGL. I should try the game myself on Wine some day, it might be possible to fix some of the problems...
#
Einar Lielmanis (guest) 11 years ago
Hmm, the newest alpha (2012-07-02) seems to be ~not~ under wine (at least current wine 1.5.7 under 64-bit archlinux box), falling with an unhandled exception c0000005 at 0x439aa5.

I don't know if that's the problem with the specific version of wine or the driftmoon build (I don't have any previous builds available) but a while ago (alpha-8 or so) I successfully completed the whole content a couple of times just fine —

so if anyone would give me a link to an alpha-8 build, I could verify and/or do a little wine debugging if that turns out to be the wine problem.
#
unsfa 11 years ago
lol, bad update timing ^^

Just noticed that too and submitted the bug shortly before I came here:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31115

Driftmoon still works like "Platinum" with wine 1.5.6
( ... and the older driftmoon versions don't work with 1.5.7 either)

I have no idea what I'm doing (that looks like a mess thanks to me now, I think I attached the bug to the wrong appdb entry, too xD), but it looks like stuff... is being... looked into... by people... already.

Edited 11 years ago
#
Anonymous1157 11 years ago
Damn, ninja'd. Good call posting the bug on WineHQ.

I think Wine 1.5.7 is broken, 'cause a lot of games including Driftmoon aren't working properly for me. (I'm about to try installing them under another version.) Some other programs like Office 2003 are actually running better than before, though, so I don't really know what's going on. Driftmoon is working under Wine 1.5.6.

This is a log from the PlayOnLinux debugger that might help, in case there is anything that Ville can do about it:
[07/03/12 13:21:57] - Running wine-1.5.7 Driftmoon.exe (Working directory : /home/anony/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Driftmoon/drive_c/Program Files/Driftmoon)
Connected to ROOT\CIMV2 WMI namespace
fixmele:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7dd19c98, 0x13d9b0, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7dd19c98
: File exists
An unexpected error has occurred.
*** A Program Fault occurred:
*** Error code C0000005: ACCESS VIOLATION
*** Address: 004DFA75
*** Flags: 00000000

Fault Occurred At $ADDRESS:004DFA75
with : File exists
00 : File exists
73 : File exists
99 : File exists
5D : File exists
BA : File exists
1D : File exists
FF : File exists
5A : File exists
14 : File exists
B0 : File exists
C6 : File exists
0F : File exists

*** 0 called from $ADDRESS:00000000
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x439aa5
#
ville 11 years ago
That does sound like a Wine problem. Feel free to try some of these older Driftmoon versions (note that it'll take about half an hour from now for them to upload completely):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6584112/Driftmoon_2012_04_20.exe
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6584112/Driftmoon_2012_05_29.exe

As far as I know, I haven't changed the Driftmoon internals all that much, it's mostly just content. But if there's anything I can do to help it run on Wine, I'd love to hear that.

If it's failing in the installer, I've actually switched to the newest Innosetup version recently, could be that?

Edited 11 years ago
#
MageKing17 11 years ago
It really sounds like a problem with Wine 1.5.7. I highly recommend people use 1.5.6 for Driftmoon (and any other programs so affected) until this issue gets fixed.
#
In case any of the other Linux users are keeping track of this thread, Wine 1.5.8 is out, and Driftmoon still doesn't work. However, a fix has been written and it should be in the next release.
#
ville 11 years ago
Great to hear that! Those guys are effective!
#
ville 11 years ago
As far as I can tell, the new Wine 1.5.9 should support Driftmoon again. Haven't had a chance to try it, but it says so here:

"Wine 1.5.9 also comes with fixes for the following Windows games: Dogfighter, Mini Golf, eXperience 112, Dragon Age: Origins, GTA2, Dota 2, Fifa 2005 Demo, StarTopia, Driftmoon..."

If any of you have tried it, please tell us how it went!
#
[07/19/12 08:47:49] - Running wine-1.5.9 Driftmoon.exe (Working directory : /home/anony/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Driftmoon/drive_c/Program Files/Driftmoon)
fixmele:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
Connected to ROOT\CIMV2 WMI namespace
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7dd147dc, 0x13d270, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7dd147dc
An unexpected error has occurred.
*** A Program Fault occurred:
*** Error code C0000005: ACCESS VIOLATION
*** Address: 004DFA75
*** Flags: 00000000

Fault Occurred At $ADDRESS:004DFA75
0C : File exists
EF : File exists
32 : File exists
C3 : File exists
8B : File exists
C4 : File exists
7B : File exists
60 : File exists
FE : File exists
14 : File exists

*** 0 called from $ADDRESS:7BCA530C

*** 1 called from $ADDRESS:00000000
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x439aa5

... So, no. It at least still doesn't work on an Ubuntu flavor using PlayOnLinux's Wine versions.
#
unsfa 11 years ago
Can confirm that. Not sure if it's still the same bug, though - I think the output with WINEDEBUG=+wbemprox looks slightly different now? No idea what a "WMI class" is, but more than just the newly implemented ones might be needed? Like "Win32_Processor" if that's one of those?

So... if anyone knows whether the old bug should be reopened or a new one created and what's all that about - I'm going to wait a day or two before I throw a coin and press random button on that bugtracker again

BTW: It looks like wine isn't really giving out any hardware information - it's just always giving the same default / dummy values. So... depending on what that information is used for by Driftmoon, that could lead to some confusion too, I guess?

Edited 11 years ago
#
Driftmoon is working again in Wine 1.5.10 with one inconvenience.

Driftmoon on Wine 1.5.10 can't find your registration info from <=1.5.7 and will ask you to reenter your license key. Switching back to an older Wine version will use your old registration info just fine, and entering your key again for 1.5.10 works as intended. (I was expecting it to have trouble saving a new code as long as it can't read the old one, but that doesn't appear to be the case.)
#
Forum » Will everything work with wine / linux x86_64?

Your email:
Your name: