Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31

Narvius 13 years ago
    You've emphasized they cannot be substracted. Does that mean other operations are possible? Can you add creature bars to player bars? Then you can work around with temp. bars.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    Having checked thoroughly on everything, Player Bars cannot be *subtracted* from creature bars, making any attempt to make armour "count" towards this damage impossible.
    Do you mean effect 69 doesn't work?
    "notes.txt" said:
    69=add player's bar parameter1 to creature's bar parameter2
    Subtraction is just adding a negated number.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    The effect (28? 35? I forget) with Creature Bar + Other Creature Bar * Parameter1 allows subtraction by multiplying the bar by -X.

Effect 69 explicitly is just: Add Bar X to Bar Y. No multiplier available.

You cannot subtract because you cannot have Bar -X, as there is no "-X" bar, if you understand my meaning; you'd need the multiplier parameter. And, if I could subtract directly, then stats wouldn't need the second bar at all (though back when I was working on Wer Ex. there wasn't even an effect 69, so it's only possible in the first place because I can add now).

If Ville wants to update Notrium again to implement a multiplication parameter in effect 69 then everything would be made simple for me, but I figure the gent's busy working on Driftmoon as is, so I'll just work with what I've got, same with the conditions I have to work around the absence of.

On the other hand, you defintely cannot add a creature bar to a player bar (a theoretical effect 70 I suppose). If you could, I could cover multiple aliens with stats of their own and make a fully stat based combat system from the Notrium engine.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Keep two armor bars for the player, one negated.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    Keep two armor bars for the player, one negated.

I'm afraid I don't understand, could you please clarify what you're trying to help achieve?
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    You cannot subtract because you cannot have Bar -X, as there is no "-X" bar
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Ah hah! I understand now. Make a bar into a negative and then use that! Thanks, I'll test it out.

I've now actually implemented the stats that have to do with damage as negative bars with reversed bar length. This allows damage to be calculated instantly, with only the health bar called and no scripting. I've not yet tested multipliers, but so long as nobody actually minds the bars being negative then I'll stick with this instead as a much more efficient system.

Sidenote: 16 item textures done. My soul is slowly being ground down pixel by pixel. Only Reaper claw weapon to do.

The Pilgrim has now frames for each weapon type.

Two test maps implemented.

One "condition" script introduced - Heatstroke. Whilst suffering from a condition, you'll pick up symptoms for that illness, such as dizziness, nausea, exhaustion, blindness.... These things won't automatically kill you, but it will be possible to accumulate multiple negative states at once. If you're suffering from enough illnesses, you'll have a chance of dying.
    If your temperature starts exceeding a certain point, you will still lose health directly, of course.

Codewise, this uses a single bar as a binary state to check, each condition adds 1, 2, 4, 8 to the bar and each bar is set up to run only when necessary, to keep things tidy.

I've also redone excess bar corrections. Now, rather than having checks that Health etc are over 150%, and draining more rapidly accordingly, being 1% over maximum triggers the bar to deduct 1% of itself each half second. In Hard Mode, there is also a cap on Health and Energy, automatically setting them to 100%.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    I've also redone excess bar corrections. Now, rather than having checks that Health etc are over 150%...
    Where did you find that?
    IIRC, default had "no increase over maximum or decrease over minimum" option for health etc.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Well, the race specialty health control (the usual place for such things) and such wasn't really working out very neatly at all for some reason, so I replaced them all with:

If
    Creature X Bar > 101%
    Then
    Add Creature Bar X to Creature Bar X *-0.01.

I could do the mathematics more correctly if someone wanted to provide me with what the actual percentage of 100% that 1.01% is, but otherwise I'm leaving it as is.

It was so simple I was kicking myself for not doing it before, my specialties per race are way fewer now. I'd have been able to set a single watchdog code and only have two scripts running unless needed, if I had access to an IF NOT statement.

To get a set to maximum going on Hard, I just added two useable tokens to the player inventory on hard mode, one for energy, one for health, used every time the script ticked.

Question for people:
    If people are okay with upping the difficulty somewhat, I could easily change this system to just cap bars to 100% for all difficulties. I appreciate this may be a little "hardcore" approach, that's why the -1% of current is implemented right now. But if you're happy with not being able to be healthier than 100%, and not have more food than 100% without having an erupted lower intestine, then let me know.

And... does anyone understand polygons.dat? Because I sure don't, and that makes me inclined not to mess with it.
    #
    Endymion 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:

Question for people:
    If you make it so that you are unable to eat/heal once the bar is at 100% then I see no problem with it(on second thought doing so might even prevent the need to cap it), but I don't really see the point of it, as far as I remember the rapid depletion of the >100% bars made sure that there wasn't much point in going over it and if for some reason player has no problem wasting his resources like that then I think that it would be more of a problem with having too many resources or something than being able to use them like that.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    I think default didn't have all so much difficulty despite of hard health bars. As well as allowing >100% didn't help W/E either, IMHO.

@EDIT
    About polygons - is it crucial for the mod? This file only describes possible collision detection shapes. It's a good idea not to rely on Notrium's collision detection all too much.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Polygons do indeed cover collision detection - my only, and main, worry is that I'll be including new props to make up walls, different rocks and crashed ships (since ZeXLR8er made an open offer to use Wazzal II features as desired, I'm seriously considering including a few of those gorgeous wreckage textures), can I just use the existing polygons or would I have to make some?

Alright, I'll strip out the nancy boy %1 reduction when I get back home. Maximum Health will be much more important now (and most issues arise out of effects that don't allow "respect maximum" anyway). But.... Yeah, actually it's food and drink I see as being the main issue, the aliens in particular could devour enough food to not have to worry about such things ever again.

Oh right, Fungus and Plants will all be gatherable, as opposed to instant use, so you'll be able to accumulate them as you find them rather than having to remember where they were. And no, you won't be able to tell rotten and ripe fungus apart without grabbing it.

Weapon finished: Punch, and all associated items.
    Items: I'll be skipping psionic token graphics until 0.2. If you have any preferences to graphics standards (stick with a simple icon/symbol interface?) now's the time to let me know, rather than after I start on the forty-odd psionic-specific items.

As far as technological graphics are concerned, I have one hundred and thirty five graphics to do. So long as you don't mind the vast majority of items being Goggle icons, the thirty or so hours this will take me will probably take place after 0.1 as well, but as before, any help for the simpler stuff is welcome if anyone wants to volunteer.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    ...can I just use the existing polygons or would I have to make some?
    Depending on if their shapes are already in default polygons.dat (plus round shape - I'm not sure really but I get it so it exists by default, without mentioning). And only if they are convex. Concave polygons may have quirks.

"TNN17" said:
    If you have any preferences to graphics standards (stick with a simple icon/symbol interface?) now's the time to let me know, rather than after I start on the forty-odd psionic-specific items.
    I had a thought about a way of representing which items can/not be dropped. If you do not separate them into different inventories, I'd suggest making a solid-color background in non-droppable items. Since they're .png, you can have transparency zero all over the pic, so it shouldn't be a problem, I guess. (Also, since it cannot be dropped, its backgound color won't spoil the picture, and inside an inventory a player can tell its kind instanly, without applying brains )
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    I currently have something like that for "tokens", a round tile background to surround the picture, like so:

You'd want a universal background for, I assume "Fist", "Pummel", every psionic token, every ability and every Alien item?

Edit: Also - If I started storing all these items into separate inventories, it would mess up weapon selection, combining them with other items, and generally make things hit fans, I'm afraid that's out.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    You might use that background for categorisation (attack, support, whatever), or possibly a hint what combinations are possible (I don't exactly know how that would be possible), or how many tokens were used to build it. If any of this metadata would be included (which could be achieved by coloration, edge shape or texture, and so on), the player'd have to figure it out by himself, of course.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    You might use that background for categorisation (attack, support, whatever), or possibly a hint what combinations are possible (I don't exactly know how that would be possible), or how many tokens were used to build it. If any of this metadata would be included (which could be achieved by coloration, edge shape or texture, and so on), the player'd have to figure it out by himself, of course.

I rather like the idea of colour coding between Tool, Armour and Weapon actually. For the meta data however, how would I go about including it any way but retroactively?
    You'd have to see X's icon to determine what X is made of....

I could put a small, coloured "dot" in the corner of a psionic f00 for each of the eight other basic tokens it could combine with. Higher up abilities will only have a single dot of each component (so a Heat/Motion power which could mix with a Heat/Light power would only show a Red "Heat" dot). How about that?
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    That sounds pretty solid actually, as it makes simple combinations obvious and more complex ones guessable.
    It'd be a bit problematic if you wanted to change anything, though.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Not too bad for future modding I'd say, so long as you have something that can save PNGs, you don't even have to worry about transparency, just add a spot a few pixels down on your edit.

There is the problem with size, since you would always have to include textures, but I'll have redone so many images by the time this is done the thing will probably be the same size as the game itself.

Oh joy. I get home to discover that due to a file error I've lost a day of progress. Back to the grind.

Edit: Oh hey, having had to redo it, I'd discovered that you can use effect 63 "set random" to set a bar to maximum (including lowering it). This just simplified my scripts even further.

Edit 2: Has anyone experienced an inability to Activate scripts and have them keep running? I can run a script by itself fine, I can deactivate it fine, but if I set a script to activate another script, the net result is sweet Fanny Adams.

Edit 3: Finally got everything pinned back together. Spawns now function correctly, Scripts have been replaced, and all is once again right with the world.

How interested would you be in a "safety catch" for selected items? I could easily take out Pebbles, Fists, Pummel and other "low tier" items with a single universal letter command in the inventory if people wanted, though I'd not do so for every weapon.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    How interested would you be in a "safety catch" for selected items? I could easily take out Pebbles, Fists, Pummel and other "low tier" items with a single universal letter command in the inventory if people wanted, though I'd not do so for every weapon.
    Great thing. It's always made me boil when I accidentally switched to punch vs Dire Reaper and such.

"Narvius" said:
    When you said about different background colours, it came to mind to mark psionic's basic tokens single color, combination of 2 tokens to be painted half-one color, half-another, etc. Placing dots on them may make those dots very small in high combinations to display this all, so...
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Alright, having played around with token-based and regular systems, I'm inclined to go for a binary bar:
    adding 1, 2, 4 etc to a single bar to determine what's safety'd and what isn't.

So... how complicated would you like it? I'd prefer to keep it small (binary checks are fairly clunky at larger sizes), and controlled by a single, undroppable "safety" token that disables and enables everything in a group.

1: Unarmed - Disables Punch/Pummel (All Melee Basic abilities) Probably also, when Scavenger/Werivar are implemented, any BASE level claws.
    2: Base Tech - Pebbles, sticks and the like - anything natural that's automatically a "weapon".
    4: Android's Cutting Torch (potentially dangerous as an energy consuming weapon) / Psionic Aggression Tokens (base token, weak and inefficient).
    8: Grenades (repair unit style equivalents) and any other single use, hard to make weapon.

Anything that is advanced will not be safety-able, given the weight of certain advanced tools (you'd need at least 100 carrying capacity just to carry one of each of the "top" level weapons), you probably shouldn't be needlessly carrying all your worldly possessions.

Anyone have a pressing need to subcategorise?
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    I wonder whether you'll break the engine with too much stuff.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Unarmed / low-tech / beginner specials / single-use items. Seems to be quite consistent list to me.

I thought about making repair kit booms usable only by a hotkey in default, but safety catch is an idea far more advanced
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    I wonder whether you'll break the engine with too much stuff.

I haven't.... Yet.

Fire is now implemented, as a creature. This means that fire will now be a valuable resource, as it will no longer last forever. It will also burn you if you decide to take a nap inside the flames (wasn't that in SOS as well?). I still have to code in cooking browns with then (condition 14 I believe) but I'm hitting the sack after this update.

Also implemented this evening and working correctly are: Bleeding (Reaper claws have a small chance of causing that, making the little suckers more lethal than ever), malnutrition, heat stroke (including temporary blindness for added fun!) and dehydration.

I've redone it to a new token system, rather than a multiple check binary, with incremental results based on how severe the malady is (for example, blindness only kicks in at incredibly high rates of heat stroke, and severe enough bleeding can kill you from full health in about five to ten seconds), all in a much tidier, less script intensive way.

In preparation for 0.1, I've provided a functional creature detector and made the area manager a green particle so you'll be able to see its movement, as well as made all the seeds themselves visible and identifiable. There may be some balances on how far away they need to be for them to germinate.

Safety catches have been successfully implemented for fists and works fine, but I had to do two buttons per weapon type rather than a single button toggle (1 disables X, 2 reenables, 3/4 disable/enable Y etc...).

Corpses are implemented (except for browns, Reaper corpses even stop bleeding), which leaves about forty to fifty items to provide images and entries for. Once they're in place all that remains is to code up the second Area Manager and I'll have version 0.1 up and ready for inspection.

After I wake up that is, laters.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    As far as I understand, safety catches are now invisible items, accessed only via hotkeys? Maybe it's possible to get them visible in some special control inventory. I bet they aren't switched on and off all so frequently - as soon as I get some decent weapon, I'd prefer to switch off the tech that's lower than that weapon, except, perhaps, if I have little to no ammo for it. Also, the one-use items may have default "off" setting. But that's all just interface comfort, lol.
    Overall necessary but anyway...
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    To clarify:

There is a single "safety switch" token. By pressing 1 on it, you'll activate the safety for Punch, 2, deactivate the safety for Punch. 3 activates the Pebble Safety, 4 deactivates it again. 5 / 6 handle Cutting Torch / Aggression / Claws etc, 7 / 8 will deactivate grenades and other single use items.
    No invisible items, no mystery, it's currently right there in main inventory as an undroppable with the instructions for use.

I had wanted to handle this as a simple "toggle", with one button handling both disabling and enabling per type, but a simple toggle is actually surprisingly difficult, hence the two button system.

This is the first of hopefully several "ability" and "option" tokens, which will end up in the second inventory page, and any other options I need to include, any informational tokens (one to explain all the quick keys for example).

Later this will let me actually house the universal hotkey abilities (Such as "E"mergency armour, which will cycle through all available armour types of all available characters from worst to best, leaving you with the best armour possible equipped at the touch of a button - but disabled normally) wherever, and explain their use in a tidy way in the second inventory without them getting lost in the clutter of the inventory.

And sure, making one-use items safety'd by default is simple, remind me once I've actually implemented everything in between, it's just a matter of changing startup variables.

I'm not sure if technological weaponry can so easily be broken into "lower tech" versus higher tech for deactivation however, there's not a simple "X > Y" I can implement across the board for all forty weapons, and it's honestly not worth the fuss - if you don't want to draw your Knife in the middle of a gun fight, don't bring your knife to a gunfight.

In other news: Progress continues. I am so sick of graphics.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    ... "E"mergency armour.
    Are you going to use "E" key for this? I thought that "E" was hard-coded for weapon switch...
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Oh yes? Blast, you're probably right. Guess it'll be "M"ister Gency's Armour then.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    Oh yes? Blast, you're probably right. Guess it'll be "M"ister Gency's Armour then.
    Wow, that's pretty far away
    And the spacebar isn't programmable AFAIK.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Some people are never happy eh?
    How about.... Mister "G"ency's Armour? I'm not forgetting any hard-coded G-key there am I?

In other news: Nineteen items with new images. Safety Catches finished for all four weapon types. I want at least four actual, functioning, weapons available, and the item spawner set up, at which point I'll start looking into hosting.

I'm considering adding a Safety informational standard to each weapon which is caches under this, at the beginning of the short description, there'll just be (S1), (S3), (S5) or (S7). Is this clear enough for you folks?

Off topic since this is the only active topic in modding: I'll never use it since I don't believe Notrium FM will be a big enough area or a small enough planet to merit being round, but rather than hundreds.thousands of plot objects, why not have a map edge on each side populated completely by terrain types that teleports you to the opposite side of the world? That way you'll still see a green border for crossing over, and still walk there, you'll just *plink* and be there. This needs only the two types of terrain per map-vertical, if you're happy to end up in the middle of the map on the other side, since you can mass produce terrain so much more easily than plot objects.

Even if you really wanted to get advanced, unless you desparately wanted to enforce the illusion of a perfectly round world, you would need only six terrain types per y-axis map accessible, for top/middle/bottom map arrival.

For a non-toroidal world, you could also have a buffer map on the southern and northern-most borders which would teleport you to another map along that border, it's really quite simple.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    Some people are never happy eh?
    How about.... Mister "G"ency's Armour? I'm not forgetting any hard-coded G-key there am I?
    Yeah. Just delete "G"oggles' quick key if they're still in.

About the planet's round shape - fine if you can do that
    I'm not sure I quite understood the principle, however how are polar maps supposed to behave if you go further up in the North pole? In fact it's, like, going halfway across this same area. I'd suggest dual polar maps - two at the North, two at the South. For example, when you cross the border up in the North, you finish in the upper region of the other North polar map, with same longitude (X coordinate, so to say). When you go down in any of them, you get into that particular area that was linked with it. When you cross the border either left or right, you simply switch between them. Same with the South, but upside down.

NN
    XXXX
    XXXXXX
    XXXXXX
    XXXX
    SS

etc.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Exactly as you said - At a pole, travelling further north will.... Actually deposit you elsewhere on the northern-most part of the map, just as does travelling "north" in any sphere, you go far enough, you end up going south.

To actually achieve this, on a 3x3 grid, you'd actually have to make it a 5x5 grid.
    ovvvo
    >xxx<
    >xxx<
    >xxx<
    o^^^o

o = no map.
    v/>/^/< = switch map, populated by no-random object, teleport to one of the x maps.
    x = regular areas.

But it's still much easier this way than the traditionally recommended "kazillion plot object" method.

On topic: Successfully created an item seed. This seed takes the time it's spawned from the player's own clock, and then germinates 24 hours later. If the player isn't on the map, this doesn't matter - it will then germinate as soon as the player enters the map (give or take a second), so long as it's been twenty four hours.

Seed;//name---------------------------------------
    begin_timed_block;//AI see angle
    1000;
    begin_conditions;
    38;//condition
    16.000000;//condition parameter0
    1.000000;//condition parameter1
    end_conditions;
    begin_effects;
    69;//effect number
    16.000000;//parameter1
    16.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    69;//effect number
    17.000000;//parameter1
    17.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    69;//effect number
    19.000000;//parameter1
    19.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    20.000000;//parameter1
    16.000000;//parameter2
    720.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    20.000000;//parameter1
    19.000000;//parameter2
    24.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    20.000000;//parameter1
    19.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    4;//effect number
    -842.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    20.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    4;//effect number
    6.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    16.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    end_effects;
    2000;
    begin_conditions;
    3;//condition
    16.000000;//condition parameter0
    2.000000;//condition parameter1
    end_conditions;
    begin_effects;
    17;//effect number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2
    16.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    69;//effect number
    16.000000;//parameter1
    16.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    17;//effect number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2
    17.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    69;//effect number
    17.000000;//parameter1
    17.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    17;//effect number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2
    19.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    69;//effect number
    19.000000;//parameter1
    19.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    17;//effect number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2
    21.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    21.000000;//parameter1
    16.000000;//parameter2
    720.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    21.000000;//parameter1
    17.000000;//parameter2
    24.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    21.000000;//parameter1
    19.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    4;//effect number
    6.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    16.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    4;//effect number
    5.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    17.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    4;//effect number
    6.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    19.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    end_effects;
    2000;
    begin_conditions;
    3;//condition
    21.000000;//condition parameter0
    10.000000;//condition parameter1
    end_conditions;
    begin_effects;
    63;//effect number
    1.000000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    20.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    28;//effect number
    0.000000;//parameter1
    21.000000;//parameter2
    -1.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    end_effects;
    end_timed_block;
    begin_specialties;//AI see angle
    Spawn Date;//description
    0;//number
    16.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    6.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    ;//description
    0;//number
    17.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    31.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    ;//description
    0;//number
    19.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    24.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    ;//description
    0;//number
    20.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    4344.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    ;//description
    0;//number
    21.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    4344.000000;//parameter2
    1.000000;//parameter3
    ;//description
    0;//number
    0.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    25.000000;//parameter2
    25.000000;//parameter3
    end_specialties;

To translate, at creature startup, it assigns the starting season, hour and day. It then multiplies those into hours and slaps them into a StartTime bar, then sets season to max to avoid running the start up again.

Every other second, it sets a secondary CurrentTime bar to the current time.
    Also every other second, it sets health to max, then adds the first countdown and subtracts the second.

As soon as CurrentTime is over 24 more than StartTime, it will terminate the creature.

And no, don't ask why I have to subtract exactly 842 from the startup amount to make it work, as far as I'm concerned number 842 has mystical powers over time and space.

So yeah, there you are, if you set it to a secondary stat instead of health, and tweaked it so that it checked for a non-zero so the creature didn't die, you could use this same code for pretty much any time based check without needing the player present.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    Exactly as you said - At a pole, travelling further north will.... Actually deposit you elsewhere on the northern-most part of the map, just as does travelling "north" in any sphere, you go far enough, you end up going south.

To actually achieve this, on a 3x3 grid, you'd actually have to make it a 5x5 grid.
    ovvvo
    >xxx<
    >xxx<
    >xxx<
    o^^^o

o = no map.
    v/>/^/< = switch map, populated by no-random object, teleport to one of the x maps.
    x = regular areas.

But it's still much easier this way than the traditionally recommended "kazillion plot object" method.
    I'm not acquainted with this method. Do you mean that the way I described it would need a googol plot objects near the poles' upper and lower borders? The left and right borders are fine in any way you do it.

@EDIT
    Just thought here... Wouldn't it look strange of the PC being able to walk ON FOOT around the WHOLE PLANET, whatever small-or-medium-sized.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    There's no default "wrap" around a planet implemented in the engine, no, so without a buffer map, the edges of the map will not allow passage. This means that you either need the aforementioned googol of plot objects lined along the edge of the border maps to actively 'port a player to the next one, or you need this suggested buffer map technique, which only requires painting terrain tiles, and gives a better indicator of motion than the plot objects, as well as showing a red impassable line.

And yes, it would be silly to walk around a whole planet, but folks've been talking about a round map for years. Might fit if you were playing, say, a starship flying in the upper atmosphere of a planet (Maybe someone can make a Star Control style mod? ). As I said - off topic.

In other news - I've now managed to implement, via tokens and such, an equippable targetting beam. This beam will also boost, temporarily, your accuracy stat, so long as the beam is equipped.

Due to system limitations, and as an anti-cheating measure, if you stay inside the inventory screen and equip, dequip, equip etc, you will amass an ever increasing amount of accuracy, and then the control script will strip you down and leave you at an appropriate state; unless you capped your accuracy stat and kept going, at which point your accuracy stat will punitively zero itself, and remain zero'd for several seconds until the system finishes handling your excess shame.

Since the maximum for a damage stat is higher than will be possible through legal play, the only way there will be issues is if the player tries to abuse the system.

I may be able to tweak this same formula to create a shield (I will not be handling armour this way, it requires one token per armour type) that adds to armour, rather than replacing it, though it will take a slightly different method and may require several further hours of bug cracking to get it going, so it'll have to wait until I've finished up some other stuff first.

To do for 0.1:
    Battery, Power Unit, Fuel Cell, Energy Unit, Energy Coupling, Bow, Arrow, Club, Spear, Blade, Laser Pistol, Pistol, pebbles, pistol chassis, kindling (fire starting), particle accelerator, gauss pistol. Three more item seeds and a second A.M.
    Images still to do:
    Bow, Arrow, Spear, Blade, Laser Pistol, Pistol, Pistol Chassis, Captain cell sheet, Android extra weapon cells.

First time in awhile that list's been short enough to display.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    ... if you stay inside the inventory screen and equip, dequip, equip etc, you will amass an ever increasing amount of accuracy ...
    The unwielding scripts are not launched when in inventory? o_O

"TNN17" said:
    Since the maximum for a damage stat is higher than will be possible through legal play, the only way there will be issues is if the player tries to abuse the system.
    I wonder if a regular play can abuse it instead... (you remember W/E)

"TNN17" said:
    I may be able to tweak this same formula to create a shield (I will not be handling armour this way, it requires one token per armour type) that adds to armour, rather than replacing it...
    One of them wanted features . Why does the engine make this sort of computations so ugly...
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Unwield Script" is unfortunately not what you'd think it would be. It's not a script that runs on unequip, it's a script whose conditions are checked (effects are not), regularly, and the weapon unequips if those conditions are false. It's actually quite awkward to achieve a "if X is not equipped, undo whatever X was giving"; that's why Armour works by setting Armour to X, then setting it to 0 when removed etc, the system just doesn't handle dequipping.

What's actually running is a constant Use Item script with multiple item use conditions to ensure things resolve even as smoothly as they do.

Regular Play:

For regular play, balancing is tricky, not least because each character has their own schtick, things hard to quantify comparatively to stat caps and means of getting them.

If people wanted a universal, permanent stat bonus that was anything but a one-off (think "planetoid" level one-off), then it would by necessity have to be incredibly awkward to attain - with ten points in strength, you can easily take down any non-reaper alien currently in game with a knife, accounting for more than that means I have to make at least certain creatures beefy enough to pose a challenge at that level, which means I'm also punishing players who don't have the optimum choice (I do remember W/E, and I do remember exactly how many races could survive sniper marines, how many races could survive Battledroids etc. and they numbered at most half of the races).

By keeping all these numbers lower, I can keep this under control. Dire Reapers can still be death on legs, but they don't need 1300 health to do it (they'll have 200, regenerate 2/second and be invisible as opposed to bright red ), and they don't need to deal triple digit damage to pose a threat in a setting where half the characters don't have four digit HP (indeed, the Captain will never increase his max HP, and the Android will have only 300 HP after his one-time boost).

"Venom31" said:
    Why does the engine make this sort of computations so ugly...

That's the biggest problem I've faced. Simple Toggle states, condition checks, if/then, time checks and removed-equip effects all have kept me scratching my head trying to find ways to make them happen.
    Other, fairly complicated tasks.... Easy as anything.

For Armour, I could maybe make a "shield/gauntlet" type, and a "helmet" type. I'd be open to suggestions on them once I've had the chance to include all the alien species and items.
    #
    Forum » Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: