Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31

Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    "Unwield Script" is unfortunately not what you'd think it would be. It's not a script that runs on unequip, it's a script whose conditions are checked (effects are not), regularly, and the weapon unequips if those conditions are false.
    Oh crap, had to reread that modding FAQ. The targeting beam (incl. impoved) using no slot behaves strange - it turns off if you drop one of them diodes
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Update time:

All weapon images except the Bow and Arrow's images are done, as are extra images for flamethrowers, blowtorches, extinguishers, and a few other, non-implemented, weapons.
    New images for red, yellow and blue plants are done, their picked forms too.
    The Captain's cell sheets are done, as are the Android's.
    I make no promises as to graphical quality.

Item's-wise, I believe all the relevant non-weapon items are implemented and functional except for kindling (no particular reason, I've been busy on images). Tools will be implemented as item-only this version (there being no friendly targets, repairing with its weapon use is just a waste of energy/fatigue), solely so they can be used to make arrows.

The android will be provided with a suit of normally Captain-only armour as its upgrade system is not in place yet.

Weapons-wise, the spear is done (and possibly too good), and the blade is done.

To maximise effectiveness of melee, for blades and the club (both use the "blade-type" here), each weapon fires three wide strikes along the wielder's X-axis, each dealing 1/3 of their standard damage. This makes nicks more likely (as opposed to missing), and in the event of being close enough to get all three on target, deals rather significant damage. This goes some of the way to offsetting the fact that aliens only dodge when already in melee range (they really do, you can chase them around with the mouse cursor).

Melee will also be quieter (aliens will still make noise when they attack however, those annoying critters) than the vast majority of ranged weapons, with the primary exception being the bow and arrows.

This leaves:
    Plot Objects for Red, Blue, Green and Yellow plants, and Schroedinger's Fungus. Cactii will be introduced later, I'm not doing more graphics work today.
    Item seeds to drop said plants, fungus, and other plant resources.
    Item seed to drop sand and pebbles (deserts). Sand is ultimately useless at present however.
    Plot Object water source (since I'm fixing up the item seeds, I may as well).
    Pistol, Gauss Pistol, Laser Pistol, Pebbles (and old favourite - the shotguns), Sling and the club.

Edit: Oh hey, just noticed your edit from pages back Venom - you asked who the new character was? Well, he's been slightly redesigned since (I'll slap up the new ragdoll at some point), but he's due to be character #8 - the Extropian.

The Extropian will be the tech/evolution hybrid style as the Werivar is the tech/psionic hybrid. As a cyborg, he'll be partially dependent on energy to function (failure to provide energy will, among other things, result in severe speed reduction as his cybernetics depower), and will have the unique feature of "scanning" creatures for their data.

By accumulating data he'll improve himself (for example, scanning enough Reapers will upgrade his punch to a triple strike, scanning even more will make it cause bleeding and so on), and gain improvements to his stats.

You'll only be able to gain a certain amount of information from weaker enemies, so you'll have to either start with the nastiest targets, or move up to them from smallest to largest.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Wow. So, sword and spear are obviously for that one melee expert (what's his class name BTW?), how about bows? Rated "E" for "E"veryone?
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    I just editted over you - The Extropian, as per the edit above, will be the technological melee expert (indeed, if I can get scripting down, he may well be unleashing triple "Reaper-style" sword strikes). He'll probably not compare to claws (primarily because they're so much faster), but he'll be a lot better with melee to compensate for some of the epic ranged weapons the other characters will be getting.

The only characters not able to use bows will be the Aliens, the Psionic, and possibly the Android (if only because I cannot get his stubby android arms to reach the bloody thing and it's funny to think that the super advanced android just wasn't built to get his arms that close to his chest). The Werivar will probably be unable to use blades/knives/etc (claws aren't really suited to holding tightly to an implement for use as in melee in that way), but will probably be able to use bows and guns.

I'm actually interested in how people would like the Werivar to go; should I go with "empower the body" with psionics (empowered flaming psi claws for example), or just leave it in a similar way to his previous incarnation and just copy off the psionic? Naturally I'll wait until the psionic's released to ask properly.

Edit: Now I'm home, here's the new Extropian Ragdoll. I've updated it to be closer in style to the other characters.

Since I'm at it, here's the updated Captain and Psionic ragdolls too:

#
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Psionic looks kinda funny
    Well, the old one looked funny too, so it should be that way I guess. But what's that sphere? Part of his body or just background?
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    I actually based the sphere on the original psionic, who's basically, as far as I could tell, a little worm-headed mollusc guy sticking out of some kind of flotilla that he hovers around in. So the psionic hovers around in a little "shell" housing and protecting the lower half of his physically undeveloped wormlike body.

And I'm glad he's at least kinda funny looking, I was going for as inhuman as possible; even the Aliens are basically hominids (two eyes, one mouth, two arms, two legs...), so turning the psionic from a two armed worm to a giant headed six armed weirdo was really what I was going for.

Sidenote: I just successfully used "has 0 item" as a "has not" check. I'm so very confused.
    This does make my life so much easier, I wish I'd actually known this before accounting for not being able to do so for so long.
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    I like the idea for the Extropian, although I think it would make sense that the Android has at least some scanning ability. Or is he getting a comparable upgrade system I skipped over?

I like the new Captain too, but he looks... familiar. I dunno, maybe it's a coincidence that I think he looks just like this guy:

Other than that, I think you're doing a beast of a job. Some of the crazy things you've done so far, like dynamic creature spawning and item regerminating, have surely been on every Notrium player's mind at one point or another. You're a freaking genius at scripting, and I hope I'll be able to play the mod soon enough. I'd read the whole thread and post some serious constructive criticism, but I have a butt-load of procrastinated homework to do. Namely a hundred definitions out of a psychology textbook to copy by hand because some shameful morons emailed around one digital copy years ago.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I like the new Captain too, but he looks... familiar. I dunno, maybe it's a coincidence that I think he looks just like this guy:

Dude, what the hell?!
    If I'd known there was a spaceman with a gas mask around I'd have stolen that and had such an easier time! Actually, the Captain was made from a foundation using The Fury's (MGS3) body integrated with a few other component images (Storm Trooper/Jango Fett), finished off with a modified real gas mask for a head. I've never even seen Metrocop.
    Just goes to show that there's never anything truly original eh?

For the Extropian, the idea of scanning and self-improvement actually stems from Extropian philosophy, the idea that technology is to be used for self-betterment, in the pursuit of longevity and active progression of human evolution through cybernetic and genetic means.

I'm actually seeing future extropians as something of a religious group, who use future tech to improve themselves in the name of even further progress. The early name I was thinking for the Extropian was actually "The Pilgrim", putting him on a religious pilgrimage aboard the ship.

I'd assume that the android could have sensors for scanning lifeforms, but he's not set up with the philosophy or tools to self-improve along these lines. He's mechanical, and has mechanical upgrades; the Extropian is closer to the evolving Stowaways, though his isn't a solely "natural" process like theirs are.

As for what the android does get, I'm planning *minor spoilers*on having him be able to intentionally destabilise warp coils with his Cutting Torch, giving him a warp bomb, upgradable to a warp missile, probably the most powerful weapon in the game, along with another unique weapon chain upgrading his Cutting Torch.

I do want to get the characters up and running before I do a final polish over making sure everybody has their own different-but-equal toys to play with, but I do have spme plans already in place for everyone.

And thanks a lot for the compliment. I'm fairly close to a release (thirteen more tasks, the biggest of which is the new Ammo system) so hopefully you'll get the chance to play soon and I'll make you procastinate more.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    If I'd known there was a spaceman with a gas mask around I'd have stolen that and had such an easier time!
    Oh really?

"TNN17" said:
    ... hopefully you'll get the chance to play soon and I'll make you procastinate more.
    Good thing

"TNN17" said:
    Sidenote: I just successfully used "has 0 item" as a "has not" check. I'm so very confused.
    This does make my life so much easier, I wish I'd actually known this before accounting for not being able to do so for so long.
    Would you please post the method to "Modding questions/answers" or "The Notrium Modding Library"?
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Oh really?

How did you know I read that? I wish it updated more.

"Venom31" said:
    Would you please post the method to "Modding questions/answers" or "The Notrium Modding Library"?

Heck, I'll post it here.
    Kindling.
    Condition: Player Has Item. Item: Lighter. Quantity: 0.
    Condition: Player Has > 10 Energy.
    U: Make Fire. Give Player -10 Energy, respect limits.
    "You use your energy supply to make a fire."

Condition: Player Has Item. Item: Lighter. Quantity: 1.
    U: Make Fire.
    "You use your lighter to make a fire."

Slap those conditions (yeah, I think it's condition 0, not at my moddin' machine) onto Firewood in Default as two separate Use conditions with the same U key activation and you'll see that, possibly unintuitively.... It works fine? Against what is actually said in the effects and conditions sheet, and in a way that makes the NMV give a red-text warning no less.

As a result, Quantum has now been activated and I've stepped into the horrible horrible world of Plot Objects to create the Quantum Mushroom (done with scripting, needs testing). Quantum Mushrooms, when used, have a 50/50 chance of being poisonous or non-poisonous upon pick-up.

The same quantum check will show up in other things as the game advances in completion. Find a nest? You may uncover a hiding small alien, a tasty egg, or the nest's large, angry, primary caregiver (I'm so tempted to include a Big Daddy/Little Sister pair now).
    Find a wrecked escape pod? You can salvage it for parts. You could get lucky and get a useful computer program, part of the ship's propulsion system, or just some scrap metal.
    "Find" a dead marine? You could find ammo, part of his gun, or even a full weapon!

This means a lot more plot objects than I'd like (I'd prefer none, admittedly, I hate them), but it'll be a lot neater than having six of the same guy to handle drops.

What other things could a player find that might be quantum? Go ahead and suggest things.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    "Venom31" said:
    Oh really?
    How did you know I read that? I wish it updated more.
    Haw wwhat a lucky shot Me too...

"TNN17" said:
    What other things could a player find that might be quantum? Go ahead and suggest things.
    Schrödinger cat in a rad-box. Either dead or alive
    How hard is it to make item quantity quantum?
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Honestly it's quite easy to do that. In this case, I'd suggest using a quantum bar (this will be common to every character, a bar for invisible random numbers), and a token/script. It can also be included as part of a larger script, which I'll cover as well.

This could be done with a Cat-Token, but that's just for the quantum Either/Or question, it's harder than is necessary for a variable array token (I may also tweak all these to use the Q-Bar and cut down on the number of scripts in exchange for more tokens).

Marine Corpse - Pistoler.
    Use:
    Give 1 Marine-Pistoler Token.
    Use 1 Marine-Pistoler Token (Vanishes on Use)
    - Randomly Set Quantum Bar to 1-10.
    - If Q-Bar = 1 : Give 1 Pistol.
    - If Q-Bar = 2 : Give 1 Bullet Token. Run Script 1 with conditions.
    - If Q-Bar = 3 : Give 2 Bullet Token. Run Script 1 with conditions.
    - If Q-Bar = 4 : Give 3 Bullet Tokens. Run Script 1 with conditions. (Yes I do wish NMV let me copy/paste).
    - If Q-Bar = 5 : Give 1 pistol chassis.
    - If Q-Bar = 6 : Give 1 particle accelerator.
    - If Q-Bar = 7 : Give 1 ration.
    - If Q-Bar = 8 : Give 1 battery.
    - If Q-Bar = 9 : Give 1 lighter.
    - If Q-Bar = 10 : Give 1 ration. Give 1 Bullet Token. Run Script 1 with conditions.

All Use commands are used with the use Player's X effect, this allows multiple exclusive conditions to be checked within a single check, unlike a script. Note quantities can be changed at this level just by changing the result.

Script 1:
    Condition: Has Bullet Token.
    Randomly Set Quantum Bar to 1-10.
    Use Bullet Token.
    - If Quantum Bar More or Equal to 1 : Give 1 Bullet. Subtract 1 from Quantum Bar. Use Bullet Token.
    - If Quantum Bar < 1 : -1 Bullet Token. Run Script 1 with conditions.

Here's the quantum bullet #. As you can see, it's randomised on two levels - the first loot item may give 1-3 bullet tokens (each worth 1-10 bullets), the second converts these into bullets.

The script/item is recursive, so it self-repeats until finished, which takes place in a matter of cycles faster than the player has to deal with, and leaves no untidy automatically running scripts.

If you wanted to expand to a bigger system with as few scripts as possible, you could control this by items again; one item can replace several scripts quite easily.

"Loot Ammo Token" (Give 1 per other type of token given, these are consumed by use)
    - If Player has 1 Ether (insert ammo type here) Token: Randomly Set Q-bar to 1-50 (vary per ammo type). Use Ether Token (Ether tokens are just like the above mentioned Bullet Token, a self-repeating use until 0 then call the script).
    - Ditto other ammo types.

The difference is that script 1 is modified to use Loot Ammo Tokens instead, which means the item does all the hard work for you and one script controls everything ammunition related.
    #
    Curudan 13 years ago
    Will it be clear to the player what items he receives when he loots a quantum corpse?

I'm amazed at how fast you are making progress with this! I can hardly wait to try it out.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    It... could be.

The tricky part is that, with the Use Item effect, the message for successful/unsuccessful use is not displayed. Items you receive will have their First Get message, but will not display a useful message. To show a relevant message, you'll have to have a script for each result - this rather defeats the purpose and is ultimately redundant.

Now, I could do this a completely different way - Rather than put it into inventory, this could be handled as a drop item effect. So:

Set Random. > Give Token. > Use Token. (randomness going here) > DROP resultant item. > Run Script "You search the marine's body."

Bullets dropped in this way will I believe stack together automatically (the engine apparently handles that by default, I discovered this by accident discovering that alien corpses stack), giving a random-size stack of bullets or an item at the players feat.
    This will mean double the clicking, but the player will always know what they're getting, and have the option of opting out (Mushrooms would remain picked up and identified on receipt).

Your call folks?
    #
    Curudan 13 years ago
    I think that I would prefer the dropping method, if only because I would have more control over what I pick up and what I don't. I'd probably end up going through my inventory every time I looted a corpse, otherwise.

I would have replied sooner, but I had to work, and my connection has been rather spotty for the past few hours.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Not a worry to me, I'm nowhere near "marine" territory yet, and alien corpses aren't exactly "exciting" loot-wise.

Latest: Android weapons are implemented. Because he's a big lad, if an alien gets too close, he actually has a lot of trouble hitting them with ranged weapons, and he's a little slower than a meatbag so this happens comparatively frequently in my ham-fisted testing.

His cutting torch is incredibly powerful, dealing 100 damage per second at the correct range. It's also incredibly power hungry, and can drain him of power from starting maximum in about fifteen seconds of use. His pummel is energy cheap, however, and if slightly harder to aim than the human's, hits and knocks back more.

Also implemented is the sling - another silent, ranged weapon that basically improves pebble throwing (I may make it necessary to combine tools with leaves to make it in future, but currently it's just leaves). It's not quite so potent as the bow will be, but even the android and his stubby arms can use it.

Hypothermia introduced, as is the common cold. This will cause you to sneeze every now and then, which is just fantastic for stealth, and lasts for a long, long time unless cured. Like Heat Exhaustion, hypothermia requires you to combine being cold with something else, in this case, fatigue (shivering will regulate temperature at the cost of fatigue automatically, so staying in the cold will eventually net you hypothermia).

Extreme highs of heat and cold should still cause mild direct injury to health as before.

Water Terrain introduced, deep water will slow you to a crawl, even shallows will slow you heavily and cool you down, but will allow you to fill your thirst (should I make the android waterproof or have water sap his energy faster? >=D), and when the cannister is implemented, being near it will also allow you to fill it with water.

Water also correctly kills fires which are placed on it, but... unfortunately I cannot prevent trees from spawning on water tiles. Any suggestion why would be welcome, they should be disabling random items on them.

Mushrooms redone to use the Quantum Bar rather than tokens. I still need to implement what eating them actually does however.

A minor bug I've encountered and can't appear to resolve is that aliens will "snap" at the player from a distance, generating, for the browns, their telltale zap animation. I have no idea why. Again, any suggestion why (as far as I can tell they're identical in all things except possibly AI mode to Default aliens) would be appreciated.

Lastly I've incorporated a simple hallucination symptom (please, please, don't eat the daisies). If you consume something with hallucinogenic properties, you'll experience a range of symptoms ranging from the hot flushes, fits of rage, time passing at odd rates, flashes of light, good ol' hallucinations and.... the munchies. Whilst the psionic may get something from some of these bizarre visions, the captain does not.

Still to go:

Ammo System.
    Pistol.
    Gauss Pistol.
    Pebble Shotguns.
    Laser Pistol.
    Green Plant effects.
    Mushroom effects.

You know, before I started writing all this I was thinking I hadn't got much done today. Hm.
    #
    Pete 13 years ago
    Oh look I seem to have misplaced my jaw on the floor again.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    ...should I make the android waterproof or have water sap his energy faster?
    I'd say leave him be for now. If later on we discover andy to be a bit overpowered you can add this feature to balance out to an extent (depends on how much water terrain there will be). Also, this effect may become a whole lot of annoyance if passing rivers is frequent. Makes me think of some Tin Man - like, cutting down trees with his axe... torch .

"TNN17" said:
    Water also correctly kills fires which are placed on it, but... unfortunately I cannot prevent trees from spawning on water tiles. Any suggestion why would be welcome, they should be disabling random items on them.
    Curious bug. May be even good-looking but the tendency frightens...

"TNN17" said:
    A minor bug I've encountered and can't appear to resolve is that aliens will "snap" at the player from a distance, generating, for the browns, their telltale zap animation.
    What? Please explain Too long distance attacks?

"TNN17" said:
    Whilst the psionic may get something from some of these bizarre visions, the captain does not.
    Y'know, some of them "daisies" could be actually used by psionic - his physiology is unusual after all - to get maybe temporary boosts or even be a prerequisite to entering one of his dreamscapes or smth...
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    I'd say leave him be for now. If later on we discover andy to be a bit overpowered you can add this feature to balance out to an extent (depends on how much water terrain there will be). Also, this effect may become a whole lot of annoyance if passing rivers is frequent. Makes me think of some Tin Man - like, cutting down trees with his axe... torch .

Fine by me, the android will be in version 0.1 in his current state. Water in general will vary depending on the map (I'm definitely planning for some of the interim maps to be river maps - a wide, cold, physical barrier the player will need to get past).

Deep Water will also potentially have other, deeper effects than "shallow" depth water (hm, it just occurred to me that that was a pun), converting Wood and Kindling into "Wet Wood / Kindling" (gotta dry it out at an existing fire before you can use it, or wait a lot for it to dry out), and disabling energy weapons whilst you're in it, so crossing a Crocodalien infested river isn't something to do lightly. It will also potentially drain fatigue whilst you're in it, even motionless (since you have to tread water).

There's even the possibility for current (even up to a whirlpool, which could be a four tile damaging tile). There's a lot of potential for water here.

"Venom31" said:
    Curious bug. May be even good-looking but the tendency frightens...

I believe default occasionally had fungus and items on lava, but never trees. It's a tad vexing.

"Venom31" said:
    What? Please explain Too long distance attacks?

Their range is identical to those in default.
    Their AI is set to Close Combat.
    They will "snap" at long range as they pursue the player, uselessly, but creating the telltale blue flash and electrical burst as they do.

I have absolutely no idea why. It looks pretty cool (and blue adults will surge towards you when they're angry because of it), but it's weird as anything.

"Venom31" said:
    Y'know, some of them "daisies" could be actually used by psionic - his physiology is unusual after all - to get maybe temporary boosts or even be a prerequisite to entering one of his dreamscapes or smth...

It's a bit ahead of myself, but this is actually right on with what I was planning for the Psionic. He'll eat these flowers to expand his mind (the hippy! ), giving him Proto Tokens (combining with his Psionic Key for a period of time to simulate his meditations), which then give Thought Tokens (he'll also have to search for these plants, as they will be fairly rare and respawn rarely, in keeping with bringing him in line with the "explore for progress" style of every other race).
    These thought tokens can be combined into permanent bonuses to psionic power (basically all forms of psionic damage and healing), control power (the number of constructs he can control and probably their potency), or converted (to and from) every of the other "base" token types by using a little energy.

This means the psionic will have the capacity for power at the expense of myopia quite early on (the strongest offensive power will require only around five tokens), just like technological characters, except he'll also have the capacity to rewire his brain to respec much more easily.

"Pete" said:
    Oh look I seem to have misplaced my jaw on the floor again.

I hope this extends after I get a release out, a lot of this is "under the hood" stuff that will keep the gameplay experience as close as possible to Notrium Default. I don't want to overhype/underwhelm anyone.

Depending how painful the ammo-scripting turns out to be, I may have a release out in the next day or so.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    "TNN17" said:
    Their range is identical to those in default.
    Their AI is set to Close Combat.
    They will "snap" at long range as they pursue the player, uselessly, but creating the telltale blue flash and electrical burst as they do.
    Well their AI is initially Close Combat. Is it a new thing (Close Combat tactics) or directly from default? Can it be an effect of higher anger levels?
    Also, what does their premature attack lead to? Do they anger up surrounding creatures?
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Their AI isn't the same, but their setting (close combat) in the appropriate setting of their creature entry is. It may be because they're not using Attack Normal versus an alien specific attack form. I tested default aliens extensively and they never swipe unless they're in range.

And yes, their attack is signalling other nearby enemies to get involved, as well as lighting them up in the darkness making it easier to target them.

Poison mushrooms now cause poisoning appropriately, and have mildly hallucinogenic properties. Edible mushrooms now appropriately recover food and water when consumed.
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Well, I'm not much into AI either, so what can I say?
    [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->WTF.gif<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Main News: Version 0.1 is complete and available for download. Link at the bottom of this post.

To add to the AI confusion, the aliens only actually do this on one of the two maps. They seem to behave normally on Map #2.

Latest: Item Seeds now all function under the same creature, and the item dropped is dependent on terrain. This allows me to just add the seed to any Area Manager, and whatever comes out of it will be the resulting item.

I'm planning on removing "Plot Object Spawners" for all the plants and trees - instead using X instantly dying "prop" creatures (which are included in area information, they will appear, then die, the moment the player enters the area). This will let me, by using Terrain location and the Quantum bar, generate a random spread (at least I hope it will be random spread, I'll be doing pattern testing of instant death corpses before implementing this to make sure) of terrain appropriate random generation of plot objects.

This might also extend to items (either one starter per item or area appropriate randomisation, making each game have varying random drops), ensuring that the creature only dies when it's on *approved* ground and making it move hyper rapidly will ensure that it will spawn on appropriate ground, and if possible, not on top of any plot objects that make them inaccessible. In the case of Area Appropriate creatures, there would be an additional "minimum" number of each item as plot objects, to guard against Random.

Gun ammo code is correctly enforced, at the cost of not being able to load individual bullets into guns (doing so caused a bug where breaking items that couldn't be broken up caused the game to crash, something that took me hours to find and fix today). The Autoloader - Computer Unit + Scrap, is also functioning correctly, though the lack of a < X items condition means they will operate so long as the user has bullets to load and a pistol equipped.

So yeah, 0.1 is ready. Anything with a picture of goggles on it is non-functional, nowhere near all the combinations are complete, there's only two maps right now and a lot of the items remain unfinished, so I'm hoping you all hammer whatever's there as hard as possible.
    Map 1: Start Map, and Alien Spawn tester. The spawn here is rapid, incessant and will probably kill you by the time three reapers spawn at once. There's also a fire that spawns here, since you'll start out at night time just before dawn. If it goes out suddenly, it's because it fell into a water tile.
    Map 2: Item Map, and Item Spawn tester. The items here will accumulate up to 10, and should (it's 3 a.m. and I've been at this since 10 a.m. I've honestly not tested it since getting it to work), all spawn items on the ground depending on where they are at the 24 hour mark after their creation. This also contains several of the implemented items (some other basic items are also implemented, but the things they build are non-functional, so they have been omitted) to allow you to create weaponry. The rain will also rapidly and fully max your vitals, just in case you want to AFK for 31 days.

Available weapons:
    Knife, Blade, Spear, Pebbles, Sling, Club, Pistol, Gauss Pistol, Laser Unit, Laser Pistol, Pebble Shotgun, Double Barrel Shotgun, Punch^3, Pummel, Cutting Torch.

Feel free to delve into the game files to see what I have planned, let me know any bugs you find, and let me know what you'd like me to concentrate on for version 0.2, including new suggestions.

Version 0.1 Link:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hosting.projectsensible.com/FM.rar">http://hosting.projectsensible.com/FM.rar</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Curudan 13 years ago
    Awesome! I'm going to start with testing the captain.

First off, the laser unit appears to be invisible, I can't seem to equip a pistol or gauss pistol, no matter what I do, and every time I equip the club, it tells me 'a pebbles is needed for this to work'.

I can't equip Grenades, either. And at some point I made the mistake of letting my temperature get to low, and now it just won't stop shaking, even though I've been standing next to a fire for ten minutes. The message "out of energy, core support shutting down" is displayed constantly on the android.

Laser pistols and the flashlight also can't be equipped.

Besides those, everything seems to be working great. I'll probably have some more thoughts on this in the morning.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Thanks a lot for the bug check!

Grenades shouldn't be working right now; they're not implemented as weapons. The flashlight is also not implemented, it's just there as blank Human Start equip, just like the Core and optics are currently useless. Did you successfully find the single current combination for ingenuity (blue alien corpse)?

Strangely, the game seems to have jumped back a version. I fixed the Laser Unit just before hosting it up. If you go into the items.dat and Find: Laser Unit. Change "0;//visible in inventory 0=no (can only be used via quick keys), 1=yes" from 0 to 1, you'll be able to continue combining the laser unit. Likewise, the Laser Pistol previously had been implemented. If you add:

Ready for Presentation!;//event text
    none;//event failure text
    use.wav;//sound, none for nothing
    0;//vanishes after event, 0=no, 1=yes
    U;//use key
    -1;//quick key
    begin_conditions;
    end_conditions;
    begin_effects;
    9;//effect number
    69.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    end_effects;

in between its begin_effects_block; end_effects_block; (or in NMV do Effect 9: Weapon 69 effect for it), this will let you use the laser pistol.

For Pistol and Gauss Pistol, I assume the reason you can't equip them is that you haven't combined ammo with them yet. I forgot to include a failure text for them, "Must load ammo clip first!", sorry. That should be fixed next update. To load the weapon, break the magazines you find, then combine them with the gun in question - they accept clips of 20, so each time you combine a clip, you end up with 20 bullets.

For the club: Do you have leaves in your inventory when you equip the club? And are you equipping it with E, or the mousewheel? It sounds like you're skipping over leaves or the pebble shotgun, which do require pebbles, and will give the error message before skipping you over to the club.

For Hypothermia (I assume you contracted that, rather than regular cold, and I assume you managed to do so by using yellow plants or bad mushrooms), it's working correctly and the shaking will stop....
    It's just incredibly sadistic right now. Hypothermia requires you be over 20 Temperature and over 100 fatigue to start recovering. This is a bit extreme, considering part of hypothermia is shaking and dropping your fatigue and there's only one method of recovering fatigue right now (green plants will give +1 each), and even then, the longer you were suffering from conditions causing hypothermia, the longer it will take to recover (with the right conditions, you are accumulating hypothermia tokens at 1 per second, and mathematically you have a 50% chance of losing 1 per second, 25% chance of losing 2, 12.5% chance of losing 3.... so roughly 1 1/2 seconds per token).

I'll lower this to 25 fatigue for the time-being. I'll also be including a "well-fed" bonus script, doubling fatigue recovery over 300 Food/Thirst.

The Android bug is weird, it should only kick in under 1% energy, but Race Specialties never work well for me. I've moved it over to Scripts and it now works properly.

These bugs have been fixed or otherwise made less annoying, anything else you'd like to see in version 0.2?
    #
    Venom31 13 years ago
    Oh, LOL.
    I died of a single reaper. In the second area...
    I believe with its attack like this the only normal way to kill it now with cap'n is to use smth like battery discharge of vanilla. Nothing else, nothing else...
    Also, punch didn't do any damage even to smallest of things. But I believe I hit 'em!

@EDIT
    Tools say "Y" to combine 5 woods or 5 leaves, but they don't.
    Safety Catch doesn't work for me.
    Pebble Shotgun won't equip, while double barrel one does nicely (oh the large sector! ). BTW, this double one occupies no slots o_O.
    Grenades disappear when dropped.
    I didn't find a combination to create anything for item scanning.
    The Autoloader doesn't seem to work; what do I need to have in inventory - unbreaked magazine, clips or separate bullets?
    #
    Curudan 13 years ago
    I tried fighting a reaper off with a Gauss pistol, and I didn't have any success. It regenerated it's health faster than I could damage it. I was able to kill it fairly easily with a machete, though.

I'm not completely sure on the balance with that, the pistol was hard to make, required rare components, and uses ammo. While the blade was fairly easy to make, and only requires common components.
    #
    Endymion 13 years ago
    Did it always take like 20-40 shots to kill a single alien?
    Why remove x opening inventory?
    How about low fatigue increasing food or water consumption to improve fatigue? Well-fed boost sounds good too but doesn't feel as "self-regulated".
    When I ran out of fatigue while having hypothermia and being in the middle of water my max health became 1 somehow, I'm guessing it isn't meant to happen.
    Does temperature have any effect on bleeding? Not saying it should but it could make some sense...or not.
    Also something a bit more playable would be nice instead of just here are the enemies and here the items. Well mainly instead of all covering rain some small insta-heal location and some way to adjust the amount of enemies would be plenty better already.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    Reapers are pretty nasty right now, I'm planning on having them be a lot rarer than the other kinds (perhaps obviously). They never run away, they're hard as anything to kill, and they're faster than you. Admittedly I find that pretty cool.

Bear in mind that you can stop the bleeding with a dead reaper (red plant will also stop bleeding next version).
    As for killing them, I found the best thing to use was a spear, hands down. Either of you make one yet? In my opinion it's probably the best weapon in the game right now, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Also it occurs to me you haven't mentioned the targetting beam, have you not used it yet?

Pebble Shotgun equips fine. I assume you're holding the autoloader though, you won't be able to equip a two handed weapon until both hands are clear (engine problem, this has to be manually remedied like the flashlight). I've also corrected the Double Barrel Shotgun to use slots.

Punch is working correctly, and is dealing damage. The problem is hitting them; if you fail to hit them quickly, in their current state aliens will regenerate enough damage to survive your next hit. It's really only good for taking out small blues at its basic level, and even fully upgraded, you'd want a good strength stat to get any real use out of it.

The autoloader - My bad. It only currently works with the regular pistol, not the Gauss Pistol, I forgot to set the script to run. I've assigned the scripts (add "effect 29, run-script: 69 with conditions" to script #66 if you want to do this for the current version) will now work correctly with all pistol related weapons. It does use single bullets.

Grenades are not implemented, so they're probably size 0 items that are invisible in the map screen. Neither are scanners currently (when they are, machine module + computer unit will be the first step along the way), and neither are tools. I never got around to making bows and their related ammunition so tools remained unnecessary.

As an attempted balance tweak, I've added a random chance to alien regeneration, functionally halving its speed; reaper regeneration has been further reduced to 1/3 speed. This should make all aliens weaker without preventing them from recovering out of Retreat behaviour. If Reapers stop being lethal threats, I'll up their regeneration again.

I've also tweaked the spear to deal less damage and knock back less.

For weapons.... It's a tough one. I want some weapons to be good against certain enemies; for Reapers, I've not only made them regenerate, I've made them harder to see (that's one reason for the terrain being so much more detailed than default). This makes it hard to finish them off at range, and most of the ranged weapons will knock them back far enough they'll regenerate most of the damage before they get close enough to spot them again.

You're either dealing 3 more (direct hit), 3 damage less (2/3 hit) or 9 less (single blade hit) damage with the blade, it's definitely not because it's outdamaging the pistol - with the targetting beam, the pistol deals 17 damage per hit. The gauss deals 20 damage per hit, it always deals as much or more damage than the blade does.

I will be testing upping bullet damage to around 20, laser damage will up to 15, but don't get used to it, lasers do not function well against biological targets, so this will probably drop back down versus biologicals in later versions.

"Endymion" said:
    Did it always take like 20-40 shots to kill a single alien?

I believe not, in Default, upon finding a diode, a fuel cell and a converter two laser blasts killed every enemy in the game. There's currently some disparity between this and a final balance, which will try to make larger sizes of alien more credible threats without making killing them a chore.

There's also the fact that aliens will now retreat, rather than fight to the death. This will make driving them off a viable possibility.

Bear in mind also that the currently available selection of weapons are tier 2 or tier 1. Tier 3+ weapons will take accordingly fewer shots. If I made tier 2 weapons perfectly adequate, why would you upgrade?

Why remove x opening inventory?

Actually, I've created every entry from scratch, so I've "removed" everything from the game, I just haven't "added it".

As to why, honestly? X never even worked for me, so I figured I'd leave it out to save on item entry time unless someone wanted it.
    I've now added it in for the next version for you, it's all contained in the same inventory open item. As a bonus, it now actually works for me.

How about low fatigue increasing food or water consumption to improve fatigue? Well-fed boost sounds good too but doesn't feel as "self-regulated".

This already happens, but it's not obvious. If your fatigue is below 10%, you will lose food and water and recover fatigue accordingly (I believe without a message beyond You're Exhausted! however), likewise, most illnesses will also cause fatigue loss, including low food/thirst.

This isn't going to come up much since the maps are incredibly food rich right now, and because the captain can't lose much fatigue (I'll update deep water to drain fatigue at 1 per second). Would you prefer it to be higher? I could set it less than 50%?

When I ran out of fatigue while having hypothermia and being in the middle of water my max health became 1 somehow, I'm guessing it isn't meant to happen.

1: How the heck are so many people getting hypothermia? I'm trying to get it and failing miserably.
    2: Hm. The lowered maximum health should actually kill you, so this is indeed a bug, thanks; I've made it so that you should now die appropriately. In future, this may get its own death screen of you having a final, fatal, heart attack due to your sickness.
    3: If it's cured before it kills you however, it will recover naturally on its own, this behaviour at least is fully intentional.

Does temperature have any effect on bleeding? Not saying it should but it could make some sense...or not.

I really like this idea and it's really easy to do (seriously, it's a three second cut and paste job to implement and it's a great idea). What do you suggest? Lower than -20 Temp halve blood loss, lower than 40 quarter it? Higher temperatures increase blood loss? Suggest some figures and I'll implement it.

Also something a bit more playable would be nice instead of just here are the enemies and here the items. Well mainly instead of all covering rain some small insta-heal location and some way to adjust the amount of enemies would be plenty better already.

.... I'll try not to take this one personally. *sniff*

Seriously though, don't worry, the current version is essentially a technical demo. It has very, very specific goals:
    * Let people see that the mod is actually getting worked on.
    * Let people see the creature behaviour in action - in a very small, densely populated map for a real test to make sure it's robust.
    * Let people see item spawning - hence the need for constant recovery, this takes 24 hours per spawn.
    * Showcase all the new scripting, items, graphics, and game mechanics.
    * Get others to help me out by bug testing and encourage ideas to form - the best way to go about it, and it's definitely paid off already.
    * Bragging about all the awesome stuff I made.

Version 0.2 will be dropping healing rain and the item spawn map entirely, I'm currently planning on extending to cover one area per version at least, so this means the four squares of the starting jungle area for version 0.2, each with a "sensible" spawn type and a larger size, along with more items created.
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    (I think you answered at least one of my comments in your post while I was writing my post, so nevermind them if you have.)

I can understand that this is a really early test build, but there are already lots of playability issues with it. Needing to reload a weapon is fatal. Weapon switching with the scroll wheel is useless because I keep punching instead of using the machete, and I'm already going nuts because there are overpowered aliens raping me from all sides. I caught hypothermia when it wasn't raining gravy and my health capped to five, then small brown aliens killed me because I couldn't move anymore. The laser unit is useless because the spread is so high, but I didn't fix the not-in-the-inventory bug that has been explained already, so I can't blame anyone for that one.

And one more thing: REAPERS. ARE. LIVING. HELL.

... And now that I've calmed down a bit from my frustrating playthrough, here's some constructive criticism. The pistols just aren't working for me as they are now. Reloading is a pain, and they aren't effective enough for the amount of enemies in the test anyhow. I do think that it can be made to work. Instead of using different powered accelerators to control the (HORRIBLE) fire rate of the pistols, how about adding a weapon heat gauge that dissipates faster (or fills slower) depending on which kind of powered accelerator you use to make it, and letting all pistols fire every half second at most? To keep from overheating the gun, just stop shooting. And instead of having to "build" a loaded pistol, how about automatically reloading every time you run out of bullets and not being able to fire for a second or two until you finish reloading?

Is the Ingenuity combination supposed to make an armor jacket? I picked one up off of the ground, and I thought it weird that it said you the player had made it. I didn't even realize Ingenuity had a working combination.

Edit: I just emptied 400 bullets into 2 reapers, 2 brown aliens, and 4 small brown aliens over about 10 minutes. They STILL weren't dead yet after ten minutes, so I gave up. The small brown aliens are tiny targets that regenerate health and fly about three maps away with every bullet, which is a recipe for "I JUST EMPTIED 400 BULLETS INTO THEM AND THEY'RE STILL NOT DEAD YET".
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I can understand that this is a really early test build, but there are already lots of playability issues with it.

That's part of why it's out in this state, if I'd waited until it was done, it'd be harder for me to fix anything like this. Trust me, I want feedback like this, if it were just for me the game would be quite a lot more difficult than it is even now.

Needing to reload a weapon is fatal.

It is a little awkward at present. Now that the supporting items are in place, I might be able to do some scripting to automate the process, I'll have a look into it.

Weapon switching with the scroll wheel is useless because I keep punching instead of using the machete

Now this I don't understand. Did you not use the safety? All starter weapons have a safety switch, this if anything should be better, not worse, than Default.

and I'm already going nuts because there are overpowered aliens raping me from all sides. I caught hypothermia when it wasn't raining gravy and my health capped to five, then small brown aliens killed me because I couldn't move anymore.

How the hell is everybody catching hypothermia? The rain doesn't change your temperature in either map, and unless you were snacking on Yellow Bulbs under a tree and in the deep water, I don't understand how you're all losing enough temperature, for long enough, to contract it, or how you're staying in that condition for long enough for it to reach Weakness-Level severity (which is what's lowering your carrying capacity and health).
    Heck, the fact nobody's talking about Heat Exhaustion is borderline astonishing by itself.

Alien quantities will be changing; there will be a chance on every map of dropping an item seed; this counts towards the population; eventually if you kill enough in an area, it will stop spawning aliens as random chance will cause all existing spawns to be item seeds.

Likewise, the areas will be larger, and the population will differ depending on area severity.

The laser unit is useless because the spread is so high, but I didn't fix the not-in-the-inventory bug that has been explained already, so I can't blame anyone for that one.

The laser unit is not intended to be a weapon any more than a Particle Accelerator is. I will reduce the spread slightly (the damage is already fmeh), and if I haven't already, it should probably be put onto (Safety 5)

And one more thing: REAPERS. ARE. LIVING. HELL.

Now this, this is intentional.

The pistols just aren't working for me as they are now. Reloading is a pain, and they aren't effective enough for the amount of enemies in the test anyhow.

This is a two-fold issue I admit, the number of enemies spawning is extreme, and the weapons are not the best available (a flamethrower would make quick work of all of them).

I do think that it can be made to work. Instead of using different powered accelerators to control the (HORRIBLE) fire rate of the pistols, how about adding a weapon heat gauge that dissipates faster (or fills slower) depending on which kind of powered accelerator you use to make it, and letting all pistols fire every half second at most?

Sure, I'll up the fire rate on both along with the damage boost, they were weaker than they should be. The gauss pistol does more damage, fires further, faster, and has more knockback, fire rate being equal shouldn't be a problem.

I like overheating, and might replace ammo with it if others are keen on it (waiting for cooldown will be enough "worry time" for me). I'd keep the option of grouping bullets into packs of 20 however, that will let you use that to mass produce ammo types.

Is the Ingenuity combination supposed to make an armor jacket? I picked one up off of the ground, and I thought it weird that it said you the player had made it. I didn't even realize Ingenuity had a working combination.

Much like Default, adult blue aliens are heavily armoured. Ingenuity allows the captain to make use of that. The reason the coat's there is for the Android, whose armour upgrades aren't implemented yet. He'll also be able to ingenuit himself some brown alien claws to improve his blade/knife, along with other, more technological things.

Edit: I just emptied 400 bullets into 2 reapers, 2 brown aliens, and 4 small brown aliens over about 10 minutes. They STILL weren't dead yet after ten minutes, so I gave up. The small brown aliens are tiny targets that regenerate health and fly about three maps away with every bullet, which is a recipe for "I JUST EMPTIED 400 BULLETS INTO THEM AND THEY'RE STILL NOT DEAD YET".

Yeah, small browns are pretty annoying right now for long range. Bulls-eyeing womp-rats you aren't. I'll probably drop their max health. How are you finding the melee alternatives though?

Edit: Poll is now up, I can implement a reloading mechanic for bullets, ether and crystal ore forcibly disabling them until "reloaded", I can implement an overheating mechanic for bullet and/or energy weapons, or I can work in another direction, lemme know.

* For bullets, bear in mind disabling a single weapon is impossible, either I disable all Projectile weapons for a second, or nothing gets disabled. This is less of an issue with flamers, sonic weapons and the extinguisher, which I will definitely use ammo for.
    There will be consequences for switching to this method, but I'm fairly confident I can find some way around it.

* For overheating, bear in mind the same thing - either all weapons share the same "overheat" bar, or none of them do. There's the middle ground of making one bar per weapon - but I won't be doing that. I can't use tokens for it, there's no < X items, so it's clumsy coding or it's done differently.

* I am of course open to suggestions which fill the goals of:
    1 - Tension building method.
    2 - Allowing single ammo items (1 ether, not 50) to provide the fuel for a single weapon appropriately.
    3 - Prevents bullet-hose methods.
    #
    Endymion 13 years ago
    Didn't do spear but tried laser + beam didn't really notice any effect except it made it slightly easier to pick a random angle to shoot and hope the bullet goes to right side.

This already happens, but it's not obvious. If your fatigue is below 10%, you will lose food and water and recover fatigue accordingly (I believe without a message beyond You're Exhausted! however), likewise, most illnesses will also cause fatigue loss, including low food/thirst.

This isn't going to come up much since the maps are incredibly food rich right now, and because the captain can't lose much fatigue (I'll update deep water to drain fatigue at 1 per second). Would you prefer it to be higher? I could set it less than 50%?
    There's deep water? No wonder I couldn't recover fatigue by standing in it. But yeah I have no idea, I think increasing the food/thirst drain and fatigue recovery would be good, or some other method of boosting fatigue recovery. It isn't very fun to just be unable to move due to low fatigue without anything happening.

1: How the heck are so many people getting hypothermia? I'm trying to get it and failing miserably.
    Might have something to do with not paying any attention to those little water puddles

I really like this idea and it's really easy to do (seriously, it's a three second cut and paste job to implement and it's a great idea). What do you suggest? Lower than -20 Temp halve blood loss, lower than 40 quarter it? Higher temperatures increase blood loss? Suggest some figures and I'll implement it.
    uhh... 20 and 40 sound good and yeah higher temp should increase it.

Also something a bit more playable would be nice
    .... I'll try not to take this one personally. *sniff*
    Seriously though, don't worry, the current version is essentially a technical demo. It has very, very specific goals.
    I was just worried that since you were asking for suggestions for next version you might just leave the map as is.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Endymion" said:
    Didn't do spear but tried laser + beam didn't really notice any effect except it made it slightly easier to pick a random angle to shoot and hope the bullet goes to right side.

You also dealt 2 more damage. It's the little things that make a difference.

Might have something to do with not paying any attention to those little water puddles

If it's giving you a message about swimming, it's deep water, it's cold and it's nasty. If it's saying walking through it is slowing you down, it's shallower and less nasty. Currently the only "deep" water is in the top right area of the 2nd map. You can recognise it by the lack of a visible (pebble) bottom.

uhh... 20 and 40 sound good and yeah higher temp should increase it.

Implemented. Body temperature over 30 degrees will worsen blood loss, body temperature under -25 and -40 will both reduce it (by 30% at -25, and an additional 15-20% at -40), and increase the chances of clotting.

Also implemented: Water will worsen bleeding. It won't prevent clotting in the interests of not making you all cry.
    #
    Curudan 13 years ago

Once it hits night time in the item spawning map, the temperature will get low enough to induce hypothermia. You need a minimum of three kindling to survive the night without shaking for twenty minutes.

I'd say that the main problem with bullets versus melee weapons, is that bullets will knock the enemies back two or three screens, giving them more time to regenerate their health.

I cast my vote with automatic reloading, stopping in the middle of combat to combine-reload will almost always get you killed, but I do like the idea of your character automatically reloading the gun when it runs out. That way at least you can keep walking backwards. And I really like the magazine>clip>single bullet system you have.
    #
    TNN17 13 years ago
    "Curudan" said:

Once it hits night time in the item spawning map, the temperature will get low enough to induce hypothermia. You need a minimum of three kindling to survive the night without shaking for twenty minutes.

You're making me jealous now. Checking the code, the item region is 100% temperature neutral, 0 degrees in daytime, 0 degrees in nighttime. I spent an entire day motionless, under a tree, standing in the water. Twenty-four hours. The lowest I got was -39 temperature, the only way I could get hypothermia to even test out what you've all been saying was abusing the hallucination system. I've never even used the kindling outside of testing.

Has anyone survived long enough to see items spawning? Feel free to use the editor to add Token B or Token E to your game if you can't be bothered to wait (and a laser pistol too).

Your vote's been noted, if I don't end up using the heat mechanic on all weapons, I may use it on a specific weapon (perhaps the warp drill?) as a neat little mechanic.

And hey, nice to know someone likes the bullet system, I was considering scrapping it before you said that.

Update: Since I figured out how to do it, I now have the foundations of a working, automatic ammunition reload system. In effect, the player now has a reload bar. Equipping a new weapon sets this bar to maximum, as does having at least 1 ammunition.
    If the gun is empty, the gun will self-disable, and reduce the reload bar - equipping another weapon will cancel reloading. The reload bar will take a second to empty on easy, two seconds on medium or hard.
    If the bar is empty, the gun will then reload.
    If the player doesn't have a clip/magazine, the gun won't begin reloading.
    Autoloaders should still function as they are, though I may need to tweak their code a bit.

Further update: It works. For the Pistol.
    ~ If pistol ammo = empty, number of clips > 0 and pistol = not equipped, U: will display Reloading! message, and load the pistol. You'll be able to equip the pistol normally, but not be able to shoot it until a second has passed.
    ~ If pistol ammo = non-empty, pistol equips normally.
    ~ If pistol ammo = empty and pistol is equipped, pistol will display Reloading!and begin counting down, and when reloading bar = 0, will finish reloading correctly.

Reloading will continue to be possible "manually" by combining.

I still need to implement quick-key R: If Pistol loaded, disable that weapon for 1 second (2 on non-easy), and perform reload; this will have the side-effect of creating spare single bullets. - Rejected. Code for this causes serious complexity issues and periodically unequips the pistol. If you want to reload manually, you'll have to go ahead and combine it.

Minor issue: You will be able to equip pistols and gauss pistols with no ammo for them. It's either this, or you wouldn't be able to equip them unless you had a spare Bullet Clip in your inventory. Either/or I'm afraid, circumventing this automatically unequips the pistol.

Pistol is otherwise complete. It takes more scripts to control than Hypothermia does, but in-game it seems to be working fine.

You'll also be pleased to know that with the changes, killing a reaper takes around three shots, possibly four, and I've fixed the issue where small brown aliens have more HP than large brown aliens. I should hopefully have the entire pistol family complete this evening.
    #
    Forum » Notrium Final Mix - New Version out. 0.31
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: