Register
Email: Password:
Forum » my impressions

my impressions

manu 13 years ago
Hey,

bought it the other day - just because I couldn't wait any longer. I read about it on some indie weblog a few months back.

started playing, and I really liked it. Nicely done, the dialogues are not too long, the story is interesting and there are quite a few things I missed the first time playing it, just because I was too hasty. (and you did read a lot of terry pratchett books imho... )

the controls are very intuitive, I didn't find any big bugs - just a few "come on pick it up" things. Health being refilled from food is nice, I'd love to see shops to buy items. and the ability to set way points so that I can set a direction to go in bigger areas - in case that there will be bigger ones.

My sister did play it today as well, and she loved it. was sad when the alpha build was over. And I have to add, that she never plays video games at all. I told her: try it - you'll like it. and she did. Probably because the controls are easy and because its more a rpg and it's not that stressful.

So, when will you release another build?!? I'd love to explore more....
#
ville 13 years ago
Thanks manu! Glad to hear you liked it! We're working as hard as we can to make more levels, it won't be long now for the next version. Be sure to tell your friends about Driftmoon, we appreciate it.

A couple of years ago I read all the Discworld books available. Right now I'm actually listening to them while bicycling. I'm a big fan of Pratchett.

And some good news: I've already added quick travel points, that you can use in game. Currently, I'm also working on the shop interface. It wont be long before you'll see those in the game.
#
reaver894 12 years ago
"ville" said:
snip

Hi again folks,

Well I just completed what is available.

AWESOME = My description

I had a little trouble finding a butterfly as said in a previous post.
But the rest was plain sailing, as its my first game from Ville I decided to use the easy setting and it may have been a bit too easy but then again I dont like to get frustrated at a game (looking at you DOW Winter Assault).

Cant wait till the next part is finished, I put this through on the feedback but I noticed what I believe to be a spelling mistake at the smithy. After you kill the skeleton Robert has a line beginning "What a foul creature" a bit later in the sentence is the mistake "he sais" which I believe should be "he said".

For a game at this stage of development, to say I am impressed is an understatement.

Edit: NEED MOAR!!!
Do we have a rough idea when the next bit will be available (yup im impatient)
#
zappasghost 12 years ago
I am deep impressed !
Driftmoon has intelligent and complex Gameplay-Mechanisms.
But above all it has Atmosphäre.
And it is so wonderfully slow, I do not like this fast paced Äction-Shit.

BUT, there is one Thing that i do not like on Driftmoon.

Day and Night Cycle is really too fast !
This 3 Minute Cycle prevents/destroys the immersion of this Fantasy World.

Please increase this Cycle massive.

Best and thanks a lot for your great Work

ZappasGhost
#
JakeWedding 12 years ago
I have to agree with the previous comment, right now its about 1sec=1min (After studying that Tool of which i have forgotten the name of), maybe it should be eased off. (as in 1sec=1/Minute)
#
Anne 12 years ago
Thanks for the comments! We're very happy to hear you are having fun with Driftmoon!

On the length of the day-night cycle: I just discussed with Ville briefly (his turn to take care of the baby right now , so I'm replying on the forum), and I think the day-night cycle might be somewhat tuned. I've been thinking about the same thing, and Ville seems to agree we could at least lengthen the day, but we'll probably not make the time spent in darkness too much longer.
#
zappasghost 12 years ago
Anne,

Thx for the Feedback !
That are good news.

Best regards,

ZG
#
Pete 12 years ago
Just a few minor things:

a) The doll attack says it does 10 damage, but it actually does 15
b) Could you maybe implement a duration bar for the torches, or even a "torch ran out" message? I keep being surprised by suddenly having no torches at all when I had six the last time I checked.
c) What is a bible doing on Driftmoon?
#
reaver894 12 years ago
"Pete" said:
Just a few minor things:

Are you using the april 4th build? mine said (and did) 15 damage
#
Pete 12 years ago
"reaver894" said:
"Pete" said:
Just a few minor things:

Are you using the april 4th build? mine said (and did) 15 damage
Well it says 15 in the doll description, but 10 in the attack description.
#
ville 12 years ago
"Pete" said:
b) Could you maybe implement a duration bar for the torches, or even a "torch ran out" message? I keep being surprised by suddenly having no torches at all when I had six the last time I checked.

I've seen that problem lately. It's to do with some people spending a lot of time someplace, and others breezing through. They spend a different amount of torches. I think the solution isn't to add a meter to them, that's just more micromanagement. The solution should be something like making a single torch last forever, but adding fuel to them would make it brighter for a day. Or something like that. Also, lanterns that have a focused beam, sort of like a flashlight. Or that a single torch would last much longer, and we wouldn't automatically light a new one.

"Pete" said:
c) What is a bible doing on Driftmoon?
I like to read it sometimes. Also, it's my ace up the sleeve when people say Driftmoon doesn't have enough hours of playtime. 100 extra hours of gameplay!
#
Ohana (guest) 11 years ago
I finally went ahead and bought a copy of Driftmoon from GoG. I decided going DRM free is a feature I wanted to have, a precaution in case I lose the serial key and I will have to write in to you guys to prove I bought it and so on.

If possible, please consider if you will adjust the sound of the waves and the seagulls. Make it less loud and at a gentler, slower pace. I like to listen to gentle waves crashing and the seagulls calling to each other, and dream

Whenever I click on a food, it disappears but it does not go into my inventory. What happened to it? Did I eat it automatically?

Can a mod or a patch come out so we can sit in the chairs? I was at the Mayor's place and I thought that is a pretty house to live in for a while so long as one ignores the statue. Even has our very own gargoyle servant, sweet!

Game has an indie look and feel, looks rough at the edges but plays smoothly. So far the experience has been positive.

Can you make it so we can pick up candles so I bring them to another place to sort of make a small campsite lol.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Hi Ohana!
Ohana (guest) said:
If possible, please consider if you will adjust the sound of the waves and the seagulls. Make it less loud and at a gentler, slower pace. I like to listen to gentle waves crashing and the seagulls calling to each other, and dream

I'll tell you how you can adjust the volume of the waves yourself, so that it only changes on your computer. If you want, you can adjust it quite easily by following these instructions

1) Open the following file:
driftmoon\n\mainmod\script\sounds.ini

2) Find the sound named [ambient_waves]

3) And add these two lines of text right under the [ambient_waves] -heading (you can also try putting some other values between 0 and 1 instead of 0.5, but 0.5 might be a good starting point.
minVol=0.5
maxVol=0.5

4) Restart Driftmoon, and go listen to some waves.

Ohana (guest) said:
Whenever I click on a food, it disappears but it does not go into my inventory. What happened to it? Did I eat it automatically?
Don't worry, your food just goes to your food counter, lower left corner of the interface. You can notice the number on the food bar rising whenever you pick up something edible. You don't need to worry about remembering to eat it - you'll use up food automatically if your character is in less than perfect health.

Ohana (guest) said:
Can a mod or a patch come out so we can sit in the chairs? I was at the Mayor's place and I thought that is a pretty house to live in for a while so long as one ignores the statue. Even has our very own gargoyle servant, sweet!

It's certainly a possibility for a mod! There's even a sitting animation ready for it.

Have fun playing!
#
Forum » my impressions

Your email:
Your name: