Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Thread title goes here
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Thread title goes here

Endymion 10 years ago
    It seems that I should get a proper cpu cooler since I occasionally get a warning saying it's over 60C so I tried to figure out what to get and discovered Sandia Cooler but sadly as far as I can tell there are no products using the tech so far so I guess I'll just get some cheap thing that probably is still better than the default one(unless I decide to do liquid cooling for some reason).
    #
    Anonymous1157 10 years ago
    That's actually a really cool (No pun intended) CPU cooler. I wonder why it didn't take off (Pun very intentional)?

If it were me, I'd get the biggest honkin' oversized heatsink that'll fit in your case and/or around your mobo and be done with it. That's what I did the last time I had a desktop. But realistically, if that's your full-load temperature, you should be fine as it is.
    #
    Vacuus 10 years ago
    Pfft, may as well go all the way. Chuck a peltier or a phase-change cooler on that thing.

Windows 8 - I'm actually a bit of a fan (albeit Linux is my main OS when not at work); the interface seems clunky if you're used to a mouse but once you learn a few keyboard shortcuts it's very much usable. I am holding out for the DPI scaling changes in 8.1 though - the desktop is a bit funky on my Surface Pro at the moment in terms of size.

The upcoming GPCSE changes -- e.g. asynchronous drive map processing -- will have a marked impact on login times for enterprise machines as well. Hopefully they fix the member limit on security group targeting too.

Server 2012 is also one of my more favourite things from this year -- data de-duplication saving me 600GB worth of camera footage already.

Mind you, RT is still just a waste of time.
    #
    YouTube keeps asking me if I want to change my name. The prompt was different this time, and the new option let me keep my screenname but update the YouTube account.

Hey, this sounds like exactly what I want, and the [censored] will stop nagging me. So [censored], let's go for it.

Guess what, guys? I have a G+ now! And I can't remove it without clicking through a warning that basically says it'll nuke every other service on the Google account, most completely YouTube! Nowhere on the nag screen did I see it say that it would give me a G+ if I didn't already have one!

*Facedesk*

I'd just delete the whole thing and start over, but that GMail is my primary email address, and I haven't had any issues with that one service. I'd switch back to my dad's own public email server, but it just has the worst customer service.

You get what you pay for. (Ironically, I use FOSS because that's the one place the proverb doesn't hold.)
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Why all the fuss of having Google+? Privacy? Oh, spare me.
    #
    ... I don't want it, don't otherwise have to have it, and wasn't told I'd automatically get it?

This isn't a question of privacy. I'm moderately confident (Not really) that I won't leak personal information through an unused G+ account. It's just that I accidentally got signed up for something I don't want because I was being nagged to do something that wasn't obviously related. I'm angry about it on principle, really.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    I checked.
    It warns you.

I'm sorry, but you need to level your fine-print reading skills. :]

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    The nag screen I was shown didn't look exactly the same, but you're probably right.

Damn.
    #
    I've been trying out Android-x86 for the past two days. So, to be clear, I'm trying out a wholly unfamiliar platform via an incomplete port running on unsupported hardware. That said, it's a pretty polished and functional port, and my laptop is at least as strong as a mid-range smartphone. And, hey, it runs well!

... But then I saw Google Play Store.

I have resolved to keep using feature-phones until entry-level smartphones hit the dirt-cheap price point and replace the market for feature-phones, leading to their extinction and removing any choice in the matter. Or when FirefoxOS comes out, whichever comes first.

The end.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    http://nintendo1ds.com/

Nintendo, what the [censored] are you doing? Seriously.

This is like presenting someone with a round hole and handing them a square peg, and after they finally jam the thing into place forcefully, waving the round peg in their face and giving them the raspberry.

This is Nintendo saying, "Hey, look! We designed all of this gimmicky hardware over the past three-ish years that nobody wants to buy! We're about to do it again, even! But we KNOW what we need to do to make a competitive device that could crush the PSP, preclude a handheld XBox, and start to bite out of the smartphone gaming market! Here, we already designed it! Look at it! Of couse, we're not actually going to make it, because bankruptcy is fun, but look!"

I think I might actually be offended. I would have bought it.

(On a directly-related note, is my ranting bothering anyone? I've been doing it a lot lately. In fact, I seem to have this thread all to myself. >.> )

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    Grim Reaper 10 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    http://nintendo1ds.com/
    *rant snip*
    Nintendo1DS said:
    *Not actually a real device or price. See dreams for details.
    Most likely a joke site made by someone else, too.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    What, it's April fools already? I really don't get the point here.
    #
    I just did a WHOIS lookup, and it's actually NOT made by Nintendo. Whoops! Dunno what got into me to take it at face value without thinking. (In fact, now that I've calmed down, I can't really figure out how I thought Nintendo made it if I knew it was a prank site in the first place.)

My rant still stands, though. In fact, Nintendo should hire this guy. [/saving face]
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    I'm really sorry for the delay, but I promise I didn't forget about WW12. :S Just had a sudden burst of RL obligations, and what little time I have is consumed by GW2.

Which is my fault, I guess.

Either way - I should be completely ready by friday (especially since I'll have much more time again starting tomorrow).

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Yay! some text padding to make the message longer
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    So I got a new laptop today... It's sweet! And with this much resolution, I am nearly forced to zoom in on every web site!
    #
    SpeedBlade 10 years ago
    If only every video was high resolution... *sigh*
    #
    E_net4 said:
    So I got a new laptop today... It's sweet! And with this much resolution, I am nearly forced to zoom in on every web site!
    I found some old computers and printers in front of an abandoned house.

OK, so it's wasn't the greatest find in the world, but one of the computers is almost exactly the specs I wanted in a retro gaming system. Seriously, why would anyone throw this stuff away? Consumerism is simultaneously the dumbest thing to happen to America and the greatest thing to happen to me.
    #
    Wow, three weeks without posting in the random thread? I can fix that.

I bought a record player.

... I can't listen to The Carpenters without crying. Screw you, Sesame Street.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Well I pre-ordered a music album. Beat that.
    #
    I heard some music on an underground radio stream before it got mainstream radio time. Boo-ya, I'm a hipster!
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    I heard some music on an underground radio stream before it got mainstream radio time. Boo-ya, I'm a hipster!
    I am constantly listening to music that will never become mainstream, for that matter.

... Yeah, ain't this topic useless.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    I listen to this. Still.
    #
    Pete 10 years ago
    The Teldani.

(individual sprites)

Da Vinci had the right idea

Fly speed 20ft poor maneuverability 3+con mod rounds, Swim speed 60ft

Pew!

Plus two dozen conversations on their society, biology, technology, geography...

Im starting to think maybe Im overdoing it a bit considering that game is probably never going to get run anyway. (DM came to the conclusion Traveller sucks and I cant actually disagree on that.)

But yeah, thats what Ive been doing with my free time every once in a while in the last few months. Fun!

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    That's an interesting species you've invented. Doesn't suit my tastes personally, but you've got good ideas, methinks.

I looked up Traveller on Wikipedia because I'd never heard of it, and, uh... Holy crap. This is an involved board game. Looks like fun, though, if you can get through the rule books.

I've always wanted to play Battletech myself.
    #
    Anonymous1157's Mouse Design Maxim:

- Comfortably large
    - Five or more buttons
    - Wireless

Pick two.
    #
    Grim Reaper 10 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:

- Comfortably large
    - Five or more buttons
    - Wireless

Pick two.
    I pick the first two. I shall not abandon the precious wires until power flows from computer to mouse without them.
    #
    SpeedBlade 10 years ago
    If the battery life spans for at least a day, then I'd go for the first two. And then a joystick that can be operated with a palm and thumb, leaving the four fingers for more buttons.

Then, the pedal keyboard of a musical organ ... for the hotkeys n'stuff.

Bonus points for using an Oculus Rift in split-view.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 10 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    Anonymous1157 said:

- Comfortably large
    - Five or more buttons
    - Wireless

Pick two.
    I pick the first two. I shall not abandon the precious wires until power flows from computer to mouse without them.
    /me glances down at his wired, 8-button, comfortably-large mouse and nods
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    Comfortably large, wired and five buttons here, so I concur.
    #
    Pete 10 years ago
    Hows a typical size weighted five-button mouse that is doing its best to BECOME wireless? Ive got a new one plugged in right next to it but Im so used to this one I cant part with even as it literally falls apart under my fingers (the screws holding on the bottom have dissapeared long ago, which is a good thing because this way I can dissasemble it and re-seat the laser when it gets knocked out of its broken housing and put it back together in ten seconds flat, to the joy of everyone I play Dota with).
    #
    YouTube has been tarding out on me sporadically for a while now. It starts playing in 240p, then switches to 360p, then switches to 720p, then switches to 1080p, then says there was a problem playing my video and just stops.

Welp, I've had it, so I'm removing Flash.
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    YouTube has been tarding out on me sporadically for a while now. It starts playing in 240p, then switches to 360p, then switches to 720p, then switches to 1080p, then says there was a problem playing my video and just stops.

Welp, I've had it, so I'm removing Flash.
    Yeah, you can just enable HTML5 support on Youtube. But I warn you, the automatic resolution mechanism works just the same. I believe there are a few more options to prevent it, actually.
    #
    Narvius 10 years ago
    So today I tried out streaming games. Mostly Skullgirls, the community of which I drew most of my 4-5 viewers from, and some minor amounts of Touhou near the end.

www.twitch.tv/suivran

There. And whenever I'm streaming, I'm changing my Steam nick to that address as well, which seems to work in attracting viewers.

Edited 10 years ago
    #
    E_net4 10 years ago
    So THAT explains your suspicious and temporary name change some days ago.
    #
    Forum » Thread title goes here
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: