Email: Password:
Forum » - Forsaken II -
  • « previous
  • » next
  • - Forsaken II -

Casanova 19 years ago
    New version available for download, you will need Notrium 1.31:

New in this version:
    - Added bonfires and fire extinguishing scripts.
    - Removed search function, too buggy
    - Implemented tool use ( letter "Q" ) :
    -added fishing rod
    -added plow
    -added bucket of water
    -added option to drink water at river
    - Fixed the placement of bridges
    - Added wolf and boar AI

The field watering script is not working currently.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I just did a quick update. It seems that there was a syntax error in the script, and the game stoped ignoring it after the bugfix.

New:
    - Bonfire leaves ashes behind.
    - Added map particle for river, bonfire, bridge and tree.
    - Custom sounds for several events.
    - Fishing now works. Cook fish over a fire.
    - 2 more areas south of the cave.
    - Fixed the error in crop planting.

So here is the latest version:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sergio.sites4.us/Notrium/ForsakenAlpha4.rar">http://sergio.sites4.us/Notrium/ForsakenAlpha4.rar</a><!-- m -->

And here is my humble and updated website:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sergio.sites4.us/">http://sergio.sites4.us/</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I posted in response to your wanting to know about how you get clips to work. It's fairly detailed, but if you've got any severe problems with it you can PM me.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Has anyone actually dowloaded this? Do you have any feedback to give on it? Or do you just dont care? Because if thats the case I might as well stop working on this.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I do care, however, I don't really have time to test every single minor update that you (or anyone for that instance) release. I would prefer to see the final product in one go, rather then discorvering the combinations, areas, new fun things etc before the mod is complete.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I actually took the time to test it myself. I'll list some of my findings.

-The ocean in the start didn't strike to me as water when it was dark. Possibly animate it, or give it a sound?

-The boars are hilarious circling each other. I like how they run away when you approach them, good work on that.

-The text which appears when you pick up coconuts is paged wrong. You have "useful.\\Not", but it should instead of course be
    "useful. \ Not" or "useful. Not"

-While using the seeds with G works, it might make for better usability to have them use either the same system the hoe has, or use them as a weapon.

-When the fire at the beginning burned out (it was planned, wasn't it?) the screen suddenly just turned black. It might make it easier for the eyes to use multiple small fires at the same location with different life times.

-Dying of thirst came really fast for me. I didn't first notice I was thirsted, then I was quickly killed before getting to the river.

-Notrium crashed on me dying for the thirst. I didn't have time to find the problem, but I checked that there are some textures missing: smoke.png, waterblock.png
    You can usually find these out by searching the debug_start.txt for any occurrences of the text "error".

This was just a few minutes test, but Forsaken is definitely starting to look like a game of it's own. I could put a newsitem on one of the future test versions on the main page, you might get more feedback.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    I have tried the mod, and I really like the concept. 'Stranded' in a 2D style has much more opportunity to become pretty deep.

Unfortunately, it's hard to comment until there's some semblance of a game. Playing it at the moment just brings disappointment at the features that are hinted at, but aren't working yet.
    I would bugtest it, which is what you've released it for, I think - but I am, of course, busy with my own at the moment.

It is hard doing something like this, in that you can do something really clever with the code, but nobody will know it was clever but you, and nobody will really care until there's a game with that feature. You have to do it for yourself at this stage, and not other people.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Keep at it Torment. It's a very promising mod. It's safe to say there will be mods that are simply given up on. You don't need to be one of them. Try and keep at it and others will surely be jealous of it and that will spawn interest in modding which is what we all ideally want. We want to see more mods, but we obviously want them of some quality. As roburky stated you really do need to do it for yourself first and foremost. Take pride in your work and you'll have no trouble plowing through any problems that arise
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just wanted to know if there was enougt interest in it to justify the effort i am putting into it.

What I will do now is stop posting the small updates I do on the mod. So within 1-2 months I will announce when the whole things is complete.

Though I would appreciate if someone could help me test it along the way. If you have time to do so, the latest version will always be availible at my website, and you can send me a message with your feedback on it.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    i would also suggest, to keep intrest, to post what updates you have made and what you are currently working on, even if you don't post the current version of the mod as well. Although I havn't downloaded all your versions, I am still interested in what you have been doing.
    #
    drgamer 19 years ago
    I can't seem to get to your site...
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Website is down. I got banned for hosting game related files, Freaking ridiculous. So for the moment, if you want to play the beta, you can download it from here:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://briefcase.yahoo.com/sergioenriquez@sbcglobal.net">http://briefcase.yahoo.com/sergioenriquez@sbcglobal.net</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I just set up a new hosting account at:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://casanova.trap17.com/Notrium.html">http://casanova.trap17.com/Notrium.html</a><!-- m -->

Check it out! Its pimp!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    You got banned for posting game related? Gee, tough. I would get a new host.
    #
    Eric 19 years ago
    Nice river effect...

I just started playing... the only complaint so far, is your "zones" are to small... But that could just be the beta version...

I couldn't start a fire... what is the sequence, or is it not implemented? Nor could I cook the fish or boar.

For the raw fish, you could put a message like: "Hmmm... Raw fish... I don't think I'm ready for sushi yet..."

More as I test...
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    There is not way for the player to create a fire yet. I still have to decide on a way to implement it, but I think i will have it ready by build 6.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Yes, bigger areas would be great. But overall, it's amazing. Great job!
    #
    Eric 19 years ago
    OK, I don't feel so bad now. I did find a cave, and prompty got chased out.

I am waiting to see what you can make with a needle and thread.

And are shelters implemented yet? If so, can you give me some hints?
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    There are no shelters yet, but right now the weather is very friendly so there is no need for them.

So far these are my ideas for shelters:

-The old one made from branches and leaves and cord. Protects from rain and wind, but not from the cold.
    -One made from 3 branches and some animal hides, and a nedlee and thread. Will provide excellent protection from the cold.
    - Use the shovel to dig a hole in the ground, then cover it with some leaves and sticks. Or maybe this should be some sort of trap?
    - The cave itself would be a decent shelter, albeit a cold one. So a big fire would be needed during the night.

Fire making will work like this:

- Take some tinder (dry leaves, tree bark, broken sticks) and place it on the ground
    - Set in on fire by producing sparks over it (need 2 flints), or by using an already burning branch.
    - Then drop a branch/sticks over it so it can grow into a bonfire.
    - Every day or so you will need to drop another branch so it doesnt die out.

Do you think this would work and not confuse players? Do you have some other ideas?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Making a fire like that would not be something I would implement in the main game, it would be too complicated for a beginner. But I think it's different in Forsaken, most of the players are already seasoned players of Notrium and know the interface. Basically if you give the players enough info on how to do the fire, it could work very well.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    As long as it's described well.
    #
    the duke 19 years ago
    Not only branches to be used as fuel for the fire but also use the pieces of the logs that you collected.

Fires dying out and being fed and the way that you described making them are all very good ideas and should be well explained at the beginning.

The pictures of the tools that are being used look great and make the game have a better feel.

Overall your mod is prgressing nicely and is very interesting. I've wantted a mod like this ever since I saw the game. I want someone to make a good remake of Spiffenbach, that was a fun game. Stranded was a pretty bad game IMHO but whatever.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Spiffenbach? I have never heard of that game before. I tried searching for it on google, nothing came out. Did you spell it correctly?
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    Schiffbruch (aka Shipwreck) is the spelling
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3556">http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3556</a><!-- m --> is a link to the underdogs entry. I liked the game, but it has low replay value.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    I had a look at this today. It's come on a way.

The footsteps didn't seem to be working properly. There would be one step, and then a whole bunch at the same time, which both looked wierd with the big gap, and sounded very odd.
    The boars seemed to all cluster around a particular spot in the area below the start. They kept jostling to hold that particular spot, which looked odd.
    The large trees - they went transparent when the player moved into the centre of them, but around the edge they were still very much opaque.
    I noticed the player has a large light around them. Was this for testing purposes?
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I never noticed any problems with the way footsteps look. On what terrain did you say thins happened? And I dont think I can chage the way the transparency of the trees work.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    The footstep thing happens on all terrains.

I'm not sure why the thing with the trees occurs, but I mentioned it because it definitely doesn't happen with the regular trees.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    I think it's because the trees are so big. It does happen on normal trees; its just that they are small and you can't see the effect.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    What do you think should be the time period for the mod? Victorian or modern age? This will affect the items availible at the start and the possible means of being rescued.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Victorian, definetly. I've had enough of machine guns and other things, it'd be far more origanal to start off with an ancient pistol or sword.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    how long ago is victorian?
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    The victorian period ended at about the beginning of last century.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    So about the time when Cruesoe was supposed to have crashed in the book.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    i dont think it matters either way anyway, if your trapped on a deserted island, there is no machine guns, ancient pistols or swords. Its whatever can be made from the island. As for the means of rescue, depending on how deserted the island is, it doesnt matter what time peroid either. No planes boats etc came by the island on 'castaway' (i know this is a movie [and not a good one at that] but there are islands that no boats or planes travel by)
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    Indeed. It could, in fact, even be the same universe as Notrium (Not that I'm suggesting you do this). What the rest of the world is up to doesn't matter to your lonely, forsaken guy.
    #
    Forum » - Forsaken II -
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: