Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium Special Surprise Edition! (AKA Notrium was Steam Greenlit!)

Notrium Special Surprise Edition! (AKA Notrium was Steam Greenlit!)

E_net4 8 years ago
This is probably not recent news, but it wasn't announced here either, so I figured I'd give it a go: Notrium was accepted on Steam Greenlight, which means it will be available to install directly via Steam.

This is wonderful news. We might even find more people interested in creating mods and working on OpenNotrium.

And if I may... I wonder if Ville was already contacted on the subject, and whether there's an open door for OpenNotrium to be distributed once it reaches our 1.0 milestone.

Edit: You can buy the special surprise edition of Notrium now!

Edited 8 years ago
#
ville 8 years ago
Well spotted! I'm debating on whether to have a slightly updated version there, or maybe a whole new kind of a Notrium game there. As of yet I don't have concrete plans on which way to go yet.
#
Quanrian 8 years ago
Not sure what exactly this means but congrats.
#
ville 8 years ago
Thanks Quanrian! It means that Notrium will be available on Steam. I'm probably going to do a Notrium Special Edition with Steam integration and some small improvements. And maybe even a surprise!
#
E_net4 8 years ago
And it's on! I'll purchase the special edition as soon as I get the chance!
#
ville 8 years ago
And be sure to post a review on Steam!
#
E_net4 8 years ago
And that's done.

I would also like to post some additional feedback. Shall I place it here or in a new topic?
#
ville 8 years ago
Feel free to post anywhere. Here is as good as any. And thanks for the support!
Edited 8 years ago
#
E_net4 8 years ago
This should do the trick, right?
Here goes:

Even before buying the game, I was already surprised by two things:

(1) the screenshots were 16:9, so that suggested a support for widescreen resolutions (which I confirmed later on, very nice!).
(2)
Buy Notrium, and support the development of our new game!
This can only mean that you really are working on something new, right? I wonder if it really is the sequel to Notrium.

Now, actual game-wise:

- In this version, the top-view camera is not afraid to move beyond the map, showing black regions and non-interpolated edges around it. I felt a slight reduction of immersion with this, and I wonder if this was really intended.

- The 3D sound might also be a bit off. Some sounds that are slightly far away are barely audible (e.g. picking up items, putting out fires), whereas sounds produced by the player are sometimes deafening (e.g pebble shotgun).

- I had the feeling that I obtained the Murderous Frenzy achievement too soon in the game (took me perhaps 20 in-game days in a hard playthrough by killing less than half of the available robots, aliens and marines in the world). I wonder what's the criterion for getting this one.

- I wonder where the settings file is in this verion. Having a second option for running a setup program on Steam would probably be useful as well.

- Edit: Oh, one more thing, any plans for having steam trading cards and other Steam-related goodies?

That's it for now.

Edited 8 years ago
#
ville 8 years ago
The camera is intentional, I felt that it was better to go for playability here, and the player moving off-center was always very difficult to control for me. I didn't touch the sounds at all, I will take a look and see if there's something to be done there. As for the achievement, you're right I think - it's the second most common achievement. When thinking about the number of kills I just used my own two playthroughs, but apparently I tend to kill a lot less aliens than most.

There is no setup program in this version, it was too much of a hassle to have it since I couldn't compile the original anymore, and it's better to just have the game start without setups. I realize some people might want to change the resolution though, so I should probably add the option to do that inside the game. As for the trading cards, no plans yet.

Thanks for the input! And you're right, we may be working on something.
#
ville 8 years ago
You were absolutely right, the sounds were completely bugged. And what's more, apparently the environment sounds were non-framerate limited, so when I tried with an unlocked fps, I got a cacophony of bird twitters.
#
E_net4 8 years ago
Ok, there's still one tiny thing bothering me: how do I get the hidden Mortal achievement anyway? I actually managed to complete all others without getting this one, does that make me a good Notrium player?
#
ville 8 years ago
You're guessing right, you've got to die enough times to get the achievement. Most people seem to manage it.
#
MageKing17 8 years ago
I'll be sure to pick this up as soon as I get the chance.
#
ZeXLR8er 8 years ago
Just a quick non-mod related (I think!) bug: tiles on the lower bottom and right edges of a map with an uncross-able boundary don't render with the correct blending between terrain types. These tiles are also inaccessible to the player, even though they are visible.

http://imgur.com/a/t9nNV
#
ville 8 years ago
Good point, I'll make a note of that.
#
Bladekill1298 8 years ago
Where are the save files for this version because they aren't in the Notrium folder like in the downloadable version
#
ville 8 years ago
They're in C:\Users\your name here\AppData\Roaming\Notrium
#
Bladekill1298 8 years ago
thank you Ville!
#
Guestt (guest) 4 years ago
No more FREEware Notrium...

Online-DRM/"STEAM"-drug (& its money) - "eat" ville...
#
Forum » Notrium Special Surprise Edition! (AKA Notrium was Steam Greenlit!)

Your email:
Your name: