Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Learning C++
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Learning C++

ville 19 years ago
    Weird, I didn't. Mods, PM me if you did it, otherwise I need to check on quite a few things.

And back on topic. I always say the best way to learn programming is by doing. First you need to motivate yourself by starting a project (the game of your dreams!), then code it. That's the way I did it, although the game didn't quite turn out to be the game of my dreams.

And let it be known that my first game Magebane 1 was written in Visual Basic, it's no shame starting with an easier language than C++ or Java. These days there are very good game making programs available, you could even use those.
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    "void24601" said:
    In school I think they teach you a bit of Visual Basic in yr 10 and up.

Year 10 and up? Where do you live Void? Cuz I'm 12...and haven't even heard of Visual Basics till a couple days ago.

Anyone know a good VB tutorial site? I googled for some...but they were all crappy or too advanced...
    #
    Crazy 19 years ago
    that means 10 years of school
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Anyone know a good VB tutorial site? I googled for some...but they were all crappy or too advanced...

hmmm... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone1/index.htm">http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone1/index.htm</a><!-- m -->

might be helpful. It has quite a bit of source code and articles that you can learn from.
    #
    SkullAK 19 years ago
    Im learning java at college at the moment, its hard, but when you get into it, it gets easier. Oh and java is used quite alot of standalone programs, but c/c++ is used more often as it runs faster.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    hmm...I think I should post this site here
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://planet-source-code.com/">http://planet-source-code.com/</a><!-- m -->
    it's a great site with much code and tutorials/texts about everything
    there are the most known programming languages.
    have fun
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Wow...

Modest Mouse = Pretty good stuff... ;D

Anydiddlywhosawhatsits... C++ tutorial is being read by me...

I dislike bees.

Cheese does not go in pants

Butter != spread

Chicken != atomicdestabilizationary raygun fuel

Feet != smell good

Yeah... Why did I just do that? Anyways... Even when I get C++ down, I will be skr00d... Yeah... I might one day have the talent and knowledge to program my ultimate game, but games need pictures... Pretty moving pictures... And I am graphically-challenged... That means I can't draw...

Alright already, we'll all float on...
    Alright, don't worry, we'll all float on...
    Alright, don't worry, even if things end up a bit too heavy...
    We'll all float on!
    Ok, don't worry, we'll all float on...
    Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on...

;D WHEEEEE! COWS!
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Zombie, please keep the spam on the other threads made for it.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Hey! Just because you don't know how to extract what I mean from my Crazy Posts of Crazily Craziness (TM (Well... actually... no...)) doesn't meant it's SPAM spam!

Anyways... I'm nuts like that... I'll give you a brief synopsis of what I was saying above, craziness excluded...

[ENTER TEH SERIOUZNESS]

Hello all of my various friend on Ville's fine forums of many threads!

I enjoy listening to the music-creating group known as Modest mouse, and I think their music is "Pretty good stuff". Smiling wink.

All unrelatedness asides, my good friends, I am currently reading the learning-orientated document on the topic of the C++ programming language.

In an out-of-topic fasion, though, my friends... I wish to inform you that I greatly dislike bees. I would also like to mention that you should not place cheese in your pants. Butter does not equal a spread, you know, chickens are not fuel for an atomicdestabilizationary raygun, and feet (in general) do not exude pleasant odors.

Just so you may know this, I have no idea why I have typed the above non-topic items. On a more on-topic message, when I am quite well learned at the C++ programming language, I will be royally and unmercifully screwed. Silly face. One day, I might posess the talent and knowledge required to program my ultimate game, but I lack the graphical creation skills to create the images, characters, and various other things that my game will need. I am graphically-challenged, you see. One who is graphically-challenged is unable to draw.

I now shall sing you some lyrics from a Modest Mouse song that I have taken a liking to:

Alright, don't worry, we'll all float on...
    Alright, don't worry, even if things end up a bit too heavy...
    We'll all float on!
    Ok, don't worry, we'll all float on...
    Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on...

In closing I wish to grin and wink, yell "Whee", yell "Cows", and close with a smile and a wink.

[END TEH SERIOUZNESS]

And there you are... As you can see, while my message is intergrated with what would be considered 'spam' elements, I am still staying on topic throughout the craziness...

However, I doubt your, "Zombie, please keep the spam on the other threads made for it." qualifies as on-topic for this thread.

You know what I mean, so thank you and goodbye person who is new to me! I hope you are well and never become critically ill or injured throughout the course of your (hopefully) very, very, very long and happy life.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    However, I doubt your, "Zombie, please keep the spam on the other threads made for it." qualifies as on-topic for this thread.

nice

Butter != spread

YAY! That's C++ syntax. THE DARK SIDE HAS MADE YOU STRONG ZOMBIE!

And I am graphically-challenged

That doesn't matter. Ville is lucky to be a talented programer and artist however if he wasn't he'd just get a graphics slave like crazy.

Also your obviously insane so you probably have what it takes to be an artist despite what you think.

Zombie wrote:
    kill... kill... kill.. Kill... KILL.... KILLLLLLLL!!!!!

I know you haven't said that yet but I almost certain it will come up in the near future.

POST ON MY IDEAS THREAD ZOMIBE. Post your universal game idea there in detail.
    #
    Crazy 19 years ago
    Crazy Posts of Crazily Craziness (TM (Well... actually... no...))

it is a TM! mine!
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    "void24601" said:

nice

Butter != spread

YAY! That's C++ syntax. THE DARK SIDE HAS MADE YOU STRONG ZOMBIE!

And I am graphically-challenged

That doesn't matter. Ville is lucky to be a talented programer and artist however if he wasn't he'd just get a graphics slave like crazy.

Also your obviously insane so you probably have what it takes to be an artist despite what you think.

Zombie wrote:
    kill... kill... kill.. Kill... KILL.... KILLLLLLLL!!!!!

I know you haven't said that yet but I almost certain it will come up in the near future.

POST ON MY IDEAS THREAD ZOMIBE. Post your universal game idea there in detail.

I know that was a nice one Void... I just couldn't resist! ;D *evil cackle*

I AM the dark side!

True, true...

*cough* I havn't said that yet?! Dear lord, where has my head gone?!

... ... ...

Kill... Kill... Kill... Kill... KILL... KILLLLLLLL!!!!!
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    you should check the trash can for your head I think...
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    No, it's not there...

But you should check the trash can for YOUR head in a second...

*sharpens longswords*

Anywho...

Ever realize that programming is confusing as hell when you don't know it, but the second you understand binary or even a basic programming language, it's simpler than hitting blind, deaf, and dumb people with large blunt objects?
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    I just need something to explain me things directly...
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Someone should write a Zombie Tutorial... ;P

Yeah... Anywho...

C++ is kind of easy... I think...
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Lets have a game making contest. You can use an medium you like (VB, C++, Delphi, C, Java, Flash). It will be good motivation to do some programming and the winner might be able to get there game (if it's not to big) posted on ville's site???? (At least a link to it). What do you all think? It could be over the course of three to six? months.

They'll probably all be pretty lame but it will be a start. Ville can judge? Rules?

EDIT: Just in case your wondering Ville CANNOT enter.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    Lets have a game making contest. You can use an medium you like (VB, C++, Delphi, C, Java, Flash). It will be good motivation to do some programming and the winner might be able to get there game (if it's not to big) posted on ville's site???? (At least a link to it). What do you all think? It could be over the course of three to six? months.

They'll probably all be pretty lame but it will be a start. Ville can judge? Rules?

EDIT: Just in case your wondering Ville CANNOT enter.
    hmm..good idea but before i can make graphic in c++ i won't join this contest (I need to learn more )
    Maybe you know a good DirectDraw tutorial...
    I like the idea (and not only because there are contest like this in near every forum *g*) so you can see what everyone here can do and maybe share it.

rules:
    -The games should be open source and not a hacked Doom 3 or Notrium
    -No asking for whole code samples like examples where the coder just needs to change the names of the vars
    -Ville Cannot enter...and No Ville don't change your name

Everyone who wants to enter the contest needs to say these things:
    -Nickname (lol)
    -Name of the game(can change in the process)
    -Code language
    -language of the game(prefered in english *g*)

How about this void?
    #
    Leego 19 years ago
    hmmm hey what about C++ for dummies you can buy it in
    Barnes & Nobles
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    I would be trying it... altough I can code a bit i'm not very good at games
    Can we use 3rd party software? and to what extend? (thinks of Q2 engine) that would be a bit lame perhaps? BUT... Notrium is also build on top of the Grim2D (?) engine...
    Someone define some nice rules in a new thread please when other people want to join

-Amarth
    #
    void 19 years ago
    It would probably be a good idea for Ville to define the rules. Ithink you should be able to use any method you like but you must give the details of anything you didn't create yourself (i.e. engine, graphics, concept) and all those things can be taken into account by the judge.

To include as many people as want to join you should also be allowed to use game making software but you'll get bonus points if you use a programming langauge.

hmm..good idea but before i can make graphic in c++ i won't join this contest (I need to learn more )
    Maybe you know a good DirectDraw tutorial...

You'll be learning as you make the game and if you can't pull it off use VB or something.

Direct draw isn't used anymore? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.32bits.co.uk/">http://www.32bits.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> this site has some good directx tutorials, I'm actually using it to learn directx (direct3d which can do everything direct draw can) at the moment.

hmmm hey what about C++ for dummies

That doesn't go into directx does it? It would have to be a pretty huge book.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    While I think a game making competition would be a fine thing, we would probably only get one or two competitors. There are plenty of competitions around already.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    We'll do a poll to see who will enter. Competitions else where would have people with experiance (to my knowledge noone here has really made a game). Besides we all know each other and it will be good to see what we can create.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Is this competition going to be for C/C++ only? Cause I dont know squat about it. ( nor do i care to learn it)
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    Well, C++ seems to be a wee bitty too hard (translation: I'm to lazy to learn it). So does anyone know where you could find a good Javascrip program...that's *free*?
    #
    void 19 years ago
    IT'S NOT JUST FOR C/C++! You can make your game any way you want too. Game making software, VB, anything!

So does anyone know where you could find a good Javascrip program...that's *free*?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/programming/javascript/tutorials/tutorial1.html">http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/pr ... rial1.html</a><!-- m -->

You can use this link to learn some of the basics of Javascript and then google when your ready for more advanced topics. If you make a game using Javascript you can enter that too.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Zombie needs some suggestions on C++ and C++ related books to buy...

Please lemme know what I should pick up? Books like learning to program in C++, learning different parts of C++ etc, etc, etc...
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Books I have:

The complete idiot's guide to C++ (first book I got, teaches you all of the basic things that all programmes should know)

Game Coding Complete ( I got this a little to quickly, it assumes you are already very good with C++ and Directx. Still it is and interesting book and it has tought me a bit but I'd advise against buying it until you has lots of skill)

C++: The complete Reference, 4th edition ( The book really is the complete reference however it is probably to had to learn from as it jumps all around the place, best just as a reference.)

My advice:
    Christmas is coming so ask you parents to buy you The complete idiot's guide to C++ and C++: The complete Reference Then read the first one and use the second to back it up. After you finish the idiot's guide you should be more comfortable learning from the reference.

Neither of these book cover Directx or open GL and I don't have a book that teaches you either of those.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.32bits.co.uk/">http://www.32bits.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> this site has very in depth tutorials on Directx 9 (the latest) so I would suggest using that when your ready for it.

It would also be a good idea to play around with other peoples source and try to understand it.

Remember to check amazon for reviews on these books to see if they suit you.

yar.
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    IT'S NOT JUST FOR C/C++! You can make your game any way you want too. Game making software, VB, anything!

So does anyone know where you could find a good Javascrip program...that's *free*?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/programming/javascript/tutorials/tutorial1.html">http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/pr ... rial1.html</a><!-- m -->

You can use this link to learn some of the basics of Javascript and then google when your ready for more advanced topics. If you make a game using Javascript you can enter that too.

I mean a program to download...not a tutorial...
    #
    Eric 19 years ago
    <blatant plug>
    I would like to take this time to mention the programming website I help run.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.programmers-corner.com">http://www.programmers-corner.com</a><!-- m -->

There are several good tutorials for game developing, using VB, and many good articles and tutorials on programming and game development.

</blatant plug>
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    JavaScript doesn't require programs, only an internet browser. If you're looking for a development IDE, i don't know, but most decent HTML-editors will have JavaScript support. I however don't see how you could code something very useful with Javascript, but hey, good luck . (although... isn't Wolfenstein 5k in JS? I'm too lazy to google for it)
    Now when you're talking about Java try Jcreator, great program, it's what we use in school and it work perfectly for me.
    In case it isn't clear: JavaScript is a lightweight scripting language, used on the internet. Java is a fullsized programming language that's heavily object oriented, and not the most ideal choice i think... But you choose of course.

-Amarth
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    *sigh*

Zombie is sick and sad...

Zombie is sad because Zombie is singular... Zombie wishes to be plural! He wants a happy-fun-friend of the female nature to have the happiness and the fun with in a relationship-type setting...

Zombie is lonesome...

*sigh*

Anyways, excluding my problems and third-person-ness... Thanks for the books and stuff... Any more suggestions would be appreciated... I wish it were easier to learn these things...
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I wish it were easier to learn these things...

I've said that to myself a million times..... and it doesn't work . As much as it pains you to hear it you just have to read, practice, and understand.

I mean a program to download...not a tutorial...

Amarth is right (i think). Any thing you make with javascript is going to need a web browser to run.
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    I went to that C++ site and wrote down some notes on the first few sections. I have a tiny bit of experience in Java but I don't know how much that'll help in learning C/C++
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I went to that C++ site and wrote down some notes on the first few sections. I have a tiny bit of experience in Java but I don't know how much that'll help in learning C/C++

YAY! Another programmer keep on learnig the language and enter our game making compitition. You don't have to be very good and it will motivate you to learn to program better.
    #
    Forum » Learning C++
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: